• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities Skylines 2 reportedly runs with 7-12fps on an Intel Core i9 13900KS with AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX at 4K/High Settings

Draugoth

Gold Member
Cities-Skylines-2-feature-2-1038x576.jpg

Cities Skylines 2 will release in a few days and from the looks of it, it will be one of the worst-optimized PC games of 2023. According to some early benchmarks, this new city builder runs with 7-12fps on an Intel Core i9 13900KS with an AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX at 4K/High Settings.

PCGamesHardware got access to the game and shared some early benchmarks. And, as we can see, the game performs horribly on AMD’s most powerful GPU.

At 4K/High Settings, the game can drop to 7fps and usually averages at 12fps. Even with AMD FSR 1.0 at 50% resolution scale, the game cannot come close to 30fps. Let me repeat that. With AMD FSR 1.0 at 50%, so basically with an internal resolution at 1080p, Cities Skylines 2 runs at 25fps on the AMD RX 7900XTX. Ouch.

Cities Skylines 2 is using the Unity Engine and from what we know, it does not feature any Ray Tracing effects. So, I’m curious to see how PC gamers will react to this game which appears to look and perform worse than any of the recently released Unreal Engine 5 titles. Oh, and all the UE5 games use Nanite and Lumen, two features that can provide a huge visual improvement over what Unity Engine is currently capable of.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I know it does a lot of calculating. But can't it just be simcity 4 with better graphics?!

Embarrassing. These devs are starting to behave as if they can release any beta-level garbage and keep patching it, with people buying. It's like releases turning into alpha testing early access.

Three

Game is bound by terrible engine optimization. It's laughable that a game is released that runs on 7-12 FPS on top tier hardware.
It is but it would be good to know what they are doing a poor job on. CPU optimisation or GPU optimisation? I'm guessing it's GPU bound judging by the other thread.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This has to be the first game to require The Citadel in Reno, NV. Too bad it's so far away for me to okay this day one in FL.

I mapped it out and it's around a 23 hour drive with some out stops for pooping and eating at Denny's. I fairly excluded sight seeing.

Knightime_X

I wonder if this is one of those games where certain ultra settings are 2x-3x more expensive but looks exactly the same as high

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
It's not like that the first one is particulary good at optimization either. CS is a slideshow in more or less big cities, especially during the floods. And even a hog like Anno 1800 is running miles ahead of CS with all actual DLCs in terms of performance and visual density.

Unity in general is a poor choice for busy tycoon sims, so not surprising.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Unity? That's insane for game of this scale, given that Garbage Collector, which is inherent to C# lang will be stalling the game constantly.

Top Bottom