Car help ?

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Hey maybe someone on here can help me out with a quick question.

I have a Kia Optima 2011 but the back up camera is dead. I was first quoted 650$ to replace the camera, but my mechanic told me to check Amazon/ebay etc...

So I found some cameras, but some are like 20 $ and then there are official KIA cameras that go for 200$ or so.

So my question is can I install any camera to replace my faulty one, or do I need to get the KIA (expensive) camera?

edomedo

Sep 18, 2014
Sarajevo, BiH
I would look at the specifications of both cameras. If they're similar, I don't see why it wouldn't work, it's just sending back a video signal.

bucyou

Feb 3, 2018
the cheap one are just that, cheap. they will work but might require some fabrication to get it to sit flush. I noticed Dorman makes a OE-style replacement that is plug and play for about $80, I would probably go that route.

KillCleanEat

Dec 6, 2018
It's a gamble in my experience. Sometimes the knockoffs are great. Sometimes you just need to pony up.

Here's how I choose if I'm rolling the dice.

1. Will I or someone else die if this component fails?
2. Do I value this feature?

If I answer yes to either of those I buy the recommended part.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
the cheap one are just that, cheap. they will work but might require some fabrication to get it to sit flush. I noticed Dorman makes a OE-style replacement that is plug and play for about $80, I would probably go that route.
Looks like they don't deliver? They have the part but I don't see an option to order only pick up in store and I am up here in Canada :messenger_angry: