• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China: Angry Zoo Investors feed living Donkey to Tigers

Oersted

Video clips and photos of the incident have gone viral on Chinese social media, triggering shocked reactions.

But in statements (in Chinese) released on its Sina Weibo microblogging account, the zoo said the incident stemmed from a legal case between the zoo and another company.

The case led a court to freeze the zoo's assets two years ago. This meant that it could not sell its animals and its "investment finances shrank", it said.

Several animals, including two giraffes and a chimpanzee, also died because the zoo could not obtain permits to transport them elsewhere for medical treatment.

Its shareholders were "filled with anger for a long time" as they were unable to receive returns on their investments, and were also upset about the animals' deaths.

They suspected that the zoo, together with the court, were "conspiring to cheat small investors of their investments, and so in a fit of rage, decided to feed donkeys and sheep... to tigers", said the management.

One investor told news outlet The Paper (in Chinese) that they wanted to recoup their losses, and planned on transporting the animals out of the zoo to sell them elsewhere.

But the zoo's security guards stopped them, and the investors reacted angrily.

"Since we could not have any benefits, we thought why not feed to the tigers, at least we can save on animal feed," the unnamed investor said.

More here

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-40170419

Lock if old

Lagamorph

I'm failing to grasp how being angry can lead to the train of thought "Well I'll just feed a donkey to a tiger then!"

I mean...what kind of point could you even be trying to make there? Where did the Donkeys and Sheep even come from? Those aren't exactly zoo animals. Or are they in China? And if so, surely that's a case of cutting your nose to spite your face.

Tagyhag

I'm failing to grasp how being angry can lead to the train of thought "Well I'll just feed a donkey to a tiger then!"

I mean...what kind of point could you even be trying to make there? Where did the Donkeys and Sheep even come from? Those aren't exactly zoo animals. Or are they in China? And if so, surely that's a case of cutting your nose to spite your face.

That's exactly what it is, pettiness to the extreme.

PillarEN

Donkeys are very typical at zoos. Bizarre story.

THE:MILKMAN

giphy.gif

I genuinely don't know where to start or what to say about this story.

That's the Chinese motto. It's all about "face". Pride makes people do strange things.

G-Bus

Banned
Outrage! Tigers eating a living animal. Man that's fucked up....

But really. Bit fucked up.

I go to my local zoo all the time. I can't even imagine this situation. It almost seems like something someone would do in an end of the world scenario. Simply because no decent person with any amount of empathy would do this.

Dipper145

Don't these animals usually eat mostly meat or am I way off base here?

It's the fact that the meat was put in alive as opposed to butchered/already dead that's the issue right?

entremet

It's the fact that the meat was put in alive as opposed to butchered/already dead that's the issue right?
Yes, but butchered animals not live ones. Horse meat is common for carnivores.

Well that's fucking despicable. Why not jump in with the tigers in a fit of race you pieces of shit. If only some thing would happen to these asshole investors there and around the world (like the EpiPen guy who said people complaining about process can go fuck themselves).

Several animals, including two giraffes and a chimpanzee, also died because the zoo could not obtain permits to transport them elsewhere for medical treatment.

That sounds like a far bigger issue.
So the courts just let animals die?

The issue is that the zoo is full of animals who are dying from neglect, and on top of that the people who could shut the zoo down are instead resorting to senseless carnage and their own returns instead of actually caring for them.

Nobody's butchering the animals for tigers out in the wild. Killing and eating live animals is pretty standard behavior for tigers

It is not standard behavior for zookeepers to live feed tigers from randomly selected members of the zoo population as a cost cutting measure.

It is not standard behavior for zookeepers to live feed tigers from randomly selected members of the zoo population as a cost cutting measure.

Well sure, but these weren't zookeepers. That doesn't make it any less *weird* but I wouldn't exactly call it shocking or worthy of some sort of social media outcry. Hell, the tigers probably appreciated it if the zoo was really in that poor of condition with animals not being fed

Nobody's butchering the animals for tigers out in the wild. Killing and eating live animals is pretty standard behavior for tigers
You're right, tigers have to hunt and kill in the wild to survive because no one's gonna be bringing them a steak. But these tigers are in captivity. There's no reason to torture a living animal by tossing it in with the tigers when butchered meat works just fine.
There's also risk of injury to the tigers from it's prey as well.

Usobuko

Banned
It's messed up and I'm not sure how they come to this conclusion of venting their anger through live feeding.

One group of people were upset about animals deaths so to fix that they sacrifice a live animal.

Trash humans of a pretty high order

Top Bottom