• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS Dated, Hits November 25

I'm not getting my hopes up for too much extra content, but that's fine. It's Chrono Trigger, I'll finally buy a DS on November 25.

Now, a little bit of thread sniping...
SabinFigaro said:
I'm calling it right now, Singing Mountain is the "new" dungeon. Why create new assets when you can recycle old ones?

BWAHAHA! Lazy and profitable!!!
I wish George Lucas subscribed to your theory of "lazy and profitable", rather than tearing down his original trilogy in a way I can only assume you approve of.

I'd much rather they include deleted content (ie Singing Mountain) than some guy's probably inaccurate and ill-fated attempt to recreate the CT magic for a port 13 years later.

Elfforkusu said:
I wish George Lucas subscribed to your theory of "lazy and profitable", rather than tearing down his original trilogy in a way I can only assume you approve of.

I'd much rather they include deleted content (ie Singing Mountain) than some guy's probably inaccurate and ill-fated attempt to recreate the CT magic for a port 13 years later.
Sarcasm has failed me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Mejilan said:
Day 1, Phantasy Star IV cost me $95. Many SNES and Genesis RPGs debuted with $70+ pricetags in my part of the country, anyway. NJ, that is.

What year did that come out, we should enter it into the inflation calculator to see how much it really cost. :lol

Tobor

Catchpenny said:
I recall a lot of the "exceptions" for SNES/Genesis games being due to the $10 or so Gamestop would add to the MSRP of many titles. Since Gamestop was the only place a kid like me could go to get certain titles, we had no choice.

Perhaps my memory is failing me, though.

You're memory is definitely failing you. In the SNES/Genesis era, you would have been shopping at Babbage's, Electronic's Boutique, or Funcoland.

I recall a lot of the "exceptions" for SNES/Genesis games being due to the $10 or so Gamestop would add to the MSRP of many titles. Since Gamestop was the only place a kid like me could go to get certain titles, we had no choice.

Yeah, Gamestop and EB, er, Babbages and Electronic Boutique, gouged prices left and right in the 16 bit days. I paid $59.99 for Chrono Trigger at Toys R Us. Probably went for $74.99 at the specialty stores.

Cipherr

Oh wow....funcoland. Such memories. They even had their own little newspaper you could get that listed the price of all of their used games you could buy for EVERY platform that they carried stuff for.

Amazing.

In any case I will finally get to play through Chrono. Ive played through some of it, but never finished it.

vareon

Chrono Trigger! It's about time.

I'll pick this up when the price drops a bit, though. $40 seems a bit too much for now.

Teetris said:
At least the music portion will be remade. Make it awesome Mitsuda!
.....hope they include an option to let us use the original soundtrack. Not that I'm not looking forward to the new one, but seeing how they screwed up FF4a/FF5a's soundtrack, I'm just a bit worried.

Either way, this is day 1 for me.

Teetris said:
At least the music portion will be remade.

The music is not being "remade." New sound programming and design is being done to ensure that the music in the DS version sounds as close as possible to the original.

charlequin said:
The music is not being "remade." New sound programming and design is being done to ensure that the music in the DS version sounds as close as possible to the original.
...that's...a relief! =D

Man God said:
What year did that come out, we should enter it into the inflation calculator to see how much it really cost. :lol

Lol.

Though game development and media manufacturing costs had more to do with it. The latter in particular is why many SNES, Genesis and N64 games cost so much, and the former is seemingly responsible for the baseline $60 price tag for 360 and PS3 games these days.

24+ megabit snes rpgs were super expensive back in the day. I paid about $120 for seiken densetsu 3 in 1995. and chrono and FFIII probably cost about $70 bucks. So I think it's kind of goofy how people whine about the game being $40 now.

that said, it *is* kind of a rip at forty bucks - the game is pretty much Chrono Trigger Advance. not some 3D overhaul. but hey, its chrono trigger. whats it matter if it cost 10 bucks more.

Nintendo Ate My Children said:
Yeah, Gamestop and EB, er, Babbages and Electronic Boutique, gouged prices left and right in the 16 bit days. I paid $59.99 for Chrono Trigger at Toys R Us. Probably went for $74.99 at the specialty stores.

Wtf? What TRU did you shop at that sold it for that price? The one near me sold it for 74.99.

Teknoman said:
Theoretically...shouldnt the sound quality be even better than the SNES version?

You wish.
I wish.
FFIV DS sounds mostly inferior to the original SNES version.

Himuro said:
The only way to do 3d CT justice if it looked like this:

dragon-quest-8.jpg

Or this maybe?

MagusLair0.jpg

*still disappointed this got shutdown, but was expected*

AlexM

bgassassin said:
Or this maybe?

MagusLair0.jpg

I'm sorry, while I respect what they're trying(tried) to do. That's essentially blasphemy.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
duckroll said:
Full priced Chrono Trigger was like 90 bucks. I doubt this will be anywhere close to 90 bucks, so it's a pretty good deal!
I payed close to 100 bucks to import it back in the day.

All my saved up Christmas monies!!

Yottamole

Banned
xs_mini_neo said:
You wish.
I wish.
Still, this port is being overseen by the original music composer, so hopefully it will at least match the original version.

