• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Choose Your Own Adventure books were fucking awesome, name your favourites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

250px-shamutanti_hills.jpg

Awesome, awesome book. That it carried on into three sequels for one larger, better story with specific details and elements carrying on with you (if you'd read the earlier books) was really thrilling at the time.

I was so into these when I was a kid. That Time Machine cover is a real blast from the past, I haven't thought of those probably since they were out.

My favorite (I can barely remember some of the scenes, but that cover is iconic to me):
135373.gif

Hrm. On a phone, so I can't link images, but I remember taking out Carol Gaskin's Forgotten Forest CYOAs from my elementary school library. Specifically, The Forbidden Towers and The Master of Mazes.

I think I also own a copy of Deathtrap Dungeons, if that counts.

mclem

Do you mean *actual* CYOA, or just that ilk? I ask because *this* baby and its family were awesome:

FzG3X00.jpg

A standard adventure gamebook, but it came with a kit of tools that were used with it; the magic potion metre tracked 'health', the coin card did the obvious, a dice to randomly select characters to do various tasks, and there were translators the decipher codes in the book and an overlay card to read out messages from masses of letters. Really felt a lot more involved.

I saw those books with Asterix branding and Famous Five branding, both worked rather well.

While we're sticking with Asterix branding, I'd like to also flag up:

I've only played one of these, but they were again a bit more interesting than a standard gamebook. For one, if I recall correctly, they were actually organised into discrete chapters; you'd still do normal gamebook things within a chapter, but once you'd finished a chapter, you'd move on to another set of pages. For another thing, occasionally it'd break away from the normal gamebook flow system into something a bit more adventurous. I recall one scene where your character had to navigate through a roman camp - displayed on a grid - and as you proceeded you needed to fight or hide from enemies displayed on the map, and if you entered a tent you'd jump to the paragraphs indicated by the tent.

MR4001

I have - sadly...? - never read a Choose Your Own Adventure book... but the cover art of the books people are posting is fantastic: it reminds me of the brilliant illustrated science books from the 1970s I would find in the local and school libraries (in the 1990s). I miss those books so much - without them I think I'd be a very different person: they inspired such a love of the future, firing an immense curiosity. And the illustrations that depict the deep sea still scare me (gives me a real sense of dread-cum-awe)...

AkuMifune

Banned
Last night I remembered a series of ninja adventure ones I used to go through, Way of the Tiger.

51lTQ6QnXrL._SL500_SY300_.jpg

Pretty rad. There's an iOS repository of these or something? Online?

I need to go through these again, and try not to cheat this time.

mclem

Just to check, I assume people here are aware of Project Aon, right?

Much of the Lone Wolf series with permission granted to be distributed on their site for free, along with a few tools to aid playing them. Given that Lone Wolf lent itself well to being played in serial with your hero persisting between them, that's quite a nice setup!

As I'm sure you can imagine, this gets me pussy like you wouldn't believe.

I have similar (1-50, IIRC) from a friend at University who was throwing them out.

It... doesn't have that effect for me.

Link1110

zdoEtFR.jpg

I loved these books when I was a kid. Came pretty close to buying a bunch on eBay recently.

Bought a couple at a library sale a few weeks back, and I even used one in an esl class when I had only a couple of students. I never read the Goosebumps version, but it was really fun, and m students enjoyed it too

shuri

Banned
Holy god, The Steve Jackson Sorcery! series! I *LOVED* those books, and the Lone Wolf stuff was incredible too. I have not seen that 'Cityport of traps' pictures in DECADES. So many memories of playing that one during summer vacations over and over again.

The Lone Wolf books were incredible and so EPIC. I only finished 1-5 and then they stopped being translated in french. I saw somewhere that they made over 20 of them (wtf!).. I wonder where they took the storyline, because as far as I remember, the first arc was pretty much self contained.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

This was probably my favorite. So off-the-wall. There was a secret happy ending in the book that no page "linked" to, the only way to find it was to cheat. (I guess like Inside UFO 54-40, OP)

Still, hard to argue with the original:

Meier

There's no way I can remember any of them but I read countless CYOA books as a kid. I'd actually read them during church and use the pew cards as placeholders in case I died by going one route that didn't work out. :lol

I read so much back then.. we'd go to the library and I'd get like 10 books at a time. The Boxcar Children was my favorite series.

My collection stops about where I outgrew the format, so somewhere around CYOA #25-30 or so. I also had a pretty good set of the TSR Endless Quest books until about #14-16. But this stands out as one I really liked...
My favorite (I can barely remember some of the scenes, but that cover is iconic to me):
135373.gif
Like Wolf, I can barely remember anything about it, and what I do remember is actually probably either another CYOA book or the Planetfall book creeping in.

Reading a bit more on the Wiki page and on R.A. Montgomery's reboot site, I get the feeling R.A. is a bit of a dick. His reboot looks really half-assed.

Just to check, I assume people here are aware of Project Aon, right?

Much of the Lone Wolf series with permission granted to be distributed on their site for free, along with a few tools to aid playing them. Given that Lone Wolf lent itself well to being played in serial with your hero persisting between them, that's quite a nice setup!
That's awesome of the rights owners to allow that. Is there functionality in one of the major ebook platforms (Kindle, Nook, Kobo, iBooks) to allow branching to let these be converted?

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
My collection stops about where I outgrew the format, so somewhere around CYOA #25-30 or so. I also had a pretty good set of the TSR Endless Quest books until about #14-16. But this stands out as one I really liked...

Like Wolf, I can barely remember anything about it, and what I do remember is actually probably either another CYOA book or the Planetfall book creeping in.

Reading a bit more on the Wiki page and on R.A. Montgomery's reboot site, I get the feeling R.A. is a bit of a dick. His reboot looks really half-assed.

Edward Packard put out some iPhone apps that are essentially Choose Your Own Adventures, called U-Ventures. Good fun.

mzl.irdzibhs.320x480-75.jpg

Nether!

6835377404_05f072035f_z.jpg

My fave as a kid. I was in the "special" English class for one year and our curriculum revolved entirely around these books. Very familiar.

623108.jpg

This was one of the most disappointing for me though — I remember it being really boring. Loved the art though, it depicted the main character (You) as an asexual human to make the book gender neutral.

Parallacs

I typically go to thrift stores to look for games but I'll brouse the book section to look for that red. Terribly rare at book stores though.

I have about 10 of mine from childhood and and about 20 from the past few years.

My favorites:

Escape - The thought of a divided U.S. terrified me as a kid. Also, something about being chased was awesome.

The Race Forever - For the rally half. The racecar half was fun, but it had obvious traps.

Space Patrol - Lol Star Wars 14 (iirc) on hologram. I love the space ones and this one had a ton of mystery.

Space and Beyond - More space. I couldn't get enough.

Inside UFO 54-40 - If I recall correctly, this one had a secret ending, with a city of gold. You had to be a cheating page flipper to get there though!

Kayhan

I could never be bothered with the dice and keeping stats, so I just ended up assuming I won the battles. Still lost when I turned round the wrong corner or opened the wrong door though.

My two favourites were from the Fighting Fantasy series:

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
tumblr_m6wkl0ENgu1rqszvno1_400.jpg

Starship Traveller
figfan04o.jpg

You stole my post.

I loved these books when I was younger. I loved them so much that sometimes when I would go over to my best friend's house I would take one into the bathroom with me, sit on the floor, and proceed to read for at least 30 minutes at a time. My friend always thought I took massive dumps, but I was instead stealth-reading the CYOA books.

I was such a nerd.

ramyeon

Do you mean *actual* CYOA, or just that ilk? I ask because *this* baby and its family were awesome:

FzG3X00.jpg

A standard adventure gamebook, but it came with a kit of tools that were used with it; the magic potion metre tracked 'health', the coin card did the obvious, a dice to randomly select characters to do various tasks, and there were translators the decipher codes in the book and an overlay card to read out messages from masses of letters. Really felt a lot more involved.

I saw those books with Asterix branding and Famous Five branding, both worked rather well.

While we're sticking with Asterix branding, I'd like to also flag up:

I've only played one of these, but they were again a bit more interesting than a standard gamebook. For one, if I recall correctly, they were actually organised into discrete chapters; you'd still do normal gamebook things within a chapter, but once you'd finished a chapter, you'd move on to another set of pages. For another thing, occasionally it'd break away from the normal gamebook flow system into something a bit more adventurous. I recall one scene where your character had to navigate through a roman camp - displayed on a grid - and as you proceeded you needed to fight or hide from enemies displayed on the map, and if you entered a tent you'd jump to the paragraphs indicated by the tent.
I loved these as a kid. These also bring back memories

And the Mario ones from the same series too.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
These are the only two I remember.

I LOVE the Third Planet from Altair. Love the scenario, love the ship, love the choices. The best ending is actually completely disconnected from any of the choices, just a random page.

Never understood why these types of books petered out.

tuffy

The Sorcery! and Lone Wolf series were the best of the bunch. There was typically one or two good ends per book, a number of bad ends if you really screwed up, but a lot of it just made progression easier or harder depending on how you chose. That meant it wasn't as necessary to back up to the previous entry all the time. Also, the clever world-building and sense of progression from book to book elevated them into epic quests that were more involving than Ian Livingstone's more self-contained Fighting Fantasy books.

Holy poo, I was looking to see if new ones were still published and I saw this little tidbit:

Choose Your Own Adventure, as published by Bantam Books, was one of the most popular children's series during the 1980s and 1990s, selling more than 250 million copies between 1979 and 1998
Almost a 20 year run and 250 million sold. Not too shabby.

calder

Hands down:

There was also one with a similar story where you played a secret agent that was part mystery/puzzle book, part choose your own adventure. It was pretty amazing as a kid, but I can't for the life of me remember much else about it other than an illustration of a gorilla (lol)

YES, by far my favourite but I loved them all. I'm sure I read most, if not all, of the CYOA books, as a kid I kept a list of all the numbers and went to the library at least once a week to see if they had one in I hadn't read before. My best friend was spoiled as shit and his parent bought him every book, but the little shit was basically illiterate and didn't read them at all and didn't want me to crease them up. So he had a couple of shelves of pristine, unopened books mocking me. I hope he enjoys his never-opened figurines or whatever now. ;)

I was also a big fan of the Three Investigators. Wow, in the '80s I didn't realize how old these books were, they didn't seem nearly as dated as Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew (which I was too snobbish to read, that shit was *dated*).

jcz246yVBeOIT.jpg

mclem

That's awesome of the rights owners to allow that. Is there functionality in one of the major ebook platforms (Kindle, Nook, Kobo, iBooks) to allow branching to let these be converted?

Well, there's eBook versions available on the site, but I've no idea if they handle nonlinear progression. They do have a version that works with an accompanying program on the PC which does (and tracks statistics), though.

eXzGuzv.jpg

And the Mario ones from the same series too.

Zelda's face in that bottom one. It's like her head's moved backwards while the hair stayed where it was.

I wasn't aware there were Zelda variants of those, I'd only encountered a few of the Mario ones.

mclem

There was also one with a similar story where you played a secret agent that was part mystery/puzzle book, part choose your own adventure. It was pretty amazing as a kid, but I can't for the life of me remember much else about it other than an illustration of a gorilla (lol)

Sounds a little like The Great Spy Race / Riddle of the Sphinx.

calder

Potentially my favourite series as a kid was Race Against Time by JJ Fortune.

Revenge_in_the_Silent_Tomb.jpg

Most of the action are narrated through a young New York teen named Stephen Lane, who is a movie buff, who always get caught up in some madcap adventures of his uncle, Richard Duffy. Until mother's younger brother moved in with the family into their brownstone on 224½ East 61st Street one day, Stephen spent most of his weekends and other free time watching videos, from old movies to the latest action flicks.

The Lane family only know that Richard Duffy was an engineer who retired unusually young for someone in profession. What they did not know was that he was an adventurer who "blew up more bridges than he built", a highly skilled operative who worked with various government special agencies around the world, and incidentally, made many enemies in his past.
Most of the adventures occur in the absence of Mr. and Mrs. Lane from the household... Things usually happened when both parents went together on weekend business trips (either his or hers). They left Richard to babysit Stephen, expecting nothing more than a prosaic time together for the uncle-nephew duo. However, almost as soon as they left the house, someone or something from Richard's past appeared and sent the duo flying across the world (most of the time), to solve some difficult problems.

The eponymous title of the series came from the time limit the duo had to reach their destination, solve the problem and be back at home before Stephen's parents return, without giving away the slightest hint of what they had been up to.

Crucial to their success, apart from Richard's skills and experience as an adventurer, was his practically unlimited finances, and their special Kronom K-D2 watches with technology far more advanced than was actually available in the 20th century.

Man, the superspy watches. So awesome.

Wow! Lots of great memories here. I jumped into the Choose Your Own Adventure stories with The Cave of Time (#1) when it first came out and bought dozens of them later. They were all so much fun back in the day.

Herne

I had a couple of these when I was young, but I only remember two of them. One was set in a circus that you ran away to, or maybe from. I don't remember much of it. My favourite I remember quite well, though. I think you were a wizard or a wizard's apprentice to three wizard brothers, who charge you with going into a castle to collect something. I believe they had a sleeping master or something, they wanted all the magic for themselves, and sent you on the quest to get or do whatever it was. You were accompanied with a fox and an owl, who bickered often on the journey. It was imaginative and fun, and I must have read it so many times over the years.

That's all I remember.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I don't remember the title, but there was this one book where there was a supercomputer named Acorn that was on a moon base, and was trying to take over the world.

I struggled to fight that thing so much as a kid. There were so many bad endings where the computer outsmarted me and sent me to some horrible doom.

I loved that book. I tried it again and again until I got the good endings.

Askani

They started my love of gaming and still are unmatched in terms of character choice.

the lone wolf series was the best.

9780425084366.jpg

This. Actually just had to dig out my books to show my son. :)

My man. Came to post these.

I loved CYOA, Lone Wolf was my absolute favorite. Still pissed I didn't get in on the Mongoose Publishing hardbacks before they lost the license to print them. Now the books are going for $200+ each.

The best answer.

As trey360 said: For anyone else who hasn't read experienced these Do yourself a favor and go to http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Books

Bums me out a little that with a generation or two raised on these books, visual novels have a hard time getting on Steam, a pretty small stepping stone towards financial success as a genre.

Not to bring that dirty gaming side talk into here or anything.

I used to fucking love the Goosebumps ones, but I'd always do some contortionist shit with my fingers wedged in between different pages to ensure I got the best endings.

akira28

Ah nostalgia, but I don't think that's an adventure book; it only has one path, unless I'm remembering it wrong.

I seem to remember reading a CYOA Blaster Master, through which, I cheated like mad. This might not be the cover though.

Liberty4all

Banned
The correct answer to this thread:

http://www.gamebooks.org/show_item.php?id=950

this series took choose your own adventure to the next level. It was important to take notes throughout the adventures because certain puzzles old lead to a gruesome death if you hadn't been paying attention earlier.

It was followed by

If you liked Choose Your Own Adventure books these two series were god tier reading.

Funny story. In 2005 a buddy and I found Cave of Time at a used store in downtown Toronto. While walking back we ran into Margaret Atwood. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Atwood

Super famous Canadian author, she wrote books read in our high schools ... It would be like running into the Canadian version of Mark Twain. Anyways we got her to sign the copy. We both found this hilarious. We worked with street kids so we donated the copy back to the centre for street involved youth we worked at.

Thought you might appreciate this story.  She had NO idea what she was signing, we both gushed to her how this was book one of an iconic series :)

We told the truth !

Trin

Sounds a little like The Great Spy Race / Riddle of the Sphinx.

It was kind of like that, yeah! But not those ones, thanks for the suggestions though :)

I think it was written in the 90's and iirc the main character was a young girl and she was trying to foil the plot of a mad scientist who was testing on the gorilla. One of the puzzles was decrypting a message. It's going to bother me so much until I can remember!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom