• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Categories in Gmail

RCU005

I am being forced to use Gmail at work. I have had a Gmail personal account for more of a decade but I've only used it for casual use like maybe 90%+ of people. This time, I'm learning how to use its features and how I can organize my email to be more effective for me.

Categories are a wonderful feature completely wasted by Google. Why would they make them automatically and so limited? As of now, we have Social, Updates, Forums, Promotions. For casual people this might be enough, or even irrelevant. But for work, you need better customization. You can't add or delete any Category, and those categories are automatically sorted.

I've seen Youtube videos where people create two or three labels ( like Follow Up, Read Later, etc) and then separate the inbox to have two panels for those tables. Well, these labels should just be categories with their own tab. Labels and Categories are different things, and Google is making us crate labels and use them as categories as a work-around, when they are already there!

If they were user-customizable, they would be a great tool to organize email.

I believe this is the worst missed opportunity for a feature.

/random thread

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
The labels functionality was one of the most innovative features when gmail launched. I've had it automatically tagging and sorting my email for nearly 20 years. The auto categories are ok for broad strokes. I like how it helps me clear out social media and promotion chaff. But labels gives you the flexibility to organize your own stuff.

Top Bottom