• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charter schools in line to get extra help despite Trump plan to slash education fund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Charter schools in California and elsewhere stand to be a major beneficiary of President Donald Trump’s proposed budget for the coming year, even though he wants to slash $9.2 billion from many other federal education programs.

Trump called for $1.4 billion in new funding for a “school choice” program that includes an increase of $250 million to subsidize tuition for private schools and $168 million for expanding charter schools. An additional $1 billion is for a program that would allow students to attend a public school of their choice, which could include charter schools. Trump has provided no details for any of these programs.

The extra $168 million for charter schools represents a 50 percent expansion of the Charter Schools Program from its current level of $333 million. The bulk of the funds are shared with states to support new charter schools. Two other grants within the program support the expansion of charter networks and facilities costs. The funds given to states can be spent on purchasing classroom equipment, such as laptops for students and desks, informing parents that schools are opening and training school staff.

https://edsource.org/2017/despite-a...chools-in-line-to-get-additional-funds/578995

If I can no longer get the Pell grant, I no longer have reason to live. Lo and behold, he wants to cut funding from that dramatically, too.

Cornered animals are particularly dangerous. You never know what they might do. The thought scares me. This drive to get an education is the only thing separating me from my brother, who is in prison, and my sister, who sells her body. There is nothing else here.

Krakn3Dfx

Davros: Lifelong advocate for rich children and better private schools.
Davros_Wisher.png

Kthulhu

If you still thought that charter schools were a good thing, this should be more than enough proof that they aren't.

Tripon

If you still thought that charter schools were a good thing, this should be more than enough proof that they aren't.
What. I know I'm going to regret this, but explain your logic. It's like claiming if the Military is evil because they also having increased funding under the Trump admin proposed budget.

I am a board member of a charter school and this is not good. Do not cut public school funding and prop up charter schools. So many charter schools pop up in cities with intentions on making as much money as possible regardless of the practices used and the education delivered.

There are great charter schools out there and there are definitely the Trump University of charter schools out there. This promotes more Trump Universities.

There's a reason that they are estimating to spend 1 million dollars a month to protect Davos. She's literally attacking Americans.

Federal marshals are protecting Education Secretary Betsy DeVos at a cost to her agency of nearly $8 million over nearly eight months, according to the U.S. Marshals Service.

The Education Department has agreed to reimburse the marshals $7.78 million for their services from mid-February to the end of September, said a marshals spokeswoman — an average of about $1 million per month.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/the-cost-of-betsy-devoss-security-detail-1-million-per-month/2017/04/07/efa01488-1ade-11e7-9887-1a5314b56a08_story.html?utm_term=.c2962b4d302c

PKrockin

So has the right completely abandoned the idea that education is supposed to be the great equalizer in this country that allows for great generational mobility? Or are they pretending poor single mothers can just pick up and move away from their support network into expensive housing to get their kids into better schools?

Arttemis

Mother fucking FILTH. Stripping the public's primary source of education to fund increasingly DEregulated unofficially-for-profit organizations that are already dangerously inconsistent and rife with corruption.

platakul

Banned
Why did Obama like charter schools so much?
The democrats are no different on education than republicans. Race to the Top was as shitty as No Child Left Behind. They are both charter school boosters and big testing advocates because surprise surprise that's where the money is

In case you were wondering why Charter Schools suck:

John Oliver on Charter Schools

He paints charter schools with a broad brush. Like, there are traditional public schools where superintendents and other officials embezzle money, too. There just needs to be more oversight for charter schools in certain areas (like Ohio, as he mentioned). There are plenty of non-profit public charter schools that do great work. They make sense for large urban areas.

Now, I'm skeptical of what the Trump administration wants to do with charter schools and private schools. But that's not a problem with charter schools specifically.

Arttemis

He paints charter schools with a broad brush. Like, there are traditional public schools where superintendents and other officials embezzle money, too. There just needs to be more oversight for charter schools in certain areas (like Ohio, as he mentioned). There are plenty of non-profit public charter schools that do great work. They make sense for large urban areas.

Now, I'm skeptical of what the Trump administration wants to do with charter schools and private schools. But that's not a problem with charter schools specifically.
He points out that the needs to be FAR more regulation. Trump has done nothing but sign laws overturning federal regulation and preventing its return. That broad brush is going to look like a fine line compared to the ocean of federally fueled corruption on the horizon.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Sure. Not specifically. But you're talking about exceptions to a disastrous rule whose primary intent at a corporate and government level is to erode and eliminate public education. Anyone who believes otherwise is naive or disingenuous.

And this secretary of education will speed that process.

He points out that the needs to be FAR more regulation. Trump has done nothing but sign laws overturning federal regulation and preventing its return. That broad brush is going to look like a fine line compared to the ocean of federally fueled corruption on the horizon.

Charter schools are generally regulated by the individual states (or even cities/municipalities) themselves, not the federal government.

Sure. Not specifically. But you're talking about exceptions to a disastrous rule whose primary intent at a corporate and government level is to erode and eliminate public education. Anyone who believes otherwise is naive or disingenuous.

And this secretary of education will speed that process.

Right, I just take issue with statements like "This is why charter schools are bad." I have an issue with the Trump administration doing this, but when Obama did the same thing I don't see it as being problematic. Charter schools aren't universally bad and certainly aren't as evil as some people like to portray them as.

If I can no longer get the Pell grant, I no longer have reason to live. Lo and behold, he wants to cut funding from that dramatically, too.

Cornered animals are particularly dangerous. You never know what they might do. The thought scares me. This drive to get an education is the only thing separating me from my brother, who is in prison, and my sister, who sells her body. There is nothing else here.

Hang in there man. I see you struggling but don't give up.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Its about time our schools were run like businesses! *barf*

Literally fucking over kids to jump start an industry for these rich fucks to profit from.

Arttemis

Charter schools are generally regulated by the individual states (or even cities/municipalities) themselves, not the federal government.

Right, I just take issue with statements like "This is why charter schools are bad." I have an issue with the Trump administration doing this, but when Obama did the same thing I don't see it as being problematic. Charter schools aren't universally bad and certainly aren't as evil as some people like to portray them as.
There's a fundamental problem, then, and perhaps federal regulation of how money is handled is what's needed before public education is cut in favor of charter schools. Federal money shouldn't be going to systems so inconsistent and exploitable.

Piecake

Thankfully, that budget is not going to pass or even be put forward in congress. And even if by some miracle that it does, it isn't going to get 60 votes in the senate

There's a fundamental problem, then, and perhaps federal regulation of how money is handled is what's needed before public education is cut in favor of charter schools. Federal money shouldn't be going to systems so inconsistent and exploitable.

It's not a 1:1 cut of public education for increased charter school spending, though. $1 billion of the proposed increase - which is the vast majority - is going to be used for public education school choice. Which is another topic entirely and has its own positives and negatives, but it has little if anything to do with privatization of education or cutting public education in favor charter schools.

But regular public schools can also be inconsistent with use of funds! Search around for public school embezzlement - it's not an especially rare thing.

The fundamental problem is that people who get put in charge of large amounts of money will sometimes do illegal and unethical things with that money. It's not exclusive to privately run institutions.

Linkura

I'm down with quality charter schools like the ones we have here in MA. I'm not down with reducing funding by billions for other quality public educational programs while increasing funding to public charter schools and private schools. That's straight up bullshit. School choice is a scam.

Marquis

Banned
Funds should not be cut for any grants or public schooling, but I'm all for more money towards charter schools.

Foffy

Banned
So has the right completely abandoned the idea that education is supposed to be the great equalizer in this country that allows for great generational mobility? Or are they pretending poor single mothers can just pick up and move away from their support network into expensive housing to get their kids into better schools?

The right believes in a socioeconomically just system that inequality and have nots are normalized. This only emphasizes that.

You lack money? You're an unworthy. This includes access to education.

Commodify my post if I'm wrong.

all charter schools are bullshit meant to funnel more money to the rich, segregate communities, and lower educational standards.

safe to say anyone that benefits from a trump presidency is a garbage person.

Polari

Charter schools are fine as long as you can monitor their performance adequately, and act decisively when they fall below the standards expected. Same as private prisons. Too often this has been proven to not be the case though.

Charter schools are fine as long as you can monitor their performance adequately, and act decisively when they fall below the standards expected. Same as private prisons. Too often this has been proven to not be the case though.

Completely, utterly, and abhorrently wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom