• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China may bar foreign ships from passing through its waters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

Draft maritime law revisions say China may bar foreign ships from passing through its waters

China is to revise its 1984 Maritime Traffic Safety Law, which would allow the relevant authorities to bar some foreign ships from passing through Chinese territorial waters.

The Legislative Affairs Office of the State Council announced Tuesday it is soliciting public opinions on the revisions.

The draft would empower maritime authorities to prevent foreign ships from entering Chinese waters if it is decided that the ships may harm traffic safety and order.

The draft revisions stipulate that authorities will be able to designate specific areas and temporarily bar foreign ships from passing through those areas according to their own assessment of maritime traffic safety.

The revisions are based on the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea and Chinese laws on the sea, adjacent areas and exclusive economic zones, the office said.

Wang Xiaopeng, a maritime border expert at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, told the Global Times on Wednesday that the revisions will provide legal support for China to safeguard its maritime rights.

"As a sovereign State and the biggest coastal State in, for example, the South China Sea, China is entitled to adjust its maritime laws as needed, which will also promote peace and stable development in the waters," Wang said.

Yang Cuibai, a professor with the School of Law at Sichuan University, agreed, saying that "the revisions will strengthen China's management over territorial waters in a new era when the country's communication and trade with foreign countries in the waters have sharply increased."

Yang added that China should take the lead to establish the legal order in the Yellow Sea, the East China Sea and the South China Sea.

Foreign submersibles should travel on the surface, display national flags and report to Chinese maritime management administrations when they pass China's water areas, the draft says. They should also get approval from the relevant administrations to enter China's internal waters and ports.

Foreign military ships that are approved to enter China's waters should apply for pilotage. Foreign ships that enter Chinese waters without approval will be fined 300,000-500,000 yuan ($43,706-72,844) and those violating Chinese laws would be expelled, it said.

"China's waters are open to foreign ships as long as they do not damage the waters' safety, order, or China's sovereignty," Yang said.

The draft also states that people in distress at sea have the right to be rescued without charge, adding that human lives should come before the environment and assets.

The State Council and local governments should set up maritime search and rescue centers, if needed, to organize, coordinate and command rescue operations, the draft says. Civilian groups are also encouraged by the revised regulations to set up rescue teams and participate in such operations.

The revisions will take effect in 2020.

Source: http://en.people.cn/n3/2017/0216/c90000-9178826.html

China is moving ahead with its control over the South Chinese Sea. The new law includes some heavy limitations and rules... like this one..

Foreign submersibles should travel on the surface, display national flags and report to Chinese maritime management administrations when they pass China's water areas

I wonder how foreign nations will respond to this.

Neverfade

ja9s7tp.png

Bold strategy Cotton. Let's see how this looks when they try to enforce this policy and end up causing an international incident that brings a half a dozen carrier battlegroups into the region to blockade all of China's ships.

commedieu

Banned
Even if they do spot it there isn't much they can do. The Chinese navy is pretty pathetic right now.

It's not like they are going to start ww3 over it. Probably identify it and demand the fine from the country it's from. I imagine they'll be upgrading detection and intercepting vessels by 2020 as well.

le.phat

It's interesting and frightening to see how the world's super powers are all manoeuvring in light of America's weakened state. I expect the top players to show more brashness and aggression as US's position in the world continues to weaken.

Dali

South_China_Sea_claims_map.jpg

Nobody come in our sea, okay?
Does China really claim all that as there's? And if so do we really respect their claim? I thought territorial waters were defined as only extending so many miles from the land. I thought this was an international agreement.

Does China really claim all that as there's? And if so do we really respect their claim? I thought territorial waters were defined as only extending so many miles from the land. I thought this was an international agreement.

Yes they do, and no, we do not respect it. They have been making claims in the Spratly Islands by dredging and building islands on coral reefs in the area. The United States has been running "Freedom of Navigation" missions through this area in response.

Violet_0

Banned

yes and no. Remember the constant China/Japan dickwaving about those islands? The artifical islands that China has built? It's all part of their grand game about who gets to control the South China Sea

pretty much the same thing is going on with Russia at the northpole

e: what HideyoshiJP said

mjontrix

Trumps about to deliver some freedom if this goes ahead.

