• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Casey Affleck doesn’t think his brother Ben will star in ‘The Batman’

I get why they don't announce it if it's true. They finally got good PR with WW, BatMan recasting will be bad news.

I do hope Ben will do whatever makes him happy, he seems so bitter and sad nowadays.

Strike

bR9RmIK.gif

I'm so nervous that JL is going to squander the momentum from WW and they'll be back at square one again. Ugh.

On the plus side, it will probably just make WB fasttrack the Flashpoint movie.

I don't understand that.

1) You're not even gonna be ten films old and already rebooting?

2) An entire film dedicated to justifying "trying again".

Speaks volumes about the state of the DCEU right now that people are excited for it.

Like me!

They'll probably make an entire prequel trilogy before they touch anything post-JL. Affleck is a good Batman, but not for an independent bat series that has no supers in it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I don't understand that.

1) You're not even gonna be ten films old and already rebooting?

2) An entire film dedicated to justifying "trying again".
Spider-Man got rebooted twice in less than 10 years.

Batman however is more complicated since they have an entire universe to manage, and tossing everything out would do more to annoy audiences than course correcting.

Replicant

Why stop @ him? Recast everyone else while we're at it.

Not even that hot about Gadot but since WW is the only non-stained effort on DCEU part, they may hold onto her for a while.

Cipherr

X-Men did it

This is true. And strangely (to me anyway) people absolutely loved it. Whole fucking movie that just... erased every other movie they sold us tickets to beforehand, and its one of the highest rated films in the xmen series too!

Fucking mindblowing... But whatever... if Fox can pull it off, so can WB.

If he's not why doesn't DC just come out and say so already. They have a good director in place, so if Ben doesn't play the role who really cares? It's not like audiences aren't used to different actors playing the role. In the last 30 years we've had Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney, Bale, and Affleck, so what's the difference if it's one more?

Are they worried that it will hurt JL to announce it now? I just don't understand why they don't definitively address the rumors one way or the other.

They don't want to spoil that Justice League ends with Batman getting hit by a train, and needing to get full facial reconstruction surgery.

I dunno, but if true that would be disappointing since I liked him in the role a lot. I mean Irons was the real mvp, so as long as he sticks around we'll be fine, but it would still be disappointing.

I'm more disappointed that Casey Affleck is still a thing

Potentially the best actor working right now.

Also this would suck but as long as somebody like Jon Hamm replaced him I would be fine with it

I would be happy with Armie Hammer too, but that makes the whole age thing a mess. Tbh they should just let Matt Reeves make a standalone series. Cinematic Universes are whatever, man could do great things if left alone like he was with the Apes stuff.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The annoying thing about them having gone with an older grisled Batman means that that cuts down quite a bit on potential up and coming candidates. Hollywood has no shortage of white male actors, but those that can play Batman?

It also means that whoever they choose may not be able to stick around for long.

Potentially the best actor working right now.
Also a bit of a scumbag.

pestul

I believe Casey. It's really too bad that Affleck ended up being part of this shitshow since I quite like him as Batman/Wayne.

Poona

If he's not why doesn't DC just come out and say so already. They have a good director in place, so if Ben doesn't play the role who really cares? It's not like audiences aren't used to different actors playing the role. In the last 30 years we've had Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney, Bale, and Affleck, so what's the difference if it's one more?

Because the films this time are meant to be joint together. A continuity.

If Ben leaves, I want that continuity to occur. Not have us play pretend it is the same person who appeared first in BvS.

For that continuity to occur if Ben leaves it will need either Bruce Wayne to die or simply hand over the cowl to another Batfamily member.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Justice League is a disaster
Affleck is out as Batman
Aquaman is hard to film with all the water

The DCEU is dead, bury it
Justice League isn't out yet, so your ability to judge its quality seems... questionable.
Affleck isn't confirmed out yet (though it's not like people didn't see this coming)
And Aquaman having difficulties with water while filming doesnt mean shit. Any movie with water is going to have technical problems. It's not like entire sets got swept into the oceans.

I feel kinda bad for Ben. He seemed legitimately excited to play batman before BvS released. Honestly, I think he was the best part of BvS (which to be fair is a low bar considering how terrible everything else was) and that if he had a better script to work with he could've play a really good batman/bruce wayne.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Ben will not be back as Batman after JL, except for maybe a continuity nod cameo in Flashpoint before the reboot happens. It's too bad because he was quite good considering what he had to work with. His scenes with Jeremy Irons were probably the best character bits in a film almost devoid of character development.

Why? DCEU gonna keep going even if JL sucks.

4121422325_fd74319092_o.jpg

Alienous

I don't think Affleck is going to sit through another of these movies, in between takes wearing a big dumb Batman suit, if Justice League isn't well received.

It'll just be 'Welp, I have it a shot'. There's only so much of your career that you can dedicate to underwhelming movies.

I've been saying it from day one. Ben Affleck on this project was a mistake.

Getting Ben Affleck was a master stroke.

Forcing Ben Affleck to make two movies with Zack Snyder before he could do anything on his own with the character was a mistake.

Neophant

With the pause in his tone before saying Ben was an OK Batman, Casey sounded like he just wanted to say something to get the host to stop bugging him about it. Or just something before saying he made it up. Doesn't matter, I don't see this being the thing that definitively confirms Affleck isn't going to be on The Batman.

taking the word of casey affleck is hard tbh. dude is so apathetic when he speaks its hard to know if he's joking, sarcastic, serious whatever.

won't get definitive news on this anyways until after JL.

i don't really give a shit. as long as the recasting isn't some wastemans like Skarsgard or whatever. Ben Affleck has me dead set on a Don Draper-esque Bruce Wayne.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Getting Ben Affleck was a master stroke.

Forcing Ben Affleck to make two movies with Zack Snyder before he could do anything on his own with the character was a mistake.
Which do you think affects him more, being in a bad movie (but which people generally consider him a highlight), or his alcoholism/rehab along with his divorce?

Like... are people really gonna pin this on Snyder while ignoring the very real shit he himself is probably dealing with?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
With the pause in his tone before saying Ben was an OK Batman, Casey sounded like he just wanted to say something to get the host to stop bugging him about it. Or just something before saying he made it up. Doesn't matter, I don't see this being the thing that definitively confirms Affleck isn't going to be on The Batman.

Not confirmed, but almost certainly true.

Which do you think affects him more, being in a bad movie (but whom people generally consider him a highlight), or his alcoholism/rehab along with his divorce?

Like... are people really gonna pin this on Snyder?

Yeah, this has nothing to do with Snyder. Hollywood gossip is that WB is very uncomfortable with Affleck's perceived reliability now that his addictions are rearing their heads again.

Pau

Getting Thomas Wayne Batman before any of Bruce's kids actually being on screen would be depressing as fuck.

Blader

I don't think Affleck is going to sit through another of these movies, in between takes wearing a big dumb Batman suit, if Justice League isn't well received.

It'll just be 'Welp, I have it a shot'. There's only so much of your career that you can dedicate to underwhelming movies.

I'm hoping Whedon can help pull it together, but Affleck describing the movie as "the product of two very different visions" is a kinda worrying statement. When has something like that ever worked out?

Which do you think affects him more, being in a bad movie (but which people generally consider him a highlight), or his alcoholism/rehab along with his divorce?

Like... are people really gonna pin this on Snyder while ignoring the very real shit he himself is probably dealing with?

Yeah. By all accounts actors enjoy working with Snyder. And Affleck ain't getting fazed by starring in a poorly received movie. If a film project hurt him, it's definitely Live by Night. It's a bigger reason why he stepped away from directing Batman.

Top Bottom