• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chances of a Shenmue I+II HD Collection?

jay

Eh... Does Sega really listen to their fans though? I'm genuinely asking. I haven't really been following them in the past 3-4 years.

They just announced that they now understand focusing on quality is relevant to making games. Give them another 20 years before they come around to paying attention to fans.

My post from the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter thread:
So I would say Shenmue 1+2 HD is an inevitability, what are some hopes and dreams for it?

My personal list is:
  • Updated lighting (proper shadows for all characters, greater depth to color)
  • Updated water
  • Updated skyboxes
  • Next to no loading times (I like the screen with date, time and place)
  • No character pop-in
  • 60fps/custom resolution
  • English and Japanese VO, at a higher audio quality (don't know HQ possible, this era certainly didn't think to future proof or save assets)

I think those are all realistic expectations. There is no reason lighting, water, and performance issues can't all be easily addressed. They have the voice-overs all ready.

Here are a few dreams:
  • Updated NPC character models including:
    Full lip sync for all NPCs (If Tamura-san can have it, they all can)
    Everyone has 5 fingered hands.
    Bump in texture quality (Once again not sure about this era and future-proofing)​
  • Ryo model updated. We stare at him for most of them game, give us higher quality textures at the very least. If they have to update them from scratch, so be it.
  • A greater depth to exploration, and I mean add some things to find around the towns. There are so many places that have detail but are rarely if ever used. Create some new toys/collectibles/mini-games/anything that can be found by homes, apartments, and lesser explored areas. Give the players some incentive to actually explore parts that have no plot involvement.
  • Quick phone dialing - Select phone, open notebook, select number, person is called. I love having the rotary phone, but after the first few times of using it, I'd like a faster method.
  • Wait for event feature from S2 in S1.
  • Another sparring partner or Fuku-san in more places to spar with.
  • Shenmue Passport Updated. This was ahead of it's time, and a lot of this info is basic extras for a game now a days.
  • Save game Transfer to Shenmue 3.

I'm sure I'll think of more stuff, and everyone has their own ideas.

I made this list during my replay of Shenmue but before Shenmue 2. And so I see they did some nice updates for S2. All NPCs have full lipsync and shadows are on all chracaters. I also noticed loading was improved. It appears that some buildings have almost no loading when exiting them. I feel like I remember hearing how they would load the building plus the overworld when you entered a building. Doesn't seem to always be the case, but there is some interesting loading going on.

Also in the Xbox Shenmue 2, there were clearly updates to the water and lighting effects. I know people hate the bloom, but the PC would allow for all kinds of modding. And It looks like Ryo's textures at the very least were upgraded too.

Eh... Does Sega really listen to their fans though? I'm genuinely asking. I haven't really been following them in the past 3-4 years.
SEGA isn't one guy in a tower: Yosuke Okunari and M2 have been listening to classic SEGA fans and giving them remakes of arcade titles for years now. Even the Shining team, as much as I dislike what they've done, listens to its Japanese fans.

Dabanton

It's probably a ton of work on games that will simply frustrate a lot of you guys who've never actually played a Shenmue game before. The first game especially would need a lot of re-jigging control wise especially. Can you really see Modern Sega doing that?

danwarb

It's probably a ton of work on games that will simply frustrate a lot of you guys who've never actually played a Shenmue game before. The first game especially would need a lot of re-jigging control wise especially. Can you really see Modern Sega doing that?

NiGHTS had it's controls improved post launch, even though hardly anyone bought it.

People can get used to the controls. They'll need to fix wide screen support and increase IQ.

Kucan

On top of the graphical improvements I would love a remastered soundtrack to go along with it.

Optional, of course, for those who want the originals.

kagamin

I'd like one, to go with the release of the third game, but I can't say for certain knowing Sega's track record.

There are apparently some legal issues with some software components used in the game's engine.

CHt5aFEWoAEWNBx.jpg:large

Nevertheless, I am pretty sure that Sega will figure that out and release the games on current platforms. The media attention Shenmue has gotten in the last days warrants the legal hassles. Can't be that hard for a lawyer to figure out the licences situation of these software components.

Skies if Arcadia was cancelled? fuck SEGA

Kriken

There are apparently some legal issues with some software components used in the game's engine.

CHt5aFEWoAEWNBx.jpg:large

Nevertheless, I am pretty sure that Sega will figure that out and release the games on current platforms. The media attention Shenmue has gotten in the last days warrants the legal hassles. Can't be that hard for a lawyer to figure out the licences situation of these software components.

This is really disappointing, I know I'll sound petty, but I really don't want to back Shenmue 3 unless I have a way of easily playing 1 and 2. I know I could always watch LPs, but it's just not the same feeling as playing for yourself to understand why people love them so much. And I don't want to back a project that I don't know whether or not I'll like based on the previous games

batbeg

Why does Sega have nothing to do with Shenmue 3? This has confused me from the get go. Do they not own the IP itself?

FLD

If Sega really wants to suck less, uncancelling that Skies of Arcadia port would be a pretty good start. Like, seriously. I never finished it on GameCube and I could really use an HD rerelease. :(

danwarb

Why does Sega have nothing to do with Shenmue 3? This has confused me from the get go. Do they not own the IP itself?

Yes they do own the Shenmue IP, but they gave 3 to Yu Suzuki since no one was willing to fund it, so he could try himself through a KS.

wbEMX

I'd love a HD remaster. I was way too young when the Dreamcast and Shenmue were out in stores. I remember playing Shenmue II at a friend's house on his Xbox a few years ago, but I want to experience the games myself. As for a wishlist, I actually only wish for better sound quality. Clearer sounding VO and multichannel surround would be awesome, especially because of the kick-ass soundtrack. The graphics should be 1080p60 anyway, so there's not much to improve on.

Do it, SEGA!

Biker19

Banned
If Sega is sincere about their whole "we're going to suck less" thing, then I'd say it's a near certainty.

Whether Sega is going to be sensible...remains to be seen. Though if Sega isn't going to be sensible, it'd be cool if Sony at least paid them to do one anyway.

They'll have to get past the legal issues in order to do so.

And if this happens, I hope that there's a dual audio option.

They'll have to get past the legal issues in order to do so.

And if this happens, I hope that there's a dual audio option.

I remember correctly, Sony mentioned that in their building the list campaign Shenmue was one of the more requested games and they themselves echoed the whole legal issues situation preventing a release...so it's not SEGA being lazy, it's pretty much legal issues being a major hurdle.

Again, the Kickstarter bringing attention to the franchise MIGHT get them to reconsider a release. Ball is in their court, but they have to decide if it is worth the risk on their part.

BedBison

Neo Member
Sega would be smart to capitalize on the hype. They were nice enough to let them use the Shenmue name and assets for Shenmue III so just that alone make me think that Sega really is trying to suxk less.

Videoneon

Moderately likely. Sega probably has a lot of other things planned without worrying about cranking out a 1+2 HD port by early-mid 2017 (before Shenmue 3.) I do feel that at this point Suzuki is okay either way, and that 1+2 would be icing.

It took a shitton of work, but Sumo Digital lobbied like hell to Sega to get them to include Ryo as a character for SASRT DLC (after polling fans, though as I recall the polls didn't attract much publicity/less than what I would've wanted.) Sega is smart enough to hold onto the IP but it's not clear they're willing to make investments into it.

1+2 is obviously desirable to the gaming public for various reasons, besides that. The discussions are probably taking place over the next few months.

Almighty

No clue honestly, but if I was to hazard a guess I would say it probably has a much better chance now do to the kickstarter of 3 then it did before.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I never got to play them either, even though I really wanted to. It would be pretty stupid of Sega not to, it would probably sell a million copies off the back of Shenmue 3's hype

Moderately likely. Sega probably has a lot of other things planned without worrying about cranking out a 1+2 HD port by early-mid 2017 (before Shenmue 3.) I do feel that at this point Suzuki is okay either way, and that 1+2 would be icing.

It took a shitton of work, but Sumo Digital lobbied like hell to Sega to get them to include Ryo as a character for SASRT DLC (after polling fans, though as I recall the polls didn't attract much publicity/less than what I would've wanted.) Sega is smart enough to hold onto the IP but it's not clear they're willing to make investments into it.

1+2 is obviously desirable to the gaming public for various reasons, besides that. The discussions are probably taking place over the next few months.

Ryo was in the original Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing as a non-DLC character. So they probably didn't have to work too hard to get him in the sequel.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I want more a shenmue 1/2 in HD or the dreamcast version than the shenmue3 because i like it more the urban gameplay than a village.

If Sega really wants to suck less, uncancelling that Skies of Arcadia port would be a pretty good start. Like, seriously. I never finished it on GameCube and I could really use an HD rerelease. :(
Praying TGS will deliver Skies of Arcadia at the very least. I want to have faith in SEGA AGAIN!

Chaos17

With all the Shenmue 3 hype I would say the odds are pretty good they'll be re released in some form.

Shenmue Hype doesn't exist outside of the Shenmue communites fans because it only made so far 4,6 millions and there are only 7 days to go... Thanks to journlies who didn't supported it at all for most of them and I'm not even talking about the popular youtubers who didn't gave it a FUCK.

ranmafan

I really hope SEGA has taken a look at the situation this past month and is at least thinking about it. If they seriously want to repair their reputation as they said recently, this would be a great place to start. That and just going back through their Dreamcast and Saturn catalogs and given us more of that too would be so nice. Its a nice dream, hope it turns to reality.

JP

I think the legal issues are going to be the main stumbling block for these titles and that could literally take years of work to get around. I remember that there was a post on the PlayStation Blog a few years ago about the work that had to go into getting PS1 games released on the PS3 and at times it needed two or three years of legal work to get a PS1 game on the PS3.

It takes an incredible amount of money to do that sort of work and the sales of a Shenmue I & II Remaster collection quite possibly wouldn't even cover the costs of the conversion, let alone the cost of making it legally viable.

Much like Shenmue III, for it to happen it's going to need somebody who is willing to foot the bill and do the work while fully understanding that they're probably not going to get a financial return for the collection. Shenmue III had apparently been offered to publishers for years but publishers weren't willing to lose money on the project.

SparkTR

I think the legal issues are going to be the main stumbling block for these titles and that could literally take years of work to get around. I remember that there was a post on the PlayStation Blog a few years ago about the work that had to go into getting PS1 games released on the PS3 and at times it needed two or three years of legal work to get a PS1 game on the PS3.

It takes an incredible amount of money to do that sort of work and the sales of a Shenmue I & II Remaster collection quite possibly wouldn't even cover the costs of the conversion, let alone the cost of making it legally viable.

Much like Shenmue III, for it to happen it's going to need somebody who is willing to foot the bill and do the work while fully understanding that they're probably not going to get a financial return for the collection. Shenmue III had apparently been offered to publishers for years but publishers weren't willing to lose money on the project.

Maybe things are different for Japanese companies, but the most fucked up legal situation for an old game I remember was System Shock 2, whose IP rights changed hands and split dozens of times through companies who did not give a shit about gaming. It took time but in the end it was a small development studio who got those rights sorted out for a modern re-release and they saw a nice profit in return.

I seriously doubt getting these rights issues sorted out would cost Sega money overall. But I do think, at the time, the opportunity cost for this investment was deemed too wasteful for Sega. Why spend $2m remastering Shenmue to get say $5m in return, when the same amount of money spent on mobile games will net $10m in return? That said, with the talk around Shenmue now that's a completely different outlook and I definitely think it'll be pursued by Sega.

Peltz

Maybe things are different for Japanese companies, but the most fucked up legal situation for an old game I remember was System Shock 2, whose IP rights changed hands and split dozens of times through companies who did not give a shit about gaming. It took time but in the end it was a small development studio who got those rights sorted out for a modern re-release and they saw a nice profit in return.

I seriously doubt getting these rights issues sorted out would cost Sega money overall. But I do think, at the time, the opportunity cost for this investment was deemed too wasteful for Sega. Why spend $2m remastering Shenmue to get say $5m in return, when the same amount of money spent on mobile games will net $10m in return? That said, with the talk around Shenmue now that's a completely different outlook and I definitely think it'll be pursued by Sega.
Don't forget, system shock 2 didn't also need a port job. All of the work was legal.

This job is legal and technical so it'd probably be more expensive and risky. I still hope we get it though.

Videoneon

Ryo was in the original Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing as a non-DLC character. So they probably didn't have to work too hard to get him in the sequel.

I would think they did. Basically, there were no plans at first for any DLC characters IIRC. Sumo then heard that players wanted more characters, and set up a large batch of petitions for individual characters to be included as DLC. All conditional - stating that there was no guarantee any of it would work. They then had to approach Sega and discuss with them the addition of a new character. He was a character like a year or so after the game had come out.

Asset use/reuse is one thing (I don't know if any were? I never played the game.) But the OK is a separate one.

fyi everybody, that post is literally the only thing pointing to a legal issue. grain of salt and that.
Its crazy how many times I've seen it quoted over the years and even mentioned outside GAF.
Talk about urban legends..

The post also has zero do with what's happening right now either. There's no way in hell Sega is looking at the kickstarters success and thinking that sorting out a rights issue wouldn't be worth the returns.

Only if they get money from Kickstarter because Sony wont fund PC version.

Like how they won't fund Street Fighter V for PC?

Oh wait.

Top Bottom