• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cargo ship sinks in North Sea, 6 people missing, 5 confirmed dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldrusher

Two ships collided about 100 km east of Rotterdam:

Dutch sea rescue services launched a major rescue operation Wednesday after two ships collided in a busy North Sea shipping lane off the coast of Rotterdam, Dutch news agency ANP reported.

"A helicopter and two rescue ships are underway to the scene while other ships in the area also made their way there," it said, saying that one of the ships is believed to be sinking.

The collision happened at around 7:15 pm (1815 GMT) when the ships identified as the Bahaman-registered autoship Baltic Ace and the Corvus J out of Cyprus crashed into each other about 100 kilometres (60 miles) off Rotterdam.

It was unknown whether there were any casualties and the Dutch Coast Guard could not immediately be reached for comment.

The shipping lane where the accident happened is one of the busiest in the North Sea and an important passing point for ships sailing into the Rotterdam port, Europe's largest and the fifth-largest in the world.

update dec 7:

24 crew members were on board

13 have been rescued

5 confirmed deaths

6 people are still missing

The ships that collided:
Corvus J (Cyprus)
container ship
Grangemouth, Scotland --> Antwerp, Belgium

Baltic Ace (Bahamas) ---------------------> this one sunk!
car carrier
Zeebrugge, Belgium --> Kotka, Finland

balticacecv16uer.jpg

The cargo:

1417 Mitsubishis
12 Ferraris
8 Bentleys
6 Rolls Royces
4 Lamborghinis

The other boat:

knrm-breskens-2012-12-06-4-corvus-j.jpg

knrm-breskens-2012-12-06-1-corvus-j.jpg

map5fjzh.gif

Looks like BMW opening that car dealership in the English Channel several years back has attracted some competition.

Sorry, I hope the guys are found safe.

ndmRh.png

Those are the coordinates I have for the two ships. They went out of AIS range around noon. The blips you see at the tail end are from the ship that did not sink, the Corvus J.

It should be noted that my work's software (beta version that I am currently working on, so grain of salt needed) flagged the Baltic Ace as a Guarded risk vessel, mostly due to its flag of convenience and the fact that its owners and operators are registered in Isle of Man and its technical management company is out of Liberia. According to my data the safety management certificate of the Baltic Ace is due to expire in a few days as well.

The Corvus J has mostly German ownership and its safety management certificate is up to date until next year.

I'm not certain which vessel is at fault because I unfortunately didn't have situational awareness coverage of the incident area. What I can say is that it's night time and there is a crazy amount of vessel traffic in that area.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking Cyprus man, we made the mistake with the Helios plane crash in 05.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
It has a capacity of 2,132 cars and according to (unconfirmed) sources, had quite a few super cars on board:

4x Lamborghini Aventadór
6x Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead
8x Bentley
12x Ferrari]

I guess the super rich have to pay more revenues one way or another.

FStop7

Banned
One of the busiest waterways in the world, with what can be some of the worst seas, in very large ships that handle like floating apartment buildings. It's kind of amazing it doesn't happen more often.

itsgreen

Holy crap was just talking about the right ship with a friend!

At least a ship from its class... wow... awefull coincidence!

Kabouter

Updated the thread title to match the current state of things, they also abandoned the search for now due to the rough seas and the strong wind, and will decide this morning whether to continue. I can only assume that given how cold the water is etc., that this is a search for seven more bodies.

Goldrusher

Final toll:

13 rescued
5 dead
6 missing

The cargo:

1417 Mitsubishis
12 Ferraris
8 Bentleys
6 Rolls Royces
4 Lamborghinis

The other boat:

knrm-breskens-2012-12-06-4-corvus-j.jpg

knrm-breskens-2012-12-06-1-corvus-j.jpg

4x Lamborghini Aventadór
6x Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead
8x Bentley
12x Ferrari

it's kinda sad that I was more emotionally affected by this than the 4 nameless deaths

Goldrusher

I also don't mean any disrespect by mentioning it, but those are rare and expensive cars.
Nobody would care if it was a ship with bananas or kiwis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom