• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom wants to grow Monster Hunter in West, feels handhelds are limiting sales there

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe if this deal between Sony and Capcom happened, it was made before MHX/MHGen did 4+ million sales, including the decent sales in the West. And the potential of MH Portable being resurrected Switch is a reaction to that, and a way for Capcom to absorb possible losses from a Westernised MH5 bombing in Japan.

Neoxon

Sounds like MH is coming to PS4/Xbox One
Barring a moneyhat from any of the big three, Switch/PS4 seems more likely based on this quote. The 3DS being on its way out is probably forcing Capcom to actually go HD with the Monster Hunter franchise.

UCBooties

If they don't like Handheld performance in the West I guess I should give up hope on us getting Monster Hunter Stories here.

That's very disappointing.

Glass Rebel

I personally think it's quite hilarious how detached a portion of this forum is from the majority of the MH userbase. I can't tell if it's wishful thinking, ignorance, Sony fanboyism or just sheer stupidity.

Don't worry, you'll most likely get your PS4 Monster Hunter. That's no reason to make up shit like Sony moneyhats and platform exclusivity.

oti

Banned
,,I would love to see this series keep stagnating and keep archaic tech, because Nintendo <3"

lol what, I don't care. I've played maybe 3h of Monster Hunter in my life. I'm interested in the business side of things here and the implications of going to consoles.

If they don't like Handheld performance in the West I guess I should give up hope on us getting Monster Hunter Stories here.

That's the most infuriating part of this thread.

The fuck they want? MH is already selling 1 million copies in the west. Is that not enough? This fucking company is hard to please.
Fuck them.

Akiller

They are gonna just release Dragon's Dogma Online as Monster Hunter something in the West, judging from what i've read on Gaf I'm sure none will notice the difference.

Sounds kind of similar to what SE was saying about DQ prior to the DQXI announcement so multiplatform MH is sounding likely. I wonder if they'll have some way to do MP without fracturing the base though, I always felt that a major issue holding back MH in the west was handhelds not being as socially acceptable to be playing in a group in public as it is in Japan.

Kebiinu

Banned
Y'all will get your PS4 MH at some point...

It'll be a Switch port, and y'all are gonna just have to deal.

DrArchon

As long as the gameplay stays the same, they can do whatever they want with it. But I'm still worried that they're gonna fuck up the reasons I love the series by "Westernizing" it too much, just like they did when they got NT to make DmC. Just improve the graphics and keep everything else the same.

TunaLover

I still don't see them splitting the userbase on two platforms for the handheld-focused main games unless they find some way to do it like 3DS/WiiU but for a Nintendo platform and a Sony platform (i.e. good fucking luck). I assume it'll be Switch for mainline, MHO/MHF for PC/PS4/Switch, and mobile somewhere.
That would make too much sense, with a spin off they have more freedom to adapt this to western audiences.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
There are a million more reasons for Sony to collaborate with MH than there is with SFV. And like you said, they helped funding SFV anyway.

What are those million reasons ? They wouldnt wanna pay if it sells as much as the previous console MH games sold.

Vita bombed though, that's why it never got a real MH game (only the online crap).

Sony should have secured MH pre-launch obv - PSV bombed only when it was clear that the IP made the Switch to 3DS.

I personally think it's quite hilarious how detached a portion of this forum is from the majority of the MH userbase. I can't tell if it's wishful thinking, ignorance, Sony fanboyism or just sheer stupidity.

Don't worry, you'll most likely get your PS4 Monster Hunter. That's no reason to make up shit like Sony moneyhats and platform exclusivity.

That's called revenge

crinale

Considering "handheld performance", I think we must consider the unit price too. Like I said MH team is gicantic, if not the biggest, dev team Capcom is currently carrying, and they aren't even hiding that either.

I remembered Square's Wada being fried at investor meeting by making DQ9 handheld game (thus setting unit price at low point). He was forced to say he will make the unit price as high as possible.

Orayn

Just going to assume this is referring to MH on Switch, which will mean a de facto console version while keeping the series portable for Japan. More would be welcome, but I won't get my hopes up.

Everyone wishing for the series to "evolve" into another generic AAA can go take a hike. The series already has an identity.

Well without Nintendo moneyhats this seems absolutely logical idea so I don't see why people are so shocked. Porting Switch version to PS4/XBO/PC will cost them next to nothing and at the very least will net them some extra sales. Now when we also know that Switch will be able to produce very modern graphics porting the game makes even more sense as the game can look decent on home consoles and PC with rather minimal effort.

Ridley327

Stories is in a weird spot because of the multimedia angle. If the anime doesn't take off in Japan and there isn't much of an interest for it on whatever site they're using for simulcasts, it gets more and more difficult to justify bringing it over.

Future is bright as far as im concerned

Im actually sour that we may have to wait yest another year though

hopefully XX on 3ds isnt the only project they have

Need some switch or ps4 action for 2017

Lernaean

Banned
They are gonna just release Dragon's Dogma Online as Monster Hunter something in the West, judging from what i've read on Gaf I'm sure none will notice the difference.

Definitely. They don't even point out that a console MH exists. It's called Frontier.
It is less about wanting to play MH, if they did there are several ways, and more about "lolz we got your gamez".
The supposed "MH community that waits for HD MH" actually has no idea about the series, or what makes it successful.

Eolz

Im so ready for the the future where we dont need to have these discussions anymore

Be it on switch, ps4 or both

I imagine the new complaints will be gameplay and mechanics related going forward

Ah yeah I remember when people thought the discussion would stay about mechanics once the series got a lock for 3DS this gen.
It'll happen in every MH thread forever.

Then they need to release on PS4 and Bone, give the series time to grow and not be quick to get upset over sales.

Switch exclusive would be dumb considering it doesn't have an install base yet.

Is that the same argument as when people thought it would go on vita?

The 4chan rumor and my speculation, yes. Sony already helped them paying the development of SFV and this would be no different and if they had a good chance to get MH, I see no reason they wouldn't just pay up for it.

SFV was a good exclusive to get because Sony expected to jump on the good sales of IV in the west and to have all the esports promotion and reputation.
I think you can see easily how much they care about Japan.

phanphare

Banned
sounds like Switch and PS4 for the next mainline game

hope they'll have cross platform multiplayer but I know Sony doesn't typically like stuff like that

sanstesy

Make shit up? Calm down. I see no problem with speculating that Sony moneyhats MH to get platform exclusivity, especially with the 4chan rumor being a thing. No matter what you think of 4chan rumors, when there is smoke there is fire. ;)

The Hermit

Ive been scratching my head as to why they waited so long to take advantage of the PS4 install base

Since its the same reason people kept defending the 3DS choice in Japan

The reason its simple. Cost.

Porting a 3DS game to the WiiU is fine, but people would find offensive if they did that to the PS4 without changing assets/models.

With the Switch they have a great middle ground to initially receive a port of the 3DS game, yet slowly changing the models so it can be easilly ported to the PS4/Xb1/PC.

We are talking about a series that hasnt changed much in graphics for a very a long time.

If they want to grow the series they have to expand out to consoles at some point. But you aren't getting an HD inly MH unless sony straight up paid for it. These games sell like 3-4 million in Japan alone and wih western releases add another million. Cut the Japanese sales down to 1-1.5 million, way increase development costs and where do the rest of the sales cone from? I hope none of you are going to say the west.

crinale

sounds like Switch and PS4 for the next mainline game

hope they'll have cross platform multiplayer but I know Sony doesn't typically like stuff like that

Square already announced DQ10 for Switch and PS4 so I'm assuming cross platform networking game is already possible in theory.

There's probably no way of knowing but the Xbox seems to be gaining momentum and Scorpio will have an impact so at least twice the number of PS4s in the wild than Xbox by 2020 seems a bit much, no?
Nah, it is right on time. The Xbox momentum is just concentrated in their strongest regions (US/UK) while the PS4 continues to dominate worldwide. Even in US/UK, the PS4 should reverse some of the deficit over the last few months this holiday.

jonno394

Make shit up? Calm down. I see no problem with speculating that Sony moneyhats MH to get platform exclusivity, especially with the 4chan rumor being a thing. No matter what you think of 4chan rumors, when there is smoke there is fire. ;)

I could go on 4chan now and post my own rumour, completely made up, but you'd buy in to it because "there's no smoke without fire"?

Glass Rebel

If you're seriously discussing that 4ch rumour as something that is even remotely real you're a complete idiot. There's no other way to say it, sorry.

MH5 might show up on PS4, it might not. That greentext is still absolute bollocks.

phanphare

Banned
Square already announced DQ10 for Switch and PS4 so I'm assuming cross platform networking game is already possible in theory.

oh that's cool, didn't realize that

haven't been paying attention to DQX at all

so cross platform play was confirmed for that? or is that just assumed because it's an mmo?

If they want to grow the series they have to expand out to consoles at some point. But you aren't getting an HD inly MH unless sony straight up paid for it. These games sell like 3-4 million in Japan alone and wih western releases add another million. Cut the Japanese sales down to 1-1.5 million, way increase development costs and where do the rest of the sales cone from? I hope none of you are going to say the west.

The west cause PS4 of course.

forms

PS4 seems like the obvious choice, market wise. Matbe I am biased, as I never got into it on the Nintendo platforms on a similar level as on the PSP. Then again, ai hardly know anyone using Nintendo devices nowadays.

crinale

oh that's cool, didn't realize that

haven't been paying attention to DQX at all

so cross platform play was confirmed for that? or is that just assumed because it's an mmo?

Unfortunately it hasn't been confirmed yet. However making PS4 only version really doesn't sound plausible so I just assumed it would be cross-platform.

Orayn

Capcom is going to cancel Monster Hunter.

Holy shit guys, a NeoGAF rumor! Where there's smoke there's fire! They're really going to do it!

Banned
Looks like Monster Hunter won't be Switch exclusive by the sounds of it. Unless the Switch moves units as fast as the PS4 is.

Ridley327

While this is true, I don't think you can apply the same logic that Sony would be as open to something that would presumably be peer-to-peer like previous Monster Hunter titles versus a straight-up MMO.

Actually, that's a really good question the Japanese crowd: do all the various versions of MHFO share the same servers, or are they isolated based on their platform?

The west cause PS4 of course.

I love how people keep saying western MH success on console is impossible

They have never had a release on console in the west that wasnt compromised in some way

Were they to have a flagship console release on PS4 with all the right features... Who knows how far they could go.

Ehh.. I get the skepticism on both sides at least. Putting a game on Ps4 and "getting it right" are two different arguments

Lernaean

Banned
Lol it will sell better on other platforms too especially on PC, there are fanbases there too who don't like playing on Nintendo consoles and of course new fans can join too

So there are fans of the game who prefer to not play their game at all for a decade, rather than playing it on Nintendo consoles?
Why? Buttons too clicky?

So there are fans of the game who prefer to not play their game at all for a decade, rather than playing it on Nintendo consoles?
Why? Buttons too clicky?

I'm a big Monter Hunter fan, and yet i'm not getting the 3DS episodes because i just can't play on 3DS with my big hands. I'll be back if it's on WiiU/ Switch / PS4 / One / PC / Real life tho'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom