• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christmas NiGHTS appreciation thread.

Best "demo" ever? To think, this freebie is sooooo much more than a friggin demo disc. It's a classic. The beautifully remixed music, the christmassy locales, everything screams gorgeous, even 8 years later, it totally reignites my love for Saturn and NiGHTs.

lordmrw

Hell I think this "freebie" is better than alot of full games. The original Nights would have truly been something if they could have included the features in this in it. I think I enjoyed link attackthe most. I can remember going back and forth with a friend of mine to see who can get the most links. I think I did 200 some odd links before my eyeballs gave out on me and screamed enough.

Yeah, which is why I really put "demo" in quotes. It's probably one of the best gaming Christmas presents that a developer has giving to gamers. There were a lot of special modes in Christmas NiGHTS (like Link attack), and other presents.

Saturnman

Banned
You fools should have gotten it when they were distributed. It also came with a crappy issue of Game Players or Next Generation magazine if you were interested. :)

Koshiro

Saturnman said:
*kisses his two copies of Xmas Nights*
*kisses his two copies of Pal Christmas NiGHTS and his boxed JP Xmas NiGHTS*

I have never been so glad to have three copies of one.. game? Unlocking all the presents gives me more satisfaction than the majority of full games.

FightyF

Banned
I have to agree, it was foolish of me.

It's basically a free game right? Would it be ethically/legally wrong to find a copy and burn a duplicate?

Shinobi

Christmas Nights is the best sampler ever...and even calling it a "sampler" is a disservice. It's an annual tradition for me to whip C Nights out on Christmas Eve, going through the game and listening to the music. Really cool stuff. Sonic Team needs to port Nights + C Nights to Cube/PS2 or the portables for a cheap price.

Shinobi

Fight for Freeform said:
I have to agree, it was foolish of me.

It's basically a free game right? Would it be ethically/legally wrong to find a copy and burn a duplicate?

I wouldn't think so...not that I care much for the law when it comes to such old games, but legally you'd be free and clear (hell, it even says not for resale...so how else can you obtain it???).

Years ago ('96) Sonic Team made a sampler NiGHTS for Christmas that was packed in free with Mags. Had lots of Goodies. Remixed music, new modes, art museums, so forth.

nitewulf

a sampler/demo disk containing one level and a boss fight, w/ a special chirstmas theme. there tons of movies, pictures and cool stuff to unlock. its fantastic, i must have played christmas nights for hours on end. my saturns sound board got busted...i gotta get a replacement saturn.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Right, the musicbox feature of Christmas NiGHTS taps into your regular NiGHTS save file and allows you to remix the music from each level with the Nightopians' artificial life-based moods.

jarrod

Banned
Shinobi said:
Really cool stuff. Sonic Team needs to port Nights + C Nights to Cube/PS2 or the portables for a cheap price.
Mmmmm... PSP NiGHTS would be perfect. I'd take a DS version (maybe with some form of drawing mechanic control) also. :)

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Xmas NiGHTS also has the best remix of Christmas songs around. The level BGM spurs the player through their laps with perfectly blended segments from Joy to the World and Jingle Bells together. As the game adjusts the graphical and musical themes in accordance with the Saturn's internal clock, the holiday streamers, twinkling starlights, shining constellations, and all of the seasonal decor always do such a great job setting the atmosphere.

The Music Box is like the greatest thing ever to happen to my Saturn; it really showed off Sonic Team's musical talents at the time. Other suprises, like playing Sonic and Reala were awesome.

Question: I remember seeing screenshots where NiGHTS is flying around a city scape in the Xmas NiGHTS level. How does one unlock that? What are the conditions?

oh yes Christmas NiGHTS is amazing!

It is more than a *demo*, it is a full fledge fucking side story in my eyes..

as it has so many things to unlock, so many bonuses, plus the time/date specific stuff...

It doesnt sell for that much on ebay, if you like nights, you owe it to yousrelf to own this game..

speaking of which, i am going to sell my burning rangers, it just doesnt hold up these days as anything amazingly special.. i used to love it, but now adays. i basically only want to turn on my sega saturn for nights, fighter's megamix, last bronx and virtua fighter kids..

speaking of those: last bronx and virtua fighter kids i just got this last month; and they are both great... always wanted last bronx back in the day, can remember reading the previews and being wowed by the graphics.. well the graphcis suck today, just like all the other saturn games (except for nights, which still amazes me ... seriously)... but last bronx is a whole lot of fun.

and for a virtua fighter fan, virtua fighter kids is just a great romp.

EDIT:

mind you, i am a huge Nights freak, and sleep every night, since 97 or so, on a nights into dreams pillow.. i am 23, and still use that pillow.. even though the image is so faded i can barely see it.

Damn, LuckyBrand, why do you have to like Nights? Now I can't COMPLETELY hate you. :)

Anyone looking for a copy should hit up their local Blockbuster. I bought my copy there a few years ago & have seen it at least three times this year.

Saint Cornelius said:
Damn, LuckyBrand, why do you have to like Nights? Now I can't COMPLETELY hate you. :)

Anyone looking for a copy should hit up their local Blockbuster. I bought my copy there a few years ago & have seen it at least three times this year.

nights or christmas nights cornelius?

if its christmas nights, pick them up, as they are probably $5, and ill pay for them and the shipping and give them away here on GA or something.. maybe have a sonic team trivia or some shit.... or just give them to huge nights fans that couldnt find them... PM about this okay???

also, why woudl you hate me?! i provide some fun conversation on the off-topic board sometimes, and reasonably stupid in my personal life to provide fun reading, and also have unique and fair tastes in gaming... i was a nintendo fanboy at one time, a HUGE sega fanboy at one time (and still repressed sega fanboy), and now an xbox fanboy.. only thing i havent been is a sony fanboy and that might change with the PSP... dont hate, congratulate playa!!!

Shinobi said:
Hmmm...don't ever remember seeing that. Nothing about it at Dave's Saturn page either.

I've only seen one screenshot of it, in a story about it for Next Gen magazine. I'll try to find the page and scan it in.

LuckyBrand said:
speaking of which, i am going to sell my burning rangers, it just doesnt hold up these days as anything amazingly special.. i used to love it, but now adays. i basically only want to turn on my sega saturn for nights, fighter's megamix, last bronx and virtua fighter kids..

Hey I'll take it off your hands. Make me an offer.

bjork

It's a holiday tradition now, for me to bust out the Saturn and play this every year.

Hell, I even had Christmas NiGHTS as a SN on AOL during the holidays one year...

+10 tre, NiGHTS> things

bjork said:
It's a holiday tradition now, for me to bust out the Saturn and play this every year.

Hell, I even had Christmas NiGHTS as a SN on AOL during the holidays one year...

+10 tre, NiGHTS> things

hell ya to christmas tradition!! chalk up another that did the same thing!

though now i have my xbox and sega saturn both hooked up permanently, so it wont be as big of a deal hooking up the saturn like it was for a couple christmases there..

wish they woulda released that PC version they were working on way back when..

that level you are thinking of might have been one of the PC levels that ended up never getting released... or the final level/boss level, or the FMV...

Wulfer

I truly think that this game and Panzer Dragoon Series were the top of Sega's creative edge. I just wish that edge would come back....

lordmrw

I wish SOnic Team would stop fucking with everyone and teasing us with Nights minigames and such. Just make the damn game already. Christ, I'm pretty sure the Gamecube audience that bought all their other games would leap on this shit in a heartbeat.

WULFER said:
I truly think that this game and Panzer Dragoon Series were the top of Sega's creative edge. I just wish that edge would come back....

Actually, I think many of Sega's Saturn games, along with their Dreamcast lineup, was Sega at it's creative best.

I love the Christmas Mixed of the theme song and the littel gifts that you can open and collect after you finish each play session. This sampler is almost a full game on its own. Also, if I am not mistaken, I think Christmas NiGHTS actually read the AI Life save file from the original NiGHTS so that it those little guys hate u in NiGHTS, they will hate you in Christmas NiGHTS.

ge-man

WULFER said:

People tend to pan sequels and stuff these days, but Sega has so many potential titles that people want I don't know why they continue to sit on stuff. My Outrun dream came true, but we still have several titles like NiGHTS, PDS sequel, Daytona 3, and a new Sega Rally that gamers are still praying for.

Good lord I wish Sega wasn't wasting their time with PSU or Matrix Online. I would give away an organ to have back the Sega of the Saturn era.

RiZ III

The best part in Xmas NiGHTS was be able to mix the songs. I looooooved that. There was a really awsome mix I had of Soft Museum. Too bad there was no way to record it.

Top Bottom