• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom x Microsoft announcement...Monster Hunter Frontier Online. Stand down, people

Luigiv

Xanafalgue said:
I've never played a Monster Hunter game but Monster Hunter Frontier Online looks soooo cute :D And pretty fun. Whats with the graphics though, have they not updated them? Is it a straight port from PC?

I would get this in a heartbeat if it were to be released outside of Japan.
Yes it's a straight port of the PC version which is itself a PS2 port with some higher res textures and added Direct X effects. That being said, it's exclusive content is better looking then the ported content, so some parts will look better then others.

Klyka

Banned
I can't believe people are so shocked about the "HDD only" thing.

Does anyone even own a 360 without a HDD? If so, kill yourself, seriously.

Klyka said:
I can't believe people are so shocked about the "HDD only" thing.

Does anyone even own a 360 without a HDD? If so, kill yourself, seriously.

Microsoft sold the Xbox 360 Core with Blue Dragon in Japan as a bundle. Same with Eternal Sonata. It's not unlikely that most 360 users in Japan don't have a HDD.

Agnates

Banned
MightyKAC said:
-Its first choice was the uber popular Wii but it had a tough time getting 1 million sales let alone 1 million subscriptions so that was out.
You really believe MHFO will do better on 360 than Tri on Wii, and won't have trouble passing a million in Japan? That's like 90% of the 360 install base right there :lol

And if anyone thinks that even if this thing gets a Western release it's going to have any meaningful advertising push, well, lol. Chances are it will even retain the monthly fees since the server backend is heftier than Tri's and it's not a big title for Microsoft to take a hit for it. Good luck selling that over here :lol

The only way I see this selling anything meaningful at all is if Nintendo somehow strikes a chord with their marketing and Monster Hunter Tri actually gets a name for itself in the West (if that happens it'll be a miracle), then MHFO doesn't come much later and rides that bandwagon, and/or renews interest with a decent commercial.

manzo

Agnates said:
You really believe MHFO will do better on 360 than Tri on Wii, and won't have trouble passing a million in Japan? That's like 90% of the 360 install base right there :lol

I'd be shocked if MHFO 360 even breaks 100k.

Agnates said:

And if anyone thinks that even if this thing gets a Western release it's going to have any meaningful advertising push, well, lol. Chances are it will even retain the monthly fees since the server backend is heftier than Tri's and it's not a big title for Microsoft to take a hit for it. Good luck selling that over here :lol

The only way I see this selling anything meaningful at all is if Nintendo somehow strikes a chord with their marketing and Monster Hunter Tri actually gets a name for itself in the West (if that happens it'll be a miracle), then MHFO doesn't come much later and rides that bandwagon, and/or renews interest with a decent commercial.

I might be wrong but I don't believe that's what he said at all.
I think he's talking more along the lines of for whatever reasons it just didn't work out for Capcom in dealing with the other companies but for reasons we might not see they saw an opportunity to negotiate a deal with Microsoft.

From Microsoft's perspective I think this is probably more along the lines of investing now with the hopes of this deal paying off much further down the road. Just getting the Monster Hunter name associated with the XBOX brand in Japan could payoff a couple generations down the road so they might not mind taking the initial hit just to get those brands together.

Microsoft knows they cannot dominate Japan but that doesn't mean they can't keep expanding their business in Japan. People are always giving MS the lolz when it comes to business in Japan but MS is still growing and increasing marketshare. Yeah, its small, but it could be far worse.

I hope some of that made sense.

bengraven

I think this is pretty cool actually. I liked Freedom 2 on the PSP and played it quite a bit for a few weeks until...well that's a long story.

Didn't this NOT come to the PC in America? Wouuld be cool to get it here, with no monthly fees, pull a Guild Wars.

Duran

Considering this is a direct port from the PC to the 360(a vastly inferior userbase) and that most people who are interested in MHFO already play it on their PC anyway, I don't see how this game would do great. Perhaps the dual member/gold subscription could push moderate sales, but I'd think for anyone who wanted to play MHFO would already has played/is playing. New MH players will comprise of ~75% sales methinks.

