• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's Senior Product Manager parts ways with Capcom after 10 years

ZeoVGM

Banned
if anything is a meme is Munch's obcession with a mediocre clone of another franchise, the bizarre part being, both franchises are from the same Publisher.

Dino Crisis is like those random ass shit clones of popular games we had all the time in the 90s, but its from Capcom so some people pretend it matters.

Its like if BIO Freaks was published...by...Midwa- wait >_>

Good lord, absolutely not. Dino Crisis 1 and 2 are great games.

And comparing it to freaking Bio Freaks is simply dishonest.

Also, why are people just using this thread to shit on random Capcom games, including one from years before Matt was even at Capcom? That's not the topic of the thread at all.

MoonFrog

I like Dino Crisis. Only played the first one, but I like survival horror and I like dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs are cool.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Good lord, absolutely not. Dino Crisis 1 and 2 are great games.

And comparing it to freaking Bio Freaks is simply dishonest.

funny story, Bio Freaks is Jawmuncher's favorite fighting game.

True story.

Dice//

Banned
Although theres been better Resident evil games. Playing it Co-op with my cousin all way was some of the best moments i've had in gaming.

5waIm0H.gif

I've done the campaign with three different people, we had a blast.
Co-op will seriously raise a game's score by a full letter grade for me.

sinkfla87

Godspeed, Matt. Capcom has to know how much you worked your ass off because just look at the MvCi marketing. If they didn't/don't, then you deserve better.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Matt Dahlgren was far and away one of the best communicators and PR dudes Capcom had.

Him and Seth were fantastic together. Now they're both gone.

Wish him the best of luck moving forwards.

Jawmuncher

Could be worse. It could be... a DINO CRISIS game *shudders*

if anything is a meme is Munch's obcession with a mediocre clone of another franchise, the bizarre part being, both franchises are from the same Publisher.

Dino Crisis is like those random ass shit clones of popular games we had all the time in the 90s, but its from Capcom so some people pretend it matters.

Thankfully that franchise is dead.

I swear. Can’t leave y’all alone for more than 5 minutes.

D.Lo

Deeke[VRZ];250979822 said:
RE5 was capcom's best selling game of all time? Lord help us.
Only if combing PS3/360/PC SKUs which for some stupid reason they do for RE5 and RE6 but not many other games.

Their actual highest selling individual release is Street Fighter II SNES.

Hesemonni

Banned
Are people overly negative about RE5 perhaps mistaking it for that absolutely horse shit of a game called RE6?

Vuci

I don't get it. I replayed Dino Crisis 1 a few months ago on Vita and it aged tremendously, it was really well paced and quite different from Resident Evil 1/2. Not to mention a technical tour de force.

Back on topic, I hope Capcom can survive the next 2 years to be honest. The last 2 have been brutal.

Audioserf

He'll be missed for sure. Haunts left, now him, and I think John D as well. Who is next, Combofiend?

I'd be more than happy to see Combofiend go. Two stinkers come out under his watch and the shit he said to justify terrible design and content decisions in both SFV and MVC:I are enough to suggest he has no idea what he's doing or what he's talking about.

vg260

I'd be more than happy to see Combofiend go. Two stinkers come out under his watch and the shit he said to justify terrible design and content decisions in both SFV and MVC:I are enough to suggest he has no idea what he's doing or what he's talking about.

Are you sure you know what you're talking about? What role(s) do you think he played in SFV and MvC:I, and what decisions were his?

Mike Evans was the MvC:I producer and Combofiend was the associate producer. Combofiend wasn't the head person. Also, if they're given a crap budget, it's not easy.

Yeah, the function stuff was silly, but they had to come up with responses that didn't throw Marvel under the bus, and hardly a big deal knowing Marvel was controlling the X-Men thing.

Audioserf

Are you sure you know what you're talking about? What role(s) do you think he played in SFV and MvC:I, and what decisions were his?

Mike Evans was the MvC:I producer and Combofiend was the associate producer. Combofiend wasn't the head person. Also, if they're given a crap budget, it's not easy.

Yeah, the function stuff was silly, but they had to come up with responses that didn't throw Marvel under the bus, and hardly a big deal knowing Marvel was controlling the X-Men thing.

His function was also advertised as being that of a sort of FGC liaison who would relay community opinions on aspects of Capcom's games that were largely to do with the fighting systems and game mechanics.

Compare his impact to his predecessor in roughly the same senior management position - Seth Killian. Under his watch we got Street Fighter 4, a substantially more complex, thoughtful and dare I say, fair game. Under Combofiend's inarticulate, bumbling fief, we got 5.

You take the comments on "functions" while being in a way true, were still a complete misread the attitudes of veteran marvel players and fans of Marvel franchises. Then you get his interview on Best of 3 (also featured in a Core-A gaming analysis video about the cost of reducing the skill gap) where he touts the reduced complexity of SFV as being this great thing, completely failing to realise that what he's saying is complete anathema to the crowd he's speaking to. Then you get his appearances on Cross Counter, IGN videos and whatever else where he just comes across as a buffoon who can play Street Fighter just fine, but should not be in a managerial position to represent the interests of fighting game fans.

And the end of it all is that instead of doing just that - representing the fans, he became a mouthpiece for Capcom, serving no purpose other than to justify their worst decisions to a crowd that just wasn't having it.

For someone who calls himself "combofiend" Rosas oversaw production of a game where the possibility for self expression through custom combos was stripped out, and the core of the franchise was instead turned into a mixup heavy guessing game.

Somehow despite all this, SFV is still a good game, but it's the decisions that he chose to defend which kept it from being a great one.

vg260

His function was also advertised as being that of a sort of FGC liaison who would relay community opinions on aspects of Capcom's games that were largely to do with the fighting systems and game mechanics.

Compare his impact to his predecessor in roughly the same senior management position - Seth Killian. Under his watch we got Street Fighter 4, a substantially more complex, thoughtful and dare I say, fair game. Under Combofiend's inarticulate, bumbling fief, we got 5.

You're still assuming Combofiend and Seth's input was the final say on how the game was designed when they weren't the highest product managers on the game, and somehow assigning all the credit and blame to them when you have no idea how much their say impacted the final decisions. They both could have been trumpeting the communities wishes exactly as they were, but if not everything they said was listened to by the executive producers, it wouldn't matter. Mike Evans oversaw production of the game, not Combofiend. That is the important part you're missing here.

Seth was around when SFxT launched and was promoting the gem concept. So I guess you assign the entire SFxT fiasco to him too? But do you really think, Seth, a competitive-minded guy was really as behind the pay to win dlc gem concept. Who knows, but I find it highly doubtful. My guess is he was probably dying inside when having to promote the concept. You can't always shoot the messenger.

Bottom line, you're assigning all blame and calling for the job of someone when you have no idea what part of the design they actually had final control over, which is a bit over the top.

Audioserf

You're still assuming Combofiend and Seth's input was the final say on how the game was designed when they weren't the highest product managers on the game, and somehow assigning all the credit and blame to them when you have no idea how much their say impacted the final decisions. They both could have been trumpeting the communities wishes exactly as they were, but if not everything they said was listened to by the executive producers, it wouldn't matter. Mike Evans oversaw production of the game, not Combofiend. That is the important part you're missing here.

Seth was around when SFxT launched and was promoting the gem concept. So I guess you assign the entire SFxT fiasco to him too? But do you really think, Seth, a competitive-minded guy was really as behind the pay to win dlc gem concept. Who knows, but I find it highly doubtful. My guess is he was probably dying inside when having to promote the concept. You can't always shoot the messenger.

Bottom line, you're assigning all blame and calling for the job of someone when you have no idea what part of the design they actually had final control over, which is a bit over the top.

You're right, my reaction is definitely over the top, and I don't really mean to call for Combofiend's head or anything. I'm not assuming that either's say was final but it was easy for me to forgive Seth because I knew from hearing from him outside his function as a part of Capcom management staff, whether during the long years he spent as a commentator, or his GDC talks or the University lectures he gave, that the gem system was neither "on him," nor was he going to be an apologist for it. Combofiend on the other hand rarely seems to say anything meaningful about the games he's overseeing, and when he does it's nothing but the insipid company line on it, without any real elaboration.

I guess it's just that I see Combofiend as a companyman, whereas Seth felt like more of a representative of the community who wouldn't try and bullshit us. And maybe it just isn't in Combofiend's wheelhouse to be the guy I was hoping he would be, which sucks, but he's really no worse than most other community managers. Again, I should probably moderate what I said before in the first comment you quoted, because I expected to just leave an unnecessarily pissy remark and have it be lost in the gafstream as usual. Responsibility for poor design decisions shouldn't be lain solely at his feet, but responsibility for the idiotic words chosen to justify those design decisions should definitely be.

Sesha

The face of Capcom USA has changed a lot these past few years. Good luck and godspeed.

Deeke[VRZ];250979822 said:
RE5 was capcom's best selling game of all time? Lord help us.

Best-selling release. Pretty sure their most successful game of all time is SF2.

RE5 sold more than RE4?

Most people have bad taste confirmed

RE5 had a ton of hype behind it because of RE4's quality and success.

Fluloco

We've been telling people for ages- Best RE is action RE.

But people let nostalgia cloud their judgement!

Selling more isn't equal to quality.
If so, the Transformers movies would be the greatest saga ever :)

Getting back on topic, I can't say I really know the dude or his work, but I hope he has futures gigs planned.

Top Bottom