• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chuck E. Cheese's plans to replace animatronic bands with live performers

Weetrick

tumblr_inline_mkd2vpez431qz4rgp.gif

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
This is a cursed thread. Furries and mascots are my worst fear.

There was a Chuck E. Cheese in West Long Branch, NJ and it closed I think more than a year ago. Before that it was a discovery zone, I don't think this will help much.

Ah my first irrational fear I conquered as a kid ... By running away without screaming or crying when we made eye contact across the room.

Drencrom

So they created animatronics and worked on them for decades only to replace them with actual live performers?

Automation reversal

Is this even bad? I mean, those things were creepy as heck and Five Nights at Freddy's probably did not make things better. It's not like even the modern ones look good at all. or maybe when I hear "animatronic" I think about stuff like the ones used in Gremlins.

They could switch to something like CGI and an holographic projection. Like when they brought Tupac back from the dead.

There was a Chuck E. Cheese in West Long Branch, NJ and it closed I think more than a year ago. Before that it was a discovery zone, I don't think this will help much.

Discovery Zone for life, yo. My little brother had birthday parties there when he was pretty young. Place was awesome.

JMTHEFOX

What a legacy. I used to go to.a Chuck E. Cheese when I was 6. It was the only time I have been to a CEC restaurant, but it was great for what it was. While I can understand why the animatronics freak most people out, they didn't scare even looking back. I think they had charm.

Having said that, I will miss those animatronics. I don't think that having real bands will give the same charm imho.

jstripes

Banned
What a legacy. I used to go to.a Chuck E. Cheese when I was 6. It was the only time I have been to a CEC restaurant, but it was great for what it was. While I can understand why the animatronics freak most people out, they didn't scare even looking back. I think they had charm.

Having said that, I will miss those animatronics. I don't think that having real bands will give the same charm imho.

It's a generational thing too.

When I was a kid the idea of robots, as primitive a they were, was amazing. Now it seems kids couldn't care less about robots.

AColdDay

Our Chuck E Cheese has an animatronic Chuck E that went largely ignored by my five year old son. However, he was incredibly excited to see the a person in the costume and ran up to hug Chuck E several times. The person in costume would walk around the game area with a sign for "free tickets" and it was like a pied piper type thing because you would just see this army of children following it.

FyreWulff

Is this even bad? I mean, those things were creepy as heck and Five Nights at Freddy's probably did not make things better. It's not like even the modern ones look good at all. or maybe when I hear "animatronic" I think about stuff like the ones used in Gremlins.

They could switch to something like CGI and an holographic projection. Like when they brought Tupac back from the dead.

There was a documentary on this a while back, forgot where I saw it. They took the technology from the original guy that invented and put them together for ShowBiz Pizza. They cut him off from payments, and then they started using cheaper materials and didn't bother to maintain or update anything.

So they've basically been running off fumes of tech they took in the mid-80s.

Misha

Banned
have they done a redesign yet?(sounds like no) I can't imagine a Chuck E. Cheese's that doesn't look like its from the 80's/90's. The jank was half the charm

...but it probably doesn't help them get new business

I always found the Showbiz Pizza band like a million times more creepy
If "Creepier", you mean "better", yeah!

J/K, they are all janky as fuck. Still thought Showbiz Pizza was a better place than Chuck E. Cheese's, though. At least my blind nostalgia has told me that much!

Village

You're getting cause and effect mixed up. FNAF worked because everyone already thought these animatronics were creepy.

Yep

Speaking of which, Chuck E Cheese, if you all of sudden when you move to human preformers in suits... uh have employee's or get job application from men with pikish purple skin and creepy smiles. Don't uh... don't do it, get rid of that guy.

He's not on the up and up

Reversed

Kids that love FNAF don't actually play the games, do they?

It's gotta be the toy merchandise they look on their tablets what they like. If I played the games I'd be traumatized.

Village

It's gotta be the toy merchandise they look on their tablets what they like. If I played the games I'd be traumatized.

Some kids play fnaf, but yeah the idea of fnaf has spread farther than the games themselves

There was a documentary on this a while back, forgot where I saw it. They took the technology from the original guy that invented and put them together for ShowBiz Pizza. They cut him off from payments, and then they started using cheaper materials and didn't bother to maintain or update anything.

That-s basically Five Nights at Freddy-s in a nutshell... damn. I need to watch a let-s play of it again.

adj_noun

I don't know how big watching other people play it on Youtube is

But it's big

If they're not playing it, they're watching Markiplier, Pewdiepie, or Jacksepticeye play it. The animatronics themselves are the creepy thing that's "in".

Aren't they making a movie too?

Yeah I took my nephew to Chuck E Cheese a couple weeks ago. No robot band, they had a guy in a Chuck E Cheese suit come out and throw tickets at the kids for a bit and that was it. Just Chuck E, no band. Shit was whack, my 4 year old nephew loved it tho.

Wood Man

Chuck E Cheese is terrible. Last time I went with my daughter we were bored within 15 minutes. It loses it's novelty very quick. I told her next time we might as well go to Toys R' Us and buy you a cool toy, pick up a pizza then go home and play better video games that daddy owns.

Poppy

Chuck E Cheese is terrible. Last time I went with my daughter we were bored within 15 minutes. It loses it's novelty very quick. I told her next time we might as well go to Toys R' Us and buy you a cool toy, pick up a pizza then go home and play better video games that daddy owns.
the only reason i ever enjoyed being at chuck e cheese is because they had a simpsons and xmen beat em up cab

MUNCH'S MAKE BELIEVE BAND -- the farewell tour

DON'T MISS THE LEGENDARY FINAL PERFORMANCES OF THE GREATEST ANIMATRONIC BAND IN ROCK AND ROLL HISTORY

Tickets go on sale MIDNIGHT TONIGHT

WedgeX

Banned

That's also the basis for much of the Dark Tower series.

Top Bottom