• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CGI scenes that used blow your mind and now look ugly compared to in-game graphics

Who needs CGI?

When I first played Kung-Fu for the NES I thought it was a playable cartoon and it couldn't get better than this.

Gif-Kung-Fu-NES.gif

Some great examples of amazing FMV's from back in the day, I remember being flawed by so many during the PS1 era. I do however remember the one form FF9 where Bahumut attacks the city and destroys Alexander (Been years since I played it so names might be off), it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen.

Kssio_Aug

When I was young I would keep making a new save file for KH1 just to see the CGI opening over and over. Blew me away back then and even today I don't consider it ugly at all.

It still is a great CGI, and still an awesome intro (the best one imho).

There are tons of better examples here already, but I'd have to go with MediEvil for my 7 year old self.

It hasn't aged well, but the art-style is still endearing to me. With the graphics and image quality of platformers coming out this gen, I think MediEvil's art-style would really shine if they stylized the game-play to look like a certain Henry Selick film.

Ethelwulf

There are tons of better examples here already, but I'd have to go with MediEvil for my 7 year old self.

It hasn't aged well, but the art-style is still endearing to me. With the graphics and image quality of platformers coming out this gen, I think MediEvil's art-style would really shine if they stylized the game-play to look like a certain Henry Selick film.

Yeah MediEvil intro was great. Looks rough nowadays. This is exactly the type of cutscenes I was referring to.

Top Bottom