• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu, World's First Wii U Emulator, Suddenly Released

DonMigs85

This is pretty cool, but the Wii U needed it less than the Wii to be honest.
Still, I hope it progresses rapidly. Ironic too that they didn't test it on AMD GPUs.

Pizza

I'm very interested to see what comes of this!

I'd love to play Mario 3D world through again

maybe in eight years we'll be modding smash 4 💕

Rich!

I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

They don't. But like the Wii and GC, you can already dump your own games using the console itself. I only have one physical title (Yoshi Wooly World) as I'm entirely digital on the Wii U but I should be able to dump it fine to my PC.

Hektor

Didnt expected that to happen so soon. Great news. But shouldnt it be called Cem U?

Your probably need a 3000$ PC to be able to run this right?

You also need to upgrade every year, drivers, viruses etc.

Now people doesnt have to buy a wii u for Zelda

Is that still going to be a Wii U game? Last time i checked most people assumed its going to be an NX game. But im not up to date with nintennews tho.

DonMigs85

Didnt expected that to happen so soon. Great news. But shouldnt it be called Cem U?

You also need to upgrade every year, drivers, viruses etc.

Is that still going to be a Wii U game? Last time i checked most people assumed its going to be an NX game. But im not up to date with nintennews tho.

They'd piss off a lot of Wii U owners, so maybe it'll be like when Twilight Princess was released on both GCN and Wii.

Is this actually farther along than 360 emulation?

That just crazy.

Will still probably take two years to get to an acceptable state. Though I had assumed it would be five years away.

Pokemaniac

I see we have a poster who lacks reading comprehension in this thread.

He's right.

Nintendo may support it somehow, but the Wii U has far more to work around than any previous Nintendo console in terms of BC.

Firstly, they need a replacement or alternative for the gamepad. Issue is that they aren't sold separately. That's a big one.

If Nintendo wants to have Wii U BC they will make sure that there is a GamePad style controller available for their next console. They could even use the handheld for that purpose if they want. Treating the GamePad as some massive obstacle to BC doesn't really make sense when there are so many relatively easy solutions to the problem. I suspect getting the games running in an emulator at full speed would be the bigger hurdle.

Also, just because they aren't sold separately now doesn't mean they never will. If Nintendo desired, they could start selling them separately any time they want. It just doesn't make sense to do that right now since there isn't any real reason you'd need to buy a second one outside of repairs.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
They don't. But like the Wii and GC, you can already dump your own games using the console itself. I only have one physical title (Yoshi Wooly World) as I'm entirely digital on the Wii U but I should be able to dump it fine to my PC.
Thanks Rich.

Is dumping digital title possible?

Wow unexpected. I was actually expecting the Dolphin devs to make a WIi U emulator inside Dolphin for the very first Wii U emulator.

Uh, to be fair, Dolphin packing Gamecube and Wii together wasn't exactly a Herculean feat when the Wii's hardware architecture was the solution to the mountain of unused Gamecube hardware laying around.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Holy shit.

The source is now online on Github. Seems like they started working on it only in May?

Are you sure you're looking at the right project? There is another in-development Wii U emulator on GitHub but it hasn't managed to run any games yet.

Durante

Are you sure you're looking at the right project? There is another in-development Wii U emulator on GitHub but it hasn't managed to run any games yet.
I was actually looking at the wrong project. No idea how that happened. Probably following some links and with my mental cache polluted in such a way that I didn't even consider the possibility that it wasn't this.

The source is under Releases-tab, not in the repo itself:

https://github.com/Exzap/Cemu/releases
No, those are just the same readme files as in the repo.

I was actually looking at the wrong project. No idea how that happened. Probably following some links and with my mental cache polluted in such a way that I didn't even consider the possibility that it wasn't this.

No, those are just the same readme files as in the repo.

Oh, I didn't actually load the sauce myself either :p

I was confused about the other emulator too

Oregano

Which would be exactly why such BC is unlikely.

I wouldn't be shocked if they have a new Gamepad, but I assume they'll reuse as many parts from their next handheld. The Wii U gamepad would be cheaper if they reused 3DS screens but they were just too low res.

Of course that's just my take.

EDIT: Eh this is kind of off topic though.

Blizzard

Banned
Could this be DMCA takedown'd if they are including encryption/decryption keys, or did that sort of thing get shot down years ago?

Zenaku

Wonderful. I bought the Xenoblade X Wii U bundle despite owning a Wii U already, and I just took it out of the box for the first time to hook it up and check, only to find those sweet numbers, 5, 3, and 2 in the corner of the settings screen.

Now the dilemma... Do I open my sealed limited edition copy of X that came with the bundle, or buy a new copy to open and rip the game? No way of backing up my digital copy.

Good start.

Dolphin has set such a high bar for emulation that it's no surprise seeing it inspire an arms race among devs to nail the next one. Between this and the progress being made on 360/PS3 emulators, within 5 years there'll be some amazing stuff happening.

Then we'll get into PS4/XBone, which should be easy as they are just half baked x86 PCs!

impact

Banned
Nice. By the time Zelda U comes out this thing will probably be in an optimized, functional state. I love emulators.

Parfait

KvOUzDW.gif

The prophecy has been fufilled

Vuze

Well that came out of nowhere, huh? Damnnnn. I'll give it a shot. Emulator scene is booming, 360, 3DS, Xbox all coming along pretty nicely.
ps4nextpls

Vuze

Eh too bad, the only games I have dumped (MH3U & YWW) just crash eventually without showing anything (MH3U) or only one texture (YWW). Will closely follow this project however!

Top Bottom