• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chaos Reborn prototype (from XCOM creator) playable free now in browser

Socky

I haven't had time to play the early build yet but I backed this on Ciderman's recommendation. Glad to see it made it - a game from one of the guys who made OG X-Com demands my attention. I'm looking forward to trying it out now although that will doubtless involve me getting my butt whupped all about the place.

Haunted

Mechanics look pretty deep.

Environments look quite nice already.

I also like that the shitty unfinished UI basically looks like the finished UI in the mobile FF rereleases. ;_;

hemtae

It hit the 200k stretch goal

"$200k pledge level reached - Localisation of game text - at a minimum French, German, Italian and Spanish, plus a small selection of other languages to be decided based on demand and costs."

mclem

I'm confident it *will* make it. Factor in an endgame spike - which seems to be starting - and it'll get there. In fact, I'll go a bit further: I reckon it'll make £200k.

A word of warning: I am terrible at predicting these things. So there's that.

Told you I was awful. A full £10k out!

I'm so excited for this. I had the original on Spectrum, it came free on a magazine and I got completely hooked.

The beta was great too, I'll be getting this day one.

Is it going to be PC/Mac only? I Would love a PS4 downloadable version.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Lots of fundamental changes there, looks like it's moving to more of a CCG style game, which makes sense.

Look forward to giving it a spin later.

hemtae

Chaos Reborn Version 0.20 with spell cards and more

New spell casting interface: Spells are now displayed as cards which you can drag onto the battlefield to cast. It is still very much work in progress, so expect a few bugs and glitches. Graphics for these new elements are still placeholder.

Staff display: The staff display shows how much the staff is charged and will glow when you are able to activate the staff’s mega-spell.

Spell burning: You must now drag a spell card onto the staff display in order to burn it and draw a new card. There will be an animation for drawing new cards, but it is not implemented yet.

Spell information display: You can access this by clicking on the 'i' icon which appears on a spell card when you hover the mouse over it.

Spell decks: The staff will now influence the spells in the deck, and will guarantee at least 2 spells matching the staff type. Also, there can only be a maximum of 2 spells of the same type in a deck.

Hats and bodygear: The hats will be removed in their current form, but for now every wizard has a hat of time which generates mana according to the turn number. The bodygear now determines the spell deck size, with the arcane type giving a larger deck than the other 2 types. The hats may make a reappearance in another guise. The next release will feature an exciting new way to earn mana.

Mana surge: A wizard that slays an enemy at range 1 will gain double mana points for the kill. This encourages more heroic wizards.

Magic Power: Magic Resistance has been renamed ‘Magic Power’ and it will now affect some spells. The power of magic bolt now depends in part on the magic power of the casting wizard. The success chance of subversion and the magic attack spells is now modified by both the attackers magic power and the magic power of the wizard controlling the target.

Retreat mechanic: This version sees the introduction of an experimental new combat mechanic. Creatures now have a possibility to retreat if they receive a killing blow to avoid death. A creature can only retreat to valid movement space (by walking, not flying) which is not adjacent to an engaging enemy creature. The success of retreat depends on the defender’s agility for ranged attacks, and on both the defender’s and attacker’s agility for close combat attacks. The agility stats of creatures and wizards have been tweaked.

New giant ability: The giant has gained a powerful one-shot ranged attack with an attack value of 8. Once his rock is thrown, the giants close combat attack value is reduced by 4. Overall the giant has been made more powerful.

New animations and graphics: The goblin, skeleton, elephant and giant are now fully animated (although the giant is still using the old model. The selection markers have been changed. There is a new tangle vine model. The map graphics have been modified.

Options screen: There is a new options screen which allows you to adjust the sound volume.

Maps: Existing maps have been tweaked and new maps added.

5b0bacb3d3239320419b84a5a614262c_large.jpg

75b9dd6e625fca69f76091a7719655d3_large.jpg

hemtae

New update: Chaos Reborn Version 0.21 with Asynchronous Game Play

The changes and additions are as follows:

Asynchronous games: This is the major new feature for this release. You can now play a game with other players without requiring them to be online at the same time. There is no turn timer, but instead a chess clock style timer in which each player gets a number of days to complete all moves in a game. You can play up to 20 asynchronous games consecutively. If players do happen to be online simultaneously the game will play the same as a ‘live’ game, so you could use the asynchronous games feature as a way to split game play sessions when needed.

Mana Sprites: A major change to the game play is the introduction of mana sprites. These are spawned on the map at fixed positions and they can be picked up by wizards to gain mana points. Creatures cannot enter a hex containing a mana sprite.

Match maker: The lobby system has been changed for random games. Now there is a ‘match maker’ system where you set preferences for the game configuration you want and the server will find a match or create a new game.

Spells: The creature spells have now been limited to the 12 that we have animations for. I realise this may seem like a bit of a step backwards in game play, but we need to keep the presentation consistent for our public launch on Steam. Rest assured, fully animated creatures will be added as fast as we can. The ‘Law shift’ and the ‘Chaos shift’ spells have been added.

Creatures: The Hydra has been beefed up and the blob spreading reduced.

Decks: The allocation system for spells now allows up to 3 of the same type of spell to be in a deck, but with a diminishing chance for each spell added.

Creature graphics: Newly added animations and models include the gooey blob, tangle vine, spider, elf, eagle, manticore, shadow wood and sapphire dragon.

Selection and ownership markers: There is a major change here which might initially seem a bit confusing. Your wizard is always blue, enemies are always red and your team mate is always green. The ownership markers are using roman numerals to indicate the player number. The selection marker is now a separate interface element and is much more bold and clear. The sizes of the markers are now proportional to the size of the creature.

Selection cycling: You can press the TAB key, or the new button on the right of the screen, to select the next creature/wizard which still has something to do.

Spell sorting: The spell cards can now be sorted by either casting chance or by alignment. Selecting riders: There is now a button appearing over the mount to select the rider.

Creature info box: There is an informational box for selected creatures, wizards and growths displayed on the top right of the screen. The detailed information display can be accessed with the ‘i’ button.

Interface improvements: The battle interface has a number of changes, including the turn timer, law/chaos display and the turn order and VPs display.

Mana points: You now get mana points for failing to cast a spell, and not for successfully casting a spell. Victory points are still gained for casting a spell. Mana points for killing wizards have been reduced from 50 to 33. The mana point costs of mega-spells have been increased slightly. The hat of time is no longer operational.

Environment graphics: The terrain and surrounding environment graphics have been changed and tweaked.

Subversion: Subverting an enemy creature stuck in your blob will cause the blob to die.

Retreating: This has been removed entirely, for now.

8db9c97a4062091c75d6d45551d223ff_large.jpg

d2d722459d42200433bfc71272830087_large.jpg

CzarTim

Played for the first time since the Kickstarter and it's really coming along! Async makes getting games much easier, and the UI has come a long way too. Still love it!

Morokh

GAF you failed me !

How did I not know about this before !????? :O

Are the links on the KS update for everyone or do I need to be a backer to try it out ?

jesu

GAF you failed me !

Are the links on the KS update for everyone or do I need to be a backer to try it out ?

Works for everyone, and you can still back it on it's website if you wish.

hemtae

GAF you failed me !

I bump this or the other topic whenever a new update comes out but there is really no hype at all here. I will never get why GAF ignores this and Xenonauts especially with how well received XCOM was here.

I bump this or the other topic whenever a new update comes out but there is really no hype at all here. I will never get why GAF ignores this and Xenonauts especially with how well received XCOM was here.

This is my first time hearing about this. Aesthetically, it looks fantastic. I'd be willing to throw down $50. Glad they're still accepting backers.

Sell me on it! I tried reading the kickstarter, but I'm going through a big adrenaline rush at 4am, so I'm not fully internalising anything (and for some reason, their websites kickstarter link is broken to, had to use the GAF one that's posted).

EDIT: Fuck it, I'm down for the $50 tier!

EDIT: Something tells me if they're at alpha .21 now, they definitely won't be hitting their projected May 2015 date. More importantly, have actually got enough funding to finish it? Scope to funding ratio seems off.

hemtae

This is my first time hearing about this. Aesthetically, it looks fantastic. I'd be willing to throw down $50. Glad they're still accepting backers.

Sell me on it! I tried reading the kickstarter, but I'm going through a big adrenaline rush at 4am, so I'm not fully internalising anything (and for some reason, their websites kickstarter link is broken to, had to use the GAF one that's posted).

EDIT: Fuck it, I'm down for the $50 tier!

EDIT: Something tells me if they're at alpha .21 now, they definitely won't be hitting their projected May 2015 date. More importantly, have actually got enough funding to finish it? Scope to funding ratio seems off.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was delayed a bit but they seem to be making decent progress. They have a pretty small team and they're in eastern Europe where the cost of living is suppose to be cheaper. Julian Gollop has shipped quite a few games so I trust him to know how much it would take to get this one done.

hemtae

New Kickstarter update: Chaos Reborn v0.22 - Coming to Steam Early Access on December 9th

The next update of Chaos Reborn will be the biggest and best ever. Expect the following:

• Wizard animations
  • New Spell effects
  • Music - main theme and battle tracks which change according to law/chaos balance
  • New sound effects
  • New interface animations - including drawing cards
  • Environmental effects for law and chaos shifts
  • Profile screen showing your wizard and stats
  • Game record in profile screen
  • Level progression system (up to level 7)
  • in-game ability to upgrade account to wizard lord or wizard king backer levels
  • Noble and Royal creature skins for players who have backed at wizard lord level or higher
  • Wizard auras for players who have backed at wizard lord level or higher
  • Steam integration with your Chaos Reborn account

jesu

Holy fuck at the graphics in the new trailer.
Is that what it's going to look like on the 9th Dec?

Menome

I hadn't played this since the Summer when I backed it, thanks to other games demanding my attention, but after seeing that it's now up on Early Access and with a major graphical polish on top, it's drawn me back in. About to start playing now if anyone's up for a round or two after my current match.

robin2

Just player a 4-player match (won yay!). I never played since the alpha prototype during kickstarter (played a shitton of it).

Still super fun but.. the graphics are a bit too confusing now. It's hard to distinguish magic bow on wizards, and the less bleaker world makes it worse. It's pity because I recognize the detail and the design care put into everything, but.. it' sort of hard to read... Or maybe it's just me, having a thing for monochrome things.

Menome

I wouldn't mind an option to switch to the prototype-graphics, especially in matches with multiple Shadow Wood and Tangle Vine spells in effect.

robin2

I wouldn't mind an option to switch to the prototype-graphics, especially in matches with multiple Shadow Wood and Tangle Vine spells in effect.
Yes those are especially cluttering.
Also the "special look" enabled by higher kickstarter tiers increases the confusion: good luck distinguishing a Magic Bow on a "embellished" mage, sitting on an "embellished" unicorn.
They need to go more monochromatic imo and pay more attention to the "shape", adding stylization and details is good but it need to remain easily readable. Eagle, spider and unicorn are fine; mages on the other hand are too detailed and not enough monochromatic; and of course tangle vines and shadow trees need to look more like vines and trees, more slim.
But then again people seem to like it graphically, so maybe it's just me.

CzarTim

Maybe they can just add an icon under the player name to indicated bow / sword / shield? I don't have a problem with the graphics beyond that issue.

robin2

Playing this a bit an I must admit I don't like some changes made form the prototype.

I don't like the spell deck turned into a card deck (but there will be a "classic mode" thankfully); the "uncovered" spells are too few (8) to be random, it's too easy to find yourself with a quite useless selection (yes, you can "burn" spells to pull out new, and hopefully better, ones, but you lose the spells in the process).
I especially don't like the fact that now Disbelieve don't count as spellcasting, so you can cast both a spell and Disbelieve in the same turn: if you don't waste anymore a turn "Disbelieving" what is stopping you from just doing it spree all the time?
The two above combined -together with the mana points that make casting more reliable- seem, to me, to increase the amount of "beginning turns causalities", which aren't so great when they happen too frequently.

Things aren't set in stone yet, so they can change; and I'm not saying I dislike the game now; just that I preferred the prototype compared to the current.

Menome

Disbelieve does still count as spellcasting, but if you successfully destroy an illusion, you get to cast another spell. If it's a real creature, then that's that and you can't cast anything else for the turn.

robin2

Disbelieve does still count as spellcasting, but if you successfully destroy an illusion, you get to cast another spell. If it's a real creature, then that's that and you can't cast anything else for the turn.
I see. I dunno, Disbelieve + Magic Bolt someone into oblivion in the same turn; before at least the illusory mount gave you that extra turn to try something.

CzarTim

Bingo. Also feel like the deck stuff will get better once they add more spells / creatures. As it stands you're at the mercy of the staff you start with.

Though that said, yesterday I played a four player game where I had a Law Staff and the other three had Chaos Staves. Someone in chat said I would have a difficult time since I'd be going against the shift. I then proceeded to cast not one but two non-illusion sapphire dragons, and killed all three wizards myself within two turns. :)

I've put about nine hours into the Steam version so far. Loved every second.

I see. I dunno, Disbelieve + Magic Bolt someone into oblivion in the same turn; before at least the illusory mount gave you that extra turn to try something.

Yes, but now that you know that's an option, you can adapt your first turn strategy.

hemtae

New update: Single Player Mode Comes to Chaos Reborn

Our Christmas update has some exciting new features, including an offline battle mode which allows you to play 'hotseat' with other players, or single player against an AI opponent, or any combination of human and AI players. There is also a new spell - Summon Rat Pack - a pack of three hideous, mutant giant rats. For the holiday period we also have a cool looking Christmas theme. Check out our Steam store page for more info on the update.

Since the release on Steam Early Access on December 9th the player community has more than doubled. I would like to thank our Kickstarter backers who helped make the Steam launch a great success, especially those of you who eagerly helped new players learn the game and get involved in the discussions.

Happy Christmas and New Year from the Chaos Reborn dev team at Snapshot Games.

Top Bottom