• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Check out my awesome PS3 case mod!

Just kidding. I'm a fucking idiot and Dragon's Dogma broke my PS3.

I recently purchased a used copy of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. I'd been meaning to give the game another shot (I was not a huge fan back when it originally released) and with a long weekend ahead I figured it was as good a time as any to revisit it. I played the game and had a pretty good time! I was warming up to it, at least.

Then, because I had some friends coming over, I wanted to put in Rock Band. I pressed the eject button and was immediately greeted by a horrible grinding sound. The disc was stuck. Initially, I wasn't too worried, because I knew that the PS3 Slim actually has a screw built in under the disc drive that can manually force games out (useful for when consoles are sent in for repairs and such). I flipped the console over and got a screwdriver.

No dice.

Now I was anxious. The game just wouldn't come out, no matter what I tried. Forums suggested holding down the eject button and slowly rotating the console around. Nope. Others suggested tilting the PS3 on its nose and pressing eject. Nope. There was even a Sony help thread filled with people with similar problems who managed to remove stuck discs by putting another disc with tape attached to it into the slot. Nope.

So, here's where I got desperate. My PS3 is old and used. I didn't quite care enough to send the console in for repairs and wait who knows how long. So, I started doing some research on how to take apart a PS3 Slim. It actually seemed really easy - there are screws that hold the "lid" of the console onto the base, and removing those should allow for easy access to the innards. After reading a few articles and watching some videos, I decided, shit, why not. I'm going to bust open this bad boy and get inside the disc drive. Bye bye, warranty sticker! This couldn't possibly backfire!

So, that was my first terrible decision, but it wasn't quite apparent yet. I removed all the screws I needed to, removed the hard drive cover and HDD, and then moved to remove the lid. It should come off easily, right? It did in all the videos!

No, of course not. As soon as I lifted the lid up, something started resisting. The front ridge with the power and eject buttons became warped almost instantly, as if something was holding the front of the lid down and bending. I tried to put the lid back, so I could reconsider my stupid plan.

Oh, no, just kidding, the lid wouldn't go back down without bending at the front in an equally horrifying manner. I was past the point of no fucking return.

I tried to examine what the hell was actually holding the lid so stubbornly to the front of the console. I couldn't find anything online, and as I re-read my instructions, I couldn't find anything I'd missed. I'd removed all the screws. I'd taken the HDD out. What was going on? Well, apparently, some PS3 Slims have a set of star screws running along the lip of the console. One of these screws, on some models, connects to the lid. By pulling the lid up and out from the back, I had essentially yanked a screw up through the lip of the Slim, which was holding onto a now-really-awfully-bent peg. I couldn't put it back down, and I couldn't remove the thing cleanly. This PS3 needed a back-alley Mafia surgery, or it was going to forever look like it had an open suicide door.

So, check it out. Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair:

punrGnA.jpg

look at my dope-ass hot rod PS3, accidentally crafted by a grade-A fucking moron.

BUVbG9G.jpg

Behold the lid of the PS3, complete with screw that was forcefully yanked out of this poor console, as well as a split disc drive cover that snapped as I ripped the top off like a big plastic band-aid. By the way, it turns out the disc drive on the PS3 Slim is super blocked off, and there's probably no way I could have gotten in there anyway. All of this plan was for nothing.

But wait! There's more. Guess what happened as soon as I plugged my amputated console back in and fired it up.

No, really, go on, guess.

If you guessed "the fucking Dragon's Dogma disc came out didn't it you absolute fucklord," yes, you're correct! After groaning a bit, the PS3 spat out Dragon's Dogma. I guess I tortured the poor thing into giving me what I wanted. If I had kept on rotating and flipping the PS3 while hammering the eject button, all of this could probably have been avoided.

By the way, besides being a hilarious monument to my dumb ass, this thread is a warning: make sure that any discs you put in your consoles are gunk free! The used copy of Dragon's Dogma I put in my PS3 actually had a ring of goop - presumably from a video store rental sticker or something that had been removed by Gamestop - around the hole.

