• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chaos Reborn prototype (from XCOM creator) playable free now in browser

Now the prototype is open for all;

http://chaos1.vm.bytemark.co.uk/ChaosReborn/client_web.html

Go and try it people. If you like it back it. Remember the intention is to have more content than you see here. SP campaign, RPG elements etc.

Just try it. If you enjoy turn based strategy you can't go wrong.

Back it, only has 5 days left;

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1206403106/chaos-reborn-from-the-creator-of-the-original-x-co

If you do encounter any bugs, or want to make any suggestions you can do so here;

http://www.forum.chaos-reborn.com

robin2

The prototype shows how good the core mechanics are.
Plenty of fun already.

- 180K;
- by a legendary game designer;
- working prototype available.

What more do you want from a kickstarter?

BibiMaghoo

Gollop for life. Will check out now.

Edit: Just smashed some poor dude. Plays like the old one with stuff in the way. The camera centering on your wizard is pretty annoying though, as the map is small enough for it to be centered for the screen and still see everything. Look forward to playing the full release.

Edit2: The multi rooms are dead. They need to throw in a chat bar for the lobby so we can all bitch about it while we wait.

Gollop for life. Will check out now.

Edit2: The multi rooms are dead. They need to throw in a chat bar for the lobby so we can all bitch about it while we wait.

Totes! Guy is a game God in my eyes.

Yeah I leave the mp waiting while I browse and wait for the sound cue to know the game is on. To be fair he has updated even the prototype a couple of times already. May well get a chat window update sooner or later. Depending on the kickstarter of course.

But just the ability to play Chaos again is enough for me, even if it is limited. Where dat Raise Dead spell? : )

BibiMaghoo

Oh I'm not really complaining. Just first things that came to mind after a game. I've played a few more, lost a couple. The game is going to be great. I like you can already setup private matches.

But that Unity GUI hahaha. I always wondered what the web player looked like, now I know.

BibiMaghoo

You can scroll around by holding down any of the main mouse buttons.

I know, but then at the start off my turn it centers back on my wizard, ignoring all the adjustments I've just made a turn ago. That needs to be changed, unless the maps are going to be larger.

Delstius

Interesting prototype.

Summoning an illusion and then riding it is a neat idea.
I'm failing almost every spell beside easiest one so far, though.

robin2

Interesting prototype.

Summoning an illusion and then riding it is a neat idea.
I'm failing almost every spell beside easiest one so far, though.
Using powerful (and thus difficult) spells "just like that" is a huge gamble.
Normally before casting them you wait, hoping that the corresponding alignment builds up in the world, making them easier.
I've had more than one match where I could summon red dragons with 100% chance.

Using powerful (and thus difficult) spells "just like that" is a huge gamble.
Normally before casting them you wait, hoping that the corresponding alignment builds up in the world, making them easier.
I've had more than one match where I could summon red dragons with 100% chance.

This.

If anything this new prototype build is easier to cast more difficult (lower percentage) spells. In the few games I have played on it I have cast more real dragon's than I ever had playing the spectrum version!

Being able to see the exact state of the arena (top right hand corner of the play screen) makes it very easy to work out your odds of casting a tricky spell.

What I found annoying, to my cost, was the magic attack on my wizard which took my disbelieve spell!!

robin2

What I found annoying, to my cost, was the magic attack on my wizard which took my disbelieve spell!!
I obviously don't know, but I guess in the final game you won't lose your disbelieve spell to a magic attack.
I'd have disbelieve have limited uses though, right now it's too convenient to start disbelieving systematically by the end of the game, which makes casting illusions, especially for defensive creatures that tends to stay alive a lot of turns, a little punishing.

Provided the game will get funded of course ;_;

I obviously don't know, but I guess in the final game you won't lose your disbelieve spell to a magic attack.
I'd have disbelieve have limited uses though, right now it's too convenient to start disbelieving systematically by the end of the game, which makes casting illusions, especially for defensive creatures that tends to stay alive a lot of turns, a little punishing.

Provided the game will get funded of course ;_;

I hope so, because it does become your last line of so called defence.

I can see your point about limiting it and maybe in the lower player count games that could be a good option. I always used to play 8 plyr and I believe they are implementing that again. In that case using a disbelieve spell actually can cost you a lot more than not, unless facing imminent death at the hands of an illusory beastie, of course. Due to the proximity of other wizards being inactive to your personal situation can be costly.

Either way, it needs funding first. Julian has talked about what he would do next if this got funded. So you could easily see this as a stepping stone to seeing other great games getting reworked, Laser Squad/Xcom Reborn anyone? I believe Chaos is worth it for the game itself though. Look at the KS rewards, most people I chat to in game talk about upping their backing after playing the prototype.

Believe ; )

BibiMaghoo

I seem to remember getting a new spell each turn in the original when you run out of spells, but that doesn't happen here, presumably because there is a turn limit that was not present in the original.

I wouldn't mind seeing that return, if nothing else because it adds an element of chance and luck to a wizard that got shit spells, or lost them from damaging spells. As it stands it works great because what you see is what you have, so you need to hold things back for the second half, but I think it does need that random spell back when you are empty.

mclem

I seem to remember getting a new spell each turn in the original when you run out of spells

Pretty sure you didn't. Are you thinking about the Magic Wood functionality (conjure the wood, hide in a tree for n turns, get a random spell, including Turmoil, the one spell only obtainable that way) ? Or maybe I'm not remembering right myself.

BibiMaghoo

Pretty sure you didn't. Are you thinking about the Magic Wood functionality (conjure the wood, hide in a tree for n turns, get a random spell, including Turmoil, the one spell only obtainable that way) ? Or maybe I'm not remembering right myself.

I...don't know :D

I was talking with my brother about this, who used to play it with me, he didn't remember that either, but I swear I remember crossing my fingers and hoping for a good new spell when I run out, but would always get junk lol.

You could be right though, it may have been the forest, but I am about 75% convinced.

It was a long time ago.

It was the spell Magic Wood. Not in the prototype, planned for the full release. It was the only way to gain new spells in the old game. You are right with the hide in for n turns. Used to love that spell.

Not sure about your theory on Turmoil. It was a long time ago. That was a great spell though. When your back was against the wall with nothing left to lose, pulling Turmoil out the bag was ballsy or stupid xD

Now the prototype is open for all;

http://chaos1.vm.bytemark.co.uk/ChaosReborn/client_web.html

Go and try it people. If you like it back it. Remember the intention is to have more content than you see here. SP campaign, RPG elements etc.

Just try it. If you enjoy turn based strategy you can't go wrong.

Back it, only has 5 days left;

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1206403106/chaos-reborn-from-the-creator-of-the-original-x-co

If you do encounter any bugs, or want to make any suggestions you can do so here;

http://www.forum.chaos-reborn.com
Gollop seriously needs to put up a chart to help us understand where the money goes and why he needs 180k to make this happen.

It would help to show what goes where.

IIRC he said 6 or 7 people working for a year. I have no source to back that up though. I think it may be on the Chaos Reborn forums somewhere, but now it's my bedtime. Will have a look tomorrow for you : )

CzarTim

Kicktraq is projecting this falling just short :-( Really hope there's a last minute push. Been having a blast with the prototype.

robin2

Sadly I think it won't make it too.

Maybe the visual style isn't appealing to the crowd? I also frankly find the higher backing options not that appealing.
But still it's shocking seeing other kickstarters racking same-ish (or higher) sums without displaying a core gameplay as solid as this.

Maybe the visual style isn't appealing to the crowd? I also frankly find the higher backing options not that appealing.
But still it's shocking seeing other kickstarters racking same-ish (or higher) sums without displaying a core gameplay as solid as this.

Yeah I am worried it won't make it too. Which will be gutting for me

They are planning that Twitter Thunderclap 48 hours from KS endpoint, so who knows?

Have you seen the new additions to the rewards? Not much I grant you. Basically new beast skins for Lord's and above.

Because I want it to work though I am going to go Wizard King, if you knew me in real life you would realise how out of character it is for me to put $100 on a game without knowing 'exactly' what it is I am getting.

; )

CzarTim

Yeah I am worried it won't make it too. Which will be gutting for me

They are planning that Twitter Thunderclap 48 hours from KS endpoint, so who knows?

Have you seen the new additions to the rewards? Not much I grant you. Basically new beast skins for Lord's and above.

Because I want it to work though I am going to go Wizard King, if you knew me in real life you would realise how out of character it is for me to put $100 on a game without knowing 'exactly' what it is I am getting.

; )

I ended up bumping my tier from $20 to $50 to help. Here's hoping!

mclem

I'm confident it *will* make it. Factor in an endgame spike - which seems to be starting - and it'll get there. In fact, I'll go a bit further: I reckon it'll make £200k.

A word of warning: I am terrible at predicting these things. So there's that.

epmode

It is utterly baffling to me that a gameplay-oriented project from the creator of X-Com struggles while mediocrity like Banner Saga had people lining up to dump their wallets.

Shrug. I'm a huge XCOM fan yet I didn't know Julian Gollop's name until the PR campaign for the reboot started. Chaos Reborn would have done better if the screenshots were as jaw-dropping as The Banner Saga's.

I really like the look of Chaos Reborn, BTW. It's just hard to compete with Eyvind Earle's style.

It is utterly baffling to me that a gameplay-oriented project from the creator of X-Com struggles while mediocrity like Banner Saga had people lining up to dump their wallets.

Banner saga cashed in on the early post-doublefine euphoria

I don't think they'd have got the same amount of cash had they floated it now

Top Bottom