• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan Rips HBO Max as "Worst Streaming Service," Denounces Warner Bros.' Plan

thefool

Dude is still salty that Tenet flopped?

Tenet is one of the biggest original movies released in the last few years, and it was released during a pandemic. This narrative is a bit weird. Ain't no name in this world that puts people on a movie theater like Nolan.

If people can't understand what people are saying, id say that's a bit of an issue

But if you prefer the more muffled version, more power to you, not like dark Knight rises is even a film worth watching twice anyway

It's an issue for them, just like your bad taste is an issue for you.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Streaming is exploding, HBO Max is common how do you hate the service? Sounds like an old man, viewing habits have changed. There’s still theaters out there Nolan.

Hudo

Tenet is one of the biggest original movies released in the last few years, and it was released during a pandemic. This narrative is a bit weird. Ain't no name in this world that puts people on a movie theater like Nolan.
Never said the movie is bad, just that the dude comes off as salty.

In fact, I really like all of Nolan's movies, except for Dunkirk, which I found very disappointing.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
If the movie studios were worried and the theater chains were worried about shutting down, then they should have sued the hell out of local and state governments that forced them to close. But, no, they can't go against the "mostly" liberal narrative about lockdowns. They should have done it. They should have sued. They should have used any extra cash they had and sued them all into oblivion. Why not? They're going to lose the money anyway.

But, now, a man (me) that took his family to the movies about a dozen times a year, won't see another movie in a theater at least within the next decade. NOT because of COVID scare and NOT because of "comfy couch, home theater" bullshit either. Because the studios and the theater chains are pussies. They bought the narrative of lockdowns and now they're paying the price for it. Fuck em.

Oh and fuck anyone who is saying Nolan is at fault for releasing a movie during a pandemic. They could've social distance, required masks, and taken temps at the theater to let them stay open and keep people safe. But, because of poor leadership, the middle men (NOT rich millionaire movie stars), the working grunts at both the theaters and the studios are now out of a job. That is not because of Christopher Nolan. That is because of the lockdowns. So fuck you for supporting them.

Also, while I'm giving out fucks, fuck the basement-dwelling, bathrobe-wearing losers who think this is a good thing because now you can watch $200 million dollar blockbusters on your couch a month sooner. I swear all of you live in the same shitty town and must have the same shitty theater experience since that's all your arguments ever consists of. My theater experiences have been mostly positive in my lifetime. As in probably 99% of the time. Why do you think it's such a good thing to limit people's choices just because sunlight burns your eyes when you leave your basement to go to a theater? Unless you are super rich, you do not own the equivalent of a movie theater experience. I'm sorry, you just don't.

Besides, you dumbasses think this is sustainable? They can sell tickets PER PERSON to see a highly anticipated new movie. With Wonder Woman, I ain't paying for shit since I already have an HBO Max account through a friend. That's $50 of my money they will never get and this will happen all over the country.

There is a major drought of movies coming and it is not a virus's fault nor is it the fault of what you guys think of is some out-of-touch movie director. It is 100% because of the unnecessary, draconian, smooth-brained leftist politicians and their precious lockdown policies.

Last edited:

Tranquil

We're in a new era of twitch streaming, content everywhere. I don't think most are looking for quality anymore, they just want something to watch
Honestly I don't even know what twitch streaming is. I just like good shows with an engaging story line that's well acted.

e&e

Banned
I don’t care about people that are making millions of dollars crying. Go get your damn lawyer and work something out. As a consumer this is the BEST decision ever...

AJUMP23

Gold Member
HBO Max is pretty lame. No HDR 4k options. Isn't included in HBO streaming, but is its own thing. Have to jump through other access points to get it since they haven't set up deals with major streaming devices. Yada yada.
WW84 is the first one coming in 4k and HDR I believe.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I don’t care about people that are making millions of dollars crying. Go get your damn lawyer and work something out. As a consumer this is the BEST decision ever...

If WB has the rights because they funded the movie, they can distribute it any way they see fit. Nolan may have clause in his contract that his movies must be in theaters.

ruvikx

Banned
Adapt or die, Nolan.

Streaming is just TV under a different name, you realize that, right?

It's lipstick on a pig (bad lipstick as well, because the quality is shittier than native blue ray players). If TV was the end-goal of movie studios, why not embrace cable/satellite 20, 30 years ago?

But nope, someone plugs their internet into their TV & suddenly the corporate suits are like "we can bypass cinema!".

Bolivar687

Banned
1260710343244.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Never said the movie is bad, just that the dude comes off as salty.

In fact, I really like all of Nolan's movies, except for Dunkirk, which I found very disappointing.
He does have a point though. It is going to kill movies and that means the end of the big budget action adventure. I highly doubt people will go back to the cinema after getting a taste of home video for cheap. $15 a month for a service you can easily share with your family and friends is going to end up costing them billions in the long run.

The move is clearly put forward by an exec or a suit who gives no fucks about the movie industry and just wants to make some money before jumping ship.

He isn't entirely wrong. HBO Max is not available in my country so you know full well I ain't coming to America to watch the movies and I'll just pick the other choice ☠ :)

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Something that always bugged me is that if the Oscars are supposed to be a celebration of the art of cinema then why do most of their voters watch all of these movies in their home theaters?

Hugare

Theaters aren't dead. And they won't die.

Big chains will probably go bankrupt, but there will be demand post covid, so new cinemas will open

But streaming will gain even more traction, yeah

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Good.

I use to love going to the movies; for example, one summer during my adolescence I saw Ang Lee's Hulk three times, X2: X-Men United twice, The Matrix Reloaded twice, and Bruce Almighty. I'd go during matinee hours to save money and to avoid crowds.

However, my most recent trips to the cinema, courtesy of AMC A-List and prior to the pandemic, have been different. More people go during matinee hours and they seem to be mostly comprised of couples, who stare at single guys like we're creeps or something. The atmosphere is completely different and not in a good way.

thefool

You think the streaming trend will follow the path of 3D? Lol?

Theaters are dead.

No, I don't. You're the one doing the sentences, which I think are premature, similarly to other past sentences concerning the movie industry. I think there's more than enough space for both.

Last edited:

Vyndktvx

Neo Member
Nolan is a pretentious twat who has crawled up his own ass. I bet he seriously thought Tenet was going to “save cinema” or some shit. That said WB has handled this as retardedly as they possibly could, sounds like they panicked when they realized their only big offering for 2021 was a Zack Snyder movie that looks straight out of the 2000s and which already flopped.

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
Dude is still salty that Tenet flopped?

Wasn't a big fan of Tenet, but I wouldn't say it really flopped. Considering how messed up 2020 has been, it is a miracle it even did as good as it did and that is probably a credit to the draw Nolan is. It definitely would have took more if not for the pandemic.

I can understand why Nolan isn't too happy about the movies going straight to streaming services. It's great for people at home, but can't imagine many people in the business are happy about it.

Top Bottom