• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's Onimusha the anime series premieres Nov 2 on Netflix

near

Gold Member
ENUS_OnimushaS1_Main_Vertical_RGB_Pre.jpg

The classic game is a landmark in the gaming world, known for its gripping survival action and stunning historical backdrop of Japan's tumultuous Warring States period. This is its first anime adaptation since debuting 22 years ago.

Taking the helm as supervising director is Takashi Miike, whose innovative depictions of cinematic swordplay in the critically acclaimed 13 Assassins and Blade of the Immortal have won over legions of fans. Together with director Shinya Sugai, celebrated for his work on CG anime Dragon’s Dogma, and animation studio Sublimation, they aim to revolutionize the anime landscape with their unique take on Onimusha.

The focus of this adaptation is on Miyamoto Musashi, modeled after the late Japanese screen icon Toshiro Mifune. Set in the early Edo Period, a time when Japan was transitioning towards peace, and warfare was fading into history, an aging Musashi embarks on a covert mission. Armed with the mythical "Oni Gauntlet," Musashi embarks on an epic journey to vanquish the lurking demons. The main theme song, “THE LONELIEST,” by Måneskin adds depth and emotion to the spellbinding saga.

What makes Onimusha truly groundbreaking is its fusion of cutting-edge 3D CGI character animations with beautifully hand-drawn backgrounds. This amalgamation of traditional and modern animation techniques promises to bring a fresh, immersive experience to both long-time fans and newcomers alike.

Project Details:

• Based on a game by: Capcom
  • Supervising Director: Takashi Miike (13 Assassins, Blade of the Immortal)
  • Director: Shinya Sugai (Dragon’s Dogma)
  • Writer: Hideyuki Kurata (Goblin Slayer, Made in Abyss)
  • Cast Likeness: Toshiro Mifune, Mifune Production
  • Music: Koji Endo (13 Assassins, Blade of the Immortal)
  • Historical Supervision: Shochiku Studio
  • Stunt Coordinator: Keiji Tsujii
  • Character Design: Kim Jung Gi, Manilyn Toledana for Musashi Miyamoto
  • Production: Sublimation (Dragon’s Dogma)
  • Main theme song: THE LONELIEST by Måneskin
  • Cast: Akio Otsuka, Hochu Otsuka, Daiki Yamashita, Subaru Kimura, Katsuyuki Konishi, Kazuyuki Okitsu, Makoto Furukawa, Aya Yamane, Ryohei Kimura, Toshihiko Seki

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
When they re-released Onimusha on modern systems back in 2019 and it looked like Capcom was testing the waters for the franchise, we wanted a new game. Sheesh.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Castlevania series is surprisingly good. Will definitely check this out. Hope this means that Capcom will reboot the series. Imagine a souls-style Onimusha reboot with the RE engine. 🙌🙏

radewagon

Where's Jean Reno?

Yeah, I know that's part 3, but if star wars can start with part 4, then clearly there are no rules.

mortal

Gold Member
It's strange how we keep getting anime for games that are dead franchises.
I know right? I suppose it's cheaper and less risky for them to license out the IP rather than greenlight another game.
The amount of awesome IPs Capcom is just sitting on is disappointing.

[Sigma]

Im not a fan of the CG here. Ive seen some studios do it well though. I will watch this nonetheless being a fan.

Last edited:
Im not a fan of the CG here. Ive seen some studios do it well though. I will watch this nonetheless being a fan.
I'm generally not a fan of CG in anime either, but it was done well enough in the Dragon's Dogma anime.

Will definitely give this and the DMC anime a chance as well.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It’s out.

Not sure why 3D CG anime with the graphical fidelity of Okami on the PS2 is being made in 2023, with Netflix money no less.

I need CG anime to stop being a thing. It’s so hideous.
I've seen the heights of CG anime and I think it's great when a lot of effort is put into it. The problem is that anime fans keep focusing on the bad results rather than the good, because there's currently more bad than good out there.

Skifi28

It's strange how we keep getting anime for games that are dead franchises.
Not really, this is a cheap way to try and generate interest to see if it's worth making a new game or not. I don't think it's random that we got a Dragon's Dogma anime 8 years after the game and then two years later or so a sequel game was announced.

ssringo

Not really, this is a cheap way to try and generate interest to see if it's worth making a new game or not. I don't think it's random that we got a Dragon's Dogma anime 8 years after the game and then two years later or so a sequel game was announced.
You're not necessarily wrong about the first part but Dragon's Dogma isn't a good example. Capcom had Dragon's Dogma Online in 2015 (ran for 4ish years), the PC release in 2016, next gen console ports in 2017 and Itsuno was told he could decide on making DMC5 or DD2. He decided on DMC5 first which was released in 2019 (so his choice was made much earlier) and now we're almost to DD2. If anything the anime was to tide things over for the franchise until they had something for the sequel. Capcom knew there was lots of interest in the franchise.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I've seen 2 episodes, it's not bad. But, I've only played Onimusha 1. I still haven't gotten used to the style after 2 episodes.

pepodmc_

When they re-released Onimusha on modern systems back in 2019 and it looked like Capcom was testing the waters for the franchise, we wanted a new game. Sheesh.
They announced an animation of dragon dogma in 2020 for netflix and, in 2022 they announced a new game.

With this perhaps its the same.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
It’s out.

Not sure why 3D CG anime with the graphical fidelity of Okami on the PS2 is being made in 2023, with Netflix money no less.
This 3d anime trend is ass ... give me dragon ball like 80's drawing anyday but dont give me this shit .... just finished hunter x hunter .. it was glorious

Fbh

This 3d anime trend is ass ... give me dragon ball like 80's drawing anyday but dont give me this shit .... just finished hunter x hunter .. it was glorious

And for some reason like 90% of it ends up on Netflix. It's like they go out of their way to get all the ugly 3D anime out there.
That said I was pleasantly surprised about Pluto having a lot of traditional animation instead of being full CG (the CG is the worst looking part of it though)

RagnarokIV

Fucken literally LMAO seeing this get bumped.

Did this shit air? It looked shit and I'm sure as shit it's shit but anyone confirming it's shit?

Onimusha is one of my favorite games ever but they fucked it up big time after 2. They went full shit

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Fucken literally LMAO seeing this get bumped.

Did this shit air? It looked shit and I'm sure as shit it's shit but anyone confirming it's shit?

Onimusha is one of my favorite games ever but they fucked it up big time after 2. They went full shit
I've seen 3 episodes so far. It's..fine, I guess. Not sure why they decided to go with CG animation on this one. I'm guessing CG is cheaper to produce 🤔

-Zelda-

Banned
I really hope we can get more Onimusha games out of this. If not new ones, then rereleases of 2 through 4 would be nice.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Nothing screams period piece in Japan like the lowliest mellow "rock" effort in the form of Maneskin...

Fuck Italy and its godawful bullshit music scene.

PS : this looks like gob shite

Well if that's true I hope we get a new Castlevania.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I've seen 2 episodes, it's not bad. But, I've only played Onimusha 1. I still haven't gotten used to the style after 2 episodes.
You owe it to yourself to play 2 and 3. Onimusha 2 is great. You can get them dirt cheap if you go online. Dawn of Dreams is cool too.

I’m not watching this. I had Onimusha the day it was out and the other games. I’m not thrilled they brought it back to be an anime. I’m not a huge fan of the Castlevania anime because I’d rather play the games.

F31 Leopard

I just finished the 1st episode and I really hate CG anime. Reminds me of Appleseed 2004 and Vexille. I also don't really care for Musashi. Why couldn't they just base it off Onimusha Warlords story with Samanosuke against Fortinbras?

Shame to hear it's not very good. I liked the first series of Casrlevania, second I couldn't manage past the first episode, it was shit. Dragons Dogma was a fucking bad joke too. Oh well, not like I haven't got a lifetimes worth of Anime to watch any way.

Shit like this makes me glad I fucked Netflix off recently.

Top Bottom