• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Character models that bug you

Wiseblood

Elf Felicia Day in that Dragon Age 2 DLC:

dragonage22011-10-1416-05-46-85-jpg.jpg

Did they? Miranda is engineered to be "perfect", and as a result, her face is symmetrical. Natural human faces aren't. If someone feels Miranda has uncanny valley effect, i reckon it is quite intentional by BioWare.

Yeah I'm sure they made her face look like shit on purpose.

Morrowind imperial legion guards
always thought maybe it was because they were horrendously low poly or something, then saw the wireframe one day and went "wtf"

then, as the years passed, it became clear that the problem resided with bethesda's modellers. Very good for buildings, but.... not quite as good for people.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Playing Street Fighter V's story mode made me realize how ugly and gross the models are when animated through mocap - I assume it's mo-cap, right? Ingame they look fine from afar and because the animations have been handcrafted, but in cutscenes they're hideous.

Laura's expressions are the stuff of nightmare.

Male models look like slabs of meat with disgusting feet. It's especially apparent when the models have exposed skin, like Ryu and Rashid's feet.

Speaking of Rashid, his beard clips through his chest like crazy every time he tilts his head forward.

The models' teeth also tend to give all the characters this nightmarish, maniacal look. It works on M. Bison because that's his whole character, but Rashid - sorry, I just hate his model and design - looks like the Joker.

Sean's hair in the the story cutscenes acts like rubber springs. It's ridiculous.

And, as others have said, Ken and Vega just look plain ugly.

At least Cammy is gorgeous.

18280019534_ba4ac90e1a_b.jpg

Zelda character designs have been almost intolerable to me since OoT. Granted on the N64 some of their hideous human models could be attributed to the limitations of the system, but then they went and apparently decided that the "style" of 3D Zeldas was to populate them with horribly proportioned, occasionally repulsive, alcoholic subhumans.

character_collage___wind_waker_by_indiliel-d4srs3c.jpg

Twilight Princess tried to right the ship somewhat, but you still had someone sign off on these design, among others.

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20050722111237006_640w.jpg

00490.jpg

Then Skyward Sword backslid from what modicum of normalcy we got with TP.

i_31014.jpg

I fucking hate Zelda NPCs from the past 15 years.

You and me both, buddy. Zelda designs have been atrocious for ages.

Akronis

always thought maybe it was because they were horrendously low poly or something, then saw the wireframe one day and went "wtf"

then, as the years passed, it became clear that the problem resided with bethesda's modellers. Very good for buildings, but.... not quite as good for people.

God damn that dude has no neck and looks like he ate raw lemons.

Tyaren

Since many in here are lambasting Street Fighter V's models now, and considering how much praise they got before the game's launch, and then looking at a game like King of Fighters XIV, which was lambasted for it's poor graphics from the moment it was first shown, I'd like to point out how beautifully modelled KoFXIV models actually are compared to SFV's. No single polygon edge in sight:

kof14-screenshot-july12.jpg

kof14-screenshot-nightmare-geese.jpg

I'm not a fan of the art style they chose for this game and of many of the character designs, but to everyone who called these PS2 graphics I call BS. ;)

Rellik

FemShep in Mass Effect 1 has the shoulder width of Brock Lesnar and the neck of a giraffe. It's distracting when walking around the Normandy.

Haunted

This mod isn't perfect, but it mitigates most of the damage. Looking a little plastic is an improvement over what's in the actual game.
tumblr_o9a9xmF6vx1usrgjso3_540.gif
That literally looks like he had some facial surgery done in-game.

Genius, if that's what they were going for.

That's no speculation.
The right pod is actually the real Lavos Core. The humanoid figure is just there to distract you, it is just a decoy.

I thought it was really clever.

The center bit does not have a face. It just has a single eye inside of the helmet-like head.

....my childhood is rocked. ROCKED I SAY!
i saw the dog in a suit too

Also i cannot for the life of me see Agahnims sprite correctly

Shin-Ra

maxresdefault.jpg

This isn't the worst shot of it, but Doc Brown's model in Back to the Future: The Game bugged me so much. The stylization in that game was hit or miss to begin with, but they went in the wrong direction for him for me.
His index finger looks like a winky.

retroman

Let's take a look at the original Golden Axe:

large.jpg

About fifteen years later, a remake was released for the PS2. Here's what that looked like:

playstation-35473-41317364261.jpg

Here's a closer look at the characters:

86139-sega-ages-2500-vol-5-golden-axe-playstation-2-screenshot-character.jpg

Shameful.

aBarreras

thats totally william dafoe

Since DetectiveGaf let me down, I found the game from my post...Vandal Hearts. Longtime PSOne Classic. Early games and art looked solid, but later on...nope. Just nope. I never played the games, but the character models look atrocious.
Early game:
wf17Ns8.jpg

Later game:
g4D2KTs.jpg

GLorQyM.jpg

-snip-... and moonwalk out of there.
Glad to a we another person is familiar with the elegance of moonwalking out of awkward situations. Stand by your guns...just not Overwatches. You aren't alone, I'm not that keen on the game either. I'm sure there are plenty more of us out there somewhere....DOZENS!!!

laxu

I'd say a lot of the complaints in this thread could fall into the character models - excluding those Xenosaga anime characters with mumps - actually being more realistic than we think.

Let's face it, we humans come in variety of configurations and many aren't pretty. In general I feel character modelers don't often take into account that people have things like under-/overbite, large foreheads, weird noses or other features that are a bit off just as we can have longer or shorter arms, legs or backs.

Often character models end up with doll-like appearances because they represent an "ideal" human which just doesn't exist.

SoulUnison

Banned
The female character model in Digimon Cyber Sleuth. It looks like she is constantly arcing her back to jut out her breasts. Stand properly ffs

gVZw4VV.jpg

Every female character in that game, or even by the same character designer (Suzuhito Yasuda, I think) is TERRIBLE.

He is the most insulting, pandering character artist that's ever existed.

Every girl in Digimon Cyber Sleuth looks like they've been vacuum packed into their clothing. Why can I see belly buttons through everyone's shirts? Why is everything every girl wears somehow tighter than skin-tight?

And his Devil Survivor character designs... Every girl looks like they have some kind of horrible, terminal double-tumor on their chest, or like they're trying to smuggle Madonna's cone bra. His entire design philosophy seems to be "Take a teenage girl, give them a middle aged woman's body and a runway model's breasts, then cover them in whatever the tightest scraps are leftover on the floor of the wardrobe department."

I've seen doodles on middle school student's notepads that have more class and restraint than this man's garbage.

Just look at this shit.

That last one is a high school girl! What sort of parents let her out of the house like that? Why does anyone take her seriously? I sure fucking couldn't and haven't finished the game because of it.

This guy's art is so bad I actively refuse to buy games he's participated in. I skipped Devil Survivor 2 after mostly enjoying the first one because of his designs.
If I'd know beforehand he was the main artist of Digimon Cyber Sleuth I never would have purchased it.

On the topic of 3D Zelda models, I try to focus on the best ones after the N64 days. Twilight Princess has good models, but bad ones too. Same for Skyward Sword, but I prefer SS's overall.

AEREC

Pretty much half the character models in Street Fighter V...most of them are great aside from the ones that have serious clipping issues.

Freaking Dhalsims shorts are clipping through his legs in his nuetral stance...its really sloppy. Still love the game though.

Other than that Rayman always bugged me from a design standpoint.

-shadow-

Tsubasa in Tokyo Mirage Sessions looks fine a lot of the time. But depending on her stance or when the camera focuses on her side/is spinning around her I absolutely can't stop and look at her breasts. I can't put my finger on why, but they look really off, especially whenever she awakens a new power.

I can't find a good photo, but this should kind of do.

x360-Coz.jpg

Samus' Metroid Prime 2 model will haunt me forever.
mp2_ending2.jpg
And she still looks really off in Corruption. Though it's even worse there because she removes her helmet on multiple occasions. Even worse is they they did have an amazing rendition of her in Hunters.

I'll never understand why they moved away from the amazing model they had for the first Prime game. Because that one is by far the best. Tanabe or Sakamoto wanting a more cartoonish style I presume?

Yvette from NBA 2K16's story mode didn't seem to make the digital transition from actress to character model all that well.
eUILO5Z.jpg

actress Anya Engel-Adams
GGDReFJ.jpg

Since DetectiveGaf let me down, I found the game from my post...Vandal Hearts. Longtime PSOne Classic. Early games and art looked solid, but later on...nope. Just nope. I never played the games, but the character models look atrocious.
Early game:
wf17Ns8.jpg

Later game:
g4D2KTs.jpg

GLorQyM.jpg

Glad to a we another person is familiar with the elegance of moonwalking out of awkward situations. Stand by your guns...just not Overwatches. You aren't alone, I'm not that keen on the game either. I'm sure there are plenty more of us out there somewhere....DOZENS!!!

Ok real talk people. What do the words "character model" refer to? I'm seeing people post sprites and now straight up 2D art pieces. A lot of the complaints in here also have nothing to do with the quality of 3d modeling present and everything to do with the character design.

Too bad for you. They've already shown everyone appearing in the game. This is in no way a spoiler. Guess what? Junpei is in it, too.
Damn dude, what crawled up your ass? Some people did avoid media for the game because of spoilers casually being dropped.

So yes, thanks for spoiling shit for no reason.

"They used the highest magics on us," she continued in a muted voice, "spells, elixirs, amulets, and artifacts. Nothing was left wanting for the wounded heroes of the Hill. We were cured, patched up, our former appearances returned to us, our hair and sight restored. You can hardly see the marks. But I will never wear a plunging neckline again, Geralt. Never." - Triss Merigold, Blood of Elves

Fast forward to Witcher 1
Triss.JPG

And Witcher 3 DLC
The%20Witcher%203%20free%20dlc%20Triss.png

Astral Dog

Tsubasa in Tokyo Mirage Sessions looks fine a lot of the time. But depending on her stance or when the camera focuses on her side/is spinning around her I absolutely can't stop and look at her breasts. I can't put my finger on why, but they look really off, especially whenever she awakens a new power.

I can't find a good photo, but this should kind of do.

x360-Coz.jpg

And she still looks really off in Corruption. Though it's even worse there because she removes her helmet on multiple occasions. Even worse is they they did have an amazing rendition of her in Hunters.

I'll never understand why they moved away from the amazing model they had for the first Prime game. Because that one is by far the best. Tanabe or Sakamoto wanting a more cartoonish style I presume?

yeah that MP2 model is hideous, and MP3 not much better, ironically the best looking 3D Samus models come from Other M and Hunters.

I think, Nintendo probably did wanted to have a cohesive version of Samus across all games (Zero Suit, blonde) and that can be done well (like the MPH ending) but it backfired a bit, the Smash Brother Brawl Samus is also ugly.

Loxley

Elle Fanning Fish-face Kristen Bell in Assassin's Creed 2:

0NlHyT6.png

For whatever reason it was a noticeable downgrade from her model in AC1:

lUn4oA2.jpg

Top Bottom