• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ChatGPT and the (near) future of AI

Banned
german Bing gave me a surprisingly spicy joke, which I didn't expect lol

TyBEPlU.png

"what's the difference between a Snowman and a Snowwoman? The Snowballs"

yes, all things considered an old and tame joke for most people, but I didn't expect that microsoft would let Bing do jokes like that lol

Cyberpunkd

In terms of other jobs, I keep thinking how every time we employ a new developer. It takes so much of my time to get them up to shape. Fresh employees are so fucking hard to train and plan for. But with AI we can train them up so much faster and allow them to become so much more productive.
Those suckers that spent 5 years in school thinking they will have good careers!
I’m sure many Western countries have complex re-training programs that allow people to change their careers in their 30s, 40s, 50s!

Oh wait, they don’t.

In a world of constantly overstressed and overworked humans, AI is gonna be a godsend. I can understand the fear of all jobs going extinct and stuff like that.

But the reality is this is gonna make it so much easier to learn... Literally anything.

The ability to ask an infinite amount of questions and clarifications for anything is gonna be revolutionary for learning. We have a massive teacher shortage with 1 teacher having to teach 40 kids. Augmenting a classroom with AI chatbots that can be used by each student simultaneously, used to clarify any questions they are too self conscious to ask a teacher about.

In terms of other jobs, I keep thinking how every time we employ a new developer. It takes so much of my time to get them up to shape. Fresh employees are so fucking hard to train and plan for. But with AI we can train them up so much faster and allow them to become so much more productive.

Yeah. The world will completely change.

But the way the world is going, it NEEDS to change.
How are you so optimistic, and dare I say, naïve? The heart of learning has never been in the tools, sure they help, but it's down to the individual. Have you learned nothing about the rise of the internet followed by the rise of the smartphone? People, including their creators, said nearly the exact same thing about the potential of those, of having vast, instant knowledge at the tip of your fingers. About how it's going to open us up to new levels of freedom and knowledge. Oh man it's going to improve humanity, oh man people are going to get smarter... In the beginning, for for a small number of truly curious, yeah. But look where we are now. Look what most people use these things for. Look at the division, the bickering. Look how regurgitated the content has become, how few players control everything. Just like back in the real world. Humans are lazy. Humans are greedy. Humans don't learn anything unless they absolutely have to. And even then, they often do not.

The world is going to change, but not necessarily for the better. Technology changes. Humans never change.

Raonak

Banned
How are you so optimistic, and dare I say, naïve? The heart of learning has never been in the tools, sure they help, but it's down to the individual. Have you learned nothing about the rise of the internet followed by the rise of the smartphone? People, including their creators, said nearly the exact same thing about the potential of those, of having vast, instant knowledge at the tip of your fingers. About how it's going to open us up to new levels of freedom and knowledge. Oh man it's going to improve humanity, oh man people are going to get smarter... In the beginning, for for a small number of truly curious, yeah. But look where we are now. Look what most people use these things for. Look at the division, the bickering. Look how regurgitated the content has become, how few players control everything. Just like back in the real world. Humans are lazy. Humans are greedy. Humans don't learn anything unless they absolutely have to. And even then, they often do not.

The world is going to change, but not necessarily for the better. Technology changes. Humans never change.

My optimism is the reality I see.
Whether you believe it or not, the world as a whole is far more informed and educated than pre-internet. the internet, google, wikipedia, youtube tutorials, you can even go back to the printing press and the mainstream distribution of books in general. All these advancements were revolutionary. It's so much easier to learn details about anything. And AI is only gonna make it easier to learn by allowing people to harness the sum of human knowledge and condense it down to a tutor like experience that's customised to your own learning style and even your own language. In a world of increasing classroom sizes and teacher shortages, this is gonna be vital. Sure, people are gonna use it for entertainment and fighting too, but that's the nature of innovation.

Contrary to your own claims, humans are constantly changing. We are masters at adapting to new technology.
The world is gonna change, whether you think it's better or worse is all about your own mental perception of things.
Because from what I can see, the world is legitimately a better, and more interesting place than it ever was, but others will say the opposite.

Last edited:

Chaplain

Video: The AI revolution: Google's developers on the future of artificial intelligence | 60 Minutes
0:29: Google's chatbot, Bard, has the ability to generate content and summarize human knowledge at superhuman speeds.
7:08: AI is not sentient, but it can exhibit behaviors that resemble human-like thinking and judgment.
10:43: Google introduces AI language model, Bard, with safety filters to screen hate speech and bias.
5:29: Self-learning robots and AI programs are developing creative strategies and have practical implications for various industries.
20:00: The rise of artificial intelligence and its capabilities.
25:10: The development of AI raises important questions about human values and morality, and society must adapt with regulations and treaties to ensure its safety.

SaintALia

This seems the most relevant topic for this post if anyone cares to read. I can read it but I'm not sure if it will be paywalled for some:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech..._medium=email&utm_source=alert&location=alert

I'll post a snippet here:
'To look inside this black box, we analyzed Google’s C4 data set, a massive snapshot of the contents of 15 million websites that have been used to instruct some high-profile English-language AIs, called large language models, including Google’s T5 and Facebook’s LLaMA. (OpenAI does not disclose what datasets it uses to train the models backing its popular chatbot, ChatGPT)
The Post worked with researchers at the Allen Institute for AI on this investigation and categorized the websites using data from Similarweb, a web analytics company. About a third of the websites could not be categorized, mostly because they no longer appear on the internet. Those are not shown.

Hover over the boxes above to view the top sites in each category
We then ranked the remaining 10 million websites based on how many “tokens” appeared from each in the data set. Tokens are small bits of text used to process disorganized information — typically a word or phrase.

Wikipedia to Wowhead​

The data set was dominated by websites from industries including journalism, entertainment, software development, medicine and content creation, helping to explain why these fields may be threatened by the new wave of artificial intelligence. The three biggest sites were patents.google.com No. 1, which contains text from patents issued around the world; wikipedia.org No. 2, the free online encyclopedia; and scribd.com No. 3, a subscription-only digital library. Also high on the list: b-ok.org No. 190, a notorious market for pirated e-books that has since been seized by the U.S. Justice Department. At least 27 other sites identified by the U.S. government as markets for piracy and counterfeits were present in the data set.
Some top sites seemed arbitrary, like wowhead.com No. 181, a World of Warcraft player forum; thriveglobal.com No. 175, a product for beating burnout founded by Arianna Huffington; and at least 10 sites that sell dumpsters, including dumpsteroid.com No. 183, that no longer appear accessible.'

Last edited:

Salz01

I don’t know how to feel about this. That Michael song sounds sort of like a younger version of himself. It’s still a little off. Most likely will get up even better. And then pairing it with chat gpt to create sort of new content and lyrics, and you have a new MJ album. Which I would want to hear. People and the music company will freak out and ban this shit though.

Last edited:

Salz01

I’m like what….
A certain site has soft banned people from talking about chat got and stable diffusion? Nazi world? I can’t read their reasoning because their fucking banner takes me to mageseeker marketing content…. Fuck nuts.

Chaplain

Video: AI: The Coming Thresholds and The Path We Must Take | Internationally Acclaimed Cognitive Scientist
Philosopher John Vervaeke lays out a multifaceted argument discussing the potential uses, thresholds, and calamities that may occur due to the increase in artificial intelligence systems. While there is a lot of mention of GPT and other chatbots, this argument is meant to be seen as confronting the principles of AI, AGI, and any other forms of Artificial Intelligence. First, Dr. Vervaeke lays out an overview of his argument while also contextualizing the conversation. Dr. Vervaeke then explores the scientific ramifications and potentialities. Lastly, Dr. Vervaeke concludes in the philosophical realm and ends the argument with a strong and stern message that we face a kairos, potentially the greatest that the world has ever seen. Dr. Vervaeke is also joined in this video essay by Ryan Barton, the Executive Director of the Vervaeke Foundation, as well as Eric Foster, the Media Director at the Vervaeke Foundation.

Video: Max Tegmark: The Case for Halting AI Development | Lex Fridman Podcast
1:56 - Intelligent alien civilizations
14:20 - Life 3.0 and superintelligent AI
25:47 - Open letter to pause Giant AI Experiments
50:54 - Maintaining control
1:19:44 - Regulation
1:30:34 - Job automation
1:39:48 - Elon Musk
2:01:31 - Open source
2:08:01 - How AI may kill all humans
2:18:32 - Consciousness
2:27:54 - Nuclear winter
2:38:21 - Questions for AGI

Tams

Sam Altman is having a pretty good showing at the Senate hearing right now.

Last edited:

Ownage

Most of the fear mongering you hear is marketing hype. AI is at least five years away from any concern over taking jobs. But it is a reminder to pivot to knowing how to use the tool for best practices.

Hugare

I havent used CHatGPT for a month

Used it yesterday and notcied that they've added an option to "Keep Writting" when it gets stuck when what its was writting got too long

This is game changing, for me

I've used to ask him to write a python script, and when it got stuck due to its length, I would ask "now give me the final half of the code" so I would stitch then together

Also, have you guys watched Google I/O?

Last edited:

Tams

I havent used CHatGPT for a month

Used it yesterday and notcied that they've added an option to "Keep Writting" when it gets stuck when what its was writting got too long

This is game changing, for me

I've used to ask him to write a python script, and when it got stuck due to its length, I would ask "now give me the final half of the code" so I would stitch then together

Also, have you guys watched Google I/O?

Asking it would often cause it to go odd too, repeating lines or starting over. So that's a pretty big improvement.

Fools idol

Banned
Most of the fear mongering you hear is marketing hype. AI is at least five years away from any concern over taking jobs. But it is a reminder to pivot to knowing how to use the tool for best practices.

no it isn't. We fired 7 people this week as their tasks can be completed by AI and scripts running on a single bot, costing next to nothing. We aren't the only company either.

Most low level tech and software jobs are already obsolete to chatgpt.

no it isn't. We fired 7 people this week as their tasks can be completed by AI and scripts running on a single bot, costing next to nothing. We aren't the only company either.

Most low level tech and software jobs are already obsolete to chatgpt.

The thing is soon companies won't even have to rely on external companies like openai. The quality of open source models is rapidly increasing.

Now such large models likely need a ton of vram, but I suspect a powerful apu, like the rumored nextgen ryzen apus, can likely be used benefiting from the higher limits on main ram.

Note on the above model, while it beats original gpt4, gpt4 has been updated after that and is even higher quality

Last edited:

Tams

The thing is soon companies won't even have to rely on external companies like openai. The quality of open source models is rapidly increasing.

Now such large models likely need a ton of vram, but I suspect a powerful apu, like the rumored nextgen ryzen apus, can likely be used benefiting from the higher limits on main ram.

Note on the above model, while it beats original gpt4, gpt4 has been updated after that and is even higher quality

That's one reason why my next laptop that's on order has 64GB of RAM. Sure, a desktop with even more RAM would be significantly better, but it'll still be helpful (and portable).

That's one reason why my next laptop that's on order has 64GB of RAM. Sure, a desktop with even more RAM would be significantly better, but it'll still be helpful (and portable).
Sounds good, but I think only apus can make proper use of main ram for ai applications. So it likely needs to be apu based.

Top Bottom