• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan reportedly producing an ‘Akira’ Trilogy for Warner Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I'm thinking they will change the title to "Stuart" or something along those lines lol

Nah they're gonna stick to the title or my name isn't Kaneda
Washington Sawyer Finn Pamela Anderson Leigh

Gnome

He would do a good job. People in here acting like Akira is some kind of holy grail of a story that's above Nolan, it isn't.

Sojgat

There is absolutely no chance, if the movies are made, that they are both set in Japan and rated R. It's just not gonna happen.

I'm thinking they will change the title to "Stuart" or something along those lines lol

They'll call it Akira, but he'll be the only Japanese character.

Be excited.

So either WB assumes that a massive audience will come out based alone on Nolan & Akira name recognition, or the film is adapted for a US setting.

I think it's possible (highly possible) that WB believes Nolan's name is the draw. I don't think anyone at the studio thinks Leo DiCaprio is why Inception worked, and the McConnaissance wasn't enough of an explanation for why Interstellar worked. Christian Bale isn't why Batman worked, either. Nolan reinvented Batman, and that reinvention of Batman is almost 100% laid at his feet.

So they might think that whatever prestige the "Akira" branding might add would be enough to stand-in for whatever "star power" he'd otherwise have to lean on (that he hasn't really leaned on) in addition to his name and his reputation as being the guy who makes the smart blockbusters you can watch and feel like you ate your veggies.

A lot of Akira is social criticism and religious elements. Might as well do it as a Western take rather than emulating the Asian one.

But a lot of that social and religious criticism is very specifically based in Japanese culture, and a culture specifically colored by being the only country in the world that's had a nuclear bomb dropped on it. Not saying you couldn't translate it to America, but it wouldn't work the same way, and probably not anywhere near as powerfully, either.

Plus, you'd have to imagine that Christopher Nolan is a pretty smart guy. He knows the knocks on his filmmaking tendencies, and he's tried addressing them in little ways as he moves along. I have a hard time believing he rolls into WB, suggests taking over Akira, and doesn't immediately recognize that he's now going to have to answer questions as to why he feels like the story is automatically improved by taking it out of Japan, removing it from that cultural context, and giving the story to a bunch of older white men. That's a question he can't avoid if he signs on. So if he's not prepared to attempt answering that question, much less have a good answer for it - why would he take the job?

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
It's a good and unique 6 volume sci-fi dystopian sort of Manga that became a groundbreaking tentpole of anime with it's adaptation (directed by the Manga's writer).

Akira is the name of a major character- saying anymore would spoil it though; really suggest watching or reading it (and avoiding too many online descriptors).

It's excellent as a film, and excellent as an anime if you want a more complete tale.

As for the Nolan hate....don't get that either. Personally don't think Akira can be or needs to be adapted though.

Yeah I read the plot on Wikipedia just before reading your post. Sounds interesting, but Wikipedia probably didn't do it justice so it's hard for me to get really excited.

If he was directing tho..., dude is my favorite director. Never let me down and probably one of the few directors where his movies are like events you just have to go to. I'd still like for him to work on something original like with Interstellar and Inception. How often do we get huge blockbusters that are original? Nolan delivers and the hate is just stupid.

I love manga so much. One of the best media pieces in recent history imo.
I watched the movie only recently and I think it is so much worse than the original, it hurts.
It is still top-notch, and I understand, that adapting something of this grand scale to a 1.5 hour movie is impossible. And I find it funny that creation of movie began before manga was finished so I consider it really rushed out in plot part.

I never really think hard about it. But now I would totally agree, that adapting Akira into whatever movie-movie series-tv show-etc is impossible task without losing too much to the point of being not adaptation, but something-something made inspired by.

p.s. I really like that during manga colonel was total antagonist at first, and in the second half he became one of my favourity characters.

As long it's not set in "Neo America"

Oh, but it will be. Taking Japanese IPs and stripping them of their Japaneseness is what Hollywood does best. If they do retain any of the Japanese characters, expect them to be played by actors who are Chinese-American or any Asian ethnicity besides Japanese.

Oh, and expect Lucy Liu to be in it for some reason.

Jarmel

Banned
But a lot of that social and religious criticism is very specifically based in Japanese culture, and a culture specifically colored by being the only country in the world that's had a nuclear bomb dropped on it. Not saying you couldn't translate it to America, but it wouldn't work the same way, and probably not anywhere near as powerfully, either.

Plus, you'd have to imagine that Christopher Nolan is a pretty smart guy. He knows the knocks on his filmmaking tendencies, and he's tried addressing them in little ways as he moves along. I have a hard time believing he rolls into WB, suggests taking over Akira, and doesn't immediately recognize that he's now going to have to answer questions as to why he feels like the story is automatically improved by taking it out of Japan, removing it from that cultural context, and giving the story to a bunch of older white men. That's a question he can't avoid if he signs on. So if he's not prepared to attempt answering that question, much less have a good answer for it - why would he take the job?

Which is why I think he's going to do a looser adaptation as many components would have to be retooled. Things like the terrorism angle will be ravamped and expanded on to reflect a Western audience. Trying to do a strict adaptation opens up a whole can of worms on that I think he doesn't really want to deal with. Not to mention he seems to like having his own flair on a work.

If he does go ahead with it, he can still cast Japanese-American leads in Neo-New York. Which could be a way of tackling immigration issues in the USA. Also by doing a 'looser' adaptation he could probably disarm some potential critics by taking the George RR Martin stance of separating himself from the manga to a point.

I just can't see this taking place in Japan. Would Nolan really choose this as the hill he wants to die on?

I think it's possible (highly possible) that WB believes Nolan's name is the draw. I don't think anyone at the studio thinks Leo DiCaprio is why Inception worked, and the McConnaissance wasn't enough of an explanation for why Interstellar worked. Christian Bale isn't why Batman worked, either. Nolan reinvented Batman, and that reinvention of Batman is almost 100% laid at his feet.

So they might think that whatever prestige the "Akira" branding might add would be enough to stand-in for whatever "star power" he'd otherwise have to lean on (that he hasn't really leaned on) in addition to his name and his reputation as being the guy who makes the smart blockbusters you can watch and feel like you ate your veggies.
Still, those three are all verifiable Hollywood A-listers with multiple hits to their credit already. The casts were packed with stars and the marketing nailed home that point. Nolan has tremendous name recognition among film circles, but most of America still cares about a recognisable star.

Plus there's the fact that making a big budget movie thematically about the consequences of Hiroshima might face an uphill battle getting screened in China. Hell , some of the more conservative parts of the US might object to it.

giphy.gif

Would Nolan really choose this as the hill he wants to die on?

That's why it's the question, for me. He's got enough clout to push the issue. If anyone at that studio could make the case that he doesn't want to, and he shouldn't have to, change the fundamental nature of Akira for the sake of making a movie out of it, it's probably Nolan. Would he be willing to spend that capital on this movie?

And if not - then what about the material is calling to him so much that he's looking to ride herd over another three-part comics-adaptation? And what angle could he possibly provide to Akira that would somehow justify taking it out of Japan and giving it to Joseph Gordon Levitt and Leonardo DiCaprio? Is there even such a thing? And if there isn't, why would Nolan be dumb enough to convince himself that's the way he should go?

nolans got a great track record of subbing in actors from the british isles in place of characters actual ethnicity in his adaptations so I can wait to see what hes going to do here

munchie64

I would be OK with this. Even if the films are bad (and who knows who'd write or direct at this point) a good looking live action Akira would be a visual treat. Even better if it does some of the stuff from the manga that the film never did. Nolan being behind it would give me some faith tho.

As for Americanisation or the like? I could personally take it or leave it. Preferably leave it, but as I said: It looking good would be a start for my mind.
McConnaissance
This is amazing.

Nolan has tremendous name recognition among film circles, but most of America still cares about a recognisable star.

I'm not certain this is really true. Or rather, the definition of "star" has become diluted enough that it doesn't mean what it used to mean. I really do think Nolan's name has recognition, period. The marketing for every movie after Batman Begins put Nolan right up front. The casts are solid, yes, but Warner Bros makes sure to let everyone know that the real draw isn't that Leonardo DiCaprio is stealing dreams, or Matthew McConaughey is surfing killer waves in outer space. It's that Christopher Nolan is going to fuck with your senses again. That's almost always the thrust of the marketing for all his films.

What America will and won't show up for has less to do with stars, and more to do with branding/concept, anymore. They don't even have to be all that familiar with the branding, so long as its presented strongly, and they can wrap their heads around the concept. Nolan and WB have created a little brand for themselves, and it's very successful, and it's tied into making very large sci-fi that seems very smart for a blockbuster.

Akira fits right in with that. But an Akira taken out of Japan and placed in Manhattan is going to draw a lot of spotlight and heat. Hell, Matt Damon got caught being a dumbass on Project Greenlight last night and that's multiple articles and a 5 page thread here, yunno? Is Nolan, or the studio, willing to eat the shit they're guaranteed to eat if they proceed with whitewashing one of the single most widely known Anime ever made?

guek

Banned
That's why it's the question, for me. He's got enough clout to push the issue. If anyone at that studio could make the case that he doesn't want to, and he shouldn't have to, change the fundamental nature of Akira for the sake of making a movie out of it, it's probably Nolan. Would he be willing to spend that capital on this movie?

And if not - then what about the material is calling to him so much that he's looking to ride herd over another three-part comics-adaptation? And what angle could he possibly provide to Akira that would somehow justify taking it out of Japan and giving it to Joseph Gordon Levitt and Leonardo DiCaprio? Is there even such a thing? And if there isn't, why would Nolan be dumb enough to convince himself that's the way he should go?

This is why I'm becoming increasingly convinced that if there is any truth to this, it's actually for a very loose adaptation that would have very few directly transposed elements.

I'm not certain this is really true. Or rather, the definition of "star" has become diluted enough that it doesn't mean what it used to mean. I really do think Nolan's name has recognition, period. The marketing for every movie after Batman Begins put Nolan right up front. The casts are solid, yes, but Warner Bros makes sure to let everyone know that the real draw isn't that Leonardo DiCaprio is stealing dreams, or Matthew McConaughey is surfing killer waves in outer space. It's that Christopher Nolan is going to fuck with your senses again. That's almost always the thrust of the marketing for all his films.

What America will and won't show up for has less to do with stars, and more to do with branding/concept, anymore. They don't even have to be all that familiar with the branding, so long as its presented strongly, and they can wrap their heads around the concept. Nolan and WB have created a little brand for themselves, and it's very successful, and it's tied into making very large sci-fi that seems very smart for a blockbuster.

Akira fits right in with that. But an Akira taken out of Japan and placed in Manhattan is going to draw a lot of spotlight and heat. Hell, Matt Damon got caught being a dumbass on Project Greenlight last night and that's multiple articles and a 5 page thread here, yunno? Is Nolan, or the studio, willing to eat the shit they're guaranteed to eat if they proceed with whitewashing one of the single most widely known Anime ever made?
Concept sells, but you still need high profile talent in front of the camera to get attention. Studios still pay a bulk of budget to get hot stars, because they bring in cash. The audience will be more willing to give your film a chance if they've got a familiar point of reference.

As for potiental controversy, I somewhat agree. The audience most likely to care about Nolan or Akira is also the most likely to take offense at a whitewashed cast, or a sloppily westernized take on the material. But if they can sell the core of America on a Sci-Fi adventure with grand visuals and big name actors, that controversy gets drowned out.

I remember hearing when this first came about (or at least the first time I heard about it) when it was mentioned that Leonardo Di Caprio would play Kaneda and Joseph Gordon Levitt would play Tetsuo. That was before inception.

Looking back at all the people that got involved with it, those who were rumored to play Kaneda/Tetsuo etc, that actually would have been the "best" for what it is.

I still don't think it's a good idea, but...well whatever...it's Hollywood I guess.

Concept sells, but you still need high profile talent in front of the camera to get attention.

Again, I don't think this is necessarily true at all, or rather, the bar for "high profile talent" has been significantly lowered in the last 20-25 years. "Star Power" isn't really as much a factor as it used to be, and the level at which "Star" counts isn't as high as it once was, and is allowed to be even lower the stronger the concept/branding is.

Paul Rudd headlined a sci-fi action adventure this year. Chris Pratt headlined one last year. Vin Diesel can't open anything that doesn't have cars and The Rock also in it (and the Rock couldn't open shit until this year, and he had to co-star with the San Andreas fault). Nobody knows who the fuck any of the actors in Straight Outta Compton are, except for that one dude from Leverage, and he got stuck playing Ren so it didn't matter anyway.

As for potiental controversy, I somewhat agree. The audience most likely to care about Nolan or Akira is also the most likely to take offense at a whitewashed cast, or a sloppily westernized take on the material. But if they can sell the core of America on a Sci-Fi adventure with grand visuals and big name actors, that controversy gets drowned out.

I don't know that they get drowned out that easily. The speed and volume with which a narrative can be spread makes it harder to drown things out, especially if the voice pushing a narrative is the core, targeted audience for the property.

Basically, I have a hard time seeing the entertainment media giving Chris Nolan a pass for whitewashing on that large a level. Especially after a summer in which the industry finally seems to have realized that diversity in big-budget filmmaking is a huge positive.

Do you think he would try to get teenage actors or just make the characters older?

Because I don't think Akira would work well with older characters but also there aren't a lot of good young actors.

I think a trilogy might be the right step for this property.

But I can only imagine how Nolan is going to try to over-explain this premise.

George Miller should collaborate.

Servbot24

Banned
Don't think he's the best choice, but I would still buy a ticket to see his take.

I bet Nolan could make a great Death Note movie.

If Nolan has tighter grip on this, than what he had for Man of Steel, there chance the films will look great visually.

Nolan had almost zero grip on Man of Steel, so it'd be pretty hard for him NOT to have more input on this proposed trilogy.

Keep in mind, the only source for this rumor is Den of Geek. That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom