• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

Ritzboof

A8rwUqd.png

The Cemu Patreon is now over $25000

im honestly surprised it didnt hit 30k a while ago, at the pace it was going. still a shitton of money

oxidax

Anybody having trouble with Smash on 1.7.3d? I remember being able to play with other versions and now everytime I open the file I get this:

Crashlog for CEMU 1.7.3d
Date: 28-03-2017 21:35:12

-----------------------------------------
Stack trace
0x0000000000000000 (+0x0000000000000000) Cemu.exe
0x0000000000000000 (+0x0000000000000000) Cemu.exe
0x00007ff92a48dc10 (+0x00007ff92a48dc10) Cemu.exe RtlNormalizeString
0x00007ff92a4391a0 (+0x00007ff92a4391a0) Cemu.exe RtlLookupFunctionEntry
0x00007ff92a4c90e0 (+0x00007ff92a4c90e0) Cemu.exe KiUserExceptionDispatcher
0x00007ff926c96420 (+0x00007ff926c96420) Cemu.exe GetOsSafeBootMode
Exception 0xc0000005 at 0x7ff6bcc6a2ad(+0xaa2ad) in module Cemu.exe
cemu.exe at 0x7ff6bcbc0000

RAX=000000008c7c0000 RBX=0000000081450000 RCX=0000000000000006 RDX=0000000033410000
RSP=000000002eeffa20 RBP=0000000000000000 RDI=00000000a0630006 RSI=0000000081450000
R8 =0000000000000003 R9 =0000000000000000 R10=00000000e9cfa020 R11=00000000bfe7f230
R12=0000000000000000 R13=0000000000000000 R14=0000000000000000 R15=0000000000000000

Game info
Game: Super Smash Bros. [US]
TitleId: 5000010144f00
RPXHash: df40dcd0

Active PPC instance
IP 0x026ee8ec LR 0x0233e230 Thread 0x50e24e60

PPC threads
50e24e60 Ent 00e20448 IP 0233e7c8 LR c8e73302 RUNNING Aff 010 Pri 80 Name NULL
119ecc00 Ent 023fcf0c IP 022ddd64 LR 64dd2d02 SUSPENDED Aff 100 Pri 65 Name ResourceSystem:Reading
119ed300 Ent 023fcf0c IP 022ddd64 LR 64dd2d02 SUSPENDED Aff 001 Pri 65 Name ResourceSystem:Reading
119eda00 Ent 023fcf0c IP 022de708 LR 08e72d02 SUSPENDED Aff 100 Pri 93 Name ResourceSystem:Dividing
119ee100 Ent 023fcf0c IP 022de708 LR 08e72d02 SUSPENDED Aff 001 Pri 93 Name ResourceSystem:Dividing
119ee840 Ent 023fcf0c IP 023fc9d0 LR d0c93f02 WAITING Aff 001 Pri 93 Name ResourceSystem:CheckModified
119eef80 Ent 023fcf0c IP 022dc3f0 LR f0c32d02 SUSPENDED Aff 001 Pri 93 Name ResourceSystem:Compaction
119f7240 Ent 03ae1bec IP 00e20484 LR f84e6d02 SUSPENDED Aff 100 Pri 79 Name NU::CommandManager

Running with the 16,500 shader cache. Using the "hack." Set the options in my Nvidia control panel.

Have a 3770k @ 4.5 GHz and a 980TI.

Only managing 20-27 FPS on average. Only seems to hit 30 for brief moments when it's zooming in on something or I'm indoors looking at the floor.

Not sure what else I can do really. Definitely not getting anywhere near that locked 30 FPS some people are reporting :(

Running with the 16,500 shader cache. Using the "hack." Set the options in my Nvidia control panel.

Have a 3770k @ 4.5 GHz and a 980TI.

Only managing 20-27 FPS on average. Only seems to hit 30 for brief moments when it's zooming in on something or I'm indoors looking at the floor.

Not sure what else I can do really. Definitely not getting anywhere near that locked 30 FPS some people are reporting :(

Yeah, your CPU is probably the limiting factor. I'd imagine most people reporting those values are running processors which have IPC advantages, on top of whatever overclocks they apply.

Emulators received significant speed improvements on Haswell over Ivy, with emulators running around 20-30% faster at the same clock speeds.

Emulators received significant speed improvements on Haswell over Ivy, with emulators running around 20-30% faster at the same clock speeds.

Uuuuugh. Other games are of course running fine. Mario Kart 8 at 4K 60 FPS no problem. I didn't think BotW would be all that demanding to be honest.

Durante

Yeah, it's an interesting case as it's one of the few likely "real world" effects of the significantly improved branch prediction in Haswell.

Mergesort

Yeah, your CPU is probably the limiting factor. I'd imagine most people reporting those values are running processors which have IPC advantages, on top of whatever overclocks they apply.

What is IPC? I have a 2500K OC @ 4,4, so newer Intels have an advantage?

Datschge

What is IPC? I have a 2500K OC @ 4,4, so newer Intels have an advantage?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructions_per_cycle
IPC is what is steadily being improved in CPU development. The higher the frequency and the higher the IPC the better. If frequency is the same the chip with higher IPC is still faster. IPC is especially important for single thread performance as that can often be a bottleneck, while multithreaded applications don't depend as much on maximal possible speed + IPC. This is why for gaming 7700K is currently preferred even though there are plenty better chips with more cores available. Emulators usually depend on this single thread performance.

Mergesort

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructions_per_cycle
IPC is what is steadily being improved in CPU development. The higher the speed and the higher the IPC the better. If speed is the same the chip with higher IPC is still faster. IPC is especially important for single thread performance as that can often be a bottleneck, while multithreaded applications don't depend as much on maximal possible speed + IPC. This is why for gaming 7700K is currently preferred even though there are plenty better chips with more cores available.

Thank you for the link, does that mean I get 100% more performance with a skylake chip as long as it has the same Ghz (looking at that table right now)?

BTW we have multicore CPU's for a long time, why is multithread performance still shit in many applications?

Datschge

Thank you for the link, does that mean I get 100% more performance with a skylake chip as long as it has the same Ghz (looking at that table right now)?

BTW we have multicore CPU's for a long time, why is multithread performance still shit in many applications?
No, that wikipedia table doesn't replace actual benchmarks, the actual improvement is more gradual that that. ^^

As for application support, multithreading is hard and not every workload can easily be split up to profit from it. Emulators are a good example, a big part of emulation is getting the timing between all involved hardware parts just right for game software to work as intended. This is way easier to achieve with a single thread where you don't need to care about timing between different threads on the top of it, which would multiply the complexity some more.

Mergesort

No, that wikipedia table doesn't replace actual benchmarks, the actual improvement is more gradual that that. ^^

As for application support, multithreading is hard and not every workload can easily be split up to profit from it. Emulators are a good example, a big part of emulation is getting the timing between all involved hardware parts just right for game software to work as intended. This is way easier to achieve with a single thread where you don't need to care about timing between different threads on the top of it, which would multiply the complexity some more.

Hmm, why is it not possible make the hardware do the job splitting?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
When I was originally building my Mini ITX machine, I hadn't realized I bought a motherboard that doesn't overclock. Additionally, I've only got a 450w power supply. I'm having real strong considerations about buying a MB that overclocks + a new PSU to make sure my PC can workhorse its way through Zelda.

i7 7600K feels kneecapped at 4.0GHz knowing how much of a performance boost I could probably get with an OC.

Why you gotta be such a good game Zelda?

Partially because of information loss during "baking" the program for the processor, but mostly because it's in general a pretty hard problem that more often than expected has a solution of "impossible". Competent programmers would already do it manually before hardware would verify what's going on.

You won't boil a small bowl of spaghetti faster in multiple kettles.

It's amazing that the incredibly skilled developers of RPCS3 are creating an emulator that takes advantage of many threads.

Is RPCS3 designed for single-core performance or multi-threaded performance?
RPCS3 is designed to make use of as many threads as possible. This means that processors such as Intel's 8 core, 16 thread 6900K or AMD's 8 core, 16 thread Ryzen 7 1700X will benefit greatly for emulating games at higher speeds. CPUs such as the Intel Core i7-7700K and the AMD FX 8320 will suffice but will not perform equally as well as a processor with more cores and threads.

I don't even, what is this wizardy?

Mergesort

Partially because of information loss during "baking" the program for the processor, but mostly because it's in general a pretty hard problem that more often than expected has a solution of "impossible". Competent programmers would already do it manually before hardware would verify what's going on.

You won't boil a small bowl of spaghetti faster in multiple kettles.

Hmm makes sense. In the end more cores are still good if every core gets uses by one program.

Datschge

There has been research into making compilers automatically creating multithreaded code to different degrees of success:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_parallelization
CPU's doing that work in real time is even harder since while compilers know the full scope of an application CPU's essentially know only what's in their cache at any given moment. And interdependency resolution is hard in any case.

There also has been research into improving single thread performance by letting multiple cores work on it at once called "Core Fusion Reconfigurable Multicore Architecture" (research paper PDF) but I don't know whether and how much current CPU designs try to make use of that.

Daedardus

Yeah, it's an interesting case as it's one of the few likely "real world" effects of the significantly improved branch prediction in Haswell.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't emulators the one application that usually take the most advantage of new processor archictectures and instruction features? I feel like you are always better off with a new chip when it comes to emulators.

It's amazing that the incredibly skilled developers of RPCS3 are creating an emulator that takes advantage of many threads.

I don't know RPCS3 implementation details but PS3 is in theory a great system for multithreaded emulation. Runs a real "dev annoying" OS already, gives games access to one in-order PowerPC core with two logical threads (unless one is for the OS) and six SPEs with three logical threads each that are designed to not interfere with each other too much, yet are somewhat inadequate to be emulated on GPU...

I honestly don't think there was anything like it before, multiple processors happened in various arcade machines and crazy nineties designs in theory but in practice these tend to have various parts potentially interacting with each other all the time which makes them sound way saner to be implemented on something like an FPGA than a regular CPU - well, maybe a specialized chip to handle emulation of old systems, heh. Cell's general design was not exclusively oriented towards games which as far as I know constrained code insanity somewhat.

tuxfool

Banned

They kind of have to. They're emulating a PS3 and thus would assign computation of each SPU to a thread. Of course a x86 core is far more capable than an SPU (maybe, it would be interesting to compare SIMD performance), but PS3 games were obviously optimized for robust parallelization.

I honestly don't think there was anything like it before, multiple processors happened in various arcade machines and crazy nineties designs in theory but in practice these tend to have various parts potentially interacting with each other all the time which makes them sound way saner to be implemented on something like an FPGA than a regular CPU - well, maybe a specialized chip to handle emulation of old systems, heh. Cell's general design was not exclusively oriented towards games which as far as I know constrained code insanity somewhat.

FPGAs aren't really designed for large volume products though, which was what the Cell was trying to straddle, wasteful too on power and die area. Nor at the time, could they hit such high frequencies as the Cell. Ultimately that put the Cell in a no-man's land as fully programmable GPUs could do a lot of the heavy lifting and much more efficiently.

Soooo... 7700K seems like the best all-around choice these days? I haven't really followed them since I bought my current. I just thought that each gen after was a TINY upgrade at best.

CHC

Does the next build seem to have any sound improvements? Seems like the main stumbling block for a lot of games. Personally, I've only tried Wind Waker on CEMU but there was some really bothersome crackling when I was out at sea.

shiyrley

Banned
Does the next build seem to have any sound improvements? Seems like the main stumbling block for a lot of games. Personally, I've only tried Wind Waker on CEMU but there was some really bothersome crackling when I was out at sea.
There's no sound cracking.

Go to the volume options in cemu. Turn it down, about 1/4 of the volume. Max out the volume on Windows / your speakers / whatever instead.

Magic.

CHC

There's no sound cracking.

Go to the volume options in cemu. Turn it down, about 1/4 of the volume. Max out the volume on Windows / your speakers / whatever instead.

Magic.

Interesting, I'll have to try that. I saw someone post something on reddit a while back but I didn't take it seriously as any kind of fix.

Chinbo37

When I was originally building my Mini ITX machine, I hadn't realized I bought a motherboard that doesn't overclock. Additionally, I've only got a 450w power supply. I'm having real strong considerations about buying a MB that overclocks + a new PSU to make sure my PC can workhorse its way through Zelda.

i7 7600K feels kneecapped at 4.0GHz knowing how much of a performance boost I could probably get with an OC.

Why you gotta be such a good game Zelda?

A 450 psu should be fine for an over clocked cpu and a modern gpu right?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
A 450 psu should be fine for an over clocked cpu and a modern gpu right?

I don't actually know how much overclocking will increase watt usage (I assumed it does. Not terribly versed in this avenue.) but currently, my max draw is 417w according to PCpartpicker so I figured I was riding close to the line.

tuxfool

Banned
Soooo... 7700K seems like the best all-around choice these days? I haven't really followed them since I bought my current. I just thought that each gen after was a TINY upgrade at best.

yeah, sort of. We're getting to the point where 6 core+ are entering into the mainstream, currently with Ryzen and soon Cannonlake. So it depends on what you want, though that 7700k should should be the best CPU for Cemu for a while. I don't know about other emulators (as noted above RPCS3 seems to like cores).

Vuze

Is it possible to mod CEMU games? It would be fucking awesome if people started making custom shrines ala the portal level editor.
Yeah sure. Just a matter of people being interested enough to RE all the stuff required for custom shrines.

I've yet to see even the simplest actual mod for BOTW though.

MUnited83

For you.
Is it possible to mod CEMU games? It would be fucking awesome if people started making custom shrines ala the portal level editor.

More or less, yeah. I think skin mods for Smash Bros for example work just fine. As for BOTW, I think people have been looking into it. Seems like it requires a crapload of unpacking and packing game files many many times, but it is theorically possible. At the very least, we should see some basic texture mods popping up.

MUnited83

For you.
new BOTW Wii U and Switch update apparently make the framerate a bit better. I don't expect it to result in a huge improvement on CEMU exactly but i'd think it will make a little bit of a difference.

Vuze

Whats the best way to get that update and patch my CEMU version of the game?
MapleTree. It will automatically create the correct folder structure and also allows you to download the patch straight from Nintendos CDN (which it will then decrypt so Cemu can use it). I think it doesn't remove the encrypted update files though, so you'll have to do that manually to save some space. https://github.com/Tsume/Maple-Tree/

Tizoc

Wait ttt2 was on wii u, i forgot about that
Barrong an actual steam release, i can play that ver via my laptop and sell off my ps3 copy

Top Bottom