• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan next movie named

MDSLKTR

Tenet - July 17, 2020

Christopher Nolan is directing Tenet from his own screenplay and using IMAX and 70mm film for the project. The highly-anticipated film is being described as “an action epic evolving from the world of international espionage.” It’s now filming on location across seven countries.
In Tenet, John David Washington leads a cast that also includes Robert Pattinson, Elizabeth Debicki, Dimple Kapadia, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Clémence Poésy, Michael Caine and Kenneth Branagh. The movie is being produced by Christopher Nolan and his wife Emma Thomas, with Thomas Hayslip serving as an executive producer.

Nolan taking on espionage? That's bold. Because that's Metal Gear territory of dramatic tension and "who is who?" and "what's really going on?" and "how is this gonna be handled?"

I'm gonna say something bold, myself. I think the Batman movies were great (minus rises) because of his brother, Jonathan Nolan. I don't know who it is the story is mostly coming from but I have a high suspicion that his brother did most of the leg work when it comes to the writing. I think Nolan is a great photographer.

Inception was visually stunning. Story was okay enough to not be distracting, but it was nowhere near as thought provoking as Nolan would like it to be. It confused me for a long time as to whether or not the end was a dream or reality. The open ended nature of the end probably just confused most people. That's the thing with Nolan, he's not crystal clear and I believe he thinks he's being very sophisticated and intelligent by being on the more vague side of things.

Dunkirk to me was all visuals (butt fuckingly stunning as fuck visuals), but got boring after the first 20-25 minutes. Because the same things basically repeated over and over in the loudest possible fashion before a forced dramatic ending.

I think if you paired Nolan with a great writer, something off the walls amazing could be produced. But of course the man loves to do it all himself to retain all credit, which I can understand.

Nolan is my fav director, can't wait! Love pretty much evetything from him - memento, intelstellar (one of my fav movies ever, watched it 5+times) inception, prestige. Yeah bring it on

Hyped as usual. Love me some Nolan! It seems like this film will be a spiritual successor to Inception (Tenth year anniversary of Inception/Tenet/Espionage/Michael Cane/International locations/same Costumer Designer as inception).

Sorcerer

Pattinson? Caine? Batman/Bruce Wayne and Alfred together again. International Espionage? I guess if Nolan is doing this he probably won't be doing a Bond, this movie will get it out of his system perhaps.

Last edited:

O-N-E

I actually loved Dunkirk, and Interstellar is one of my favorite movies ever. People laugh at me for that but whatever, I adore that movie.

I don't care what people say, the scene with McConaughey reviewing the videos sent to him by his family makes it such a memorable film. Also that thing that happens at the climax.

crowbrow

Banned
How's Dunkirk? It always appears on my Netflix recs but I've never seen it. Nolan is hit or miss with me. I like Interstellar though.

Ownage

I would love to see Nolan do a Compton thug life gangsta flick. Old OGs and how they got their hustle on.

O-N-E

How's Dunkirk? It always appears on my Netflix recs but I've never seen it. Nolan is hit or miss with me. I like Interstellar though.

Even as a Nolan fan, I wasn't excited going in, but it was a great movie. Very intense. He knows his craft.

Edit: I also thought it was pretty cool that my favourite character ended up being the one played by Tom Hardy, even though he never has a conversation. It's just action.

Last edited:
I haven't watched Dunkirk yet, but I loved Interstellar.

Of course Michael Caine is in this, It wouldn't have been surprising to see Tom Hardy too.

It's kinda refreshing to hear of a film being made from a man's own ideas instead of the gargantuesque Disney machine.

They were filming this movie right here in my home town this July.

I have some pics that some of our locals took but the upload feature doesn't seem to work for me right now.

Last edited:

llien

I actually loved Dunkirk, and Interstellar is one of my favorite movies ever. People laugh at me for that but whatever, I adore that movie.
The best Sci Fi move I've seen in the recent years.
But then, I also appreciate Avatar.

Dontero

Banned

Better than that garbage Interstellar.
At least pathos which nolan is oversaturated with fits Dunkirk as this is rendition of real events with real heroes.

Last edited:

Porcile

Nolan films for me go in three stages:

In cinema as the credits roll, "Damn, that was really dope."

Outside the cinema after thinking about the movie for a few mins as I'm about to go home, "Damn... Was that really dope?..."

Me at home later posting about the movie on GAF, "WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT FUCK NOLAN IS A HACK!!!"

Dontero

Banned

Outside the cinema after thinking about the movie for a few mins as I'm about to go home, "Damn... Was that really dope?..."

Me at home later posting about the movie on GAF, "WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT FUCK NOLAN IS A HACK!!!"

His early movies are great and dark knight is legit but interstellar has so many logic failtures that you question if monkeys wrote the script.

Nolan is walking Ridley Scott now imho trying to make interesting movies but failing at basics.

0neAnd0nly

Interesting to see the divide about this movie.

Prefacing, I am a Nolan fan. Would say he is probably my favorite director and also the person I want more than anyone to helm the next Bond reboot. So I tend to be a little bias on his work.

Dunkirk is a much different tone from most films, his included. I feel as though to appreciate Dunkirk you need the following:

1. Watch in theatre or have a substantial TV size.

2. Surround sound.

3. Free of distraction.

If you have access to those, and have an appreciation for art and history - Dunkirk will be enjoyable. It is much more like an art gallery of re-enactments of that particular series of events. There is very little dialogue much of the time, there isn’t some deep and weaving story line, and it isn’t a full stop “entertaining” movie. It’s a movie that plays a lot of different angles, somewhat of a slow burn, takes some actual focus to really follow, and relies heavily on 2 of your senses (which is why I say a big screen and surround sound is mandatory to actually get the experience).

It’s certainly more art than most films today. So if that sounds like your style, I have no hesitation to recommend it. It’s definitely a different kind of rodeo from most of the movies green lit today.

The best movies are those that embrace visual storytelling so Dunkirk is easily Nolan's best. I hated the exposition in most of his other movies but this time he let the images speak for themselves. I watched it multiple times in digital IMAX and it was fucking awesome. Earned that Tenet ticket from me!

God Enel

100% agree, especially with his last 2 or 3 movies. Interstellar and Inception were awesome in the cinema but afterwards they felt very mediocre. His last good movie imho was the dark knight (haven't seen dunkirk).

Super Mario

Banned
I'll never forget leaving the theater after both Dark Knight and Inception. Rarely anymore do I leave that satisfied from a film. Can't wait!

Top Bottom