There's no way he won't - it deflects from everything happening domestically.

enewtabie

China can't claim the entire China Sea and the US and anybody else that has any sense won't respect it and should move freely in Intl Waters.

Bot to mention the other regional powers who are all none-too-impressed but obviously not really able to do much about it.

Yeah, according to Wikipedia, the Philippines held an arbitration tribunal against China, and when China lost, they were just like "Nah."

The whole situation has also become a lot less unified with Duterte trying to cozy up to China and now that the US has pulled out of TPP. Trump being in the mix should make things very interesting.

Buckle

Wouldn't put it past him.

"How many many american soldiers can I throw into a meat grinder to get some heat off of me?"

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The sad reality is western countries are scared of china both economically and militarily. Not a single word was uttered by the last US administration when the SCS was being militarised. Trump will be tied down by domestic problems so he can't project power and he already accepted the one China policy. China is only doing this because they know no one will do anything. Next up time to bully India in the Indian Ocean.

Dali

The sad reality is western countries are scared of china both economically and militarily. Not a single word was uttered by the last US administration when the SCS was being militarised. Trump will be tied down by domestic problems so he can't project power and he already accepted the one China policy. China is only doing this because they know no one will do anything. Next up time to bully India in the Indian Ocean.
Pretty sure there was emphasis put on the pacific and increasing our strength in the region during the Obama administration. You may have missed it because it's mostly a peaceful region and doesn't usually get headlines like Syria or iran.

Edit:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/11/11/world/asia/us-militarys-new-focus-on-asia-becomes-clearer.html

Yes they do, and no, we do not respect it. They have been making claims in the Spratly Islands by dredging and building islands on coral reefs in the area. The United States has been running "Freedom of Navigation" missions through this area in response.

yes and no. Remember the constant China/Japan dickwaving about those islands? The artifical islands that China has built? It's all part of their grand game about who gets to control the South China Sea

pretty much the same thing is going on with Russia at the northpole

e: what HideyoshiJP said
Thanks. I knew about disputes in the region like possession of the islands near Japan but I just never saw a visual of how ridiculous their claim is.

Madness

The revisions are based on the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea and Chinese laws on the sea, adjacent areas and exclusive economic zones, the office said.

The sheer hilarity and hypocrisy of them using the UNCLOS laws when they were ruled against in the South China Sea precisley because of them and they then said they don't abide by the ruling or the laws blah blah. Can't wait for the usual Beijing apologists and anti-Americans to try and downplay this. For years I've been reading about how China is a rational actor and wants a peaceful rise etc. Oh well, sucks for the Vietnamese and Philippines then, and Duterte will look like a fool for sucking up when Beijing totally controls the sea there and starts imposing blockades and whatnot.

enewtabie

The Navy Times said the Carl Vinson group is headed to the SCS and would be doing more Freedom of Navigation operations. China is gonna love it.

The sheer hilarity and hypocrisy of them using the UNCLOS laws when they were ruled against in the South China Sea precisley because of them and they then said they don't abide by the ruling or the laws blah blah. Can't wait for the usual Beijing apologists and anti-Americans to try and downplay this. For years I've been reading about how China is a rational actor and wants a peaceful rise etc. Oh well, sucks for the Vietnamese and Philippines then, and Duterte will look like a fool for sucking up when Beijing totally controls the sea there and starts imposing blockades and whatnot.
This is a completely rational move though. They need to project their power somehow in order to continue to grow it, especially since they are contained from the east by a string of American allies. Bullying a bunch of smaller and weaker countries to the south is the way to do it, especially with the US being a chaotic mess now and the Philippines trying to be friendly. Now is as good a time to pull a quick move as any.

slit

166.gif

Pretty sure they borrowed enough technology for that old shit.

Their navy is outclassed in almost every way by the U.S. and western European allies. Don't know what that gif is supposed to mean; it's the truth. You think the Chinese have anything to counter the Seawolf class of subs?

Shoeless

Nah, this is all going according to his plan. This just means it's time to work faster on re-opening those factories and coal mines in the mid-west and bring jobs back. Asia for Asians, America for America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom