• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chaos Rings III: Prequel Trilogy includes every Chaos Rings

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard good things about these games so I'd probably pick it up on Vita if they decide to release it here. Physical release would be nice, but I seriously doubt they would bother.

Lucifon

This is awesome, sold. Really hoping they do a physical release in the EU. If it's digital I'll still get it, I'll just grumble and moan whilst deleting stuff from my 16gb card.

excellent, will buy if SE actually brings it to US.

I liked the first Chaos Rings, and always felt that it would be better with buttons and an actual control stick.

I wonder if it'll have English subs on the cart. Or if they release a physical version in Asia.

If so, I'm totally importing.

If not, I guess I'll have to cross my fingers for a western PSN release.

Takao

Banned
It's nice to see Square Enix wasn't stupid enough to name something "Prequel Trilogy" and not include the other games.

Foshy

Looks interesting.

Were the first 3 Chaos Rings games any good compared to "classic" console/handheld JRPGs? I know they got some praise, but I can't help shake the (unfair, I know) feeling that it might have been due to lowered standards with it being a mobile game.

Reveirg

Looks interesting.

Were the first 3 Chaos Rings games any good compared to "classic" console/handheld JRPGs? I know they got some praise, but I can't help shake the (unfair, I know) feeling that it might have been due to lowered standards with it being a mobile game.

I only played the first one and sadly it doesn't compare to most console/handheld JRPGs.

There are some good points: nice pre-rendered backgrounds, some semi-interesting puzzles, decent combat, good music and interesting art.

But the game lacks any kind of depth unfortunately. Battles can easily be won using the same strategy, there are only a handful of areas, etc. The story is decent enough.

I'm not sure how Chaos Rings II improves on that, but I hope that III being a Vita game, it'll at least have 2-3x the depth of the first.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The first 2 are still the best examples of mobile RPGs that I've seen and it will be nice to be able to play these games with actual buttons.

Looks interesting.

I've played 1 and Omega and they do definitely feel limited in some ways, combat is fairly basic and easy and can be completely broken by a small amount of grinding, and dungeons are repeated far too much. Omega then reuses a lot of content from the first game as well.

They have decent narratives, music and visuals, but otherwise they're not quite on par with other console games. I did enjoy them, but there are still a lot of flaws. I assume that 2 fixed some of these issues but I'm waiting for prequel trilogy to play that one.

4 games in 1 card?

Yup!

0039_thumb1.jpg

Aexact

Looks interesting.

In terms of gameplay, there's not much depth and there's a lot of repetition. The games are plotted to play the same areas, same enemies, and mostly same boss battles a couple times with different characters but with each set, only the narrative would change meaningfully. Genome Abilities are retained through each pair of characters, trivializing each successive scenario's difficulty.

You can chose the order in which you want to complete the story but the game is linear and has no sidequests. Chaos Rings 1 breaks up combat occasionally with simple puzzle rooms and Chaos Rings 2 has character specific ability prompts to reach new areas of a dungeon. It's easy to unlock turning off the random encounters and completing a game shouldn't take more then 8-10 hours, less for the prequel to Chaos Rings 1, Omega, which reuses a lot of Chaos Rings 1 content.

The pre-rendered backgrounds are lovely, the score is bombastically epic, and the plot and cast play their time-space world saving conflicts and interpersonal drama with straight-faced seriousness so they leave a decent impression anyway. The gameplay is basic and there's a fair amount of Genome abilities to unlock and the first round's enemies and bosses are balanced enough to make you consider if you should use the game's signature Pair Up or not but gameplay isn't much to gush about.

Glad to hear Square Enix doing the right thing and putting all 4 on the cart :p

Now for an English-language Asian version. Or western release!

I still can't believe the Vita version won't just include the PSM releases. I doubt they'll bother making them Vita native apps with trophies.

hongcha

Chaos Rings - 978MB
Chaos Rings Omega - 1GB
Chaos Rings II - 973MB

I don't know how they're going to fit four games onto a 3.5GB card.

The PSM version of Chaos Rings is 653MB, not 978MB. The other two have not been released on Vita yet, so we don't know what their sizes will be. I am guessing ~700MB a piece, which would be about 2.1GB total, leaving 1.4GB for CR3.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
First gameplay footage for the PS Vita version

It's looking good! I'm pleasantly surprised that Square-Enix actually funded a turn-based RPG for VITA. I really hope this gets localized.
Looking good. I dig the new 3D camera-based exploration. Battles look like the standard serviceable CR fare, glad to see that most attacks are still fast enough. Having a team of 3 may change things up and bring more depth though. Hopefully the English version doesn't take long to be released on iOS.

Takao

Banned
The PSM version of Chaos Rings is 653MB, not 978MB. The other two have not been released on Vita yet, so we don't know what their sizes will be. I am guessing ~700MB a piece, which would be about 2.1GB total, leaving 1.4GB for CR3.

I grabbed those figures from Google Play. In hindsight, maybe that wasn't the best of ideas since IIRC those should have a variety of translations embedded in them.

Top Bottom