3kqEczM.jpg

This is probably what caused this nightmare. I'd go in and have some strong words with the store manager, but at this point 90% of the damage done was my fault, so I think I'm just going to live with my kit-car PS3 and my shame.

Poor PS3. :(

That really sucks man. Planning on replacing it?

I'm honestly not sure. I have other consoles, and I mainly use my PS3 for retro stuff from PSN and the odd multiplayer game. It still works just fine (so far at least) without its hat, so I can probably live with it. I'm certainly not in a hurry to replace it for $150+ if this is really only a cosmetic issue now.

Whoa man that sounds really lewd :S

Does it at least work well? On the plus side at least now your console has the best ventilation system!

Yep, so far it's been running The Warriors just fine.

One time I complained to Capcom about SSF2 freezing my SNES and they sent me a bunch of gold Street Fighter coins.

I'm not saying that will work this time but they'll probably hire you to make DMC5.

Kilau

Gold Member
I had to open up my PS3 slim and replace the blu-ray laser
I swear Uncharted 3 killed it
so actually opening up the blu-ray drive isn't that hard once you figure out how to deal with the cables.

Your poor PS3 looks savaged :(

I've had to open mine up at least 3 times to frankenstein it back to life. If the lid is all that was damaged it should't be to expensive to replace. You can still fully use it without the lid but it can be noisey and that cant be good after a while becasue of dust and stuff

I'm actually thinking of cutting all the pegs and tabs off of the inside of the lid and just putting it back on top of the console.

kuYuri

I'm honestly not sure. I have other consoles, and I mainly use my PS3 for retro stuff from PSN and the odd multiplayer game. It still works just fine (so far at least) without its hat, so I can probably live with it. I'm certainly not in a hurry to replace it for $150+ if this is really only a cosmetic issue now.

Oh cool, so it does still work at least. Well, might as well get your mileage out of it!

A similar thing happened with my PS3. Well kinda.
Anyway, I bought Catherine and it had a ring of goop too, guessing from a sticker, put it into my PS3 and played for a bit. When I was done I ejected, nothing. It wouldn't give me back the game! I started panicking a bit and kept pressing eject until it finally gave me back my disc. I was so scared of playing Catherine afterwards.

ThunderReign

Neo Member
I just realised that if the security screws are the only ones that broke you can probably just put it back together with the normal screws since the security screws are ment more for preventing entry rather than holding the thing together. I did this myself when I was sick of taking them out.

A similar thing happened with my PS3. Well kinda.
Anyway, I bought Catherine and it had a ring of goop too, guessing from a sticker, put it into my PS3 and played for a bit. When I was done I ejected, nothing. It wouldn't give me back the game! I started panicking a bit and kept pressing eject until it finally gave me back my disc. I was so scared of playing Catherine afterwards.

the real moral here is stickers are the devil

Reule

Shit looks tight, man. One day I'm going to crack open my phat PS3 and try to fix it. It still sits underneath my Slim and my PS4 waiting for it's resurrection. I'm sure I'll run into similar trouble.

Weird gunk isn't just limited to used discs. Everyone should check their discs even if it's new. I bought Uncharted 3 at launch on midnight. I come home and play about three hours of it until I hit a cut scene where it just kept freezing. I tried deleting the install and almost deleted my save before I checked the disc. Seems like it had some weird manufacturing gunk from the case or when it was printed. Cleaned it off and everything was great.

antibolo

Banned
That happened to me once (used disc had sticky gunk on it). It was on a OG PS3 though, which handled it somewhat more gracefully and I was able to take it out without dismantling it, but it was a bit scary.

I cleaned up the gunk with generic cleaning fluid and it was ok after that.

BibiMaghoo

Today you learned the valuable lesson of not forcing something you are taking apart. If it needs force and not a jiggle, something is still screwed in.

On the plus side, you have a working PS3 still no? Just a cool modified one. You can tell people you don't like the standard top, and are making a new one.

Forever.

Top Bottom