• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicagoans I need your help: Whats the best Mail-Order Stuffed Deep Dish Pizza???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicagoans I need your help: What's the best Mail-Order Stuffed Deep Dish Pizza???

I've heard really good things about Chicago stuffed deep dish, and I'm unable to get to Chicago for a few years, so I figure why not bring it to me? :D

Anyhow, what's the best Deep Dish pizza that can be shipped to me? I'm in California. I mostly like Pepperoni, Cheese and Sausage, but if you know of some fantastic medley I'd be willing to give it a shot.

So far this looks like the best: http://www.giordanos.com/shop/home.php?cat=1

Osaka said:
I've NEVER heard of mail-ordering pizza. Wow. :lol

Back in college there was a girl from Chicago who's parents used to have a place Fedex her a pizza every week. Spoiled brat for sure, but I've heard great things about the Pizza from Chi.

So I did a Google search, apparently it's not a far out there idea, dozens of Chi pizzeria's do this.

I just have no clue which one is good. :lol

numble said:
Where are you in California?

Bay Area.

The only decent pizza we have here is Lanesplitters (NY pizza) and Zackary's (Chicago style), but they don't do Stuffed Deep Dish, which is what I'm looking for.

1471256408_781147d1bb.jpg

^^^ Something like this ^^^

numble

permutated said:
Bay Area.

The only decent pizza we have here is Lanesplitters (NY pizza) and Zackary's (Chicago style), but they don't do Stuffed Deep Dish, which is what I'm looking for.

1471256408_781147d1bb.jpg

^^^ Something like this ^^^

Yeah, I did a quick search on chowhound and doesn't look like there are any in the Bay Area.

J2 Cool

I don't know who "Mail-Order"s - but Uno's, Pizzeria Due, Lou Malnati's, or Giordano's. I've only tried Uno's from those, and it was delicious. I've heard amazing things about the other 3 though.

numble

permutated said:
I've never heard of Chow Hound, how is it comparable to YELP?
Try it--www.chow.com or www.chowhound.com it was around long before yelp, the big thing are the boards--it's more message-boardy, compared to straight-up restaurant reviews on yelp. Things like, "where can I get some good X near Y?" People will probably give you better replies than over here.

Thanks numble, I created a thread on there in the Chicago and in the Bay Area sections, I actually found out that one of the pizzerias I frequent serves it, it's just not very played up.

Reviews of the pie sound promising though.

Best.

J2 Cool

permutated said:
J2 Cool you rock, I'll check those all out.

The other 3 have better reputations. Uno's old recipe for deep dish is said to have stayed with Uno's companion restaurant, Pizzeria Due, while they continued to change it. And the very original recipe is said to be kept by a former Uno's employee, Lou Malnati. Who broke off and created his own chain of Chicago joints.

I'd go with Malnati's, Pizzeria Due, or Giordano's based on reputation(in that order), but my experience with Uno's personally was great. I'm excited to try the other restaurants sometime and see how they compare. Here's a thread arguing about the best:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168981&page=2&highlight=giordano's+pizza+gino's+east

Gino's East is good stuff too, and has it's loyalists. I ate there years back, but didn't like it at well as Uno's.

I ate at Giordano's last summer during the FBLA Nationals Competition thingy. Actually ate there twice, it was so good. Best pizza I've ever had. I can post a picture or two of the pizza if you want.

edible_candle said:
I ate at Giordano's last summer during the FBLA Nationals Competition thingy. Actually ate there twice, it was so good. Best pizza I've ever had. I can post a picture or two of the pizza if you want.

Would you mind? I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks.

Here's the only shot of the pizza I can find currently, unfortunately it is blurry and half eaten

a3vox1no6bhrdp6d84kz.jpg

Here's me eating it

3cmzluhou3qyxd3q05ip.jpg

And here's the front of the place, though I somehow doubt this helps you

iqxjulorkv8ey6p2m7u6.jpg

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
edible_candle said:
Here's the only shot of the pizza I can find currently, unfortunately it is blurry and half eaten

3cmzluhou3qyxd3q05ip.jpg

Wait, wait, wait, your eating pizza with a fork? Eww.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
sefskillz said:
you must be new to chicago deep dish!

I don't care how deep it is, pizza is a man's food and should be eaten with your hands. I have eaten thicker slices with just my hands before.

SyNapSe

I've ate at Uno's, Giordano's, Lou Malnati's, Geno's East when visiting Chicago.

Uno's is the worst to me, it's also a chain you can find in other parts of the country. Geno's I dislike also. I'd get either Giordano's or Lou Malnati's, myself I'd prefer Malnati's I think.

Two disclaimers: I don't really like Chicago Style pizza much, and I have no idea how well it would ship somewhere. I can't even imagine it would be good but who knows.

St Louis style on the whole other end of Chicago style I think is much better, although it may be because I have it really sparingly. If you ate it as your pizza of choice all the time it might grow old. Certainly that cheese type they use can be quite rich.

joelseph

Mail order pizza sucks. It is from the chains. Giodarnos blows.

Come to Chicago and eat at Art of Pizza on Ashland.

Miroku

The only mail order pizza I've gotten is Lou Malnati's. It was surprisingly good. I didnt know Giordano's and the like had started mail ordering too. I usually get Giordanos when I'm in Chicago.

LiveWire

I've ordered Giordano's mail order, and then tried it twice in person in Chicago. Not my cup of tea, though I'm told it's because their particular chain is a certain taste, and there's likely something to fit my appetite in Chicago's many homestyle deep-dish pizza joints. A word of warning before you order from Giordano's--they cannot ship any meats in a pizza due to health/food regulations. You can only get cheese or mushroom/peppers/veggies, etc. I will say this though, even though I don't like Giordano's, mail order looks, smells and tastes exactly like the stuff you get at the Chicago restaurants. So if you are a huge fan of it and live far far away from it, it's worth the expense to ship.

Seth C

Deep dish pizza isn't all that great anyway. Yeah, I've had it in Chicago. I can get deep dish just as good at a local hole in the wall joint anyway. It's your money, though. Of course, if you live on the west coast your pizza is shit so maybe this is your only option.

nomster

Deep Dish isn't the same as stuffed. Deep dish is also 10x better than the soggy mess that is stuffed pizza. Order Lou Malnati's or Uno's. Pretty sure they both deliver. Giordano's is terrible.

nomster

Phobophile said:
Unos sucks, Giordano's is pretty good.

Lies!

The downtown Uno's and Due's ARE NOT the same pizza as the chain Uno's. It's a completely different restaurant. Though I agree with the poster above that mentioned Art of Pizza. If you're in town head there.

HawkeyeIC

joelseph said:
Mail order pizza sucks. It is from the chains. Giodarnos blows.

Come to Chicago and eat at Art of Pizza on Ashland.

If you live in Chicago, listen to this man.

Art of Pizza >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lou Malnati's>>>>>>>rest

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Seth C said:
Deep dish pizza isn't all that great anyway. Yeah, I've had it in Chicago. I can get deep dish just as good at a local hole in the wall joint anyway. It's your money, though. Of course, if you live on the west coast your pizza is shit so maybe this is your only option.

have to agree with this. i think as a sort of "stuffed pie" type meal deep dish pizza is fine, but it really sort of negates all the things that make pizza special in the first place. i know it's only my personal preference, of course--deep dish pizza tastes just great, but given the option, i'll always take a well done classic crust as my first choice.

shoplifter

permutated said:
How is the crust? The pizza is 4x more expensive than Geordano's so I want to make sure it's worth it :lol

I just checked out Giordanos. By the time you get the pie SHIPPED, it ends up being $50. Malnati's prices all include the shipping.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
nomster said:
Lies!

The downtown Uno's and Due's ARE NOT the same pizza as the chain Uno's. It's a completely different restaurant. Though I agree with the poster above that mentioned Art of Pizza. If you're in town head there.
the downtown unos and duos suck. sorry, if i want to be overcharged for a pizza and have to wait an hour in a cramped restaurant, i'll go to unos. if i want a good stuffed pizza i'll go somehwere else.

OP: Either Giordano's or Gino's East will get you what you're looking for.

nomster

whytemyke said:
the downtown unos and duos suck. sorry, if i want to be overcharged for a pizza and have to wait an hour in a cramped restaurant, i'll go to unos. if i want a good stuffed pizza i'll go somehwere else.

OP: Either Giordano's or Gino's East will get you what you're looking for.

Uno's and Due's are over-crowded and targetted by tourists, but the price is no different from what you'll pay at the two you named and there wont be a layer of uncooked and nasty dough on top of the cheese. I really don't understand why people would want a "stuffed" pizza.

joelseph

Seriously guys. If it is not Art of Pizza it is not worth the time. And get Pan when you go, don't get deep dish.

ART OF PIZZA.

Amon37

Jesus can't anyone read the OP.

He is not in Chicago so Art of Pizza is out of the question, but suggesting it in multiple posts in awesome.

He obviously want a deep dish so all post from people saying they don't like deep dish and deep dish sucks are awesome.

yaya this is neogaf dude

My vote would go to Lou Malnati's

Any London Gaffers happen to know if PizzaLand is still based on Piccadilly Circus?

Once spent 6 Days in london and ate there about 15 times......

This thread just gave me the idea to have them send me some, bit like that M.A.S.H. epsiode where Hawkeye orders ribs from a takeout in Chicago while being in Korea.

Oh... i can taste em allready...

And yes, they're a bit like the one's you posted Permutated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom