• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Mirror of Fate - 3D, HD or no D?

Teggy

Working my way through Lords of Shadow 1 right now and was planning on stopping there due to hearing poor reviews of the other entries, but looking on Steam, user reviews seem quite good for both Mirror of Fate and 2.

When I look at the media reviews of Mirror of Fate, a lot of the bad ones seem to come down to, "this isn't a metroidvania so it is bad". The good reviews take the game as it is.

What was the final word for GAF? And if it's worth playing, go with 3DS or the remaster?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Decently fun game. I liked it on 3DS. If you get the remaster, keep it mind it was designed as a portable game. The 3D isn't a dealbreaker. Kinda neat, but forgettable.

Lt.Chips

Played the remastered version on the PS3. The biggest issue for me was the super slow and clunky movement of the main character. And why wasn't the framerate 60 in the remastered version, I'll never understand. I think this is a problem, Metroidvania or not.

ZeroX03

Banned
I've played both 3DS and PS3 version and I'd probably say the remastered version for general clarity and more stable framerate.

Short and forgettable is accurate. Not a bad game - neither is LoS2 but that has it's own problems - but don't expect much.

Fbh

I played it on 3DS.

It was average. Graphics were pretty decent and the game had some good ideas but overall the gameplay just feels clunky and the level design is incredibly simplistic and boring compared to most 2D castlevanias (or any decent metroidvania, really).

Working my way through Lords of Shadow 1 right now and was planning on stopping there due to hearing poor reviews of the other entries, but looking on Steam, user reviews seem quite good for both Mirror of Fate and 2.

When I look at the media reviews of Mirror of Fate, a lot of the bad ones seem to come down to, "this isn't a metroidvania so it is bad". The good reviews take the game as it is.

What was the final word for GAF? And if it's worth playing, go with 3DS or the remaster?

Is barely worth playing unless you are that into Lords of Shadows and want to see what happened between both games (and what happened is quite boring indeed). Is a mediocre action game, it fails both as classic castlevania and as metroidvania.

Beartruck

I wouldn't recommend it. It always felt super clunky to me. There were multiple moments in the demo where you could've just done a regular whip attack or whatever to platform, and instead the game demand I press the "interact with environment button" . Euch.

Wanderer5

Probably the HD version if it doesn't have least the crappy framerate that was a big turn off from the demo for me, through there were other things that bugged me a bit about it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
100%'ed the game on 3DS before the remaster ever hit and I thought it was an incredibly bland experience. Combat and traversal were slow and clunky. Which just should not be in this kind of game. I can't recommend it.

A perfectly adequate entry into the CV series for me, an odd mix of LoS style and a dash of Metroidvania.
It has a few interesting moments, if nothing else its's probably the most consistently solid of the LoS saga minus the higher points of the console outings.

If you can get it on the cheap it may be worth a look, I assume the HD version works out better but I played it on 3DS myself.

Godcannon

Final Word from GAF? Avoid LOS series like the plague.

Final word from me? LOS1 had some pretty amazing designs and ideas, but I thought the combat and pacing broke the game. Mirror of Fate lacks depth but has my favorite storyline out of all 3. LOS2 was disappointing in almost every way.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Played it on PC. It was decent. I found it less annoying than LoS overall, the QTEs and other annoying shit (like Chupacabra sections) were fewer and farther between. It's a decent little action-platformer, the Metroidvania elements are however very light so don't expect SotN quality.
I'd say get it for PC if you do end up getting it, at least you're sure it'll run smoothly and it'll probably run at a much better resolution.

Final word from me? LOS1 had some pretty amazing designs and ideas, but I thought the combat and pacing broke the game. Mirror of Fate lacks depth but has my favorite storyline out of all 3. LOS2 was disappointing in almost every way.

The hell? I agree that the first third of the game is slow pacing wise but I have no idea how the combat wasn't really good, let alone game breaking? I've played through it several times and the combat works really well and shines especially on boss fights.

M3d10n

Only play the 3DS version if you plan on playing with 3D on all the time since it helps a lot in distinguishing the foreground from the background, as well as enemies and items. It's very hard to see things in 2D on the small low res screen. Otherwise go with the HD versions.

... or whatever is cheaper since the game is pretty bland and dry compared to the DS igavanias. Exploration is very light and there is very little to discover. You might enjoy it more if you view it as a sidescrolling God of War.

Alex

I remember the combat in LoS being very busted, literally doing the same exploit-y thing for every enemy pack. And yeah, it's really badly paced and combined with Patrick Stewart droning you to sleep that really hurt early on. Also didn't help that it ran at like 23 FPS on consoles and was ultimately about 3 times longer than it probably should have been.

It had nice enough art and tone but the levels and combat, yuck. Never played the full version of Mirror but the demo was really painful.

Eusis

You might enjoy it more if you view it as a sidescrolling God of War.
I think this is what annoyed me. Well, it maybe been better in a series that didn't already have strongly established 2D platforming roots, but I suspect that kind of gameplay may be OK in 3D because of the nature of the controls, but in 2D is just awkward and doesn't really because that stiffness and automation really isn't necessary.

Only played the demo but even as a Castlevania fan. It did nothing to convince me.

That's coming from someone the owns most of the DS and GBA Castlevania games and likes them

I bought a 3ds because of all the good castlevania games we got on gba and ds.

Bought this and fuck, thank god I had Fire emblem and Luigis Mansion too

Reebot

The game is fine, in a kind of blandly enjoyable way.

Go for 3D; its never going to be a looker not matter the version but the 3D effect actually adds to the experience quite a bit.

this game is shit.
movement is sluggish, like youve got a massive dump in your pants at all times.
The IGA DS trilogy shits all over it.

kunonabi

It's awful as the combat is completely braindead, the exploration elements are medicore, and the multiple characters are pretty half-assed. Easily one of the worst CV games.

M-PG71C

There are so many excellent Castlevania titles, this is not one of them. At all. Go back and start with Symphony of the Night and go from there. Fuck LoS.

Verger

Banned
If you like Lords of Shadow, then you should give the other two games a try. Most of the people hating the game hated the series entirely (as can be seen from the responses in this thread) for a lot of biased reasons rather than giving the games a fair shake (ie. the "how dare they do that to my precious Castlevania!!" crowd).

I enjoyed the other two games despite their problems.

TreIII

Played the entire game on 3DS.

And honestly? It's not the worst, but...you could be doing other, better things with your money. For all that they talked about the multiple characters, it's a bit more disappointing considering they all basically play the same way.

Turned me off on the LOS series from that day forward, which is sad, considering I actually did find something to like about the original.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If you like Lords of Shadow, then you should give the other two games a try. Most of the people hating the game hated the series entirely (as can be seen from the responses in this thread) for a lot of biased reasons rather than giving the games a fair shake (ie. the "how dare they do that to my precious Castlevania!!" crowd).

I enjoyed the other two games despite their problems.

Shit frame rate
Terrible Combat
Awful Character Movement
Sub Par OST
Shit Level Design

Yes we all hate it cause what they did to Castlevania vs the game actually being shit to the core. *rolls eyes*

Verger

Banned
Shit frame rate
Terrible Combat
Awful Character Movement
Sub Par OST
Shit Level Design

Yes we all hate it cause what they did to Castlevania vs the game actually being shit to the core. *rolls eyes*
And these things are purely subjective. Most of what you say seems to fall under "it's not Castlevania" (ie. characters slower than CV chars, OST isn't Michiru Yamane, Level Design isn't complex IGA castle, etc.)

Also when someone's only remark about a game is "Fuck this game!", I doubt they gave it a fair shake.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Shit frame rate
Terrible Combat
Awful Character Movement
It ran and played fine on PC. As for the combat, well, I agree it's not very good, but then Castlevania games have never been known for their super awesome combat. It was serviceable enough.

Sub Par OST
Shit Level Design

"shit to the core" is a bit much, but I do agree with those. LoS games have great art but mediocre everything else, especially gameplay and music.

Verger

Banned
It ran and played fine on PC. As for the combat, well, I agree it's not very good, but then Castlevania games have never been known for their super awesome combat. It was serviceable enough.

"shit to the core" is a bit much, but I do agree with those. LoS games have great art but mediocre everything else, especially gameplay and music.
Yeah, I've never understood how people can think of Castlevania combat as "Great". It's basically strike enemy with whip/sword several times and they go down (and bosses lots of times), only thing LoS did was slow down the process a bit, but otherwise it is the same.

Top Bottom