• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle of Shikigami |PC OT| The Crooked Castle Returns

cj_iwakura

header.jpg

• Developer: Alfa System (Original) / Cosmo Machia (Port)
  • Publisher: Degica
  • Platform: PC (Steam)
  • Genre: Shmup
  • Price: $11.99 ($9.99 initial sale)

SLJnK7x.jpg

Castle Shikigami has a ... spotty localization history. This game, the original, was first 'localized' as Mobile Light Force 2... with all the story stripped out.

mobilelightforce2-cover-usa.jpg
shikigami1-cover-ps2a.jpg

This was fine if you just cared about the gameplay(shmup story lol), but for a game that's driven by the characters and plot, it's kind of insulting, especially to not use the original art.

The same publishers would fix this the second time around... uh, sort of.

shikigami2-cover-ps2usa.jpg

Shikigami 2 left both the original art and the dialogue intact. How accurate the translation was... well, that's up for debate.
(Not really; the translation is objectively awful.

But at least they tried.

Shikigami 3 was the lucky one.

shikigami3-cover-wiiusa.jpg

It actually received a competent translation with solid voice acting, equally hilarious and serious as the story calls for it.

And now, somehow, we're back to square one; Degica have localized the first game, with the story intact.

4wjEAbK.jpg

July 2005, the "near future". A number of victims have been found murdered, all of them female, seemingly electrocuted. After the 32nd killing, the attention of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department is finally gained.

They begin an investigation, as do a number of persons drawn by the case's strong ties to the occult. What's always set Shikigami apart are the variety of playable characters. The first game offered six to choose from. The players arrive to stop the killers, while the bosses are either the killers themselves, or ghostly figures serving them.

Cb1LTPs.jpg

The characters are each psychic investigators called in to solve the murders, hopefully to succeed where the police have failed.

Kohtaro Kuga
i_kugaa.jpg

Kohtaro is a detective with the Metropolitan Police, assigned to the case. His special attack uses a spiritual familiar named Zasae who accompanies him everywhere, whether he likes it or not.

Sayo Yuuki
i_sayoa.jpg

A Shinto shrine maiden with designs on Kohtaro. Sayo appears to be investigating the murders at the request of another. She attacks with spiritual wards.

Gennojo Hyuga
i_hyugaa.jpg

A werewolf/detective, who assumes the form of an ancient wolf god when enraged. He's something of a cheapskate, investigating the murders on his free time.

Fumiko Odette Van Stein
i_fumikoa.jpg

A half-German half-Japanese witch. The rise of the Nazi Empire forced her family's movement to Japan, where she's resided ever since. Fumiko is also quite wealthy, and is usually accompanied by her butler, Munchausen. Munchausen's aerial bombings are the form of her special attack. He usually has a different costume with each appearance.

Kim Dae-Jeong
i_kima.jpg

A Confucian Taoist from Korea who also teaches Tae Kwon Do to children in his spare time. One of his students was murdered by the killers, forcing his hand. His guitar case conceals a sword, which is used in his special attack.

??? (Tagami)
tagami2a.jpg

A sexless wanderer. Tagami first appeared in Alfa's PlayStation lightgun shooter, Elemental Gearbolt. She's a member of the Septentrion, the organization responsible for the murders. Tagami uses weak homing shots, and a special attack consisting of short-range solar flares.

jyyPFA2.jpg

Standard Attack
shikigami1-02.png

The normal pattern fire. Enemies release coins freely, which have to be gathered by the player. These attacks double in intensity if the player grazes enemy fire, meaning their shots are immediately next to the player's hitbox, similar to "buzzing" from Skonec's Psyvariar. This is called the Tension Bullet System, or "TBS".

The hitbox is usually the very center of the character sprite, and they can not die unless it is struck, making it possible to weave through insane amounts of oncoming shots. However, rather than this being the focus of the gameplay, like Psyvariar, it's something you can take advantage of to win boss battles quicker and reach for higher scores. It's a brilliant risk-reward system, even though it involves squinting at the screen to figure out exactly where your characters hitboxes are.

Shikigami Attack
shikigami1-09.png

Uses spiritual power to attack. Many of these have a short range or some other limitation, but the coins earned from killing enemies go automatically to the player. This is usually done by holding down the fire button, as there are alternate buttons which can be held down for continuous fire.
shikigami1-15.png

The closer the player is to enemy fire, the more coins they gain. If a player kills an enemy with a Shikigami attack while grazing, they'll gain up to eight times the resulting amount of coins. For scoring, it's best to use this against bosses.

Bomb
shikigami1-18.png

These are typical of bullet hell shooters. Some do high power destruction, some do more focused damage, but all briefly protect the player from enemy fire. The player gets anywhere from three to five... except for Tagami's, who's screen filling blast only gets one, but it can usually kill a boss in one shot.

opIX6Vl.jpg

(Steam Version)

(Original Version, Shikigami no Shiro EX / Fan Translation)

Special Thanks
Alfa System
Degica
Cosmo Machia
And to everyone "who actually reads that shit".

08gVHZn.jpg

Jucksalbe

Banned
Never really got into the Shikigami series. I did play the one on PS2 for a bit, but that English version was so bad, I never bothered for long.
I'll get this one on Steam sometime later, don't really have the time to play this at the moment. Kinda sad that there doesn't seem to be any interest in the game here, though.

Fudo Myo

Nice OT, OP. I have 2 on PS3 and 3 on Wii, so was excited to pick this up. Bosses are some serious Japanese wackadoo craziness, which I love.

Was extremely disappointed that TATE mode has no zoom, so you're stuck with small resolution in the centre of the screen. Hope that gets patched soon.

Eolz

Nice OT!

So in terms of gameplay, what could it be compared to? I've never played it, and while the setting seems interesting, the gameplay doesn't seem that great looking at the trailer.
Is it just an impression? I've played (and still play) quite a bit of old shmups, so I don't mind if that's the case as long as it feels good.

cj_iwakura

Nice OT!

So in terms of gameplay, what could it be compared to? I've never played it, and while the setting seems interesting, the gameplay doesn't seem that great looking at the trailer.
Is it just an impression? I've played (and still play) quite a bit of old shmups, so I don't mind if that's the case as long as it feels good.
Probably ESPGaluda or whatever its called would be most comparable. Shiki 1 is, frankly, the least good of the three, but still has some real tough fights. The story is intriguing, too.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
GOG? No? Ok, then waiting for a sale. I think the idea of Shikigami getting re-released is more interesting than the actual game, honestly.

Eolz

Probably ESPGaluda or whatever its called would be most comparable. Shiki 1 is, frankly, the least good of the three, but still has some real tough fights. The story is intriguing, too.

Thanks for the info!
If I don't buy too many games during the sale (unlikely), I'll buy it on the last day to support future episodes.

Tain

I want point filtering on this release, lol. The blurring to the PSX-level sprites in contrast to hyper crisp backgrounds is BRUTAL.

Maybe I can get what I want out of GeDoSaTo.

magnetic

Does this port really not have a stage select or am I missing something? The game is still kinda all over the place but fun with all the different characters, but no option to practice a specific stage is a massive oversight. I´m a bit baffled, to be honest. I don´t think I´ve ever played a shmup port that didn´t have a practice mode.

cj_iwakura

Does this port really not have a stage select or am I missing something? The game is still kinda all over the place but fun with all the different characters, but no option to practice a specific stage is a massive oversight. I´m a bit baffled, to be honest. I don´t think I´ve ever played a shmup port that didn´t have a practice mode.
Nope. The original EX release did though.

cj_iwakura

I hate to ask, but has anyone managed to look at the files to see if they're compatible with SnS EX? I'm curious for reasons.

cj_iwakura

New update:

Added Slowdown option
Accessed via the Options, this can be turned on or off. The slowdown is as close as we can get to the original console releases, but will vary depending on your PC.
Added Practice Mode
Accessed via the main menu. New stages are opened once you've reached them in the main game. Each character's practice stages are independent, so unlocking stages for one character will not unlock them for the others. Scores are local only.
Fixed leaderboard issues
Without getting into technical discussions, the problem here is that Shikigami's scores are larger than Steam's leaderboards can cope with, so the approach we took was to divide the scores uploaded to Steam by 10, while leaving the in-game scores faithful to the original game.
Changed Extend scores to match original game
Very Easy: First 100,000,000 and every further 100,000,000 points
Easy: First 100,000,000 and every further 200,000,000 points
Normal: First 150,000,000 and every further 300,000,000 points
Hard: First 200,000,000 and every further 400,000,000 points
Very Hard: First 250,000,000 and every further 400,000,000 points

Eolz

Pretty cool update! Discount too, I have to say I'm tempted to get it, but I'm still not really convinced by what I've seen. Will see before the contest is over, it's easy to participate.

Man, great OT. I don't know if these are good games, per say, but they're certainly entertaining and the content makes it insanely replayable.

Top Bottom