• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker |OT| rrrrready for adventure!

Celine

So a couple of things I just found out. If you're playing a level with snow you can draw in it. I also was turning in circles and Toad got dizzy and fell over.
Cannot wait to draw penises on snow and then upload the picture on Miiverse :-D

Will go to Best Buy after work to pick this up. The game I have been most looking forward to (after Witcher 3).

I've been staying away from reviews. Have they mentioned how long the game is?

plank

Bought this on web eShop and sent it to my WiiU. Now all I have to do is wait until I get home. I've been waiting for this game since e3.

hbkdx12

Will go to Best Buy after work to pick this up. The game I have been most looking forward to (after Witcher 3).

I haven't read anything in depth as far as reviews but Dan rykert from Giantbomb did a QL and the game is split up into 3 "episodes" and he beat the first episode in half an hr and thought he completed the game. Supposedly the other episodes are a lil longer but apparently not by a whole lot and the bonus content is lacking.

My take away was that it's a game that finds it's worth in replaying levels and completing all the optional objectives. It seems like if you play just going through the levels once just to make it through the end of the game, it'll be over in a few hours.

I just bought the wii u bundle from best on black friday so i haven't played super mario 3d world yet (or any wii u game for that matter) to know if i'd like this. It looks interesting. I want to buy it but i'm torn between this and another wii remote (why are these damn wii motes so expensive!?!) My only personal negative is that it looks like fez albeit a lot more simple. I gave up on fez pretty early on so i don't know much this would stick with me or if i'd be willing to replay it to get all the objectives

How big is the file? I'm having some issues with my External HDD so I'm having to do with 8gb for now, but I don't want to wait until that's solved.

Smidget

Still need to pick up Bayonetta 2 and want to pick up this. I have GCU. Is that probably the best deal? I know B2G1 is only for PS4/XB1/PC next week at BB. TRU has B1G1 40% off, but with GCU, it's lower at BB....

So hey wats the consensus of the game? I'm gonna go pick up pokemon today nd may get this later

I haven't played it (have it pre-ordered from Amazon for £25) but the vibe i'm getting from the thread is it's short but very sweet.

That said, many people have said it's not even that short soooo, let's just say it's sweet.

All im hoping is that at least half of the later levels are challenging, my Daughter loves to see me play cute games like this one but I also need to be stimulated by challenging gameplay, 3D World was perfect for this in the later levels.

(have it pre-ordered from Amazon for £25)

you might want to re-think that pre-order, amazon have removed captain toad from being sold due to the strange release date.
I can't imagine any online retailer actually being able to deliver this game on time in the uk due to no postal service on new years day and very limited service in between boxing day and new years eve.
i have no idea when nintendo thinks they are going to send this to retailers but they need to send it well before christmas.
Shopto told me that they can't make the release date of the 2nd due to new years day, therefore cannot keep there release date guarantee. They are still listing it as the 9th of january and refuse to believe, even if it's true, that anyone would release a children's game one week after christmas day and the day after new years.
I think what was said on the previous page is 100% correct, the only place this will be available on the 2nd is on the eshop or actually in shops, online retailers have no chance.

I was going to order this from Amazon with some credit I had, but it appears that it isn't for sale in the US on their store anymore. I have so many games laying around unplayed that I think I may just hold off. I want to play this, but I'm in no rush to get it. Hopefully Amazon adds it back soon.

zroid

Banned
BTW on Amazon.ca you can get a free amiibo with purchase of Captain Toad right now. Just use promo code FREEAMIIBO during checkout when both items are in the cart. It also applies to pre-order amiibo.

Gyroscope is always on and bad camera are my main complaints.

what do you mean by bad camera? isn't manipulating the camera manually supposed to be part of the game?

what do you mean by bad camera? isn't manipulating the camera manually supposed to be part of the game?
Gyroscopes are tied to the camera and there are only two modes: close and far away. A third one for in between would have been nice. Overall a 7/10 in my book.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like I'm not getting this until Monday (
Actually Christmas since it's going to be given to me as a gift, but still
). I'm 0/2 with Best Buy online orders arriving on time, granted, this was UPS' fault during shipping. First time was Best Buy, and they credited me $10 due to their mistake. Would be nice if they did that for UPS' mistake, but I'm not counting on it.

You're looking at 4-6 hours of you just play to beat the levels. Add another 2 if you try and collect everything.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

You are constantly making tiny adjustments to the camera using the right stick to see where you need to go.

Any physical movement of the gamepad kicks in the gyroscope and it moves the already touchy camera in some arbitrary direction.

On top of this, you often have to touch different parts of the gamepad screen to move stuff in the game. The camera always moves when you do this.

It is really fucking frustrating.

And it all would be solved if they simply put the option in to disable the gyroscope camera.

It's mind boggling that they didn't.

Any physical movement of the gamepad kicks in the gyroscope and it moves the already touchy camera in some arbitrary direction.

On top of this, you often have to touch different parts of the gamepad screen to move stuff in the game. The camera always moves when you do this.

It is really fucking frustrating.

Wonder if they could fix this with a patch. That doesn't sound like something I want to buy in its current state. I'm sure the game is awesome, but like with Kid Icarus, if I'm fighting with frustrating controls I'm not going to be having fun.

The camera controls are not too bad but the no hit challenges are annoying with the camera based on how it is.
Also I figured out a trick for level 6:
Killing a Shyguy does not mess up the alert challenge

Rrang129

Wonder if they could fix this with a patch. That doesn't sound like something I want to buy in its current state. I'm sure the game is awesome, but like with Kid Icarus, if I'm fighting with frustrating controls I'm not going to be having fun.

Yeah, I think this might have been a slight oversight. You could do this in Mario 3D World (I think???)

It's not a gamebreaker per se, but it is a bit annoying...

bart64

Banned
^ sounds annoying. :( I'll find out for myself soon enough I guess.
It's not that annoying. Unless you're used to twirling your controller around while playing you'll rarely notice. If the view shifts when you use touchscreen, which really shouldn't happen if you are using your thumbs, it will shift back as soon as you return the gamepad to the original position--you never have to use the touchscreeen and mnove at the same time. These people are really reaching here.

TheMoon

It's not that annoying. Unless you're used to twirling your controller around while playing you'll rarely notice. If the view shifts when you use touchscreen, which really shouldn't happen if you are using your thumbs, it will shift back as soon as you return the gamepad to the original position--you never have to use the touchscreeen and mnove at the same time. These people are really reaching here.

But I play video games while breakdancing!

you never have to use the touchscreeen and mnove at the same time. These people are really reaching here.
Book 2, Level 1: The bird enemies will kill you while you are turning the slopes.
They should have made it analog and not touch screen. Way too much touch controls.

Anyways, anyone figure our Book 1, Level 12's secret yet?

Camera annoyed me in 3D World too!

I don't mind a short game, so long as it has the replay value to justify it, and if it's anything like 3D World it definitely will.

Camera annoyed me in 3D World too!

I don't mind a short game, so long as it has the replay value to justify it, and if it's anything like 3D World it definitely will.
That is precisely it. It is 3D World's camera. However, that game does not rely on the camera to get around.
Some tweaking could have made it fine. As it is, it hinders the game a bit. Maybe L/R snaps it to a better position.

bart64

Banned
Book 2, Level 1: The bird enemies will kill you while you are turning the slopes.

You can't move while you're turning the slopes, so a little shift in the camera will not mess you up. If anything it adds a little bit of tension to an otherwise easy-going game. It's up to you not to freak out and throw the camera around!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Started getting accustomed to the camera by the end of Act 1, but it was really awkward in the early goings(either too zoomed in or out). Hardly bothersome now though.

Never have had issue with the motion tracking, I keep a steady hand though and don't jerk around the controller like a fool though.

Just over one hour into the game I was already watching end credits. Each Act will have them I suppose.

Kind of enjoyable so far, but I miss the more puzzle-focused "5-gem" approach in 3D World stages. These bite-sized stages so far vary wildly between clever and vapid. Replay value is low given the relative ease and I have yet to see a stage that forces me to pause and actually consider my path trajectory. Adorable and visually impressive though.

$40 does seem overpriced, but maybe I'll reconsider after clearing the game.

you never have to use the touchscreeen and mnove at the same time. These people are really reaching here.

No but your camera is in different position than when you started, which is annoying to me.

Anyway I've mostly solved the issue by just placing the gamepad firmly on my lap while playing. I have to look down every time touch screen prompt shows up, but still less annoying than jumpy camera.

Played the first four levels, and then the game told me about the digital manual and now I'm reading the damn thing.

It feels like I'm reading the OT in this manual.

daydream

Banned
Beautiful OT, kubus!

I'll be back in January. Perfect game to start off the year. Meanwhile, I wish US peeps a good time with the game!

Before you do, how are you connecting your HDD?

I don't think it's anything with the Wii U, I tried formatting the drive in different ways in my computer to start from scratch but it didn't recognize the drive there either either. The data and power cords are separate for the drive, and it used to work just fine so I'm thinking it's just a problem with a cable or something.

AdanVC

I always put the gamepad on my lap when I play and I barely move it from there so I guess the gyroscope thing will not affect me that much. Still, it's damn weird Nintendo didn't added an option to turn gyroscope controls off considering they always offer a wide range of control variety on their games. Getting it anyways. Unfortunately that'll be until sunday because I called to the freaking store where I preorder it and they say it'll be delayed who knows why. Ughhbubub.

Top Bottom