• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cecil the lion’s son shot dead by trophy hunter, officials say

EGM1966

It's an emotional response but I'm not a fan of this legal or not. There's got to be a better way for us to exist and hunting animals just for the thrill ain't doesn't make the grade for me.

Here's an idea:

DON'T FUCKING HUNT ENDANGERED ANIMALS YOU FUCKING MONSTERS.

I would love to keep that as "animals" period but god knows you're not gonna stop stupid hunters from shooting deer in the woods.

And yes, I know lions are Vulnerable, not fully Endangered.

Mimir

Yes, but for very different reasons. Read the thread, instead of knee-jerk jumping into vegetarian defense tactics. The guy I replied to was trying to say there's no difference between shooting a lion and shooting a cow or chicken. Any shred of knowledge about the operation of ecosystems proves that wrong.

I'm not pro meat eating either for the record. I'm not a vegetarian but I do restrict myself to sustainable meat only. Chicken a couple of times a week is my limit. Never eat beef. Pork once a month at most as a rare treat. If you're further concerned about my impact on wildlife I manage multiple conservation sites for species diversity and am creating a massive wildflower patch in my garden to boost invertebrate health in my area. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about here =P
Sorry if I came across as attacking you. I'm obviously against the needless killing of lions as well. The reasons are very different, but the outcome is still more species extinctions and serious damage to ecosystems. It's great that you've drastically reduced both the suffering of animals and your impact on the environment. I wish more people would eat like that.

Tigress

i think the hunts help pay for the protected parks in the area and help pay for the employees as well. i think that's how a lot of parks are funded. give people an incentive and they will take care of the land and animals.

I'm really torn on this. One side of me says that by making it so lucrative you encourage them to start playing loose with the rules or even start campaigning to make the rules really lax. I just don't see how making it lucrative to kill them doesn't have a huge problem with encouraging them to start killing more and finding ways around rules or even changing them (the government itself can see how much money they make off of it, and let's be honest, ZImbabwe right now isn't known for having a really moral government).

The other side says people are going to poach anyways and if you make it legal you may channel more of that into a more controlled way for them to kill. But, when it comes to animals that are hunted mostly for trophy hunts (and not cause there is a market for the product), not sure the poaching would out do how many are killed for legal hunts especially if they start loosening the rules (because it's very lucrative). And I'm sorry, people overall have not shown that they are far sighted enough to go, "this is lucrative, we want to conserve this so we have this in the future" vs. " this is lucrative, killing more will get us more money now".

And honestly, I don't care if you can justify it by saying your money is helping, if you get your kicks by killing endangered animals, I think you're scum. Why not get your kicks by taking photos of them (just as hard really, harder cause they don't die and you have to sneak away too)? You still have proof you found one, you have to sneak up on them (Hell, it's even more important they don't see you are there), it has all the thrills of hunting them except for the actual killing part (and I am going to think you are scum for wanting to make one less endangered animal in the world when you know they are rare and populations are struggling).

I don't get the thrill that comes from shooting a defenseless animal minding its own business. It's not like it's a fair fight and the lion is armed with a gun too. It's also not like you need to hunt the lion for food/survival. It's a barbaric stupid activity for cowards and weak-minded fools.

Back in the day when our early ancestors hunted they hunted for survival and food, hunting endangered animals nowadays is just a show of stupidity and ignorance. I don't care about the money these hunters bring in to these impoverished countries, it's still a stupid idea, and there have got to be better ways to co-exist with these endangered animals.

Top Bottom