• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheney Attempting to Constrain Bush's Choices on Iran Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the highly regarded Steve Clemons there is this on the Iranian front:

There is a race currently underway between different flanks of the administration to determine the future course of US-Iran policy.

On one flank are the diplomats, and on the other is Vice President Cheney's team and acolytes -- who populate quite a wide swath throughout the American national security bureaucracy.

The Pentagon and the intelligence establishment are providing support to add muscle and nuance to the diplomatic effort led by Condi Rice, her deputy John Negroponte, Under Secretary of State R. Nicholas Burns, and Legal Adviser John Bellinger. The support that Director of National Intelligence Mike McConnell, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, and CIA Director Michael Hayden are providing Rice's efforts are a complete, 180 degree contrast to the dysfunction that characterized relations between these institutions before the recent reshuffle of top personnel.

However, the Department of Defense and national intelligence sector are also preparing for hot conflict. They believe that they need to in order to convince Iran's various power centers that the military option does exist.

But this is worrisome. The person in the Bush administration who most wants a hot conflict with Iran is Vice President Cheney. The person in Iran who most wants a conflict is Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Iran's Revolutionary Guard Quds Force would be big winners in a conflict as well -- as the political support that both have inside Iran has been flagging.

Multiple sources have reported that a senior aide on Vice President Cheney's national security team has been meeting with policy hands of the American Enterprise Institute, one other think tank, and more than one national security consulting house and explicitly stating that Vice President Cheney does not support President Bush's tack towards Condoleezza Rice's diplomatic efforts and fears that the President is taking diplomacy with Iran too seriously.

This White House official has stated to several Washington insiders that Cheney is planning to deploy an "end run strategy" around the President if he and his team lose the policy argument.

The thinking on Cheney's team is to collude with Israel, nudging Israel at some key moment in the ongoing standoff between Iran's nuclear activities and international frustration over this to mount a small-scale conventional strike against Natanz using cruise missiles (i.e., not ballistic missiles).

This strategy would sidestep controversies over bomber aircraft and overflight rights over other Middle East nations and could be expected to trigger a sufficient Iranian counter-strike against US forces in the Gulf -- which just became significantly larger -- as to compel Bush to forgo the diplomatic track that the administration realists are advocating and engage in another war.

There are many other components of the complex game plan that this Cheney official has been kicking around Washington. The official has offered this commentary to senior staff at AEI and in lunch and dinner gatherings which were to be considered strictly off-the-record, but there can be little doubt that the official actually hopes that hawkish conservatives and neoconservatives share this information and then rally to this point of view. This official is beating the brush and doing what Joshua Muravchik has previously suggested -- which is to help establish the policy and political pathway to bombing Iran.

The zinger of this information is the admission by this Cheney aide that Cheney himself is frustrated with President Bush and believes, much like Richard Perle, that Bush is making a disastrous mistake by aligning himself with the policy course that Condoleezza Rice, Bob Gates, Michael Hayden and McConnell have sculpted.

According to this official, Cheney believes that Bush can not be counted on to make the "right decision" when it comes to dealing with Iran and thus Cheney believes that he must tie the President's hands.

On Tuesday evening, i spoke with a former top national intelligence official in this Bush administration who told me that what I was investigating and planned to report on regarding Cheney and the commentary of his aide was "potentially criminal insubordination" against the President. I don't believe that the White House would take official action against Cheney for this agenda-mongering around Washington -- but I do believe that the White House must either shut Cheney and his team down and give them all garden view offices so that they can spend their days staring out their windows with not much to do or expect some to begin to think that Bush has no control over his Vice President.

It is not that Cheney wants to bomb Iran and Bush doesn't, it is that Cheney is saying that Bush is making a mistake and thus needs to have the choices before him narrowed.

Joe Klein of TIME magazine backs up the account.

I can confirm, through military and intelligence sources, part of Steve Clemons' account of Cheney's crazed bellicosity regarding Iran. In fact, having just received a second-source confirmation of the following story, I was intending to post it today:

Last December, as Rumsfeld was leaving, President Bush met with the Joint Chiefs of Staff in "The Tank," the secure room in the Pentagon where the Joint Chiefs discuss classified matters of national security. Bush asked the Chiefs about the wisdom of a troop "surge" in Iraq. They were unanimously opposed. Then Bush asked about the possibility of a successful attack on Iran's nuclear capability. He was told that the U.S. could launch a devastating air attack on Iran's government and military, wiping out the Iranian air force, the command and control structure and some of the more obvious nuclear facilities. But the Chiefs were--once again--unanimously opposed to taking that course of action.

Why? Because our intelligence inside Iran is very sketchy. There was no way to be sure that we could take out all of Iran's nuclear facilities. Furthermore, the Chiefs warned, the Iranian response in Iraq and, quite possibly, in terrorist attacks on the U.S. could be devastating. Bush apparently took this advice to heart and went to Plan B--a covert destabilization campaign reported earlier this week by ABC News. If Clemons is right, and I'm pretty sure he is, Cheney is still pushing Plan A.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
reynolds_wrap.jpg

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Was wondering how long this would take to hit GAF.

The long-running turf war between Rice's State Department and the Office of the VP on Iran is pretty much an open secret. There was a Post article a few months back that made it sound like State was getting to set the policy for the most part, which would gel with this.

I don't (want to?) think they'll pull off anything too crazy, but the more light shined on these people, the better.

Steve Clemons said:
Multiple sources have reported that a senior aide on Vice President Cheney's national security team has been meeting with policy hands of the American Enterprise Institute

David Wurmser?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Unbelievably, I didn't believe it until I saw that Time was able to confirm some of the story.

What the **** has happened to us? Why the **** aren't these jackholes out of the damn White House already?

I think its too late now, no matter what... right now Iran has to know it needs Nukes to survive as a nation even if say this whole thing was for "Peaceful" purposes -- Iran will go all out to protect themselves from becoming another Iraq

this shit will not end well no matter who is in charge a year or two from now

Snaku

Banned
Congress would never authorize a war against Iran. They value their asses and the 2008 race far more than Cheney's warmongering.

APF

Smiles and Cries said:
I think its too late now, no matter what... right now Iran has to know it needs Nukes to survive as a nation
I'm not sure how you can come to this conclusion from articles saying that the US is being contained by fear of Iranian retaliation.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Cheney is a total nut-job. Him and Rumsfeld have been ****ing up the world in their various positions of power for the last 40 years. The world would be a better place if both of them were thrown into an oubliette.

The person in Iran who most wants a conflict is Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

This just isn't true.

HomShaBom said:

:lol :lol :lol

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
OG_Original Gamer said:
Definitely, it reminds me of 24. Only problem, there's no actors.

Oh, I don't know about that. There are actors everywhere. Take the Democrats. They acted tough and indignant, making stern claims about holding the President accountable for this fiasco of a war. I think the quote was "There's a new Congress in town". Well, guess they win the f*cking Oscar for that one.

909er

Snaku said:
Congress would never authorize a war against Iran. They value their asses and the 2008 race far more than Cheney's warmongering.

They don't need to. Between the Vietnam War and 9/11, the Presidency has been given enough power to initiate an attack without Congress's approval. While declaration of war is still with Congress, the President can start one if he wants to.

909er said:
They don't need to. Between the Vietnam War and 9/11, the Presidency has been given enough power to initiate an attack without Congress's approval. While declaration of war is still with Congress, the President can start one if he wants to.

This man speaks the truth. The Neocons control the machines of war. Anyone living in the United States who doesn't realize this needs to wake the f*ck up right now.

Want to know the reason Ron Paul has come out of nowhere? There it is.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Article from The New Republic, last September.

Lawrence Kaplan said:
Moreover, Cheney aides see no inherent incompatibility between the State Department's track and their own, for the simple reason that they believe the diplomatic track will fail. Because the president plans to go the last mile in the name of mollifying the Europeans--and, unlike the run-up to the Iraq war, the diplomatic string on Iran could run for up to two years--administration hard-liners reason that, if Bush tires of the kabuki, he can switch to the military track with little lost.

Washington Post article, February 11.

Karen DeYoung said:
"It's very important that we proceed carefully, patiently and with some skill," said Undersecretary of State R. Nicholas Burns, who by all accounts is playing a lead role in formulating Iran policy. "We believe that diplomacy can succeed. We're focused on that. We're not focused on a military conflict with Iran."

Some senior administration officials still relish the notion of a direct confrontation. One ambassador in Washington said he was taken aback when John Hannah, Vice President Cheney's national security adviser, said during a recent meeting that the administration considers 2007 "the year of Iran" and indicated that a U.S. attack was a real possibility. Hannah declined to be interviewed for this article.

Cheney's team wants a more aggressive approach, Rice's team wants a more diplomatic approach, Rice's team has been winning over the last year, and now Cheney's team might be getting tricky. That seems to be the basic narrative.

Maybe the guy who went to the AEI was Elliot Abrams. That'd certainly be in keeping with his Iran-Contra hijinks.

APF

Mandark said:
Cheney's team wants a more aggressive approach, Rice's team wants a more diplomatic approach, Rice's team has been winning over the last year
Bu-bu-buh the Neocons control teh machines of war!!!

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Hey, I heard that the neocons were done, and nobody in the administration actually wants to bomb Iran, and it's all just tinfoil hat conspiracies from Sy Hersh.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
909er said:

If anything the Vietnam War removed some executive powers of war. The President has always had the power to deploy troops even without congress approval.

APF

Mandark said:
Hey, I heard that the neocons were done, and nobody in the administration actually wants to bomb Iran, and it's all just tinfoil hat conspiracies from Sy Hersh.
I never said Cheney wasn't a hawk, but otherwise you're obviously listening to the right sources.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
It's not just Cheney, though. It's David Wurmser, Eliot Abrams, John Hannah, Elliot Cohen, Victoria Nuland, William Luti, the Shulsky/Triglio/Archin Iran directorate, etc.

There are people within the administration privately pushing for a more aggressive tack on Iran policy, and people outside the administration publicly trying to build up political support for it. The first doesn't come from just Hersh. Clemons, DeYoung, Kaplan, Laura Rozen, etc. have confirmed it. The second's a matter of public record.

Yeah, it looks like Burns and Rice are winning the game of palace intrigue, but that doesn't mean that the other team doesn't exist, or that peaceniks like me and bob should shut up and assume it's all going to take care of itself.

APF

Oh, people with close ties to Cheney--or his ****ing advisors--have similar views to Cheney? Who would have thought??

APF said:
Bu-bu-buh the Neocons control teh machines of war!!!

From Hubris by Michael Isikoff and David Corn:

* President Bush was driven by a visceral hatred of Saddam Hussein, which he privately demonstrated in expletive-laden tirades against the Iraqi dictator. In May 2002--months before he asked Congress for authority to attack Saddam-Bush bluntly revealed his ultimate game plan in a candid moment with two aides. When told that reporter Helen Thomas was questioning the need to oust Saddam by force, Bush snapped: "Did you tell her I intend to kick his sorry mother ****ing ass all over the Mideast?" In a meeting with congressional leaders, the President angrily thrust his middle finger inches in front of the face of Senator Tom Daschle to illustrate Saddam's attitude toward the United States.

* As part of an aggressive prewar covert action program--codenamed Anabasis (after an ancient text about a botched invasion of Babylon)--the CIA was authorized by the White House in the winter of 2002 to blow up targets in Iraq and engage in "direct action" (an agency euphemism for assassination) to weaken Saddam's regime and to prepare for his ouster by the U.S. military. For Anabasis, the agency smuggled Iraqi exiles to a top-secret site in the Nevada desert and trained them in sabotage and explosives. The Iraqi force, known as the Scorpions, was being trained to seize an isolated Iraqi military post-in order to create a provocation that could trigger a war with Iraq.

* When Bush was first briefed that no WMDs had been found in Iraq, he was totally unfazed and asked few questions. "I'm not sure I've spoken to anyone at that level who seemed less inquisitive," the briefer told the authors.

* Colin Powell remains intensely bitter and angry about his UN Security Council Speech, during which he presented the case for war. After it became clear that much of his speech was wrong, he refused to have anything to do with CIA director George Tenet. "It's annoying to me," Powell told the authors. "Everybody focuses on my presentation....Well the same goddamn case was presented to the U.S. Senate and the Congress and they voted for [Bush's Iraq] resolution....Why aren't they outraged....The same case was presented to the President. Why isn'' the President outraged? It's always, 'Gee, Powell, you made this speech to the UN.'"

* After the invasion, Dick Cheney's aides desperately sifted through raw intelligence nuggets in search of any evidence that would justify the war. On one occasion they sent the WMD hunters in Iraq a satellite photo that they suspected showed a hiding place for WMDs. But it was only an overhead photo of a watering hole for cows.

* A critical memo in the CIA leak case was based on notes of a State Department official that were (as this official told the authors) inaccurate. This memo reported that former ambassador Joseph Wilson's wife was a CIA employee who played a key role in sending him on his trip to Niger. Yet the State Department official now acknowledges his notes did not describe Valerie Wilson's role accurately.

* At the time of her outing, Valerie Wilson was an undercover officer in the CIA whose mission had been to gather intelligence about WMDs in Iraq. She was the operations manager of the Joint Task Force on Iraq, a unit in the clandestine service of the CIA. This unit desperately tried to obtain evidence to back up the Bush administration's assertions about Saddam's WMDs, yet it found no such evidence.

* Richard Armitage, the deputy secretary of state, was the original leaker in the CIA leak case. But as he was disclosing information to columnist Robert Novak, Karl Rove, Scooter Libby and other top White House aides were engaged in a fierce campaign to discredit Joseph Wilson. Rove even told MSNBC anchor Chris Matthews that the Wilsons "were trying to screw the White House so the White House was going to screw them back."

* Many of the White House's most dramatic claims about the threat posed by weapons of mass destruction were repeatedly questioned by senior members of the U.S. intelligence community-but these dissents and views were suppressed or ignored by the White House. Admiral Thomas Wilson, the director of the Defense Intelligence Agency until May 2002, is quoted in the book as casting doubt on virtually the entire White House case for an invasion of Iraq. "I didn't really think [Iraq] had a nuclear program," retired Admiral Wilson told the authors. "I didn't think [Saddam and Iraq] were an immediate threat on WMD."

* The CIA missed an obvious clue that showed that the infamous Niger documents--the basis for Bush's false statement in a State of the Union speech--were crude forgeries. The clue was a bizarre companion document detailing a supposed global alliance of rogue nations (including Iraq and Iran)--a notion so unlikely that one State Department intelligence analyst immediately labeled it a hoax. The CIA also blew the call on these documents partly because an officer misplaced the papers.

* U.S. intelligence officials suspected Iranian intelligence was trying to influence U.S. decision-making through Ahmad Chalabi's Iraqi National Congress-yet they felt they could do nothing about it because the INC had support within the White House and Pentagon.

* Congressional leaders on both sides of the aisle seriously doubted the case for war-and questioned the top-secret briefings they received directly from Cheney. One senior Republican, House Majority Leader Dick Armey, warned the President in a September 2002 meeting that Bush would be stuck in a "quagmire" if he invaded Iraq. But Armey and others were afraid for political reasons to challenge the White House on the prewar intelligence.

* An obscure academic, derided as a virtual crackpot by U.S. law enforcement and the intelligence community, greatly influenced top Bush administration officials, who adopted her farfetched theory that Saddam was the source of most of the terrorism in the world, including the 9/11 attacks. But, oddly, this researcher, Laurie Mylroie, had once been a Saddam apologist and had engaged in secret, back-door diplomacy aimed at brokering a peace accord between Israel and Iraq. After Saddam invaded Kuwait, Mylroie developed bizarre allegations about Saddam and terrorism. Her theories were debunked by the CIA and FBI, yet Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz embraced them, cited them in official meetings, and repeatedly pressed the agency and bureau to come up with evidence to substantiate Mylroie's work.

* The intelligence community's top nuclear experts were afraid to challenge publicly the Bush administration's claim that Iraq had obtained aluminum tubes for a nuclear weapons program, though they disagreed with this assessment. The tubes case was relentlessly pressed by one CIA analyst whose technical expertise did not match those of these scientists and whose name is revealed for the first time in HUBRIS.

* The CIA came close to recruiting Saddam Hussein's foreign minister, Naji Sabri, to be an American spy. Through a Lebanese journalist, Sabri passed word to the CIA's station chief in Paris that Iraq had no active nuclear or WMD programs. But senior CIA and White House officials dismissed the intelligence and opposed the effort to recruit Sabri, fearing it would undercut the case for an invasion. The chief of the CIA's Iraq Operations Group told the Paris station chief, "One of these days you're going to get it. This is not about intelligence. This is about regime change."

* Even as colleagues of Judith Miller at The New York Times were suspicious of her reporting on Iraq's WMDs, her editors stubbornly stood by her. HUBRIS details how some of the Times' most significant-and wrong-stories about Saddam's WMDs came to be written.

* CIA analysts, over the objections of other intelligence community analysts, rigged a post-invasion report to show that a trailer found in Iraq was a mobile bioweapons lab.

* Before the invasion, Bush and General Tommy Franks only briefly discussed how Iraq would be secured after the invasion-and did so in the most general terms. The one idea they discussed--appointing a "lord mayor" in each Iraqi city and town--was not even shared with the military officers in charge of drawing up the plans for a post-invasion Iraq.

* Karl Rove and his lawyer did not turn over a critical piece of evidence in the CIA leak case (a document covered by a subpoena from the special prosecutor) for nearly a year.

APF said:
Cool. Now I'll post the back cover from A Confederacy of Dunces.

You could do that but it's better to be consistent and continue in your role as the perpetual apologist and intellectual contrarian. Right?

APF

OMG Karl Rove's lawyer didn't turn over a document for nearly a year! Surely war with Iran is right around the corner all Bush has to do is press the button

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
APF said:
Oh, people with close ties to Cheney--or his ****ing advisors--have similar views to Cheney? Who would have thought??

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Humor me and explain?

APF said:
OMG Karl Rove's lawyer didn't turn over a document for nearly a year! Surely war with Iran is right around the corner all Bush has to do is press the button

why do you like to go against reality so much? why is it so hard to accept whatit is and not what you want?

APF

Mandark said:
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Humor me and explain?
What I've been saying here for literally years: We're not going to go to war with Iran, and it's highly improbable that we'll do any sort of overt military action

Your fearmongering counter: There are people in the Administration who are agitating for direct confrontation

My reply: I never said Cheney wasn't a hawk, but the balance of the debate has and will always been against him

Your red herring: People like Cheney's advisors are also Iran hawks

My flip response: OMG I never would have guessed

evil solrac v3.0 said:
why do you like to go against reality so much? why is it so hard to accept whatit is and not what you want?
I'm not even sure what it is you're trying to say here, given the context re: Rove's lawyer.

ivysaur12

Banned
bob_arctor said:
Oh, I don't know about that. There are actors everywhere. Take the Democrats. They acted tough and indignant, making stern claims about holding the President accountable for this fiasco of a war. I think the quote was "There's a new Congress in town". Well, guess they win the f*cking Oscar for that one.

But that's not how government works.

APF said:
What I've been saying here for literally years: We're not going to go to war with Iran, and it's highly improbable that we'll do any sort of overt military action

Your fearmongering counter: There are people in the Administration who are agitating for direct confrontation

My reply: I never said Cheney wasn't a hawk, but the balance of the debate has and will always been against him

Your red herring: People like Cheney's advisors are also Iran hawks

My flip response: OMG I never would have guessed

I'm not even sure what it is you're trying to say here, given the context re: Rove's lawyer.

You have 2 flaws in your argument:

1) You downplay the influence of Cheney over Bush on foreign policy issues.("TROOP SURGE! **** YEA!"....we know that wasn't the well-rationed conclusion of his generals)

2) You downplay the ability of this president to make the most irrational and illogical decisions.(Evident to all every ****ing day)

Take these into account and I wouldn't discredit a report that Bush was seriously pondering an airstrike on France much less Iran.

APF

happyfunball said:
You downplay the influence of Cheney over Bush on foreign policy issues.
The evidence demonstrates you overplay it--particularly now, and specifically on this issue.

APF said:
The evidence demonstrates you overplay it--particularly now, and specifically on this issue.

Evidence? 6 Years of rampant cowboy diplomacy suggests the evidence favors my conclusion. On this specific issue, I tend to favor the past as predictor of the future. That doesn't mean I believe we'll bomb them anytime soon but I would be surprised if we don't at least do it through a proxy(ie Israel).

APF

happyfunball said:
Evidence? 6 Years of rampant cowboy diplomacy suggests the evidence favors my conclusion. On this specific issue, I tend to favor the past as predictor of the future. That doesn't mean I believe we'll bomb them anytime soon but I would be surprised if we don't at least do it through a proxy(ie Israel).
The thing is, you're not following this issue, or even reading the articles in the thread all that carefully.

And my take on "6 Years of rampant cowboy diplomacy" is, the Administration likes to talk tough and act weak.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
APF said:
The thing is, you're not following this issue, or even reading the articles in the thread all that carefully.

And my take on "6 Years of rampant cowboy diplomacy" is, the Administration likes to talk tough and act weak.

Act weak my ****ing ass!!! The **** man. 3,400 men and women soldiers dead and you call that weak?

The talk tough and act too damn tough IMO. You view on these issues is just off.

APF said:

I have read the article carefully and I realize that it is trying to say that diplomacy may be winning out, but the pedigree of this administration is not talk tough and act weak. It's already invaded 2 countries and overthrown at least 3. I don't expect that to change in some glorious epiphany of diplomatic love. Cheney and his neocon boys are pushin to hit Iran, they pushed to hit Iraq, and I don't think we should have faith in W to make a rational decision this time as well.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Seems like you're just moving the goalposts from "the hawks are gone" to "they're losing the internal debate."

It sort of handicaps peaceniks like me and bob if we're "fearmongering" by pointing out stuff you acknowledge to be true. The lefties are meant to leave the floor to the Kristols and Kagans, because actively debating them would just be panicky and shrill?

APF

I've always said the Neocons were gone--or out of influence--not the "Hawks" per se. Fearmongering is often partial truth spun to unnecessary conclusions. The fact that the hawks in the Administration have lost their voice is directly in evidence, to the point where you of all people acknowledge it as well. Kristol isn't on this forum AFAIK.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
I figure if people are trying to push policy in a direction I don't like, and doing so from high positions in the government and opinion centers, it would be fair game to point this out, even if they haven't prevailed. Saying "Hey, these people want to do bad stuff that I'm against" seems reasonable to me. At what point exactly does it become irrational fear-mongering?

FWIW, Abrams is at the NSC, Cohen is at State, Shulsky's group is set up in the Pentagon. Cheney's the main patron of neocons, as always, but it's not like they're holed up in a bunker at the Office of the VP.

Mandark said:
Was wondering how long this would take to hit GAF.

The long-running turf war between Rice's State Department and the Office of the VP on Iran is pretty much an open secret. There was a Post article a few months back that made it sound like State was getting to set the policy for the most part, which would gel with this.

I don't (want to?) think they'll pull off anything too crazy, but the more light shined on these people, the better.

David Wurmser?

We have a winner.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/02/world/middleeast/02diplo.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Ms. Rice’s assurance came as senior officials at the State Department were expressing fury over reports that members of Vice President Dick Cheney’s staff have told others that Mr. Cheney believes the diplomatic track with Iran is pointless, and is looking for ways to persuade Mr. Bush to confront Iran militarily. […]

The reports about hawkish statements by members of Mr. Cheney’s staff first surfaced last week in The Washington Note, an influential blog put out by Steve Clemons of the left-leaning New America Foundation. The reports have alarmed European diplomats, some of whom fear that the struggle over Iran’s nuclear program may evolve into a decision by the Bush administration to resort to force against Iran.

In interviews, people who have spoken with Mr. Cheney’s staff have confirmed the broad outlines of the reports, and said that some of the hawkish statements to outsiders had been made by David Wurmser, a former Pentagon official who is now the principal deputy assistant to Mr. Cheney for national security affairs.

Incognito said:

Must see: http://youtube.com/watch?v=b9T-XzeFuYk

Jun 1, 2007

CHENEY AND IRAN

Remember that report from Steve Clemons last week about how Dick Cheney is hoping to get Israel to attack Iran in order to provoke a shooting war that will suck in the United States? Today in the New York Times, Helene Cooper confirms it:

In interviews, people who have spoken with Mr. Cheney's staff have confirmed the broad outlines of the report, and said that some of the hawkish statements to outsiders were made by David Wurmser, a former Pentagon official who is now the principal deputy assistant to Mr. Cheney for national security affairs.

Good 'ol David Wurmser. A neocon's neocon. Co-author in 1996 of "A Clean Break," the infamous document that proposed giving up on peace in the Middle East in favor of armed attacks on Syria, Iran, Lebanon, and, while we're at it, Iraq too. A man who proposed attacking South America in retaliation for 9/11. The guy who keeps Cheney bucked up when things look bad.

Unsurprisingly, this news didn't go over well with non-crazy people:
During an interview with BBC Radio that was broadcast today, Mohamed ElBaradei, the director-general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, said he did not want to see another war like the one still raging in Iraq five years after the American-led invasion there.

"You do not want to give additional argument to new crazies who say, 'let's go and bomb Iran,'" Mr. ElBaradei said, in his strongest warning yet against the use of force in Iran.

Several Western European officials also echoed his concern, and said privately that they are worried that Mr. Cheney's "red lines" — the point at which he believes that Iran is on the brink of acquiring a nuclear weapon and a military strike is necessary — may be coming up soon. "We fully believe that Foggy Bottom is committed to the diplomatic track," one European official said Wednesday. "But there's some concern about the vice president's office."

And the White House's response? An unnamed senior official didn't actually deny that Wurmser's account of Cheney's views was accurate, instead saying only that "the vice president is not necessarily responsible for every single thing that comes out of the mouth of every single member of his staff." Roger that. I'm sure Wurmser will be fired any day now. And Condi Rice says the whole thing is ridiculous. Of course Cheney is on board with the diplomatic track. Why on earth would anyone think differently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom