• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's difficult position

MVCI looks like it's going to be a blunder too tbh.

RE7 isn't done selling but it also won't ever come close to 5/6 sales and it has almost zero chance of hitting Capcom's 2m FY target. The decline here is real.

I expect MHW to underperform versus gen 3/4 globally too, but it should still do a good 2-3m on consoles hopefully and they can always save it with a later handheld conversion (a la Tri/3rd).

Most of these are just your projections. RE6 without re-releases sold around 6.8 million iirc.....so RE7 has already sold more than half of that.

MVCI looks like it's going to be a blunder too tbh.

RE7 isn't done selling but it also won't ever come close to 5/6 sales and it has almost zero chance of hitting Capcom's 2m FY target. The decline here is real.

I expect MHW to underperform versus gen 3/4 globally too, but it should still do a good 2-3m on consoles hopefully and they can always save it with a later handheld conversion (a la Tri/3rd).

They never expected RE7 to do as well as 5/6 and even now it's most likely going to miss its projection mark much less dramatically than 6. For singular RE releases before 5, 7 also beats all original launches other than RE2.

jrDev

They still are, though. SFV is their biggest mishandling in recent times but RE7 was very good and Monster Hunter World looks like it'll be the best in the series. Itsuno's project (DMC5?) is due to be announced sooner than later too and Itsuno has made some of Capcom's best titles.

I'm not seeing what you're seeing in terms of quality games. They still make them.
Nah, RE7 was mishandled...

Pompadour

How much of those will be sold as a budget title or part of a bundle? Capcom's games lose a lot of value fast.

It's still money. One of the reasons I believe Capcom won't abandon SFV is they'll miss out on port/re-release money a decade from now when the stigma is gone.

Anyway, non-Nintendo games lose value fast. If you have a PC you can get any new fighting game pre-order for like $40 if you look for deals. Yeah, Capcom gives their games away for nothing all the time but I don't see that as desperate measures. Getting people to buy their games at launch for $60 is gravy more than anything.

Fiendcode

Most of these are just your projections. RE6 without re-releases sold around 6.8 million iirc.....so RE7 has already sold more than half of that.
3.7m isn't that far off from half of 6.8m. You can nitpick a figure of speech all you like but the decline is still significant and very real.

How well do you expect MHW to sell btw?

They never expected RE7 to do as well as 5/6 and even now it's most likely going to miss its projection mark much less dramatically than 6. For singular RE releases before 5, 7 also beats all original launches other than RE2.
For RE7 Capcom expected 4m last FY and 2m this FY. Lifetime RE7 likely won't crack 6m, the game has underperformed even Capcom's much lowered expectations.

RE6 only missed it's (revised) targets by 100k too so technically RE7 missed it's own by a wider margin of 500k.

I think one of the biggest issues with Capcom right now is their "marketing" approach, It is wrong on so many levels.

Look at DmC for example, It is not a bad game per say, nor is it that great, but falling short from sales was due to how they treated their fans, I remember the first trailer showing Dante smocking and I was like WTF, then Ninja Theory comments when fans voiced their concern, all of it was bad, heck reviewers were attacking fans for voicing their concern, it was outrageous.

Let's also look at Resident Evil 7, the game was a great return to form, but its first showing were really awful, from the first trailer and demo it gave the feeling of P.T clone, and with every showing and lack of clear and solid communication the game looked more and more like one of those hide and seek horror titles which are a dime dozen. It was very late in the marketing campaign where we actually starting seeing weapons in play, enemies, and health items, but at that point I believe many would have dismissed it already as another clone. The final game was pure gold, but the way leading to it wasn't, also it selling less is only natural, RE5\6 had Co-Op and bombastic action all around.

Then there is wasting many IPs/Money/Resources, like where is Deep Down and Pante Rhei Engine ?, Why haven't they doubled down on an Action Dino Crisis or a horror Dino Crisis, Dinosaurs would sell like hot cakes in these times, not to mention Onimusha, Ni-Oh sold quite well, and Onimusha would have sold much more.

So as I said, the problem remains, the marketing of Capcom is really messed up, they can't get their shit straight.

Lanrutcon

I've always felt RE7 was a more "targeted" RE game. Definitely not for everyone, definitely catering to a specific market.

Not surprised it under-performed despite being a solid title.

FRS1987

I think it's telling when anything referring to Capcom both negative or positive usually ends up being a conversation about SFV. It then ensues to become a fight between the defenders and people who dislike the game, who are the majority

I'm sure someone will bring up stream attendance numbers or EVO entrants but the general public realistically just isn't interested in 5 and the sales and negative press is proof. Both word of mouth and even reviewers with negative views says a lot about SF5.

This is my opinion but SF5 had promise but did too many things wrong to justify it, especially at the price. The cons severely outweigh the pros, even now after improvements and frankly it feels too little too late at this point.

I'm a massive Capcom fighter fan and still play the classics like SF2, Darkstalker series, and etc but (this is my opinion) SF5 does not feel like a capcom fighter. It has a weird feel and the mechanics feels like a jumbled mess of past mechanics with none of it meshing well at all.

Add this to the bad launch, the underhanded rootkit issue (which was solved shortly after), and the lack of polish, I find it hard to defend this game as a fan of the series and don't think I ever will. I still consider it the worst SF game and I've been playing SF games since the original SF2 back in 1992-93 and I know that might not mean much to many but after what previous SF games have accomplished (including SF4), SF5 feels like 10 steps back and 2 steps forward.

Aside from RE7, Capcom has been making massive mistakes since as far back as SFxT and then it just kept snowballing imo. Actually since Mega Man Legends 3 was cancelled, whichever was first.

Capcom has a problem a lot of Japanese publishers have in that they don't transition to newer hardware quickly and they don't bring over all the content they produce to the West. For small development titles and niche stuff I get it. But for stuff like MH, Ace Attourny etc I dont. If people can't get your mist recent games in a timely fashion it gurts your brand. Spend all that development on a game and then let there be year long gaps internationally. No wonder you cant build a brand.

BiggNife

No, it wasn't.

The only mistake I think Capcom made with RE7 was their "less is more" approach to marketing. A lot of people had the assumption that RE7 was an Outlast clone because that's basically what Beginning Hour is and the preview coverage was intentionally minimal. I think if they were more upfront about how RE7 plays, it might have worked in their favor.

Ridley327

And Tales is in such a huge decline it may never recover now. Again, not the wisest strategy.

It's possible, but since it looks as if we might be seeing it go multiplatform on consoles with whatever they have in the works for the Switch, I don't think the towel should be thrown in yet, especially with the history the series has on Nintendo hardware that I've felt has been largely untapped.

Top Bottom