Joei

November 25th may be the day I buy a DS.

And as for the price issues... I remember Mortal Kombat 2 cost me (my mom) 70$ at Kmart. Ogre Battle was 80$ at a local game shop (all my money for a school trip that I didn't spend there). Even Mega Man X was like 60$. People seriously have no f'n clue now.

NolbertoS

Himuro said:
No, that looks ugly.

I liked the CT Resurrection's idea of a 3-D Chrono, actually. I was saddened to hear when they shut down. Rather than lazying porting Chrono Trigger, SE should honestly think about redoing it in 3-D, only cuz they can milk the franchise as much as they want, cuz the way they're heading, they'll eventually release a 3-D remake in the future. Might as well do it now, than later.

Negaiido

Whats with the whining about the price here? Last time I checked we, Europeans, still had to pay a lot more if you compare it to Americans.

Zoe

bgassassin said:
Or this maybe?

http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/MagusLair0.jpg[/IMG]

It's because of people like you that shit like this happens :(

Bizzyb said:
I really really hope they spruce up the graphical presentation by adding some sharper sprites and/or snazzier 3d effects for the Techs

Sharper sprites are not really possible on a system with a lower-resolution screen. In fact, you should expect one of two things: blurry sprites, or the edges of the screen cut off. Man I wish this was coming to the Virtual Console where the graphics wouldn't have to suffer at all.

Teknoman

charlequin said:
...no?

The SNES had an incredibly powerful sound chip (designed by Ken Kutaragi!) that still beats out the native sound capabilities of the DS.

xs_mini_neo said:
You wish.
I wish.

Hmm...that I didnt know. I thought the arrangements sounded better, but I guess that has nothing to do with actual sound quality.

NolbertoS said:
I liked the CT Resurrection's idea of a 3-D Chrono, actually. I was saddened to hear when they shut down. Rather than lazying porting Chrono Trigger, SE should honestly think about redoing it in 3-D, only cuz they can milk the franchise as much as they want, cuz the way they're heading, they'll eventually release a 3-D remake in the future. Might as well do it now, than later.

As long as they adapt it as faithfully as Toriyama's creations were for Dragon Quest VIII.

Knocks

Actually, the DS is capable of MUCH better sound than the original because of expanded cartridge storage. They could orchestrate the whole thing and stream it in some 40-50 extra megabytes.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Yaweee said:
No, that looks hideous.

I still have a hard time comprehending that people were looking forward to it.

Quoted for so much truth, the game was absolutely horrible looking.

I rather have an upgraded CT with ultra high resolution sprites, or a 2.5D game. Anything other than that is wrong, especially if the original developers have nothing to do with the game.

Dreamwriter said:
Man I wish this was coming to the Virtual Console where the graphics wouldn't have to suffer at all.

I'm not so sure about that anymore.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12415397&postcount=24105
Ranger X said:
Nintendo is adjusting the flashing stuff in ALL VC releases if needed.

This is because their health prevention rules and Lotcheck (prog guidelines) are way more severe now than back in the day.

You will notice it doesn't flash multiple times anymore when you beat a Bowser kid in SMB3.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Like everyone else, I'm really excited for the new dungeons and "arena" mode.

And personally, I'm very glad that the game is keeping the old art and not using new 3D assets. Personally, I think the 3D in FFIII and FFIV DS is ugly as sin and Chrono Trigger was always visually appealing anyway.

In regards to the concerns to the sound quality

...could have sworn Jeremy Parish aka ToastyFrog, said they he had a chance to hear Chrono at an event (E3 I believe) and said it was sounding just as good as he remebered it.....

dragonlife29 said:
Goddammit, is this really $40? =/ That is just criminal! I was hoping it'd be $30, seeing as how it's a port.

It's not really what I'd consider a port, though. They can't reuse hardly anything directly from the original game. The music was written as code for the SNES sound chip, the DS has no sound chip. The art was designed for a higher-res screen. Even if they have the original game's source code (very doubtful), they can't use any of it. Really, the only things they are saving development costs on are game design, balancing, and art design. Just be glad 4MB with battery cartridges no longer cost so much to manufacture that the game has to cost $80 plus tax! And the cart will be a LOT larger, resources just take more space on a DS cart (especially sound). I personally hope they have a huge cart with high quality music taking up lots of space.

duckroll

Dreamwriter said:
It's not really what I'd consider a port, though. They can't reuse hardly anything directly from the original game. The music was written as code for the SNES sound chip, the DS has no sound chip. The art was designed for a higher-res screen. Even if they have the original game's source code (very doubtful), they can't use any of it. Really, the only things they are saving development costs on are game design, balancing, and art design. Just be glad 4MB with battery cartridges no longer cost so much to manufacture that the game has to cost $80 plus tax! And the cart will be a LOT larger, resources just take more space on a DS cart (especially sound). I personally hope they have a huge cart with high quality music taking up lots of space.

It's a port. I dunno what you "consider" a port, but you just described what every single port is. :p

Edit: CT on the SNES was 256x224, and the DS resolution is 256x192. That means they're able to pretty much use all the backgrounds and sprites exactly as they were. Nice try though. :)

Top Bottom