• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carnegie Deli NYC, world's most famous deli to close Dec 31 - RIP in Pastrami

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
Not for particular financial reasons. Just that the woman running it wants to retire the location seemingly. The Vegas and PA additions will stay open.

carnegie_deli_exterior.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016/09/30/carnegie-deli-new-york/91315262/
The Carnegie Deli in New York — an eccentric symbol of the city's capacity for everyman culinary appeal — will close at the end of 2016.

As New Year's Eves in New York go, this particular holiday will take on melancholic overtones for fans of the dining hotspot, whose flair for drama was perhaps eclipsed only by its pastrami, corned beef and cheesecake.

The Midtown Manhattan restaurant, which opened in 1937, will close on Dec. 31, restaurant spokeswoman Cristyne Nicholas confirmed.

The owner, Marian Harper Levine, whose family acquired the restaurant in 1976, told her employees this morning. The restaurant, described by USA TODAY in 2013 as "the world's most famous delicatessen," employs about 60 workers.

"It was very emotional for her," Nicholas said. "It’s just time in her life that she wants to move on."

Carnegie Deli will continue wholesale distribution of its products, licensing its brand and selling desserts online, she said. Other locations — one in Bethlehem, Pa., and one in Las Vegas — will remain open.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Never been, but went to Hello Deli when I saw Letterman live a few years ago. Rupert was nice and snapped photos with us. :)

I will remember fondly whenever Adam Sandler sings about Bowser from Sha-na-na & Arthur Fonzarelli eating at the Carnegie Deli in his Chanukah Song I.

Protip: At Katz (and maybe Carnegie deli), they operate on some arcane 'ticket' system, where each person gets a ticket when you leave, and as you buy stuff they list your items on the ticket.

You're charged $50 if you lose the ticket, but you can game the system if you buy over $50 worth of pastrami in one sitting, then head directly to the hospital as soon as you get out.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Way, way past their prime. The only down side is now the tourists may find the *good* pastrami places in the city. :/

Szu

My wife and I got a chance to eat there this summer.

Ironically, we were there to watch Fiddler on the Roof, which also ends its run this Dec.

Glix

I'm more of a Katz man, but still sad.

My parents house was built by the fam that started Katzs' deli.

@Szu - Wasn't the coreography SICK??? I loved it! (I've seen multiple productions and was in a high school production of the show. Not my first Anatefka rodeo)

FStop7

Banned
Why close an institution that's been there for over 70 years and has 60 employees if it's not for financial reasons? Hire someone to run it for you or sell it. But just closing it because? Nah, there's more to it than that.

Why close an institution that's been there for over 70 years and has 60 employees if it's not for financial reasons? Hire someone to run it for you or sell it. But just closing it because? Nah, there's more to it than that.

There likely is, like high rent, but this was in the Gothamist (http://gothamist.com/2016/09/30/rip_carnegie_deli.php):

Though Levine owns the building that's housed the restaurant since 1937, it's likely financial burden from recent legal entanglements played a role in the shutter. Multiple lawsuits had been filed regarding wage theft, recipe theft, and ultimately a divorce from Levine's husband Sandy, who had allegedly been having an affair with a waitress at the restaurant.

If there weren't already 8.4 Million Deli's in the New York Metro area I'd be more than just sad about the historical aspect of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom