• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capture cards for next gen gaming

I'm looking for capture cards (preferably for Mac) that will allow for component/HDMI/DVI inputs from X360, PS3 and Rev to capture games at full res at 480p, 720p, and 1080p.

I've looked at Elgato EyeTV but it only has composite inputs (from what I've seen) and it's aimed more at consumers (and I don't think it does HD anyway).

Does anyone who has experience capturing games have any suggestions?

Willing to spend up to $4000-$5000.

Will an XServe Raid suffice? :D

I've found this via Google - not sure if it is any good

hd_ban.jpg

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hd/specs/

Only supports component in though.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
This one would also require a Component -> HD-SDI converter. Not cheap.
AFAIK there are no hardware out there that can capture digital signals like DVI/HDMI. Maybe I'm wrong, but at least it's nothing a normal human being could afford.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Capture card w/ component in. That's what I want. I don't care for digital video input at the moment due to price. Either way they're both very expensive.

maskrider

DaCocoBrova said:
Capture card w/ component in. That's what I want. I don't care for digital video input at the moment due to price.

Same case, even without HDMI/DVI, cards that can take component at 480p and above are at least $2000 last time I checked.

crunker99

DaCocoBrova said:
Capture card w/ component in. That's what I want. I don't care for digital video input at the moment due to price.

blims right there is no such thing that will cost u under 1000 bucks

your only option is this:

http://www.pixelsmart.com/vga.html

and use the xbox360 vga adapter as the input

still gonna run u about 400 bucks

thats about the only solution

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I'm getting in a few weeks a Blackmagic Multibridge PCI Express, with a dual opteron setup using a 6x250 SATA drives RAID0 setup. That's about the cheapest thing I could find to capture true HD videos from component.

Blimblim said:
This one would also require a Component -> HD-SDI converter. Not cheap.
AFAIK there are no hardware out there that can capture digital signals like DVI/HDMI. Maybe I'm wrong, but at least it's nothing a normal human being could afford.

You're right - there doesn't seem to be.

They are all component in under $10,000 but I think I've found a decent component in one

Canopus Edius SP system for HDV

http://www.dvdoctor.net/content/item.php?item=1168&page=8

The Decklink HD is looking good as a starter option though so will probably go with that.

Incidentally what are you using for video capture Blimblim?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
monkeymagic said:
You're right - there doesn't seem to be.

They are all component in under $10,000 but I think I've found a decent component in one

Canopus Edius SP system for HDV

http://www.dvdoctor.net/content/item.php?item=1168&page=8

The Decklink HD is looking good as a starter option though so will probably go with that.

Incidentally what are you using for video capture Blimblim?
Hehe, another one fooled by Canopus. This card can do HD, but only with a HDV signal. Meaning it's JUST a... firewire input. Yes. Forget about it.
For the moment I use a PDS PDI card, it's rather "cheap" and it can capture a 480i signal with a YUV input. Excellent quality. Using some custom deinterlacing setup I can do a 856x480 video at 60 fps and it looks quite good. Capture from such a video (XVID compressed) :
752_0019.jpg

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Why the high price tag? I work with stuff I would never be able to afford, but I'd at least think there would be consumer level products that have these abilities. These are more 'pro-sumer'.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
DaCocoBrova said:
Why the high price tag?
Actually the Blackmagic hardware is *very* cheap compared to anything else you could get. Really.
This is professional stuff, not consumer hardware. Blackmagic's stuff could be considered usable for very rich consumers or for a very specific need I guess.
And you can be sure the RIAA and everyone else involved will do everything they can to make sure this stays as is.
Still, you have to keep in mind that an uncompressed 720p60 video requires more than 1 gbit per second of bandwidth. If you want to capture it already compressed, then the price point is slightly higher. Like $10000 higher or something.

maskrider

Blimblim said:
Hehe, another one fooled by Canopus. This card can do HD, but only with a HDV signal. Meaning it's JUST a... firewire input. Yes. Forget about it.
For the moment I use a PDS PDI card, it's rather "cheap" and it can capture a 480i signal with a YUV input. Excellent quality. Using some custom deinterlacing setup I can do a 856x480 video at 60 fps and it looks quite good. Capture from such a video (XVID compressed) :

Only component is ok from that PMS PDI card as it is on SAA7118H, the other inputs seem to be with the same old Fusion 878A.

Blimblim said:
752_0019.jpg

Yeah I had concerns about the whole HDV thing - thanks for clearing that up.

I may even opt for the Multibridge now that you've shown me the light

So my setup will probably end up consisting of:

- 30" cinema display
- Quad G5 w/8GB RAM, internal 250GB HDD
- 1TB XServe RAID (Apple claims upto 400MB/s but I haven't seen any real world benchmarks)
- Multibridge PCI Express
- Final Cut HD

Am I missing anything? Or will this suffice for end to end capture and editing?

What kind of PC setup are you going to be going with?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
maskrider said:
Only component is ok from that PMS PDI card as it is on SAA7118H, the other inputs seem to be with the same old Fusion 878A.
Could be, I bought it specifically for the component input so I don't really care about the rest.
I have a YUV switch that allows me to play normally on my tv (albeit in 480i for the moment), while capturing. It's really nice.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
monkeymagic said:
Yeah I had concerns about the whole HDV thing - thanks for clearing that up.

I may even opt for the Multibridge now that you've shown me the light

So my setup will probably end up consisting of:

- 30" cinema display
- Quad G5 w/8GB RAM, internal 250GB HDD
- 1TB XServe RAID (Apple claims upto 400MB/s but I haven't seen any real world benchmarks)
- Multibridge PCI Express
- Final Cut HD

Am I missing anything? Or will this suffice for end to end capture and editing?

What kind of PC setup are you going to be going with?
I already more or less detailed my PC setup :
Dual opteron, 2 GB RAM, 6x250 SATA drives on a hardware raid controller (PCIe 4x)
For software I will use my own stuff, the blackmagic card comes with standard directshow drivers so I'll be able to code/hack my own capture software rather easily. Then I can feed everything to virtualdub through avisynth for final encoding.
Yes, I'm a bit hardcore with this, but so far nothing beats avisynth for my needs.

maskrider

Blimblim said:
I already more or less detailed my PC setup :
Dual opteron, 2 GB RAM, 6x250 SATA drives on a hardware raid controller (PCIe 4x)
For software I will use my own stuff, the blackmagic card comes with standard directshow drivers so I'll be able to code/hack my own capture software rather easily. Then I can feed everything to virtualdub through avisynth for final encoding.
Yes, I'm a bit hardcore with this, but so far nothing beats avisynth for my needs.

Not just a bit hardcore, definitely hardcore for non-studio professionals.

I did almost all my stuffs on my average PC (P4 3G) with TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress, and sometimes with Adobe Premiere Pro.

Encoding speed for the 2nd pass 852x480 29.97fps WMV9 is just 2fps, ha ha ha !

I am planning on upgrade, but not yet decided on the spec.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
maskrider said:
Not just a bit hardcore, definitely hardcore for non-studio professionals.

I did almost all my stuffs on my average PC (P4 3G) with TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress, and sometimes with Adobe Premiere Pro.

Encoding speed for the 2nd pass 852x480 29.97fps WMV9 is just 2fps, ha ha ha !

I am planning on upgrade, but not yet decided on the spec.
That slow, wow. On my P4 3.0 that 856x480 video was encoded at around 14 fps (XVID). I'd get mad if it was below 5.

maskrider

Blimblim said:
That slow, wow. On my P4 3.0 that 856x480 video was encoded at around 14 fps (XVID). I'd get mad if it was below 5.

Xvid is much faster, but I guess I will stick with WMV9 for a while.

Top Bottom