Hopefully MHF is just testing the waters for something much, much bigger.

With Capcoms top tier studios finishing up Lost Planet 2 and the RE5 expansion, the question that is begging to be answered is what is in store next. Perhaps if MHF can carve a decent base on the 360, it will be to lay the foundation for MH4.

Wishful thinking, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who has thought of this and is having dreams of a brand new, MT powered MH game with LP2 level visuals.

mutsu

Arpharmd B said:
Hopefully MHF is just testing the waters for something much, much bigger.

How many "test" games does Capcom need to put out before finally releasing something big?

Hint: Look at GameCube / Wii.

mutsu said:
How many "test" games does Capcom need to put out before finally releasing something big?

Hint: Look at GameCube / Wii.

Maybe the RE gun shooters on Wii were never tests. Maybe they just think the Wii is best suited for those types of games, hence why they keep churning them out.

Perhaps test isn't a good word. I'm saying they could be laying the foundation for something huge and this is just to find a pricing structure that works.

Tenbatsu

2znpugw.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1232402_1124.html

NeOak

Just preordered. NCS put the game for preordering today along with a bonus DLC card that it seems they are giving to early preorders.

June 24 is the date.

I hope they don't ban non-Japanese ips for the 360 version.

I'd like to use my US Live account for this game too :lol

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
coooool, i always wanted to play one of these games. hope it comes out to the US (and i can convince some friends to buy it :lol )

thundr51

Was thinking of jumping in on this on the Wii, since there was no fee. But the odds are REALLY low of me doing so on the 360 if there's a monthly fee.

Some new screens appeared, and may lightning strike me dead this very instant if this isn't the best screenshot in the history of screenshots:

5lurtw.jpg

Although I must say there are some worthy contenders in that same batch.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They're not gonna port it straight up from a 2 year old PC game right ?

i mean surely they're going to enhance it somewhat .. or am I being too optimistic ?

Gomu Gomu

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Some new screens appeared, and may lightning strike me dead this very instant if this isn't the best screenshot in the history of screenshots:

5lurtw.jpg

Although I must say there are some worthy contenders in that same batch.
:lol :lol
Seriously, who captured those screens and what was he smoking?

Luigiv

chandoog said:

i mean surely they're going to enhance it somewhat .. or am I being too optimistic ?
Yes. PS2+ graphics all the way!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Luigiv said:
Yes. PS2+ graphics all the way!

well it's not like MH Tri has anything better than PS2+ graphics too ( aside from the new lightning system ) and at least this game is clearly a port and not a sequel like Tri ( animations , and models are lifted from PS2 games.).

but let's hope we see a new Monster Hunter running on MT Framework engine someday.

Luigiv

Totobeni said:
well it's not like MH Tri has anything better than PS2+ graphics too ( aside from the new lightning system ) and at least this game is clearly a port and not a sequel like Tri ( animations , and models are lifted from PS2 games.).

but let's hope we see a new Monster Hunter running on MT Framework engine someday.
Play Tri already! You couldn't be further from the truth.

DoubleRathian.png

600px-RathalosDifference.png

800px-DiablosCompare.png

Also, MHFO does run on MT Framework...

chandoog said:

Which, is already using assets from a 6 year old PS2 game >.<

I really wish that Monster Hunter Frontier had updated graphics, and ofc, was actually released in Europe.

Luigiv said:
Also, MHFO does run on MT Framework...

It does oO Certainly didn't look like it when I played on the free Korean servers.

Luigiv

Metalmurphy said:
It does oO Certainly didn't look like it when I played on the free Korean servers.
Yeah, it was ported over in season 4.0 or something like that. It's effectively the same thing as Half-Life Source, old assets in a modern engine.

Momo

Banned
I had a look on play asia and they are shipping this title already, how longs it been out and does anyone have impressions to share?

Momo said:
I had a look on play asia and they are shipping this title already, how longs it been out and does anyone have impressions to share?

would also like to know if anyone is playing this. supposedly on release week it sold 93,000 and boosted 360 sales to 17k some that week.

Top Bottom