• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Challenge #159 [Creative Writing]

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Keeping my story to 1000 words took some working, but I was able to make it 1000 even.
Here it is: My Story

Can somebody tell me the deadline for reading and voting for the submissions?

Ashes

Banned
Oops got pms to answer. Here is all you seek.

Since we're doing a minimalist thing, for one thread only:

[No Theme. To clarify, the theme isn't 'no'.]
[No Secondary]
[1000 words or under. Not one word over.]
[No titles for stories. Not even 'Untitled'.]
[Entry Deadline is strict. To the minute.]
[Voting deadline is strict. To the minute.]
[No critique.]
[On second thoughts, critiques are fine.]
[On third thoughts, only positive critiques. Highlight one thing you liked.]

That should weed out a lot of people. These are terrible rules for no god damned good reason, so I'm out. #rebel.

If you choose to rebel, the neogaffian gods be with you. You and your story is at the mercy of your fellow gaffers, because going by traditional ops, your story is ineligible to vote for and win.

But since I'm going on a hiatus, I don't know what judgement will befall you, so best play it safe.
Challenge #159 [Creative Writing]

So do note that a lot of the entries this week are ineligible. Really didn't think 'titles' would be the one that catches people out. Oh well.

Ashes

Banned
No take backsies.

Woops. Suppose I should had said that earlier. My bad.

#rebel

ward
mike m
azih
sober

Sober

Alright Ashes ...

xsuxiJ0.gif

#rebel

oxrock

Oops got pms to answer. Here is all you seek.

So do note that a lot of the entries this week are ineligible. Really didn't think 'titles' would be the one that catches people out. Oh well.

Is it the norm to not include the rules in the OP? Seems a bit shady to me. Glad I checked the previous thread regardless.

Nezumi

Is it the norm to not include the rules in the OP? Seems a bit shady to me. Glad I checked the previous thread regardless.

No, this thread is certainly not the norm...

So. Deadline to the minute means no grace periods at all, right?

oxrock

I'm not a regular in these threads, so I don't know the normal quality of work within, but I must say that I found some rather enjoyable pieces. I feel bad judging or critiquing all your hard work because i honestly don't feel qualified to do so. With that said, the following were the ones that resonated with me the strongest:

1)Nezumi
2)Cyan
3)Azih

I'm kind of wary being the first one to vote, but there's a good chance I'll forget to check back before the deadline and I'd like to make a decision while the entries are still fresh in my mind. Goodluck all!

Nezumi

Argh! Without titles it is really hard to keep track on who wrote which story...

Well anyway. Votes for now. Comments, maybe, tomorrow.

1.) Croll
2.) Cyan
3.) Chainsawkitten

HM: Mike M; Tangent; Ashes

My votes:

1. Sober
2. Ward
3. Tangent

I liked these, Sober's and Ward's were like the beginnings of full stand-alone stories, just primed and waiting to be fleshed-out. Tangent's was neat, seeing a 'snowflake x human life experiences' allusion. :eek:

gg

Tangent

Aw man, I just see the word count has been changed to a bazillion words, which means I unnecessary cut out about 400 words, including some phrases and sentences that I felt were important. Dangit! Oh well. I think it's good practice to trim, and keep things tight.

Wow I'm impressed that people have already read all the entries!

oxrock

Aw man, I just see the word count has been changed to a bazillion words, which means I unnecessary cut out about 400 words, including some phrases and sentences that I felt were important. Dangit! Oh well. I think it's good practice to trim, and keep things tight.

Wow I'm impressed that people have already read all the entries!

Yeah, first the rules weren't even posted in this thread and the rules we did have were quite strange. Then they're finally posted here but now they're completely different. I would of fleshed out my story more! ><

Mike M

Nick N
Yeah, first the rules weren't even posted in this thread and the rules we did have were quite strange. Then they're finally posted here but now they're completely different. I would of fleshed out my story more! ><

This is not the way things usually go.

I think Ashes was punishing us for crowning him the winner again : P

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
This is not the way things usually go.

I think Ashes was punishing us for crowning him the winner again : P

I don't know. I kind of like this. We should make all future challenges this weird and difficult to follow. Honestly, I think we should all get dice with bizarro rules and just use them for the rest of the year.

"Oops snake eyes, I guess everyone has to have a three paged sex scene somewhere"

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Some remarks

Karen- I appreciate the proper reverence you gave everything, justifies the characters need to learn more.

Ward-Great descriptions and you really sold me on the long drawn out fight

Rock and Roll - You gave each side enough time to really make the ending impactful

Cyan- I love the idea of aliens bringing poetry and art.

ChainsawKitten- Lol so I couldn't actually do your weird whatever because Mac. Seems super appropriate weirdly enough.

Mike M- You illustrated your thoughts and the frustration of not having a good idea well.

Azih- The despair in the beginning really helped your end twist work.

Oxrock- the colors were a good way to tie your stories beginning and end together.

Sober- I really like your use of colors and how subtle you were about what was happening.

Blargonaught- I didn't really understand it, but you have quite a few good lines through out.

Tangent- Surprised you put such good character into a snowflake. Also like the ending.

Croll- Love the idea of a killer's legacy being ruined by people thinking he's racist.

Nezumi- the use of chaotic fantasy imagery really sell the story from a child's eye without directly saying it's from a child's eye. Well done.

Ashes- I... wait what?

1. Croll
2. Nezumi
3. Sober

Some remarks

Blargonaught- I didn't really understand it, but you have quite a few good lines through out.

Thanks :eek: I actually had another piece lined up, but then I saw there was a 1000-word limit (before the bazillion edit, lol), so I just typed up some ambiguous Noir tidbit instead :eek:

LaMagenta

My Votes:
1. Rock and Roll – I have to say that this totally resonated with me, not from personal experience, but because I just watched a documentary about young adolescence serving life sentences. I listened to the convicts’ families talk, the convicts themselves, and of course the events that occurred. Some convicts had awful things happen to them as children and throughout their life, which led to them committing such a horrific crime. But there was one guy who had a pretty normal life, and still managed to let one event get out of control. The main issue at hand was, do we convict youth the same as adults. The death penalty was surely over the top for your character, but even a life sentence would have been too much. I feel for the families of the victim, but like one of the victim’s family from my documentary said, she was finally able to put herself in the shoes of the other mother who was losing her son as well. I like how you executed your characters’ emotions. Well done!
2. Cyan – I like your take on what would actually happen if Aliens visited us in such a public manner. It was sad, but glad some people made it alive.
3. Croll – Diabolical. And as it seems to be in most cases, the killer’s ego and desire for infamous status, will probably lead to his capture.

Mike M

Nick N
My goodness, what a lot of short entries this week. You all get short feedback!

Blame Ashes.

karenq0506: Interesting philosophical piece arguing for the necessity of recording the evil that men do alongside the good. Certainly not why I write, but I can’t dispute the notion.

Ward: I thought this was going to be a retelling of David and Goliath. Which it kind of was, but the sling—to me, anyway—is kind of instrumental to that story. So without it, I wasn’t quite sure if it was supposed to be some sort of update or simply inspired by it.

Rock and Roll: I’m almost positive that executions are usually carried out at midnight, and I’m unsure of it being the place of the warden of a prison to make such pronouncements. Good choice of subject matter, but the complexities of it can hardly be adequately addressed in 625 words : )

Cyan: Reads like a lost Twilight Zone episode. Was there a Twilight Zone episode about this? I want to say there was a Twilight Zone episode about this. I watched a lot of the Twilight Zone this weekend. It’s good show, the Twilight Zone.

Chainsawkitten: Can’t install whatever your first link was on my phone, so it will forever be a mystery to me. Bitbop was a cute little tune, however. Story touches ever so briefly on some heavy topics writ small.

Mike M: The creativity you have dialed cannot be reached at this time. If you feel you have reached this message in error, please hang up and try your call again later.

FlowersisBritish: Lots of snippets of good metaphors and descriptions, but not much to hang them around. You successfully captured a feeling of loathing and despair, but there’s not much done with it (nor could there likely be in only 1000 words).

Azih: I went into this expecting some sort of Katy Perry/The Interview/American Beauty reference, but no : ) Ahmed’s a better man than me, I’d have left that guy to burn without hesitation in the same situation.

oxrock: I think I liked it better when it was vague and unsettling. The moment you start calling in specific people with specific relationships to the narrator, you start laying down the foundations of story that we will never see that just leaves me with questions.

Sober: In general, I really liked almost everything about this. I too have envisioned that this would be the state of the world the second time travel is invented because the past would always be in flux. The big fly in the ointment to me is that the scientists would remain unaffected by the alterations to the time stream simply by having knowledge of/participating in sending someone back to change things.

Blargonaut: Loved the part about pictures being worth a thousand words and no one being able to speak “picture” since ancient Egypt. I think the metaphor of sheep/shepherd/wolves got a bit muddled at the end.

Tangent: I feel like we’ve done this one before… Was it you that had the story about the raindrop living in the clouds above the lonely boy on the island where it never stopped raining, and then something something something, “hey, now it’s snowing!” happened?

Croll: I shouldn’t have laughed at the notion of a serial killer taking offense at the idea of being mistaken for being anti-Semitic, but I did. Darkly comic, has a lot of potential to be expanded every further where the breakneck pace and low word count won’t impair it. Really stellar concept.

Nezumi: Reminds me of the Night Circus. You know, except for all the awful stuff happening behind the scenes and such. Fantasy circuses don’t seem to get as much play as I think that they would, or at least not in the stuff that I read. Maybe I’m just missing stuff.

Ashes: Hey, I may be a fucking cunt, but I am not… Wait, what was the second thing again?

Votes
1. Croll
2. Nezumi
3. Sober

Croll

Neo Member
karenq0506 - I've always been interested in the cognitive dissonance people possess to view things as morally repugnant but at the same time find them fascinating. I like how your story touched on this idea and I'd love to see it expanded upon.

Ward - Your description was really great - "grisly paste", "mountains held their breath". This would make a good in media res beginning to a longer story.

Rockandroll - I thought the switching POV's was done really well. Each character had their own distinct voice and Warden's words cutting in and out created a palpable tension.

Cyan - What an interesting concept - alien poetry. I gathered from your description of the aliens that it would have been similar to human poetry but the idea is intriguing enough that I really wanted to read some of it.

Chainsawkitten - There was a lot to digest given the brevity of everything. Loved the multimedia approach. I couldn't open anything in the zip file but the soundcloud song was very catchy. Maybe I'm being obtuse but was the compression of the first file meant to symbolize something about the relationship or the narrator as a person? If that's the case, it's genius.

MikeM - Writer's block and that feeling that nothing you do hasn't been done before - I can certainly relate. I read somewhere that simple, repetitive tasks stimulate creativity. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone but all of my ideas always come to me when I'm driving down a long stretch of highway on my commute to work, just sorta zoned out.

FlowersisBritish - I thought you really captured just how enticing and destructive the act of self pitying can be.

Azih - Thought the ending was great in a bittersweet way - Krishna and Ahmed share a very intimate moment but then the reader is drawn back into the reality of the situation when Ahmed is told to run. You are left wondering whether or not kindness is really a match for the blind hatred between everyone.

Oxrock - Your introduction really had me hooked. A lot of the time with surreal writing like that I feel alienated very quickly but you kept it grounded enough to hold my interest.

Sober - This Dr. Croll sounds like a pretty smart guy. I liked how you didn't get bogged down in exposition and let your descriptions do much of your story telling.

Blargonaut - I thought the narrator had a very distinctive voice thanks to your use of diction - "wind-up", "speaking picture".

Tangent - The snowflake's vacillation of emotions paralleled his journey through the sky quite nicely. Also your variety of syntax helped to regulate the pace.

Nezumi - You communicated that feeling of losing one's innocence incredibly well given the brevity of the story.I especially liked how the story was told mostly through changes in the setting.

Ashes - Interesting twist at the end.

1) Nezumi
2) Cyan
3) Chainsawkitten

Thanks as always for the feedback everyone.

Tangent

Comments (votes to follow shortly)

karenq0506 – Wow this was so raw and really good. Go writing!

Ward – My favorite line was the very first. I read it twice. I also liked how you repeated “war is a fickle thing” and I like how you just chose war as the context for “comment on the human condition.” Very good visual language.

Rock And Roll – This was a beautiful story and it reminds me of an article I read about someone in the Middle East who was being convicted for murder and sentenced to death by hanging. But the mother of the man who was killed was inspired to walk up on stage, simply slap the murderer across the face, and let the noose loose. I liked how you included different perspectives (filled with emotion) after each piece of dialog that seemed to be without emotion. Nice contrast there. I liked the last 5 sentence a lot. Again, they all are coming from a different perspective, with the final sentence just saying what that is, with ambiguous meaning. Also, I was thinking how weird it is that we actually watch executions.

Cyan – I liked the first sentence a lot and the whole premise of a reflection of ourselves in such drastically different emotional states. I’m curious to know what was whispered between the UFOs and the police officers. It’s frustrating that the UFOs felt so threatened by the questions! I shake my fist at them!

Chainsawkitten – Darn, I had trouble opening the zip files. (Could you send us another link or something in another format by any chance? Still curious.) But I like how you often go for a multimedia approach for your stories. How sad that there were so many youthful ideas that boiled down into everyday bickering… and about the stupid tech wars! Argh! It’s like religious fanaticism! I really liked how you captured this side of human nature, and wove it into a relationship.

Mike M – Fun way to express what I feel every week when I’m not sure what to write!

FlowersisBritish – I liked how you captured the cyclical/generational nature of destruction. It’s interesting how we’re so captivated by self-destruction. And I also like how you seemed to tie this into the Forbidden Fruit concept too. It’s cool to see how this character engaged and almost reveled in self-loathing and we could see the consequences of this as well. Man, poor guy. What a mess.

Azih – Powerful story, it was fun to read and very visually vivid. My favorite line was “Why are you standing there? Run.” I wonder if there was a way to prolong the stare the two characters held. I felt like that was a powerful moment but maybe you could write about what was going on in their minds or something? Something to hold that moment.

Oxrock – Aah this was so creepy! Well done! I do have to say though that I enjoyed the second half more than the first half. I liked how you ended with “All I see is red” and contrasting that with the “white” of the insane asylum. But perhaps the beginning felt too poetic for me. Obviously poetic is not a bad things so I might just have bad taste. Haha.

Sober – I really liked the concept here about how messed up the past would be with time travel. Very well done. Although I’m horrible at reading screenplays, I liked your chosen format because I think it allows for the story to progress well and smoothly.

Blargonaut – Wow so much happening in such a short story! I got a little confused with the snake and the Tongue, but I like the idea of an involved thought process on the tram.

Croll – Gosh it’s fun to read all the different things people captured about the human condition. Like how this serial killer is so resolute on his perception of reality. Really well done. I liked the part about the conversation with the other mourner and the part about feeling shocked at being called a racist.

Nezumi – The descriptions were so beautiful, almost poetic. Such as, “Like rainbows captured in little pebbles” when describing beetles. The message was powerful. I was actually thinking about writing about the same “human condition” but my story had much more boring characters and a blander setting. Well done!

Votes:
1. Nezumi
2. Croll
3. Rock and Roll
hm. FlowersisBritish

Tangent: I feel like we’ve done this one before… Was it you that had the story about the raindrop living in the clouds above the lonely boy on the island where it never stopped raining, and then something something something, “hey, now it’s snowing!” happened?

No..

FlowersisBritish - I thought you really captured just how enticing and destructive the act of self pitying can be.

Couldn't have said it better. So weird how us humans do that!

Sober

Sober - This Dr. Croll sounds like a pretty smart guy. I liked how you didn't get bogged down in exposition and let your descriptions do much of your story telling.
Pure coincidence! If I was trying to buy your vote and the stack of fresh hundreds did not arrive, please call customer service with the number provided on the back of your membership card!

-

Comments:

karenq0506 - As a history major I find these thoughts interesting. As a writer, they are just as interesting. Stories are a great way to work things through, pick them apart, evaluate them.

Ward - Fantastic descriptions, drew a great image not only of the fight but with also with the audience watching it and the toll it took on the environment.

Rock And Roll - For stories like these, there's always multiple sides, so I liked that you jumped POVs and made us care about each one, especially in so little words.

Cyan - Fearmongering, it brings out the best (of the worst) in all of us!

Chainsawkitten - I'm guessing it was supposed to crash at the very end or something? And the music was cool but I didn't realize it linked to a playlist so it just kept going and freaked me out a bit as program.exe was going on. I was about to restart my computer to get it to stop because I didn't know what was going on. Working as intended I guess? Not entirely sure what the story was but that was certainly an experience.

Mike M - I wonder, if you printed that as a book, would people get angry for wasting all that paper?

FlowersisBritish - That was depressing to read.

Azih - Interesting juxtaposition in the story. Again like an earlier story, there's that theme of people doing shitty things, but Krishna manages to rise above it for at least a moment.

oxrock - The start was interesting, and then when it came to a head I was expecting a twist, but all I got was torture.

Blargonaut - This character seems really ... misanthropic? Sorta confused as to what was going on there.
Was this guy looking at his anime while on the tram?

Tangent - Interesting imagery and emotion, really liked this one.

Croll - Disturbing but also amusing in a way at the same time. Now I feel bad about it. Although I'm a little confused how T.R. is supposed to look like a crucifix in any way, at least not the kind that I've seen.

Nezumi - Ah, the loss of innocence, what a freakish time that was. And at the circus you say? No amount of scrubbing will ever get you clean after that.

Ashes - Well, that was a twist.

-

Votes:
1. Tangent
2. Nezumi
3. Rock and Roll

Cyan

Banned
The Results:
1st Place: Nezumi - untitled
2nd Place: Croll - untitled
3rd Place: Cyan - untitled

Vote Count:
Nezumi - 20 (4)
Croll - 18 (3)
Cyan - 11 (1)
Tangent - 9 (2)
Sober - 6 (1)
Rock and Roll - 6 (1)
Azih - 4 (1)
Chainsawkitten - 2
Ward - 2

Man, that was a close one! I totally thought Croll was gonna run away with it until it turned around at the last minute. Great stories, guys. And congrats, Nez! I'm expecting an awesome new theme. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom