• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Eden - Mizuguchi's next project

StuBurns

Banned
SnowWolf said:
I would love to see it as Natal exclusive. That means the game would be designed with Natal functionality in mind. I can't wait to see what Miz can do with Natal.

People thinking Wii/Move would be a good fit are assuming this game will play similarly to Rez, which doesn't seem to be true since multiple sources have called it a "spiritual successor" rather than a sequel.
By what 1up said, I think it's safe to say it is PS360. And therefore will not be designed with Natal in mind. It's been in development longer than the Natal developer tools have been out.

Gilby said:
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGMOGMOGMOMG!

Imagine Rez with wii pointer/PSMove!

IMAGINE REZ WITH NATAL :O

I'm hoping for wii since it's all I own

His Wii project QJ was under works with Atari but got canceled quickly, alas.

This is HD only. Probably for the best, though, considering what Miz would want from a Rez-a-like.

vid

If it's got any sort of Natal functionality, I certainly hope it involves having to recreate the various hand gestures and movements that the hacker would make in Rez while in any of the humanoid forms.

duckroll

If this is a Rez sequel, then I really hope that it's actually a game this time, instead of a few crappy tutorials followed by one good stage before ending.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
In many ways Rez is the poster-child for 'leave your audience with a good taste in their mouths'. Pre-Running Man boss at the end of Area 4, the game was kind of fetal.

(My user-name isn't actually a reference to Rez the game, I've been using this handle for a bit longer than that)

mehdi_san

duckroll said:
If this is a Rez sequel, then I really hope that it's actually a game this time, instead of a few crappy tutorials followed by one good stage before ending.
Would it be possible to put Rez 2 in the thread title, now that we have 3 different sources hinting at the same conclusion?

StuBurns

Banned
mehdi_san said:
Would it be possible to put Rez 2 in the thread title, now that we have 3 different sources hinting at the same conclusion?
Can I suggest "Rez spiritual sequel", it's not Rez 2.

Dachande

I hope it has nothing to do with Move or Natal at all because I really don't like motion controls as a rule. Not that I think it does anymore, since I doubt it'll be for PS3 and 360 if that was the case.

StuBurns - you know devs have had Natal kits since waaaay before the device itself was unveiled?

StuBurns

Banned
Dachande said:
More than a few in some cases.
Fair enough, it's possible Q had it when Rez 2 started, but I'd heard PS360 for over a year. Maybe it'll be very Natal heavy on the 360 version, but it would appear whatever it does, is probably either not essential to the experience, or can be done on something Sony have. Or 1up are wrong and it is exclusive.

Regardless, Rez is a masterpiece, and whatever he has lined up for it, I'm excited for.

mehdi_san

duckroll said:
Why not just wait for the announcement?
Yeah we could wait until it's announced Monday. It's just that most people don't know who Mizuguchi is, so they won't enter the thread although they may be interested by Rez.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Rez said:
In many ways Rez is the poster-child for 'leave your audience with a good taste in their mouths'. Pre-Running Man boss at the end of Area 4, the game was kind of fetal.

I think Rez is one of those rare complete experiences in gaming, in that everything leading up to Area 5 and the endgame is in support of it, thematically and mechanically, and you only realise in retrospect.

Or you don't, in which case it's just a slick rail shooter.

duckroll

mehdi_san said:
Yeah we could wait until it's announced Monday. It's just that most people don't know who Mizuguchi is, so they won't enter the thread although they may be interested by Rez.

Trust me. Anyone who doesn't know who Mizuguchi is, doesn't know what Rez is and doesn't care. :p

mehdi_san

MidnightScott said:
Edited by Ubisoft, don't you mean published?
That's maybe a bad translation I did from French. What's the difference?
duckroll said:
Trust me. Anyone who doesn't know who Mizuguchi is, doesn't know what Rez is and doesn't care. :p
OK let's keep it this way then!

Dachande

StuBurns said:
Fair enough, it's possible Q had it when Rez 2 started, but I'd heard PS360 for over a year. Maybe it'll be very Natal heavy on the 360 version, but it would appear whatever it does, is probably either not essential to the experience, or can be done on something Sony have. Or 1up are wrong and it is exclusive.

Regardless, Rez is a masterpiece, and whatever he has lined up for it, I'm excited for.

Well, I'm not saying that Q in particular has had it for that length of time, which is why I'm doubting that it has anything to do with Natal if it's been in development for as long as reported, and I also doubt that this will have the... er, honour (?) of being the first HD multiplatform motion control game if the reports of it being on both PS3 and 360 are correct; it's a bit soon for that. And with both devices unreleased, I doubt MS and Sony would let a small third-party developer have pre-release kits of their new killer-app hardware under same roof as their competitors'.

Of course, yeah, if 1up are wrong and its 360 exclusive, then god knows...

Would be neat to have face/head-tracking parallax 3D effect with a camera. Very trippy stuff if you just think about it mixed with Rez-like traveling through crazy colorful and abstract landscapes.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
God's Beard said:
I hope this is a success so they can get Lady GaGa to do mocap for Space Channel 6 on Natal.

I think the chink in my resistance to Natal has been made profoundly, terribly clear.

soldat7

duckroll said:

w1bbkp.jpg

genjiZERO

yes please!!!

I remember when REZ came out I had to drive to three different store to get it. At the final store they had no idea what game I was talking about, and it wasn't out front, but they "got some new games in" and so he rummaged in the back for about 5 minutes and finally produced it. It was "the only copy" they got in.

On a side note: REZ 2 in 3D? Fuck yes!!!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
genjiZERO said:
On a side note: REZ 2 in 3D? Fuck yes!!!

If there is one game that could potentially make me spend way too much money on a 3D setup, it would be this. I fear my senses could not handle it though, I would actually die.

But it would be worth it.

Jonnyram

abq said:
Spiritual successor to Space Chanel 5 next, please.
I reckon Space Chanel (lol sic) 5 is coming to XBLA/PSN first (esp. with all the DC announcements recently).

But most of all REZ 2 IN MY FACE YEEAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

Mœbius

Latest update on Q's Twitter:

For those of you wishing for our new game to be Rez 2. I'm sorry, but it's not Rez 2. It's BETTER than Rez 2. #thatsallicansay

Of course this doesn't mean it's not what we all think (and hope) it is. Simply that it won't be called Rez 2, since Sega own the rights to the name/IP.

StuBurns

Banned
pirateben said:
Latest update on Q's Twitter:

Of course this doesn't mean it's not what we all think (and hope) it is. Simply that it won't be called Rez 2, since Sega own the rights to the name/IP.
I'm giddy.

Miz's Twitter:

I will play to show my new game with Ubisoft. Dive into synaesthesia with me. Enjoy streaming live by G4. http://bit.ly/9cN1QE @ 5pm PST

Ridley327

Out of curiosity, how did the arrangement work for Rez HD? Microsoft published it and the Sega logo was nowhere to be found.

StuBurns

Banned
Ridley327 said:
Out of curiosity, how did the arrangement work for Rez HD? Microsoft published it and the Sega logo was nowhere to be found.
Did Microsoft publish it? Q were looking to porting to PS3 a while back I wouldn't think they could if MS were the publisher.

Sega 'gave permission' for the port. That's about all I know.

Ridley327

Yeah, MGS is listed as the pub by every source that I can find. That's why I'm curious to see what arrangement Q? Entertainment and Sega had that allowed them to, well, not acknowledge the latter's part in the making of the game.

StuBurns

Banned
Ridley327 said:
Yeah, MGS is listed as the pub by every source that I can find. That's why I'm curious to see what arrangement Q? Entertainment and Sega had that allowed them to, well, not acknowledge the latter's part in the making of the game.
I may be mistaken, but also wasn't there something about the original credits being omitted? Very odd.

Mœbius

Ridley327 said:
The Sega logo is on the Title Screen: says something like Q Entertainment & Sega Inc. in small print. Think the arrangement was that Sega dealt with MS and Q Entertainment and basically loaned them the license.

Mœbius

Well I guess for them it was some free money with no or little real investment/risk. They could get a cut of the earnings without fronting for any development costs maybe... only they know.

It might have been more appropriate to start a new thread or post in the Child of Eden |OT|

That said, I will check out your stuff when I get home from work :)

emalord

oracrest said:
Great stuff!

Thanks!
As I wrote in the post, some antialiasing/smoothing went in the pics via photoshop, because the game itself, when still, is mighty aliased. I suppose to guarantee a rock-solid framerate while playing via kinekt. For sure, effects and framerate were Mizuguchi-san first priority. That said, screenshots are supposed to be at least watchable ;) so I did my best to have quality and fidelity to the original at the same time.

Top Bottom