• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFA response to anti-gay alleg. "Guilty as charged." Do NOT gloat about eating at CFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

MVP

Banned
Who said anything about taking his freedoms away? Where's the disconnect? This thread is about informing people about where the money goes after they buy that chicken. No one is trying to limit Chic-Fil-A's speech, even if it is vile.

Simple question: If they were donating money to the KKK, would we still be having this discussion?

No, because that's an organization that used to kill minorities, and that Marriage and Family organization I assume does not, and simply shares an opinion you don't like.

That's cool, fight the power and all that, and like someone said, the wheels are already in motion, I'm glad all these barriers are getting torn down, I just finished seeing a piece on The Daily Show recording I had and then I saw this thread and decided to see what the fuss was about. Just two sets of people disagreeing, no biggie.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Oh ok, so you guys don't really believe he did anything wrong, and you simply want to complain and voice your equally valid and opposing opinions. That's fine. There's no controversy here, then. You guys disagree with someone. Cool.

Again, what the fuck are you talking about? What constitutes "controversy" for you? He didn't do anything LEGALLY wrong, but yes we believe he did something wrong.

It's not really an assumption. It's pretty obvious what the general viewpoint on religion here is.
What does religion have to do with this in the big picture, though? We're disappointed in the founder's comments and donations related to ostracizing and limiting the freedoms of gay people, not the fact that he's religious. Everyone has known Chick-fil-a was a religious company since they're closed on Sundays.

The other big assumption is that the anti-religion people here have "blind hatred." That's ridiculous.

Alrus

No, because that's an organization that used to kill minorities, and that Marriage and Family organization I assume does not, and simply shares an opinion you don't like.

It's not a problem of opinions, these organisations are actively working to deprave people of rights they should have.

ZoddGutts

I understand the reasoning behind it.

But I feel for all of the Chick-fil-A employees who have done nothing wrong who are going to get harassed beyond belief tomorrow.

This. Chick-fil-A is a franchise. Your hurting the people who work at and own a Chick-fil-A franchise who don't sure that same opinion of the head corporate guys. Sucks to be them.

No, because that's an organization that used to kill minorities, and that Marriage and Family organization I assume does not, and simply shares an opinion you don't like..
Actively trying to stop homosexuals from have the rights due to them is not "simply sharing an opinion you don't like".

KtSlime

This. Chick-fil-A is a franchise. Your hurting the people who work at and own a Chick-fil-A franchise who don't sure that same opinion of the head corporate guys. Sucks to be them.

Then they can join in and plead with corporate to stop funding these anti-gay organizations. Win-win.

So just because there are employees involved we should still give money knowing where some of it will end up? This won't hurt them anyway. There are enough people who don't care.

They chose to work for an organization that is admittedly "Christian."

A shame they didn't think that one through a bit further.

MVP

Banned
It's not a problem of opinions, these organisations are actively working to deprave people of rights they should have.

Actively trying to stop homosexuals from have the rights due to them is not "simply sharing an opinion you don't like".

From what I read, the organizations simply promote an opinion you guys don't agree with. If they are actually trying to stop gay marriage from being legalized or denying people their rights, then that's another story.

Orayn

If they are actually trying to stop gay marriage from being legalized or denying people their rights, then that's another story.

You'd have to be incredibly dense to think they aren't. Limiting gay rights is an implicit part of the agenda of nearly every "family values" organization out there.

Alrus

From what I read, the organizations simply promote an opinion you guys don't agree with. If they are actually trying to stop gay marriage from being legalized or denying people their rights, then that's another story.

You know what lobbying is right?

Cyan

Banned

"An opinion," exactly. Like the KKK.

Sounds like you're making a generalization about people making generalizations about religion.

Not really. It's like I'm saying "Most of the people at Lucas Oil Stadium are Colts fans" and you claiming I am generalizing. Anyone who reads threads on this site where religion is the topic or part of a topic know that most posts are from people who are anti-religious or at the very least dislike religion.

What does religion have to do with this in the big picture, though? We're disappointed in the founder's comments and donations related to ostracizing and limiting the freedoms of gay people, not the fact that he's religious. Everyone has known Chick-fil-a was a religious company since they're closed on Sundays.

The other big assumption is that the anti-religion people here have "blind hatred." That's ridiculous.

I don't think that it is ridiculous at all to say a lot of anti-religious people on here have a blind hatred toward it. Again, this is from my experience on here and maybe I have just somehow missed all of the positive and accepting posts towards religion, but more often than not it is people throwing a quick insulting comment.

You can be disappointed in the founder's comments. That's fine. But the hypocrisy comes in when people refuse to acknowledge any argument that can be seen as defending religion, even if a valid point is brought up. It's that very ignorance that a lot of people supposedly hate about religious folk.

FyreWulff

They are actively attempting to stop gay marriage and remove the few rights they've been able to obtain so far.

MVP

Banned
You'd have to be incredibly dense to assume they aren't. It's an implicit part of the agenda of nearly every "family values" organization out there.

Not necessarily. I disagree with every single one of the religious or "family values" organizations, but as long as they don't interfere with the natural progression of humanity, then I don't really care.

Eusis

They do that by trying to be very loud/very persuasive with their opinions, lobbying and all that. That's the thing here really: I don't care if the president has those views so much as whether he acts on them or not, and these organizations at least make it a key focus to fight gay marriage, rather than simply go "no sir I don't like it!".

EDIT: And seriously, that post shown below shows why it's terrible: at least one of those groups doesn't simply want to bar marriage, they want to strip/prevent them from being protected from harassment. What the FUCK?

I don't think that it is ridiculous at all to say a lot of anti-religious people on here have a blind hatred toward it. Again, this is from my experience on here and maybe I have just somehow missed all of the positive and accepting posts towards religion, but more often than not it is people throwing a quick insulting comment.
So a person has blind hatred if they drop a quick insulting comment rather than typing out their valid reasons over and over in every relevant topic?

It's like you're suggesting we write "I agree with Obama here because..." and "I disagree with Romney here because..." every time we ever talk about them.

Not really. It's like I'm saying "Most of the people at Lucas Oil Stadium are Colts fans" and you claiming I am generalizing. Anyone who reads threads on this site where religion is the topic or part of a topic know that most posts are from people who are anti-religious or at the very least dislike religion.

You can be disappointed in the founder's comments. That's fine. But the hypocrisy comes in when people refuse to acknowledge any argument that can be seen as defending religion, even if a valid point is brought up. It's that very ignorance that a lot of people supposedly hate about religious folk.

No to the bolded.

Cyan

Banned

This is really nebulous. Concrete examples, go.

Lots of GAFers don't like irrational hatred of people who haven't done anything wrong. Some forms of religion happen to promote that.

I absolutely agree some religions promote that, but there are a lot of GAFers themselves that have an irrational hatred of others.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Not necessarily. I disagree with every single one of the religious or "family values" organizations, but as long as they don't interfere with the natural progression of humanity, then I don't really care.
But these organizations are trying to interfere with the progression of civil rights.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

I would say "What if they supported a group that didn't support interracial marriages?" but that's not the same because interracial couples can marry.

I just don't get "it'll work out anyway so what's the point"? It's still wrong.

You are stating that people responding in this thread hate religion. You are wrong for many posters (myself included).

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Then they can join in and plead with corporate to stop funding these anti-gay organizations. Win-win.

Now I don't think this is really fair. We cannot expect everyone to lose their jobs, possibly become homeless, etc everytime their boss does something stupid. That's not realistic.

The original argument is terrible though, unless I'm also hurting every single other restaurant when I go to CFA. It's a really disingenuous argument. The kind that comes from someone that really has no argument.

MVP

Banned
I would say "What if they supported a group that didn't support interracial marriages?" but that's not the same because interracial couples can marry.

I just don't get "it'll work out anyway so what's the point"? It's still wrong.

Well being in an interracial relationship, I can honestly say I wouldn't care. There are still organizations against minorities, interracial relationships, gays, women, etc. Hatred will always be around. Of course, I guess the fact that this organization lobbies against gay marriage does kind of impede the progress of freedom, so now I understand where the fuss is coming from.

Kusagari

The employees, I agree. But the owners should have known full well what they were getting into when they decided to franchise a company closed on Sundays.

Well being in an interracial relationship, I can honestly say I wouldn't care. There are still organizations against minorities, interracial relationships, gays, women, etc. Hatred will always be around. Of course, I guess the fact that this organization lobbies against gay marriage does kind of impede the progress of freedom, so now I understand where the fuss is coming from.

You wouldn't care, so you're showing off about your apathy. Good for you.

smurfx

get some go again
maybe next time you will read up on a topic before going into a thread and telling people you don't know what the big deal is.

MVP

Banned
You wouldn't care, so you're showing off about your apathy. Good for you.

No one's stopping me from doing what I want to do, so why try to be a superhero? I'm not going to go around looking for people/groups that disagree with anything I have to say and protest against them or boycott them, until it stops me from being able to do what I want to do. If I did, I'd be protesting for the rest of my life and would be miserable. I'm just glad I don't live in a 3rd world country where you get stoned for disagreeing with popular opinion. They have their opinions, I have mine, as long as they stay the fuck out of my way then I'm fine.

If these organizations are stopping gay people from getting married or are trying to, then by all means, protest all you want. If they simply share an opinion different from them but aren't affecting them in the slightest, then they should find better things to do.

If these organizations are stopping gay people from getting married or are trying to, then by all means, protest all you want. If they simply share an opinion different from them but aren't affecting them in the slightest, then they should find better things to do.

They are so why the fuck are you whining about people protesting in this topic?

sruckus

Not at all, but there is a very loud and vocal majority of people on here with atheist beliefs that are so angry/annoyed with religion that any argument presented that has the slightest sense of defending that side is met with ignorance.

I'm actually a Christian (well, a gay one, which to many isn't really one) and brought it up because when I think false equivalencies are being made for something important to me, I prefer to point them out.

No one's stopping me from doing what I want to do, so why try to be a superhero? I'm not going to go around looking for people/groups that disagree with anything I have to say and protest against them or boycott them, until it stops me from being able to do what I want to do. If I did, I'd be protesting for the rest of my life and would be miserable. I'm just glad I don't live in a 3rd world country where you get stoned for disagreeing with popular opinion. They have their opinions, I have mine, as long as they stay the fuck out of my way then I'm fine.

There's nothing "super hero" about getting your fried chicken elsewhere. They don't stay out of anyone's way or do you some how misunderstand funding anti-rights groups. There's a huge degree of difference between an opinion on gay marriage and funding continued efforts to restrict their rights.

FyreWulff

Empathy is the ability to care about someone that isn't in your exact situation. The "can't do everything, so do nothing" attitude is a hallmark of apathy and very defeatist.

It seems some people are more annoyed that people are choosing to not eat at CFA because of their bigoted views than the actual opinion itself, even after proclaiming they have no dog in the fight.

KtSlime

First they came... something something... and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I choose to be proactive in getting equal rights for all.

Gaborn

You don't care what CFA is doing, why do you care so much what the protesters are doing? You seem way too interested in criticizing people that are just exercising the exact same right CFA is exercising.

Edit: Let me say though, I'm not sure the boycott will be effective. I'm pretty sure in the long run it won't mean much. I also think the trend line is going to make CFA a much more regional and limited business if they keep pushing their view anyway. And yet if people want to try a boycott why not? Let them. I'm sure many people will support the boycott and many will oppose it. And in the end it will sort itself out.

You don't care what CFA is doing, why do you care so much what the protesters are doing? You seem way too interested in criticizing people that are just exercising the exact same right CFA is exercising.

He just came into to tell us how little he cares over the course of several posts. Wait.

MVP

Banned
Empathy is the ability to care about someone that isn't in your exact situation. The "can't do everything, so do nothing" attitude is a hallmark of apathy and very defeatist.

Oh I care, I just thought gay people's rights were progressing, with the DADT thing, the president publicly stating that he supports gay marriage, etc. so I didn't see what the problem was. That not every single human being on the planet agreed with gay marriage? That as the inevitable starts to happen and gay marriage starts becoming more and more accepted, there would still be some last remaining groups hanging on to their beliefs? Doesn't this always happen?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh god, a friend on Facebook shared what looked like a pro-Chik-Fil-A picture and when I clicked to make it bigger and check it out all the comments showed up...I noticed this gem:
Read the Bible people! Its NOT about hate! Don't be so rediculous and dramatic! Its about the law of God! U CHOOSE to follow it or u don't! Doesn't mean u HATE GAY people! Just means u don't agree they should be united becuz God didn't want it to be that way. They can do as they please and we love them as people just don't support their choice! Hate the sin. Love the sinner!

smurfx

get some go again
don't know why it makes people angry to see others being active and protesting things they don't like. kinda like how some people wanted OWS to fail miserably even though they agreed with their message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom