• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Changing XB1 region to play a game early

Probably a dumb question, but I remember when Destiny came out there were lots of people who changed their Xbox One region from US to Australia so they could play it a day early. Apparently you could change your console region as much as you want.

My question is that I pre ordered MGS V digitally, if I change my region can I play that digital version early? If so, are there any risks and can I change my console region back 24 hours later?

lentini

It'll only unlock early (Australian time) if you buy the game from that region. As you bought it from the US market place, it'll unlock at US time.

keidashxd

Did you buy in the US store? I think it's related to that, if you buy in the australian marketplace it activates within their time region specifics.

If you buy it in the US marketplace no matter where region you log it will activate in US time.

tuna_love

Banned
Destiny didn't work :(. I think I've seen people say if you redeem an amazon code in a different store it will unlock early.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
It unlocks to the region purchased. 2 reasons I now purchase from Hong Kong and Singapore. Play games early and cheapest. MGSV will unlock in 6 hours for me and cost me about £23.

I keep my XB1 set to UK region and just purchase through Xbox.com by changing region here - http://www.xbox.com/Shell/ChangeLocale

Destiny didn't work :(. I think I've seen people say if you redeem an amazon code in a different store it will unlock early.

I can't speak for Destiny because I didn't do it with that one, but I do believe some folks did it with that game.

I know for a fact that you can, at least with most games, play them early IF you buy them from that region's marketplace. I got some Hong Kong Dollars currency codes from Play-Asia and purchased Halo: TMCC from the Honk-Kong marketplace to play it like 14 or 15 hours early. It does work (with most games anyway), as long as you buy from that region's digital marketplace.

OP - it won't work for you because you bought it on the US marketplace, as others have said.

I can't speak for Destiny because I didn't do it with that one, but I do believe some folks did it with that game.

I know for a fact that you can, at least with most games, play them early IF you buy them from that region's marketplace. I got some Hong Kong Dollars currency codes from Play-Asia and purchased Halo: TMCC from the Honk-Kong marketplace to play it like 14 or 15 hours early. It does work (with most games anyway), as long as you buy from that region's digital marketplace.

OP - it won't work for you because you bought it on the US marketplace, as others have said.

Ive bought MGSV, Halo 5 and Gears UE from the Singapore store and can play a day before official release :D
Today is MGS5 unlock time.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I clicked HK and it still stays on the UK store for me?

Go to the game page you want to purchase then scroll down to the bottom and choose change country. Once new country is chose it will change. I don't think the link I gave will work because it doesn't have a return URL.

Go to the game page you want to purchase then scroll down to the bottom and choose change country. Once new country is chose it will change. I don't think the link I gave will work because it doesn't have a return URL.

Working.

What a time to be alive -
F6:UE £53 lol.

It unlocks to the region purchased. 2 reasons I now purchase from Hong Kong and Singapore. Play games early and cheapest. MGSV will unlock in 6 hours for me and cost me about £23.

I keep my XB1 set to UK region and just purchase through Xbox.com by changing region here - http://www.xbox.com/Shell/ChangeLocale

Does purchasing from Hong Kong and Singapore ever create any issues? Would love to move to all digital, but here in Australia our digital prices are obscene!

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Does purchasing from Hong Kong and Singapore ever create any issues? Would love to move to all digital, but here in Australia our digital prices are obscene!

Only if you need to do a refund for some reason. I bought Halo: MCC from Hong Kong then got given a code for free so I decided to request a refund but customer services started questioning why I had so many purchases from different countries in such a little time. They said they will do the refund but they never got back in touch so I left it.

Grazzt

I'm in Australia too and I always buy games from Hong Kong and US market. Haven't had any issues.
Is it true that unlock time is depended on where you buy the game, not where you download it?

Spades

But what about digital game codes come with the bundles?
I preorder the halo 5 bundle and should I redeem the code in New Zealand market if I want to play it early?

Normally when you use a code, it'll be tied to the region that your console is set to when you redeem it. So if it is set to US and you redeem a code, it'll be a US region that is available on US release date.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Unfortunately no. I bought Destiny from US store, changed my region to HK and it did not work. I believe you have to buy the game from that specific region.

God typing this I am remembering all th Destiny hype lol first time ever I spent 100$ on 1 game lmao. All dreams shattered :(

is it possible to buy US download codes from amazon.com for xbox live titles from outside the US? or did amazon put a stop to that?

Has anyone figured out where the absolute cheapest place is to buy games based on conversion rates? Or do they maintain them pretty good.

GreyWind

A question, can you buy games from another region with your regular credit card?

Because I could use this method as games here in Canada are so expensive :'(

Trini

Neo Member

Im thinking of buying 2k16 from HK region but I was wondering where did you buy the gift cards and how long did it take to get the codes?

jesu

Im thinking of buying 2k16 from HK region but I was wondering where did you buy the gift cards and how long did it take to get the codes?

You can buy Hong Kong cards from playasia, your first order might take a couple of hours to go through and they will phone you on your paypal phone number but after that you will get the codes quicker.

Top Bottom