• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

Im quite ignorant on this but why and how hard is it to change something like that?

Changing source code is a long, arduous process for something like that. There isn't much payoff to the effort put in. Take a game like Ocarina of Time as an example; the n64 version game logic is locked to 20 fps, and in all the years that emulation and rom hacking has been possible nobody has put in the effort to create a mod that makes the logic compatible with higher framerates. It's just way too much work. It would mean entire rewrites of the games systems at times in a worst case scenario.

Which is why people are holding out hope that BoTW has no (or very few) game logic elements that are tied to the framerate, which makes higher framerates (without affecting that game's overall speed) possible within emulation.

jett

D-Member
On the 60fps front never say never. I don't understand how Mario Sunshine was hacked into flawlessly running at 60fps on Dolphin, but there it is.

On the 60fps front never say never. I don't understand how Mario Sunshine was hacked into flawlessly running at 60fps on Dolphin, but there it is.

Apparently it was originally meant to run at that framerate. People have loaded gecko codes on actual gamecube hardware to test it and apparently it runs flawlessly. So Sunshine might be a freak isolated case.

Also, (to sorta add on to what I was saying before) tieing game logic to framerate was a more widespread practice with older consoles because they weren't as powerful. So there are very few variable framerate games from older systems. Pretty much one of the only ones I can think of is Goldeneye 64, and even a form of v-sync had to be hacked out in order to get that to run at a higher framerate on emulators.

So it wouldn't be unreasonable to hope that newer games can have those framerate caps removed.

I can not believe that capping to 10 FPS with 2.3x speedhack would feel good to play but... the comments seem mostly positive.

I'll have to try that when I get home later. Wish I saw it last night :(

EDIT: Had a friend of mine try it. Said the framepacing is way worse with this method. Huh.

I can not believe that capping to 10 FPS with 2.3x speedhack would feel good to play but... the comments seem mostly positive.

I'll have to try that when I get home later. Wish I saw it last night :(

EDIT: Had a friend of mine try it. Said the framepacing is way worse with this method. Huh.

Like I posted above the Cryonis rune is broken in the overworld so it isn't really playable yet. I'd just wait for them to fix the bugs, otherwise who knows what other problems you might run into.

mcmmaster

Is Wonderful 101 being worked on? It says here that it's currently unplayable, but is there word on whether they're working to make it playable?

Imagining that game in 1080p at 60 fps is amazing.

I second this! It was able to boot for some in 1.7.3 though a lot of people and myself included couldn't get past a black screen on boot-up. I imagine seeing as their are no videos uploaded of it in 1.7.4 that their possibly is no improvements, or it's just a sleeper getting overlooked as it was on Wii U. A shame if the latter because it's personally my favourite action game by Kamiya.

Anyone willing to try it out in 1.7.4 for improvements or is everyone too busy getting wet over BOTW. I don't blame you if you are because the screens in here are gorgeous.

pestul

Like I posted above the Cryonis rune is broken in the overworld so it isn't really playable yet. I'd just wait for them to fix the bugs, otherwise who knows what other problems you might run into.
Yeah, there's still the odd hard crash and broken elements to the game but goddamn have they made huge strides so quickly. I have a feeling that the next release will be *almost* completely playable. I think they should focus on the bugs and then worry about ironing out the framerate issues later.

pestul

I'm still enjoying my playthrough on Wii U at 57hrs in, but I have a feeling that by couple of releases from now I'll be using Saviine and switching over to playing on SteamLink downsampled from 4k or higher.

I know most analysis of the latest patch has said that the game isn't any better on Wii U, but subjectively it does feel smoother in several places to me.

tensuke

Cryonis works fine in the overworld, it's just that there's something making the game lock up for some reason randomly. Strangely enough, when it dips down to <1fps, if you spam + the menu will pop up at full framerate, and you just have to save/load and it'll be back to normal. I haven't seen any freezes (heh) with cryonis.

pestul

The only Cryonis glitch I've had was in the first shrine where you receive it. It locked the camera perspective when I was trying to lift the gate and it wouldn't come out of it. I've just had a couple of random crashes in the overworld that I can't really isolate what caused them.

mario_O

cemu2017-04-0519-43-0qgp8m.png

famfrit

BOTW MEGATHREAD
Zelda FPS Guide

That has pretty much everything.

-In 1.7.4 you can use disableGPUfence via the editing the correct file in your Gameprofiles folder under CEMU. Locate the one that corresponds to your game: USA is 00050000101c9400, for EU 00050000101c9500, and for JPN 00050000101C9300.

Open it up and add this to it:
Code:
[CPU]
emulateSinglePrecision = true

[Graphics]
disableGPUFence = true

This should give you a big performance boost. You could also just enable the Cemuhook HACK, which is under Options once CEMUHook is installed.
-Make sure you get cemuhook, mainly to enable pre-rendered cut-scene playback
-Links to precompiled shaders, they are region specific but that can be fixed by simply changing the filename. Install by deleting your shader cache from transferable folder and precompiled folder, insert the new shader cache into the transferable folder with the same filename as your old Zelda cache... ie, mine was dcac9927.bin
-After loading up CEMU, go to OPTIONS, GPU Buffer Accuracy... set that to Low.
-You can use Graphics packs to make it higher resolution and to tweak graphics. Links for Graphic Packs and how to install them (shove them in the graphics pack folder). There are standard packs you can find on that page, then some tweaked out ones here.
-Use the Nvidia Control Panel settings in there if you have Nvidia. If you have AMD, sorry.
-Changing your CPU Core affinity might help. While your at it, raising the priority might as well. This is all at your own risk.
-A Graphics Pack Durante linked to, to disable Post Process AA that gets funky when you play at higher resolution.
-Using RivaTuner to cap CEMU framerate to 30fps is helpful.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. The biggest ones are the GPUfence tweak, CEMUhook and Shader Profiles. Hope that's helpful, any questions feel free to PM and I'll try and point you in the right direction.

Thanks !

Better these guys than Moriarty, IMO.

But yeah, it's making great progress and Whew at some of the shots in here.

If SEGA won't port Bayo 2 to PC I might just have to be content with the Emu for a solid experience over my Wii U copy.

Grassy

Cryonis works fine in the overworld, it's just that there's something making the game lock up for some reason randomly. Strangely enough, when it dips down to <1fps, if you spam + the menu will pop up at full framerate, and you just have to save/load and it'll be back to normal. I haven't seen any freezes (heh) with cryonis.

Yeah that's the only major issue I'm having, the GPU usage dropping to 0%. I just made it to E
ventide
I
sland
, where you can't save the game, which has killed my progress as it will crash within 5-10 minutes there. I've tried not using any graphic packs etc. but nothing seems to help. It sucks because I played for 4 hours straight before getting there, but on the whole it's running far better than I would have imagined already. I'm at about 17 hours played so far on CEMU and I'm loving it.

I've just ordered an Alienware 15 i7 6700, GTX 1070, what sort of performance can I expect? I'm comfortable with emulation up to PCSX2/Dolphin, haven't really tried anything past that.

Could it be that Cemu 1.7.3d introduced some audio-issues that weren't present earlier? I noticed in Mario Kart 8 that sound-effects are often too loud, sometimes distorted and the music doesn't switch to "underwater-mode", most notable in Dolphin Shoals.

Mifec

Yeah that's the only major issue I'm having, the GPU usage dropping to 0%. I just made it to E
ventide
I
sland
, where you can't save the game, which has killed my progress as it will crash within 5-10 minutes there. I've tried not using any graphic packs etc. but nothing seems to help. It sucks because I played for 4 hours straight before getting there, but on the whole it's running far better than I would have imagined already. I'm at about 17 hours played so far on CEMU and I'm loving it.

Ya it locks up to like 0.20fps for me when I pick up the first orb. Tried it multiple times.

Also the Shrine right under the divine beast in the Zora domain crashes my emulator when I come near it, every time.

jediyoshi

Im quite ignorant on this but why and how hard is it to change something like that?

Depends on the game, I imagine physics being a big part botw probably complicates it. Otherwise it seems to be more tedious than difficult, they're having to go through every single action in the game and modify them.

It's 2017 and no one's completely hacked TP/WW into 60fps. There's a single person currently making a 60fps hack for GC WW that also put work into GC TP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU6dR41k8qU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjCV0MawP_c

Apparently it was originally meant to run at that framerate. People have loaded gecko codes on actual gamecube hardware to test it and apparently it runs flawlessly. So Sunshine might be a freak isolated case.
Sunshine ran at 60fps right up until release. One level had a lot of dips so they half-assed it and just halved the frame rate. I want to say it was the beach level (with those weird duck things) and the giant mirrors were the culprit. Don't quote me on that though, this is from memory. Every E3 and preview build was 60fps so the entire game was built around 60fps and the hack was probably just a matter of finding the trigger for 60fps or something. Probably not that simple but the code was already there somewhere is what I'm saying.

Anyway... I am loving Zelda on my Switch but I've got a 1070 though I don't think I could deal with all the WIP glitchiness. And the game is too good to put on hold, even for 4k and AA. Those pics posted are gorgeous. Anyone seen videos in a similar style?

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
These BOTW screenshots look great. Question for CEMU users:

1. Is BOTW playable on Cemu? From start to finish as if you are playing on Wii U, or is this more a push for increased visual fidelity?
2. How's the FPS difference between CEMU on a decently powered computer (GTX 980) vs. Wii U?
3. Wii U version is 720p right? So the jump to 4k must be huge I assume?

BadAss2961

Sunshine ran at 60fps right up until release. One level had a lot of dips so they half-assed it and just halved the frame rate. I want to say it was the beach level (with those weird duck things) and the giant mirrors were the culprit. Don't quote me on that though, this is from memory. Every E3 and preview build was 60fps so the entire game was built around 60fps and the hack was probably just a matter of finding the trigger for 60fps or something. Probably not that simple but the code was already there somewhere is what I'm saying.
Makes sense if it was built to handle 60fps. A game should do fine running at that framerate unless its logic and physics are tied to 30fps, in which case running at 60 would break things and increase game speed.

Drain You

Patreon at 40,006. Absolutely amazing, both that they are getting that much and the great work that they are doing. Good for them. Can't wait till a upgrade my PC in a couple years with a CPU able to run this up to snuff. Barely ever bough any WiiU games besides ZombieU and Zelda but I can't wait to replay em. Also if Pikmin 3 had a left handed mode I would have also picked that up but nooo, still a little peeved about that.

Nyoro SF

40k, my god... I sincerely hope by the time the Hard Mode DLC hits, that I can transfer everything to CEMU and do a fine uprezzed playthrough.

Ritzboof

just pledged tonight and got the game running. the emulation is definitely far from perfect yet, but the cemu hook, speed hack, rivatuner and whatnot make the game quite playable as far as i can tell (i only got up to the first tower for tonight, just to make sure it was running well)

im running a modest potato:
i7-4790k 4,00GHz
16GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 960

without the speed hack (game runs at 2.3x speed at 10fps), the game likes to cap at 20fps. hopefully well get around that soon. i have a lot of faith in the cemu fellows, they should be getting enough money at this point to transcend their human bodies and make the best emulator known to us

the game likes to lock up for a good moment every now and then when i hit shit, though. is that still par for the course? i can understand this during explosions, but yknow, itd suck trying to play through with the game struggling to keep up every few whacks. it seems like the speed hack fixes this for whatever reason, but i havent played long enough to be sure

just pledged tonight and got the game running. the emulation is definitely far from perfect yet, but the cemu hook, speed hack, rivatuner and whatnot make the game quite playable as far as i can tell (i only got up to the first tower for tonight, just to make sure it was running well)

im running a modest potato:
i7-4790k 4,00GHz
16GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 960

without the speed hack (game runs at 2.3x speed at 10fps), the game likes to cap at 20fps. hopefully well get around that soon. i have a lot of faith in the cemu fellows, they should be getting enough money at this point to transcend their human bodies and make the best emulator known to us

the game likes to lock up for a good moment every now and then when i hit shit, though. is that still par for the course? i can understand this during explosions, but yknow, itd suck trying to play through with the game struggling to keep up every few whacks. it seems like the speed hack fixes this for whatever reason, but i havent played long enough to be sure

That's probs the shader cache building up? I know any time I was running into something new, CEMU would chug.

tensuke

These BOTW screenshots look great. Question for CEMU users:

1. Is BOTW playable on Cemu? From start to finish as if you are playing on Wii U, or is this more a push for increased visual fidelity?
2. How's the FPS difference between CEMU on a decently powered computer (GTX 980) vs. Wii U?
3. Wii U version is 720p right? So the jump to 4k must be huge I assume?

1. Playable, yes. I don't think there's anything that stops you from completing the game. The biggest issues (afaik) right now are:

-Random slowdowns, where the game drops below 1fps and gets stuck there. Fixed by holding + to open the menu (which does not slow down), then saving/reloading. Doesn't happen for everyone, and doesn't happen regularly, so if you're patient it's not the biggest deal.
-Framerate. Using cemuhook/gpufence option, a lot of people get fps between 20 and 30, which is somewhat the same as Wii U, even in 4K. However, it's spec dependent, so YMMV. I'm typically 25-30fps, which I have no issue with.
-Camera rune/thumbnail saving. Taking pictures with the slate does recognize what you're taking a picture of, but in the gallery the thumbnails are all blank (same with the load screen). Doesn't really affect gameplay as far as I'm aware, just a visual bug.
-Prerendered cutscenes. By default in cemu they won't play correctly, but they work if you use cemuhook, which is just a dll you stick in the cemu folder. Because of this they're not really an issue, but thought I'd mention it.

For me, the only issue that really bothers me is the random crashes, although those didn't appear in the last cemu version as often, so maybe they will be fixed soon. Fingers crossed.

2. For performance, cpu matters way more than gpu. Increased resolutions don't require much power either. Like I said before, YMMV depending on cpu, but if you have a decent intel cpu (or ryzen) at 3.5GHz+ you can see 20-30fps most of the time (with disablegpufence option enabled). In general it's a bit smoother on Wii U, but for the most part comparable to PC.

3. Yes, it looks much better on PC with graphics packs (and ppAA removed/forced AA). The visual difference is honestly completely worth all the trouble IMO.

Grassy

Ya it locks up to like 0.20fps for me when I pick up the first orb. Tried it multiple times.

Also the Shrine right under the divine beast in the Zora domain crashes my emulator when I come near it, every time.

You managed to fix it? I saw your post on Reddit, I'm going to try it now.

Top Bottom