• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Judge on Ragnarok Delay

KingT731

em7BzHP.png
dniJVmA.png
YDX3iVG.png
644mhdO.png
XG1umIN.png
OHYtH3F.png

Crazy health issues

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Well worth the delay, he's great as Kratos.
Gotta let him be fit for mo-cap.
Recasting would have been a terrible idea.

Interesting to see him be so honest.
My bet is that God of War winning that IGN poll got him a lil emotional.
Throw in some drinks, and we got late night tweets lol.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This is so wholesome. Kudos to Sony, SSM, and Cory Barlog for not being a dick and actually care about their product and the people involved in making them great.

Ragnarok just wouldn't have felt okay if Judge wasn't Kratos. I'd not be okay with that, no matter what.

God of War is just made with so much love and care, and it's rare in today's state of the industry.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Also, just reaffirms my faith in Eric Williams once again. I absolutely trust Cory, and if he says Eric is great, then he is great. Christopher backing Eric is also a wonderful sign of great things to come!

cormack12

Gold Member
He didn't

OHYtH3F.png

That radical reimaging of what Kratos' journey could be is one Barlog directed and shepherded through to its acclaimed launch, and though he had grand plans for the series, as he told us in our God of War spoilercast, he isn't directing Ragnarok. Williams, a veteran of the franchise who has been involved with it in some form or another since 2004 across many of its entries, is now sitting in the director's chair.

Last edited:

kikkis

Good on all parties involved but I have to say I doubt that is the reason for delay. It's not like production is put to ice like in case of that maze runner sequel. I mean games are not like movies.

arvfab

Banned
OHYtH3F.png

That radical reimaging of what Kratos' journey could be is one Barlog directed and shepherded through to its acclaimed launch, and though he had grand plans for the series, as he told us in our God of War spoilercast, he isn't directing Ragnarok. Williams, a veteran of the franchise who has been involved with it in some form or another since 2004 across many of its entries, is now sitting in the director's chair.

I meant Judge didn't quit.

arvfab

Banned
Are you reading that tweet?

How else are you interpreting that? Because I can't see any other way?

That's what Cory told him, and than he told him that Eric is a beast.

EDIT: reading it again, it might imply that he wanted to quit, but Cory convinced him to stay because Eric is a beast.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Good on all parties involved but I have to say I doubt that is the reason for delay. It's not like production is put to ice like in case of that maze runner sequel. I mean games are not like movies.
The implication here is that they could not finish mo-cap because Judge wasn't available. They were working on other things but if Judge could do the mo-cop as scheduled, the game might not have been delayed.

That's what Christopher Judge is implying here. For all we know, that could be the real reason here. We know that Horizon Forbidden West got delayed because they couldn't finish shooting the final scenes because the Netherlands went into lockdown again, disturbing Guerrilla's schedule and plans of releasing HFW in Fall 2021.

Great Hair

Banned
Damn, no wonder Kratos couldn't jump.
Surprised he quit as well

...are you trying to save face perhaps? Hmm ...

Cory said to Judge "i quit (no joke) ..." HE SAID (Cory said to Judge)

Last thing:

Judge: Barlog told me @tribeca, that he wouldn´t direct the sequel.
Cory: "I quit (no joke)!"
Cory: "Do you trust me?!"
Judge: Yes!
Cory: "Eric is a beast!"
Judge "He better be..."
Judge: UPDATE (something? his profile?), ERIC WILLIAMS iS A Motherfucking BEAST!

Sort of downplaying Eric´s capabilities "He better be ..."

Do we know, what he directed before GOW2 and what the fuck is GofW?

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
I think you're reading it wrong.

Barlog said he wouldn't be directing.
Judge quit.
Barlog said to Judge 'Do you trust me because Eric is a beast'
Judge said 'He better be' and then looks like he came back on board
Judge now confirming Barlog was right.

Yes, I edited my last comment while you were answering. Think this is probably what happened.

Makes me hopeful for the sequel. Maybe we have another GOAT candidate here.

arvfab

Banned

Punctuation is a bit strange, but I think he is right. Read it like you the first time, than saw the dot after "I quit" and a comma after the "he said".

Nevertheless, Judge in the end didn't quit.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
davidjaffe davidjaffe would have dragged that cripple out of bed for the original GOW. These new director types are too soft.

I wonder how many lunatics that sent Alanah Pearce abuse will row back on that? Answers on a postcard.

Also recognising the big balls on Cory Barlog to take the flak for something outside SSM's control and also something he wasn't leading. Hopefully we get to hear about that game he's making once Ragnarok releases. Ragnarok could have been 2021 even with COVID... fucking hell that teaser wasn't a scam. For a while I thought it could have been a bit dishonest. Never doubting SSM again.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Also recognising the big balls on Cory Barlog to take the flak for something outside SSM's control and also something he wasn't leading. Hopefully we get to hear about that game he's making once Ragnarok releases. Ragnarok could have been 2021 even with COVID... fucking hell that teaser wasn't a scam. For a while I thought it could have been a bit dishonest. Never doubting SSM again.
Signs of a great leader that inspire people around him.

SkylineRKR

english is not even my native language but I think I got straight away

Judge initially wanted to quit because Barlog wouldn't be at the helm. Barlog is then positive about the new director and Judge stays, updates that the new director is indeed good.

Shubh_C63

lol how is this difficult to understand people.

Anyway, SMS always strike me as amazing people, at their jobs and maybe in general too.

cormack12

Gold Member

Last thing:

Judge: Barlog told me @tribeca, that he wouldn´t direct the sequel.
Cory: "I quit (no joke)!"
Cory: "Do you trust me?!"
Judge: Yes!
Cory: "Eric is a beast!"
Judge "He better be..."
Judge: UPDATE (something? his profile?), ERIC WILLIAMS iS A Motherfucking BEAST!

Sort of downplaying Eric´s capabilities "He better be ..."

Do we know, what he directed before GOW2 and what the fuck is GofW?

That doesn't even make any sense, lmao. he wouldn't change the PoV from I to he if it was the same. Either way no one quit permanently so it doesn't really matter, just surprised anyone would quit

The ‘he said’ part is Judge talking about Barlog. Ie. Barlog said he quit, then mentions the other guy taking his place is a beast.

Nah doesn't make sense. He wouldn't have Cory talking about himself as 'I', then segue into 'he'. Also what did Barlog 'quit' - SSM? Not at all, and you don't 'quit' an IP either. You jsut work on other stuff.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
What caused all of those health issues? Wow

seems strange that he would be the cause of the delay though, are the cutscenes/VA really the long pole?

Guy does mo-cap for years, on top of he was a actor for a heavy action series for a long ass time, and bigger people usually have these type of issues because of all that mass. He's also a big avid lifter. He's also 56.

ParaSeoul

I'm glad hes back on his feet but why wait until now to address this? I'm sure if this came out as official statement back then most people would understand or did they just not want people concerned?

bitbydeath

That doesn't even make any sense, lmao. he wouldn't change the PoV from I to he if it was the same. Either way no one quit permanently so it doesn't really matter, just surprised anyone would quit

Nah doesn't make sense. He wouldn't have Cory talking about himself as 'I', then segue into 'he'. Also what did Barlog 'quit' - SSM? Not at all, and you don't 'quit' an IP either. You jsut work on other stuff.
Makes sense to me, saying he quit just meant he (Cory) moved on from that position.
I quit.(no joke) he said, do you trust me?(yes) He said Eric is a beast. I said he better be

‘I quit.(no joke) he said, —Chris stating Cory said this, otherwise it comes out as him talking in the third person about himself.

‘do you trust me?’ —This is a continuation of what Cory said.
(yes) — Chris said.
He said Eric is a beast. —Phrasing what Cory said.
I said he better be —Chris said.

Last edited:

Vlodril

I'm glad hes back on his feet but why wait until now to address this? I'm sure if this came out as official statement back then most people would understand or did they just not want people concerned?

It's personal stuff and the studio didn't want to divulge it even if it would make people behave better about the delay (which is commendable). The guy went through a rough time so i am guessing video games were the furthest thing from his mind.

ParaSeoul

It's personal stuff and the studio didn't want to divulge it even if it would make people behave better about the delay (which is commendable). The guy went through a rough time so i am guessing video games were the furthest thing from his mind.
I agree with the first part but then you had to ruin it with the last part. Ragging on videos game doesn't quite have the same effect when he was probably very passionate about this particular one.

Top Bottom