• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan reportedly producing an ‘Akira’ Trilogy for Warner Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyun Sai

Someone called Jupiter Ascending hard sci fi a few months ago.

YxhCJAR.gif

But yeah, saying Akira is hard sci fi and Interstellar is not doesn't make much sense.

Ridley327

A trilogy seems unnecessary considering how well the animated film was able to adapt the manga. It's going to suck having to wait 'till the third movie for the final showdown between Kaneda & Tetsuo.

It barely covered two volumes of a six volume manga. There's plenty of material for a trilogy.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
The worst thing that could happen is that they make a bad movie. It's not going to tarnish the legacy of the original movie.

However, if Akira succeeds, it may pave the way for more quality Hollywood adaptions of Japanese media, and that will increase the popularity of anime and manga in the rest of the world.

Akira is barely even sci-fi...

If this is a trilogy, that seems to imply they're adapting the manga. Which could be pretty neat.
Or a complete disaster

G-Fex

Why does Warner ..why the fuck does Hollywood have such a hard on to cash in on Akira..really I'm really serious. Why?

Karsha

Mhh not sure why 3 movies, the way Akira plays out seem to fit better for a single movie, i'd be weird seeing a final movie only about desctuction and going insane

Dead

well not really...yet
As long as he stays away from the camera. Nolan does not have the visual imagination necessary to bring this over to live action.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
*bwum bwum*

"I'll be solving math equations... with my left hand..."

*bwum bwumm*

"and eating... with my right..."

*BWRM BWRR* *bup*

*BWRRR BWRRRRMMMMMM* *bup*

"I'll take a potato chip..." *BWRRRRMMM BWRRRRMMMMM, BWRRRRMMMM BWRRRMMMMMMM*

"AND EAT IT!" *BRNNNNNNNN BWEEEEEEEEEEEEE

BRRRRRNNNNNN BWEEEEEEEE*

*cinematic zim-zam percussion boom*

*BRRRRENNNNNNNHHHHHHHHH*

*somber piano notes*

*potato chip explodes into glitter*

All I can picture is Cillian Murphy eating chips.

mugwhump

I don't mind. Even if it sucked, we'd still have the original. I'd be happy if it was as good as Edge of Tomorrow.

If they're going all out and doing the manga, yes it does.

I dunno, if they actually followed the manga I would expect 1 movie for volumes 1-3, then another for volumes 4-6. Very clean separation between those arcs.

But I severely doubt they would follow the manga closely, if this actually got made.

Not

Banned
Not one mention of whitewashing in this entire article. They don't even understand why people don't want this made.

yami4ct

Every time WB 'tries' to make Akria, the news sounds a little less garbage. It sounds like they get a little closer to why people like the original.

Still, I highly doubt this will ever get made. It's a good thing too, as the animation is a really significant chunk of what makes Akira amazing. I have no clue how you make that film in live action without losing a huge amount of charm the original has.

Busty

Banned
SlashFilm have updated their story on this to call shenanigans on the whole affair.

Update: I’ve spoken to three people today who say that the Nolan angle in this story is completely off-base. So we’ll stick with the knowledge that Warner Bros. is indeed developing the project and nothing else at this point.

http://www.slashfilm.com/akira-live-action/

I think that WB are moving forward (albeit slowly) on a (potential) trilogy of Akira films and given the recent dating of Nolan's next film I think someone, somewhere got their wires crossed and here we are with a story that totally jumped the gun.

Both things are likely true but not actually connected.

The only two Japanese animated films I want to see as live-action movies:

James Cameron's BATTLE ANGEL (might happen in 2036 when he's finished with fucking Avatar)

Luc Besson's GOLGO 13 (I made that up... but it would be cool :p)

Gonzalez

Banned
You know I'm re-reading Akira, and I have no idea why I liked the books in the first place. I've gone through 3 volumes, and I've noticed it's just a series of Miyazaki like action set pieces with subtle comedic undertones, featuring a very unlikable cast of characters.

Luc Besson's GOLGO 13 (I made that up... but it would be cool :p)

Well Batista has become a full-time actor, so there is a chance at that happening.

Busty

Banned
You know I'm re-reading Akira, and I have no idea why I liked the books in the first place. I've gone through 3 volumes, and I've noticed it's just a series of Miyazaki like action set pieces with subtle comedic undertones, featuring a very unlikable cast of characters.

Sounds good.

...., or interesting at the very least.

Busty

Banned
Did anyone really think that this unannounced Nolan picture as really going to be Akira?!

C'mon!!!!

I knew it was going to be an original idea but the fact that he came up with the idea in his teens is interesting.

I'm calling it now. It's a 'Blade Runner esque' sci-fi actioner.

*folds arms*

RedSwirl

I started flipping through the manga again, wondering where they'd try to split it up if it ended up being three movies.

I guess the first one would mostly deal with the biker gang conflicts and the beginning of Tetsuo's transformation. Second movie could be about Tetsuo and Kaneda infiltrating/fighting the military and Tetsuo eventually awakening Akira, ends with Akira blowing up Neotokyo/wherever. Third movie is the whole post-destruction arc, maybe slightly longer than the first two.
If done right an Akira trilogy could be set up for drastic changes of scenery between each film.

IMO it would work best as a TV series or mini series, I have tons of respect for Nolan, but Hollywoood gonna Hollywood, they'll whitewash the shit out of it.

The characters will be recast as Americans, they'll bring throw more salt in the world in the wounds but setting in fucking California. They'll no doubt remove the Japanese philosophical elements and characters like Lady Miyako and her monks.

Anime series or bust.

Does it end the same way?

The manga and the anime are very different.

No, the film only covers about a third of what happens in the manga Akira is alive and well in the manga, he's broken out of stasis by Tetsuo who has acquired power due to a military experiment. There is a massive power struggle and Mr. Nezu's group try to acquire Akira for themselves and the military mounts a manhunt to locate him.

Eventually Mr. Nezu attempts to kill Akira to keep the military from reacquiring him, he fails and kills Takashi one of the the other psychics. This event triggers Akira's power, he levels the entire city, Kaneda is thrown into limbo between worlds. Tetsuo reunites with Akira afterwards.

Afterwards rival factions vie for control of Neo Tokyo, now divided between the Great Tokyo Empire - a group of fanatics led by Tetsuo and Lady Miyako's group. Tetsuo's group is violently aggressive and develops their own psychic shock troopers by giving volunteers the same drugs Tetsuo was subjected to. They hold spectacles in the ruins of an old stadium, with Tetsuo performing feats of wonder with his powers. Lady Miyako's group are more like peacekeeper's, they pass out food and tend to the sick. Tetsuo's groups sees them as a threat to their dominance and repeatedly attack the temple Miyako is based in.

The American Navy watches over the situation by positioning it's fleet close by. They eventually send in Lt George Yamada and a small special forces team, Yamada conducts surveillance on Tetsuo's to learn more about them, he eventually joins forces with Ryu, a member of Mr. Nezu's old group. He has run ins with Tetsuo's shock troopers, but he kills them easily. It is later revealed that he has been sent in to assassinate both Tetsuo and Akira.

Tetsuo begins an agonising withdrawal from the drugs so that his power may grow after talking with Lady Miyako, his body begins to mutate and deform in increasingly sickening ways as it grows beyond the limits of his body. He experiences an incredible awakening and achieves a new level power similar to Akira's, this rupturing of the fabric of reality releases Kaneda from limbo. He catches up with his old friends and learns of what has transpired.

Meanwhile Kei has been undergoing training with Miyako, she is to act as a medium, the others will channel their powers through her in a daring plan to defeat Tetsuo. Kaneda learns of this and because of his feelings for Kei refuses to let her take the risk. He defiantly gets together his allies and heads out to kill his former friend once and for all. After an insane battle, Akira's power is triggered and he absorbs Tetsuo within him, the two powers cancel one another out and both Tetsuo and Akira leave the world, seemingly ascending to a higher plane of existence.

This is only a brief outline of events to be honest, bear in the mind the original manga is some 2052 pages long and ran for eight years. Otomo had even finished it when the film was made.

AC!D

Like every Akira thread on here, it's full of people coming to the conclusion that the manga is better just because it's so long. Just like every other serialised manga I've read, the story is padded out with filler to keep it running on another couple of weeks. (I do LOVE the comic though)

Akira the movie condenses all the main themes of the comic Otomo wanted to address, and packs them into a two hour movie, and does a great job of it.

If a live action remake is made, there will be no winners. Average cinema goers have no idea as to what Akira is. Akira fans won't be happy unless it's 100% faithful to the original material (we all know that's not happening). Investors won't be happy when their return is nothing compared to the likes of the Marvel/DC adaptions.

I love Inception and Memento, if there's one director that can pull this off it's Nolan, but he's named as producer here which, really, doesn't gaurantee the quality of the film.

If people want to watch Akira so badly, try should probably just go watch Akira.

I am kinda glad this has been debunked. I love Chris Nolan movies but there are a few reasons why I would rather someone else handle this:

• I would rather see him do some more original projects.
  • I don't think I could see him doing another trilogy without having breaks in-between instalments, and that would mean the trilogy would likely be drawn out over too long a period.
  • I also don't think his visual style would be the best match for something like Akira.

I would love to see one of the following people handle:

• James Cameron
  • Alfonso Cuaron
  • Gore Verbinski
  • Niell Blomkamp
  • Jon Favreau
  • JJ Abrams
  • Guillermo Del Toro
  • James Gunn
  • Zack Snyder
  • Sam Raimi
  • Rupert Wyatt