• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Cross accent generator

B.K.

I feel like punishing myself a bit, so I'm considering replaying Chrono Cross. I hate the accents in the game though. I remember reading once that they have a system in the game that generates the character's accents as you play the game. Is there any Gameshark or other cheat device code to turn them off?

B.K. said:
I feel like punishing myself a bit, so I'm considering replaying Chrono Cross. I hate the accents in the game though. I remember reading once that they have a system in the game that generates the character's accents as you play the game. Is there any Gameshark or other cheat device code to turn them off?

I'm sure the text is hardcoded on the discs, so no.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The fuck. Sounds almost as unrealistic as the Lara Croft nude secret code of sex anticipating puberty.

B.K.

Digital-Hero said:
I'm sure the text is hardcoded on the discs, so no.

They've said that they use a generator for the accents in the game. They're supposedly generated in real time as you play the game.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
B.K. said:
They've said that they use a generator for the accents in the game. They're supposedly generated in real time as you play the game.

That would blow peoples mind if you could turn them off, what you are doing is dangerous thinking there stop it! :lol

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Forkball said:
Is there a code to turn the game into a real sequel to Chrono Trigger?
Yeah, but you need to hook a keyboard to the system then type.

S
H
U
T
[space]
U
P
[space]
C
H
R
O
N
O
[space]
C
R
O
S
S
[space]
R
U
L
E
S

RevenantKioku said:
Yeah, but you need to hook a keyboard to the system then type.

S
H
U
T
[space]
U
P
[space]
C
H
R
O
N
O
[space]
C
R
O
S
S
[space]
R
U
L
E
S
I tried that but i got an error saying "critical error the word Rules and Chrono Cross can't be use in the sentence did you mean Chrono Trigger?"

any idea of to fixed this i really want to play the real sequel :(

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
BishopLamont said:
Dude, CC is not only a fun game with a great soundtrack, it is BALLSY.
It takes goddamned BALLS to
kill the main characters from the first game.
And while that makes me hurt on the inside, that is why I love it. Because it is not afraid to toy with my emotions like a real lover.

Alex

Mowing through the aged Chrono Trigger port has give me new appreciation for Chrono Cross for... you know... having gameplay. Trigger was fun in 95, now it just feels like a Choose your own Adventure book without the actual choosing part. Maybe I'm just not latchkey enough for the SNES "classics" anymore.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
B.K. said:
Da fuck you mean "Punish myself", huh? CC is amazing.

Vorador

Banned
Accents generated in real time?

uncharted2_oh_noes.gif

RevenantKioku

Night_Trekker said:
wtf I never found that out :(

got right to the end but didn't finish it
Well, you missed it then! It was pretty far into the game but not near the end.
Alex said:
Mowing through the aged Chrono Trigger port has give me new appreciation for Chrono Cross for... you know... having gameplay. Trigger was fun in 95, now it just feels like a Choose your own Adventure book without the actual choosing part. Maybe I'm just not latchkey enough for the SNES "classics" anymore.
C'mon, Alex. We all know you were never enough anything to be anything. Except FF11-crazy.
<3

Orlics

Night_Trekker said:
wtf I never found that out :(

got right to the end but didn't finish it

They're mentioned as a sidenote in some part of the dialogue in that area called the Sea of... ah fuck it I remember nothing from that game.

RevenantKioku said:

Orlics said:
They're mentioned as a sidenote in some part of the dialogue in that area called the Sea of... ah fuck it I remember nothing from that game.

Oh, I remember that now.

I should actually finish CC. It's a great game and a gutsy change from the CT template for a sequel to one of the best RPGs of all time. I still think a sequel that simply went "bigger and better" would have failed.

RevenantKioku said:

Oh please, stop pretending you could make any sense at all from CC's clusterfuck of a story. Nobody actually read the text of that dungeon and lived to see daylight again.

RevenantKioku

Son of Godzilla said:
Oh please, stop pretending you could make any sense at all from CC's clusterfuck of a story. Nobody actually read the text of that dungeon and lived to see daylight again.
Well, excuuuuuuuse me, princess.
Not my fault I'm butt-fucking great.

soco

now i kinda wanna play chrono cross. i bought it ages ago and i think it's still wrapped.

what's the code to change all the accents to pipe them through the valley girl interpreter?

okno

I've never, ever, ever, ever understood the hate for Chrono Cross. It was the first Playstation RPG I ever bought (just after buying my first PS2 (never owned a PSX)) and I loved the hell out of it, so much that I played it twice (Had never before and have never again done this with an RPG before, Grandia 2 almost got me, but the ending is so bad I couldn't). The soundtrack is fantastic, the art style is neat, the multitude of characters you could get was fun and I really enjoyed giving each character a try (little space alien guy ruled), the battle system was fun, and the story was good but not great (felt kind of like they were just beating you over the head before the end).

I dunno. I love Chrono Cross, and I've been dying to play it again, but don't have the means to do so.

Ydahs

Son of Godzilla said:
It's story was hard to understand? I played the game when I was thirteen and again when I was fifteen and I had no trouble understanding most, if not all, of the story. Maybe I'll replay it for a third time (though first I need a new copy...)!

Greatest game I've ever played in my book.

okno said:
I've never, ever, ever, ever understood the hate for Chrono Cross.

Chrono Cross is the "sequel" to Chrono Trigger, and nothing in Cross comes close to what Chrono Trigger was. Everything is completely and entirely different (style, characters, world), and for the majority of the game, the ties to Trigger are tenuous at best. It is more like a game where Chrono Trigger characters have some very, very minor cameos it. As icing on the cake, when Trigger characters ARE mentioned, it's usually to say
they suffered a lot and all died horrible, painful deaths

That, I would say, is why Chrono Cross is hated: It's not Chrono Trigger 2.

Scribble

If they REALLY wanted to
Bring the Trigger cast back for the third game
, they could do that, couldn't they? And quite easily, I imagine, considering the main themes of Trigger and Cross.

NeoUltima

I love seeing people get upset and calling Cross shit cause they don't like what it did to the Trigger story...I guess that makes the entire game crap huh? Let's just focus on one shortcoming and ignore everything else good about it....

Also, its not like *spoilers*
what they did in CT was all for nothing . The events of trigger ---> events of cross ---> eventual defeat of lavos/time devourer
If they did nothing in CT, then the world would have been doomed anyway.

Deku

Banned
If there is such a thing, i doubt its anything more complex than a simple mail merge style mechanism where characters may take on particular cadence in their speech with pre-canned phrases substituted interchangeably and inserted in between scripted text.

But I don't know where this rumour came from.

Also CC is a game good enough to stand on its own, not as a sequel to Trigger. The soundtrack alone is mindblowing.

NeoUltima said:
I love seeing people get upset and calling Cross shit cause they don't like what it did to the Trigger story...I guess that makes the entire game crap huh? Let's just focus on one shortcoming and ignore everything else good about it....

Also, its not like *spoilers*
what they did in CT was all for nothing . The events of trigger ---> events of cross ---> eventual defeat of lavos/time devourer
If they did nothing in CT, then the world would have been doomed anyway.

I also found the plot that was there ridiculously boring. I loved the music, I liked the art style (even though I missed having Toriyama), but I did not like anything else about the game. Not just because it abandoned things from Trigger, but, because, on its own, it just wasn't a very interesting RPG. It was dense and confusing, with a stupid battle system (I wasn't a fan of the elemental area of effects, or being able to use spells only once, or never gaining EXP and leveling up like a normal RPG), and, as always: too many useless additions to the cast. Claim that they are "optional" if you want, but few of them add anything to the game and nobody would probably care if half the cast of playable characters did not exist. Even optional things should have a reason for being there, and many of the extra characters in CC did not.

The only real problem I had with Cross was the three character only battler system. Oh and some character's stories were left simply unfinished.

Syril

The plot in Chrono Cross felt like it was written to make no sense to anyone who hadn't played Chrono Trigger and severely piss off most people who had.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Chrono's plot, serious business.

And no, B.K., I don't think there's a solution to your problem.

Vorador

Banned
I stopped trying to make sense out of CC plot years ago. There's as many interpretations of the plot as people have played it, there's too many loose ends and unexplained things on the script. Maybe a botched localization? i don't know :-/

Esperado

RevenantKioku said:
Dude, CC is not only a fun game with a great soundtrack, it is BALLSY.
It takes goddamned BALLS to
kill the main characters from the first game.
And while that makes me hurt on the inside, that is why I love it. Because it is not afraid to toy with my emotions like a real lover.

I think your last hat purchase might have been like 3 sizes too small.

Baryn

Banned
flintstryker said:
I tried that but i got an error saying "critical error the word Rules and Chrono Cross can't be use in the sentence did you mean Chrono Trigger?"

any idea of to fixed this i really want to play the real sequel :(
But Chrono Cross is... a better game.

Walshicus

I'm confused, what are these accents and how do they work? Are they just text that gets modified somehow, or are we talking sound files?

Threi

notag
Baryn said:
But Chrono Cross is... a better game.
its not better (well ignoring the music and artstyle), but I sure as hell liked it more.

I would much prefer to see a CC sequel than a CT sequel at this point.

RevenantKioku

Esperado said:
I think your last hat purchase might have been like 3 sizes too small.
Who knows! I haven't worn a hat in months!

Top Bottom