• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cat Power Announces Covers for New Album.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
As far as I'm concerned, I'd be perfectly happy with her doing covers forever. The Covers Record is probably in my Top 10 of all-time (though it's my third favorite Cat Power album) and my wife and I danced to "I Found a Reason" at our wedding.

ole-754_jukebox-1.jpg

1. Theme From ‘New York, New York’
Written by Fred Ebb/John Kander, published by EMI Unart Catalog, Inc. (BMI)
2. Metal Heart
Written by Chan Marshall, published by Dormat Music/Mattitude Music (BMI)
3. Ramblin’ (Wo)man
Written by Hank Williams, published by SONY/ATV Acuff Rose Music (BMI)
4. Song To Bobby
Written by Chan Marshall, published by Mattitude Music (BMI)
5. Aretha, Sing One For Me
Written by J Harris/Eugene William, published by Happy Hooker Music/Irving Music (BMI)
6. Lost Someone
Written by James Brown/Bobby Byrd/Lloyd Stallworth, published by Jadar Music Corp. (BMI)
7. I Believe In You
Written by Bob Dylan, published by Special Rider Music (SESAC)
8. Fortunate Son
Written by John Fogerty, published by Jondora Music (BMI)
9. Silver Stallion
Written by Lee Clayton, published by Resaca Music Publishing Co. (BMI)
10. Dark End of the Street
Written by Chips Moman/Dan Penn, published by Screen Gems-EMI Music, Inc. (BMI)
11. Don’t Explain
Written by Arthur Herzog, Jr./Billie Holiday, published by Songs Of Universal, Inc. (BMI)
12. Woman Left Lonely
Written by Spooner Oldham/Dan Penn, published by Embassy Music Corp./Dan Penn Music (BMI)

http://www.matadorrecords.com/matablog/?p=925

My only gripe is that she didn't (or wasn't able to) release full-lengths of her wonderful (and now ubiquitous) commercial work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEk1rp96gZw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-jOjK003Yk
http://www.modernista.com/6/index.html ---> Work ---> TIAA-CREF ---> Pianist (7/12)

Or redo some of the covers she's previously done on the Peel Sessions or elsewhere off-album (e.g., "He Was a Friend of Mine," "Knocking on Heaven's Door").

swoon

not a bad list. the last three make me pretty happy.

but do we really need to hear her (or anyone) sing fortunate son? does she have her touring band backing her on this one?

Fifty

Considering how many covers she has at her disposal, I'm a little surprised there's only 12 tracks. Maybe she's just being a crazy diva and excluding the stuff that doesn't fit the sound she's going for here, or maybe they're just saving more for future albums.

teepo

swoon said:
not a bad list. the last three make me pretty happy.

but do we really need to hear her (or anyone) sing fortunate son? does she have her touring band backing her on this one?

she's been touring with the delta blue band for over a year now.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
the cover art looks like that gaf meme.. the one where you draw multicolored people..

but like, its allready done.

Jason

I wonder what the new Metal Heart sounds like. Has she been playing it live lately? I saw her perform it solo last year but it was essentially the Moon Pix version just slower.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
the cover art looks like that gaf meme.. the one where you draw multicolored people..

but like, its allready done.

Yeah but I'll take it over the hot pink + boxing gloves of The Greatest any day. Only Cat Power album art I've every really liked (and that I felt was fitting with the music) was Moon Pix.

d314233168h.jpg

I kind of wanted to see that Cat Stevens song she covered on there. I hope that she's matured. Her meltdowns on stage were not only legendary, but unintentionally hilarious.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Absinthe said:
Her meltdowns on stage were not only legendary, but unintentionally hilarious.

Yeah pretty much. I saw her first about eight years ago and I think she came on stage about two or three hours late but that was the "worst" of it and it was actually a great show, and supposedly her shows have been getting even better the past year. I missed her last one though because it was literally a day or two after she canceled her tour.

Jason

She was on her best behavior the 3 times I saw her last year. A stark contrast to her drunken performance back in 2003 (which was still awesome, mind you).

At one of the shows, she passed me her bottle of water to give to someone who fainted. I was tempted to keep the bottle and make a shrine of some sort but I thought otherwise.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
AstroLad said:
Yeah but I'll take it over the hot pink + boxing gloves of The Greatest any day. Only Cat Power album art I've every really liked (and that I felt was fitting with the music) was Moon Pix.

d314233168h.jpg

so's that's who's in your avatar.
Didn't hear a lot of her stuff, but I really really like her (abeit short) cover of "hanging on the telephone"

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
FTWer said:
so's that's who's in your avatar.
Didn't hear a lot of her stuff, but I really really like her (abeit short) cover of "hanging on the telephone"

Yeah, if you enjoy it you should definitely check out Moon Pix, The Covers Record, or You Are Free.

"I Don't Blame You" from You Are Free- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRcl_TefEak

Cosmic Bus said:
Is she covering herself here?

Yeah, she's done it before with "In This Hole" on The Covers Record (arguably the best song on that album) and a couple of other songs on older albums. They're actually pretty substantially different.

Karakand

Tracklist changes...

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/46972-cat-power-covers-lil-wayne-on-updated-ijukeboxi

Here in Newsland, we prefer to deal in certainties if at all possible. But the crew at Matador were right back in mid-October when they issued this warning along with the then-tentative tracklist for Cat Power's hotly anticipated Jukebox LP: "Much like real life, everything's subject to change."

The disc is still due January 22 from the label, still finds Ms. Marshall tackling the back pages of some formidable songwriters (including one Chan Marshall), still sees her recently Forkcasted Dylan tribute "Song to Bobby" making the cut, and still contains her feminine spin on Hank Williams' "Ramblin' Man". It has, however, been shaken up a bit otherwise. As they say, that's life.

Gone are Marshall's takes on Creedence's "Fortunate Son" and Chips Moman and Dan Penn's "Dark End of the Street". In their places (well, sort of, as the running order has moved around a bit, too): Jessie Mae Hemphill's "Lord, Help the Poor and Needy" and Joni Mitchell's "Blue". And it's hard to mourn too hard for a pair of lost tracks when Matador's sweetened the new deal with a five-song bonus disc to be included in a "limited edition silver foil deluxe package." It's like a delicious baked potato, only made out of music!

So what's on the bonus disc? Moby Grape's "Naked If I Want To" (a highlight of the original Covers Record), Nick Cave's "Breathless", Roberta Flack's "Angelitos Negros", Patsy Cline's "She's Got You", and-- wait for it-- a cover of the Hot Boys' "I Feel". Yep, those Hot Boys: Juvenile, B.G., Turk, and Weezy F. Baby (please say the... well, you know). YES!

Jason

Tracklist has been slightly altered and it will now include a bonus disc.

01 New York (Frank Sinatra)
02 Ramblin' (Wo)man (Hank Williams)
03 Metal Heart (Cat Power)
04 Silver Stallion (The Highwaymen)
05 Aretha, Sing One For Me (George Jackson)
06 Lost Someone (James Brown)
07 Lord, Help the Poor and Needy (Jessie Mae Hemphill)
08 I Believe in You (Bob Dylan)
09 Song to Bobby (Cat Power)
10 Don't Explain (Billie Holiday)
11 Woman Left Lonely (Janis Joplin)
12 Blue (Joni Mitchell)

Bonus:

01 I Feel (Hot Boys)
02 Naked If I Want To (Moby Grape)
03 Breathless (Nick Cave)
04 Angelitos Negros (Roberta Flack)
05 She's Got You (Patsy Cline)

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/46972-cat-power-covers-lil-wayne-on-updated-ijukeboxi

Grab an mp3 of 'Song to Bobby' here...

http://www.matadorrecords.com/mpeg/cat_power/cat_power_song_to_bobby.mp3

edit: my post is better because it has an mp3 :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Interesting. Well, can't wait regardless. Her "Real Slim Shady" isn't too bad, so I'm looking forward to the Hot Boys song. Lil' Wayne's "Fuck the World" would have been great, but I'll take it.

This isn't worth a new topic, so does anybody mind answering me what album of hers I should get as I'm not interested enough to hunt down her discography?

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
AstroLad said:
As far as I'm concerned, I'd be perfectly happy with her doing covers forever. The Covers Record is probably in my Top 10 of all-time (though it's my third favorite Cat Power album) and my wife and I danced to "I Found a Reason" at our wedding.
my wife and i did 'sea of love' :)

Aristotlekh said:
This isn't worth a new topic, so does anybody mind answering me what album of hers I should get as I'm not interested enough to hunt down her discography?
i think most would say moon pix, excluding ucla fans

Karakand

Aristotlekh said:
The Greatest is probably the easiest to approach.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sefskillz said:
my wife and i did 'sea of love' :)

Yeah I remember you mentioned you did that. We also did that one very early. Can't beat those two songs really.

Aristotlekh said:

It depends what you're into. Her albums are quite different. Moon Pix is a lot of peoples' first Cat Power album, as it's really solid start-to-finish, fairly varied, and quite accessible. "Colors and the Kids":
http://www.goear.com/listen.php?v=a603720

The Covers Record may be her most accessible album of all provided you're not averse to covers (even if you are a bit, odds are you haven't heard half the songs), but it's quite short. "I Found a Reason":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7OuHU8U-1E

You Are Free is another solid choice--the most produced of the three. "Maybe Not":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skreabVrMRk

Wow, I can't wait to hear her cover of "Angelitos Negros", that's one of my all-time favourite songs... though "I Told Jesus" from the same album seems more fitting for Chan's style.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Well it's out folks. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet as my d/l got messed up but will be listening tonight. Looks like Pitchfork didn't like it much but AV Club thought it was pretty good. As usual I'll make up my own mind.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
She did a live set for France Inter FM a couple of weeks ago, which you can grab here. Most of the Jukebox album is performed, along with a few other songs. I like these live versions better than the ones of the CD, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom