• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu, World's First Wii U Emulator, Suddenly Released

Oxn

Looks amazing.

Hopefully in a year or 2 when its optimized even more, my 3770K will still handle it.

tesqui

Pretty funny that our first exposure to Bayonetta on a PC is a Wii U emulator. Would have never thought that haha.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Cemu 1.5.5 is now out publicly.

Download: http://cemu.info/index.html#download

Changelog:
# CEMU detailed changelog for 1.5.5
# Patreon release date: 2016-08-08
# Public release data: 2016-08-15

# New in public release

general: Added crash logging (In case of crash, CEMU will log information to 'crashlog.txt')
general: Undid change to hide cursor in fullscreen (Better solution is in the works)

# Patreon release

general: Added game profiles (text files that store settings per-game)
general: Added automatic region detection
general: Mouse cursor is now hidden in fullscreen mode
general: Added hotkey (Ctrl + Tab) to toggle between TV or GamePad display. (Note: This is only a temporary solution until we have better GamePad handling)
general: CEMU will now display game name and region in the titlebar.

coreinit: New API: OSInitSemaphoreEx(), FSWriteFileAsync()

h264: Improved implementation of H264DECMemoryRequirement()

CPU: Added RLWNM., PS_RSQRTE, PS_RES, PS_NEG, STFSUX, MFTB/MFTBU, LSWI/STSWI and TW instructions to recompiler
CPU: Optimized code generated by recompiler for instructions RLWIMI, RLWINM
CPU: Added optimizer pass to recompiler (Removes redundant instructions)
CPU: Fixed a bug in interpreter MFTB/MFTBU

GX2: Fixed a deadlock that could happen when the game was waiting for an vsync event to occur
GX2: Added experimental setting 'Use persistent vertex buffers'.
If enabled, CEMU will attempt to use more recent OpenGL features to stream geometry data to the GPU.
Allows for higher throughput but may cause graphical issues.
GX2: Fixed a bug in GX2ConvertDepthBufferToTextureSurface() that could lead to a softlock
GX2: Improved Streamout emulation

nn_save: New API SAVEMakeDirAsync(), SAVERemoveAsync(), SAVEGetStatAsync(), SAVERenameAsync(), SAVEOpenDirOtherNormalApplicationAsync()
nn_save: Fixed a bug in SAVEGetStatOtherApplication()

jediyoshi

1.5.6 out for Patreon

# CEMU detailed changelog for 1.5.6
# Patreon release date: 2016-08-20

general: Fixed a bug where the crashlog and some other files were created in the wrong directory when launching a game from .rpx

CPU: Reduced RAM usage of recompiler

coreinit: Fixed a bug in OSSetPeriodicAlarm()

AX: Added API AXSetVoiceSrcType(), AXDecodeAdpcmData()
AX: Implemented sample rate converter for PCM16 format
AX: Implemented PCM8 format decoder and PCM8 sample rate converter
AX: Other small adjustments to improve overall sound quality

DMAE: Added API DMAEFillMem()

GX2: Added API GX2RDirectCallDisplayList()
GX2: Fixed a crash that could occur when an already running occlusion query was started.

Looks to be a smaller update, might not do a video for this. Notes say RAM usage up to 1.5gb lower, already seeing some more loading time improvements.

They're saying ideally 1.6.0 is up next as a milestone release.

Bayonetta 2 - performance improvement. chapter select crash fixed. lighting for the shop fixed. stuttery-ghosting continuing to get cleaned up.
Star Fox Guard - is now ingame again, able to run in recompiler.
Xenoblade Chronicles X - character dialogue audio now works.
Pikmin 3 - performance improvement
Splatoon
Mario Kart 8 - performance improvement
Super Mario 3D World - giant performance improvement for specific levels

Speevy

Banned
Is Nintendo the only company to have systems with emulators that were playable before the successor was released?

-shadow-

Well you always needed somewhat of a good rig, but having fans that know what they're doing and having documentation about the hardware helps a lot. There's a reason why the emulation of the original Xbox moves to terribly slow. People don't care, and the few people that do care have a lot of trouble because of the lack of documentation on the system. Well that and the fact Microsoft had a bajillion different models of the system.

jediyoshi

1.5.6 out for public
http://cemu.info/releases/cemu_1.5.6.zip

# CEMU detailed changelog for 1.5.6b
# Patreon release date: 2016-08-20
# Public release date: 2016-08-28

# New in 1.5.6b

general: Mouse cursor is no longer hidden in fullscreen (again)

# Public release date: 2016-08-28

# New in public release

general: Adjusted handling of command line parameters
It no longer suffices to just pass the path of a game to automatically launch it.
Instead, add the -g parameter. Example: cemu.exe -g C:\games\example.wud

---

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Super Smash Bros.
Nintendo Land
Bayonetta
Super Mario Maker

jediyoshi

Bits from Patreon. Planned news on 1.6.0 within the day. They're working with someone on creating a front end launcher (I'm guessing this will live separately from the current UI, not overhaul the current program).

---

1.6.0 update post
release planned in 2 weeks
improvements across the board
new compatibility, affordable space adventures

new texture cache, fixes bugged tilesets in super mario maker
fixes buggy/missing fonts in many games
fixed MK8 lighting on first load

Vuze

Patreon update on 1.6.0 (for reference, sharing media and discussing the paywalled posts is okay, just not reposting the entire entry)

Xenoblade Chronicles X
https://streamable.com/qah3

DKC Tropical Freeze
https://streamable.com/ns9y

The Swapper, several indie games working now
https://streamable.com/czhz

Yoshi's Woolley World
https://streamable.com/bc9c

MH3U & Hyrule Warriors still don't work
8uG5GaN.gif

Nice to see progress on Yoshi though!

jediyoshi

Where did you get the footage from if the Patreon build hasn't been released yet?

I was contacted with a build to create it ^^ It's funny, I'm not getting this question as much as I thought I would. Guessing people on YouTube assume these videos are official.

dsk1210

I was contacted with a build to create it ^^ It's funny, I'm not getting this question as much as I thought I would. Guessing people on YouTube assume these videos are official.

Excellent videos to see what has improved from version to version. Thanks.

I am hoping they will be able to add a resolution option at some point as 720p does not look that great on a 4k TV.

Vuze

Excellent videos to see what has improved from version to version. Thanks.

I am hoping they will be able to add a resolution option at some point as 720p does not look that great on a 4k TV.
Unless I'm misremembering, exzap said this would've to be done on a game-by-game basis on the WiiU; hence why it's way down in the priority list.

jediyoshi

1.6.0 out for Patreon
New texture cache/manager
Huge compatibility improvements
Graphic improvements
Audio improvements
Many all-around changes and bugfixes

Detailed changelog
http://cemu.info/patreon/changelog/cemu_1_6_0.txt

Nvidia users keep a copy of 1.5.6 for Mario Maker as the graphics are bugged

Already a lot faster than what I received. Would've featured Bayonetta 2 footage for the preview if it were like this.

Bayonetta 2 - Cutscenes run full speed, full screen effects work, textures fixed. Just occasional blown out bloom and incorrect DOF. Last big ingame bug is the stuttering/artifacting environment. Ingame loading of events has increased, loading times back to the main menu decreased.
Yoshi's Woolly World - Can usually hit stable full speed (60fps) ingame. Prone to crashing interacting with specific objects. Might have the worst shader generation times I've seen so far, so first runs will be a nightmare.
Xenoblade Chronicles X - World timer and some lighting issues fixed.
Project Zero
DKC Tropical Freeze - Fonts fixed, performance seems to in limbo.
Batman Arkham City - Unreal Engine 3 games got a compatibility bump. Disable audio to increase performance, reenable it to allow a next sequence to load
Tokyo Mirage Sessions reaches ingame, good framerate aside from corrupted graphics. gamepad displays perfectly.
Super Smash Bros.
Pikmin 3 - slight performance bump, bugged world lighting
Wind Waker HD - black flickering on characters gone. last big visual bugs are missing fog and bugged shadows
Twilight Princess HD
Splatoon - missing some specular effects along with Mario Kart 8. specific enemy still causes game to crash. performance improved in inkopolis.
Mario Kart 8

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 can run the customization room, characters don't render

Pokken reaches title screen

jediyoshi

Patreon update
1.6.1 releases 10/8

Amiibo support. Basic read only support, Amiibos won't be packaged for obvious reasons. Loaded via file. Recommend N2 device for dumping.

Lot of optimization talk, specifically improvements to vertex cache option.

Missing speculars might be addressed.

No compatibility improvements.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Hopefully Amiibo support doesn't bring any legal headaches. I know Activision has been pretty aggressive in the past with dealing with Skylanders reverse engineering.

roytheone

Patreon update
1.6.1 releases 10/8

Amiibo support. Basic read only support, Amiibos won't be packaged for obvious reasons. Loaded via file. Recommend N2 device for dumping.

Lot of optimization talk, specifically improvements to vertex cache option.

Missing speculars might be addressed.

No compatibility improvements.

Nice! I was wondering when they would do some more optimization. I know they have a compatibility first, then optimization, then features plan, but after 1.6.0 I would say compatibility is pretty great now!

Maybe with these optimizations I would be able to reach more then 20 fps in the world 2 castle in 3D world, for some reason that level runs like dogshit while the rest of the game runs pretty good :(

jediyoshi

1.6.1 Patreon
New universal GPU buffer cache (previously known as vertex cache)
NFC (Amiibo) support
Small graphic improvements
Minor changes and bugfixes
Detailed

Here's how the new Debug looks
ccfC9Lu.png

Super Mario Maker displays properly on Nvidia again
Captain Toad, screen artifacting gone, shadows mostly work perfect. strangely they're still somewhat broken in SM3DW even though I'm guessing they share tech.
Mario Kart 8, speculars fixed, performance increase
Splatoon, speculars fixed, major graphic bug on first load of levels (fixed reloading into it)
Star Fox Zero, performance increase, still has the stuttering on regular intervals
Yoshi's Woolly World, performance increase, still has huge loading/shader gen times
DKC Tropical Freeze, less levels work but working levels are much more framerate stable and most graphical glitches cleaned up
Pikmin 3, performance increase, can handle many scenes at full speed now, starts dipping at around 80 pikmin
Xenoblade Chronicles X, performance increase, regularly stays in double digit fps ingame, fully animated cutscenes can hit full speed
Tokyo Mirage Sessions, falls back to opening movie compatibility
New Super Mario Bros U, jittery/flickering graphics fixed
Tekken Tag Tournament 2, ingame can run full speed, no characters displaying, some corrupted environment textures
Super Mario 3D World, disappearing geometry on stage clear fixed
Bayonetta 2, ingame loading of events seems sped up, couldn't find noticeable example of performance increase

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The game crashes up to a certain sequence early on, otherwise there's nothing critical I notice. Framerate is still mostly not great and the lighting/sky still could use fixing.

Thanks. I'm tempted to give it a try, but I need first to homebrew my Wii U to dump it.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Cemu 1.6.1 is now out publicly.

Download: http://cemu.info/index.html#download

Changelog:
# CEMU detailed changelog for 1.6.1
# Patreon release date: 2016-10-08
# Public release date: 2016-10-15

general: Fixed a bug where files would be created in/loaded from the wrong directory after the load file dialog.

NFP: Added initial NFC support
Scanning NFC tags works by loading a file via the menu

GX2: New universal cache implementation for attribute, uniform and index data
Additionally, there is now a cache accuracy option to control the level of accuracy vs performance. Can be changed while a game is already running.
The previously added cache control options where removed as they have become obsolete

GX2: Further improved and optimized handling of textures with overlapping memory regions
GX2: Optimized detection of changes to texture data
GX2: Adjusted the idle loop of the GPU7 command processor thread to respond quicker to new data
GX2: Fixed a crash that could occur if GL shaders failed to compile
GX2: Moved handling of alpha test into shader code (rather than relying on OpenGL's deprecated hw alpha test)
GX2: Fixed a bug where the swizzle value of a texture would not be correctly updated when an already cached texture was reloaded

roytheone

This update fixed an issue for me where certain levels of 3D world were locked at 30 fps for some reason! Also, the second level of tropical freeze runs way better then before, I now get around 55 fps with gpu buffer on fast, while I got 35-40 on 1.6.0.

Seik

Banned
So I tinkled a lot with 1.6.1 this week-end, my first time around the emulator.

Ripping my games was an easy process after having it done at least once, though it's a very long process, depending on the size of your game.

The good:

-Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 blew my mind, they actually run pretty good and mostly run @60FPS, this made me think that Wii U emulation was far more ahead than what I thought at first and we're only one year in development!

-It was pretty easy setting up a controller!

The 'bad':

-No graphical options, though I can understand that stability comes first. I can't wait to see many of these games with boosted Internal Resolutions. Considering I already have a Wii U, it's still better playing on the OG hardware so far.

-Except SM3DW and MK8, pretty much all the other games I tested crashed post title screen or just ran pretty slow or with a lots of bugs (NSMBU, NSLU, Captain Toad, Bayo 1-2)

Great first impression though, I can't wait to see where the emulator will be in the same time next year. I'm heavily considering going on Patreon to support them.

roytheone

So I tinkled a lot with 1.6.1 this week-end, my first time around the emulator.

Ripping my games was an easy process after having it done at least once, though it's a very long process, depending on the size of your game.

The good:

-Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 blew my mind, they actually run pretty good and mostly run @60FPS, this made me think that Wii U emulation was far more ahead than what I thought at first and we're only one year in development!

-It was pretty easy setting up a controller!

The 'bad':

-No graphical options, though I can understand that stability comes first. I can't wait to see many of these games with boosted Internal Resolutions. Considering I already have a Wii U, it's still better playing on the OG hardware so far.

-Except SM3DW and MK8, pretty much all the other games I tested crashed post title screen or just ran pretty slow or with a lots of bugs (NSMBU, NSLU, Captain Toad, Bayo 1-2)

Great first impression though, I can't wait to see where the emulator will be in the same time next year. I'm heavily considering going on Patreon to support them.

You can get passed the nsmbu crash by downloading and replacing some files. It basically runs perfectly if you do that.

jediyoshi

Patreon update
1.6.2 releases October 29 for Patrons
'Streamout' improved (Wii U GPU feature), going from software emulated to GPU accelerated. Games that have a speed boost when using Disable Streamout because it was inefficient should be faster normally now (XCX, Smash, DKC, etc). Fixes some bugs as a result, XCX grass now working http://i.imgur.com/3GoFBuY.png

Better Amiibo support
Maybe better compatibility/audio

More talk about the future. Chance that "MSAA/Antialiasing, Tesselation, Conditional Render Queries" get implemented this year.

--

Off the top of my head, Yoshi's Woolly World and Wind Waker are other games that rely on Streamout whereas I don't believe the Bayonetta games do much at all. Nice to see big performance updates back to back.

Top Bottom