• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catfish, from the makers of Catfish. Where people get Catfished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

Anyone else watching tonight? This is wild

that episode was ridiculous. I'm totally not gay, man. I just search for women on a gay dating site and I'm very upset that she turned out not to be a guy. But I'm not gay

Anyways, the thing that bothers me most about the show (more than whether or not it is fake) is how formulaic it usually is:

-Neve and Max(?) wake up in some hotel room and flirt with each other.
-Neve checks his email and immediately finds someone for the episode
-Go and meet the guy/girl being scammed
-Neve plugs google image search and finds the scammer's photos on someone elses myspace. Acts shocked
-Go and meet the friends of the guy/girl being scammed
-Tell the guy/girl what they found on myspace
-Call the scammer from a hotel and after 2 minutes of tough negotiating the scammer agrees to meet them tomorrow, despite refusing to do so for the last X years
-Go to meet them; Scammer takes forever to answer door; Turns out to be lying about at least one thing (sometimes minor, sometimes major)
-Final skype with Neve

I suppose it was a bit of a twist when the girl he meets for "go and meet the friend of the guy/girl being scammed" turned out to be the scammer

Regardless if this is fake or not people need to learn how to use skype so you can see people in real time before you make the journey.

sangreal

Regardless if this is fake or not people need to learn how to use skype so you can see people in real time before you make the journey.

They usually know that, but the person they're talking to comes up with some excuse not to use skype. All the episodes end with a skype chat

The whole Manti situation is probably really helping this show................. *patiently waits for Manti to appear on show

apesh1t

Banned
I've met several people online and they at least kind of looked like they did online.

Either this show only shows the failure and the complete off the wall meetups or this show is staged. I mean they use Google image search as a start..........

mr2xxx

Banned
This show I can see, but what was so fake about the original film?

On top of what sangreal posted the dude is probably gay. Honestly what are the chances of an attractive male ballerina with a tramp stamp being straight? Not saying he cant be straight but I wouldn't bet on it.

saunderez

Again, not a single person is saying the show (or movie) is fake because people don't lie on the internet. Why do you keep repeating that?

Because of Occam's Razor. People lie on the internet all the time, therefore to me its more believable that this is the case than a conspiracy that could easily be outed by anyone involved in the show or the movie. All it takes is a single person involved to come out and say it's all staged and the gig is up. To my knowledge that has yet to happen which gives credence to my belief that is is real.

I didn't catch yesterdays episode but the one last monday i think where the guy faked being a girl was mind blowing, that guys face when he found out was painful, he was so destroyed.

I think they shouldn't have met at his house, the guy knows his address now D:

but lol at getting kicked out of college for catfishing a RA

i really need to watch the movie.

Vyer

Because of Occam's Razor. People lie on the internet all the time, therefore to me its more believable that this is the case than a conspiracy that could easily be outed by anyone involved in the show or the movie. All it takes is a single person involved to come out and say it's all staged and the gig is up. To my knowledge that has yet to happen which gives credence to my belief that is is real.

Eh....not saying you are wrong, but that same logic could be applied to any 'reality show', and we know how that would work out. This is less a natural event and still a production.

saunderez

Eh....not saying you are wrong, but that same logic could be applied to any 'reality show', and we know how that would work out. This is less a natural event and still a production.

Well yeah obviously it's production, nothing shown would happen if it wasn't for Nev and his crew. I still believe the people involved are legitimate. I'm happy to be proven wrong, I just haven't seen any compelling evidence yet.

mr2xxx

Banned

Occam's razor wouldn't apply since how do start the film so early in the relationship without searching online if she was fake, how are they there for all the critical moments? The simplest answer is that it was staged.

Occam's razor wouldn't apply since how do start the film so early in the relationship without searching online if she was fake, how are they there for all the critical moments? The simplest answer is that it was staged.

eh not really. I don't recall what it was, but they originally were doing the doc about something else, and then the internet romance became much more interesting. and it's not like they followed nev around with a film crew, it was just a couple guys and they all lived together. so not really hard to catch the interesting stuff. and as soon as they started discovering the small lies is when they started looking into "megan" more.

Salsa

I remember liking Catfish a lot more than most people and was lookin forward to these two guys' carreer

fuck them

Galang

Banned
Saw this for the first time today during a marathon. My mom was hooked hah. I've had one encounter similar to one of the episodes I saw actually...I was desperate and naive at the time, but things like shown here do happen in real life all the time. So even if fake, I could relate to some of it and found it entertaining. Some of the outcomes so far are pretty messed up, but for a show like this to get ratings I assume they choose the most outlandish ones regardless. I hope there's actually one episode with an actual happy couple though..

MIMIC

Banned
Saw this for the first time today during a marathon. My mom was hooked hah. I've had one encounter similar to one of the episodes I saw actually...I was desperate and naive at the time, but things like shown here do happen in real life all the time. So even if fake, I could relate to some of it and found it entertaining. Some of the outcomes so far are pretty messed up, but for a show like this to get ratings I assume they choose the most outlandish ones regardless. I hope there's actually one episode with an actual happy couple though..

LOL, I keep hoping for this every time I happen to catch an episode.

"Please be the actual person. Please be the actual person. PLEASE BE THE ACTUAL PERSON!

"Fuck"

Cloudy

Banned
On tonight's episode, the catfisher is real but broke after claiming to be rich

edit: He's also a criminal lol

So yeah, I have this online relationship with someone I think is real.

I think I'll contact the producers of "Catfish."

That way they can do basic googling to discover the person is actually fake.

And it can all be on TV.

As far as I'm concerned.. it's extremely questionable that the show and the way it presents the stories are entirely real.. there may be true aspects to each story, but I also wouldn't be shocked if some of the stories are 100% made up by people just to get on TV. And the show itself often gives away that it is creating fake scenarios.. in particular, I doubt they've ever "surprised" anyone at their home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom