• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Celebrities in ESPN 2005 is worse then I thought...

DMczaf

919830_20040601_screen002.jpg

They pop up on the damn screen! HELP!

DMczaf

Fifty said:
There's a celebrities feature? :O

Got any details? I'm stupid.

ESPN Videogames announced today that this year when you're chillin' in your virtual NFL 2005 crib, your phone will ring and a variety of celebrities will call and challenge you to games. The celebrity teams will consist of a lineup of each celeb's favorite players, and they even had a hand in naming their teams, designing the uniforms, and even lending their voice to talk some smack.

The list of celebrities includes Funkmaster Flex , Jamie Kennedy, Carmen Electra, Steve-O of Jackass and former WCW champ, David Arquette.
"Growing to well over 9 billion dollars in revenue, the industry has become a mainstream outlet, and sports video games are leading the pack," said Steve Raab, Senior senior Vice vice President president of Marketing marketing for Visual Concepts, the producers of ESPN Videogames. "We approached key celebrities who represent appeal to the broad diverse range of sports video game enthusiasts. We're very excited by the new possibilities this relationship brings and are pleased that each of these celebrities are as enthusiastic to work with ESPN Videogames as we are with them."

Meier

So god damn retarded. Unlocking characters in ESPN Football was the worst feature of the franchise mode. They always wanted 8-10 million per year and there was no way anyone who could unlock them would have the salary cap to afford them so you were basically upgrading other teams by doing well.

DMczaf

Meier said:
So god damn retarded. Unlocking characters in ESPN Football was the worst feature of the franchise mode. They always wanted 8-10 million per year and there was no way anyone who could unlock them would have the salary cap to afford them so you were basically upgrading other teams by doing well.

LMAO! Thank god i never started a ESPN franchise

Madden Franchise mode > *

Tellaerin

DMczaf said:
ESPN Videogames announced today that this year when you're chillin' in your virtual NFL 2005 crib, your phone will ring and a variety of b-list celebrity wannabes and has-beens will call and challenge you to games.

Fixed.

is that Funk Master Flex? That fucker is ALWAYS yelling. WHY? Having him popup on the screen and start yelling would be scarier than Silent Hill.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I hope Carmen Electra tells me to hit her hard.

Mrbob

What is wrong with Visual Concepts?!?! Why do they always try to put so much effort in the shittiest extras?

retardboy

Because their game is already so much better that they have time to play with extras. Obviously I'm kidding but goodness... You guys seem to have run out of things to complain about so you're now complaining about little extra features like this.

Fifty

No. Last year the same comments (albeit phrased differently) were said about the 1st person football idea.

Mrbob

No. I'm arguing that Visual Concepts still hasn't figured out what the sports football gamer wants by offering all these gimmicky extras.

Oh well maybe they'll figure it out after they look over the sales tally in January 2005 with Madden selling 4 million and NFL2K5 selling 500,000.

retardboy

This is not a major extra. VIP is a major extra. Not this... You make it seem like they thought this would make or break the game.

so when you sign flex, will he replay the first ten seconds of the game OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER then cut right to another game?

i'll never forget that night when he had a 30 minute marathon of 'in da club' and didnt get past the first four bars on the song...

Ramirez

Time wasted on this could be used ironing out bugs in Franchise mode and gameplay faults...but no I think we'd rather work on Funk Master Flex's team!!!

Meier

retardboy said:
Because their game is already so much better that they have time to play with extras. Obviously I'm kidding but goodness... You guys seem to have run out of things to complain about so you're now complaining about little extra features like this.

Fuck yes I'm complaining. It was an AWFUL "feature" last year and it looks to be even worse this time. I'd rather Jacky Bryant be kicking 60 yard field goals for Detroit than Steve-O or some bullshit "celebrity" being on their team. Sorry but 'rewarding' me by making my opponents is better is fucking stupid as is and this just brings it to another level.

retardboy

Meier said:
Fuck yes I'm complaining. It was an AWFUL "feature" last year and it looks to be even worse this time. I'd rather Jacky Bryant be kicking 60 yard field goals for Detroit than Steve-O or some bullshit "celebrity" being on their team. Sorry but 'rewarding' me by making my opponents is better is fucking stupid as is and this just brings it to another level.

This isn't their major feature. VIP is, and it looks to kick all sorts of a**.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
First they drop the price, then it starts adding stuff that makes it look like a budget game. hehe, just kidding. :p

Can't say I'm in love with that feature, looks kinda ugly. So you just play against an AI opponent based on those celebrities? Well at least you get to see some of their team choices...always try to look for something positive.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
retardboy said:
This isn't their major feature. VIP is, and it looks to kick all sorts of a**.

The one HUGE limitation about VIP is that it doesn't work with online opponents. I figure that would be the place that I would really want it.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
OMG...Visual Concepts is taking a page out of Madden's playbook. Instead of an anniversary edition of 2K5, there will be city-specific versions you can purchase! Play a celebrity from your own hometown! Wow!

Houston

celebmac.gif

retardboy

Meier said:
I dont care; it should have been REMOVED, not made more idiotic.

It wasn't made more idiotic. The Crib has a lot more you can do now. It's not the same old crib with celebs that call. Geez. It's improved.

retardboy

dskillzhtown said:
The one HUGE limitation about VIP is that it doesn't work with online opponents. I figure that would be the place that I would really want it.

Hmph, I thought you could download someone elses VIP from online. So if it's a high ranked player, you can dl his profile and practice on his VIP before you play him.

Meier

retardboy said:
It wasn't made more idiotic. The Crib has a lot more you can do now. It's not the same old crib with celebs that call. Geez. It's improved.

You're missing the point dude. I loved The Crib mode but and I'm not complaining about THE CRIB MODE itself. I put in something like 60 hours into my franchise but the unlocking Sega characters/former NFL players 'feature' was bullshit and should have been removed or made so that the CPU could never sign the players if you didn't.

Instead they go and add b-list celebrities to the mix.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
The only features I care about in either NFL game is online play and online League Play. ESPN NFL2K5 covers both feature and hopefully we will find out this month if Madden 2005 does too.

League Play > then all other features combined

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
retardboy said:
Hmph, I thought you could download someone elses VIP from online. So if it's a high ranked player, you can dl his profile and practice on his VIP before you play him.

Unles things have changed recently, there was no way to create a VIP from an online opponent. I brought this up to a guy working on the game before E3. Hopefully they have added it now.

Gunstar77

Ramirez said:
In the latest OXM they interview the EA Live guy and he says no leagues this year...

That is very disappointing, if it ends up being true. FMT told me that EA had a big announcement in July and we were hoping it was League Play.

Well ESPN might have this stupid feature but at least VC knows that League Play is a must!!!!

Gunstar77

dskillzhtown said:
Unles things have changed recently, there was no way to create a VIP from an online opponent. I brought this up to a guy working on the game before E3. Hopefully they have added it now.

You can use it online.

To top it off, you can put your personal profiles online so that other gamers can play against your profile, scout your tendencies, and maybe learn a new way to run a specific play.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/514/514292p1.html

I love how they a) have to tell us what David Arquette is famous for B) And how being wcw champion was the best they could think of

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Mr. Courtney Cox would have been better.

Yeah, this isnt the greatest idea ever.. but if it gives the single player a bit more life, I'm all for it. I loved the crib last year, I even liked first person mode..

this game needs exactly two things:

1) Stop herculean running backs like Ricky Williams from breaking 45 tackles on his way to a TD.

2) WR's need to have less dropsies when hit. Some are fine, but TO should not drop passes when he is brushed by a defensive player.

These two issues create terrible balance.. its too easy to defend the pass and too hard to stop the run. So you wind up jamming about 8 guys in the box and going full on run stop, and the guy (if he is any good at all) can still ram the ball down your throat. OTOH, just drop a few guys back into a cover zone and the passing game is hard to pull off.

Also, number of turnovers should be cut down.. I hate losing an online game because my guy coughs up the ball.

Anyway, V.I.P. mode will absolutely rock me. I cant wait until this game drops, and for 20 bucks too. It sucks that ESPN has become a budget title.. but I guess I get to save 30 bucks this year.. maybe I'll nab madden too

retardboy

What do you mean?? It's great that ESPN has become a budget title. Hopefully it'll care over to other genres as well...

Top Bottom